• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So after playing half the game without knowing the rules, now I see how Oregon works (helps to take the time to look at the rules quickly). Pretty cool; gives me a bit of a Carson City vibe (oh God that would be an amazing Yucata game).

AstroLad said:
So after playing half the game without knowing the rules, now I see how Oregon works (helps to take the time to look at the rules quickly). Pretty cool; gives me a bit of a Carson City vibe (oh God that would be an amazing Yucata game).

I just did a reread of the rules today too (my previous read had pretty much just said "use cards to place stuff, stuff next to other stuff gives you points, haha). Kinda digging it, and want to try Carson City now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm trying to round out a CSI order to be delivered to CA and greet me upon my arrival there this week. A self-move-in gift of sorts. Any ideas? It's a real bummer that CSI is OOS on Troyes.

So far all I have is Innovation. Looking for 2P games of 2P+ games that play decently with two. Also maybe someone could recommend and Alhambra expansion or two. We have base and we like it. Danke!

This is my collection fwiw: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/AstroLad

platypotamus said:
Math Trade got me Forbidden Island and Tikal, so that's nice.
I got Long Shot and Letters From Whitechappel and some mystery sweetener. Looking forward to both of them. I want to see if Letters fixes my problems with Fury of Dracula, which is mainly the combat.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
platypotamus said:
You kind of have everything I was preparing to recommend :\
Okay maybe I should just hold off then. :p It's been almost six months since my last CSI order! Unthinkable!

If they had Troyes that would be a no-brainer and I could throw in some M44 expansions or Vikings to round things out. I actually finally checked out the Compleat Strategist in midtown today finally (on my last day in the city har). The inventory was definitely cool but not really the kind of store I'd want to hang out in or anything. Hope the Bay Area has some nicer places. Also Troyes was like a katrillion dollars which was why I didn't get it there.

fenners

AstroLad said:
Okay maybe I should just hold off then. :p It's been almost six months since my last CSI order! Unthinkable!

If they had Troyes that would be a no-brainer and I could throw in some M44 expansions or Vikings to round things out. I actually finally checked out the Compleat Strategist in midtown today finally (on my last day in the city har). The inventory was definitely cool but not really the kind of store I'd want to hang out in or anything. Hope the Bay Area has some nicer places. Also Troyes was like a katrillion dollars which was why I didn't get it there.

Endgame over on the East side of the Bay, Gamescape in the city. I wouldn't necessarily "hang out" at GameScape, but the staff were cool, good solid game collection, and it's handy for that "must have" game at the very last minute. Man, I miss that city.

Cathcart

Have you guys seen and/or discussed this awesome Dominion card box that a Korean guy made? It's super sweet and he gives a lot of details about the construction but one thing I can't tell from the pictures is how he holds the two halves of the box together. There's a video at the bottom where you can see that it kind of clicks into place and stays together when fully extended so there must be some kind of slidy track thing or something underneath.

Anyway, really cool case. Obviously the biggest drawback is that there are a bajillion Dominion cards and they keep coming out but I don't play 9 hour Dominion marathons so I'd just load this up with a bunch of cards I expect to use on a given night. Or, you know, remove the base game insert and stuff 8 pounds of cards into it. I guess that's good, too.

Mashing

AstroLad said:
I'm trying to round out a CSI order to be delivered to CA and greet me upon my arrival there this week. A self-move-in gift of sorts. Any ideas? It's a real bummer that CSI is OOS on Troyes.

So far all I have is Innovation. Looking for 2P games of 2P+ games that play decently with two. Also maybe someone could recommend and Alhambra expansion or two. We have base and we like it. Danke!

This is my collection fwiw: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/AstroLad

I can't recommend the new LOTR LCG enough if you are into that sort of thing at all.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mashing said:
I can't recommend the new LOTR LCG enough if you are into that sort of thing at all.
that looks cool might check it out just for the 2p co-op (which is pretty damn rare) even though i'm not a huge fantasy guy

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Alright picked up a nice variety of things.

1 - Innovation Card Game (New, Board Games, Asmadi Games) at $17.49 each

1 - Lord of the Rings: The Card Game Core Set (New, Board Games, Fantasy Flight Games) at $26.99 each

1 - Roll Through the Ages Board Game (New, Board Games, Gryphon Games) at $22.99 each

1 - Alhambra Expansion 4: The Treasure Chamber (New, Board Games, Queen Games) at $19.99 each

1 - Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers Board Game (New, Board Games, Rio Grande Games) at $17.99 each

AstroLad said:
Also maybe someone could recommend and Alhambra expansion or two.

It might be too late for your current order but IMO the second expansion contains the best modules (although it might be my memory failing me). The fifth one is the real one to avoid, it tries too much to transform Alhambra into a completely new game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BomberMouse said:
It might be too late for your current order but IMO the second expansion contains the best modules (though it might be my memory failing me). The fifth one is the real one to avoid, it tries too much to transform Alhambra into a completely new game.
Yeah I was gonna get that one actually but decided to go with the fourth and just get the second with my Troyes/Miskatonic/etc. order in a month or two.

platypotamus said:
You could always go with something from my wishlist to guinea pig it for me.

Been really Eyeing Vinhos lately... London too.
London is pretty good. It's more of a hand management game with a little bit of Area control thrown in. I've played it with the full four and with two and both seemed to play pretty much the same. Player interaction is pretty low and there is only a couple cards that are there to actively screw your neighbor.

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
Alright picked up a nice variety of things.

1 - Innovation Card Game (New, Board Games, Asmadi Games) at $17.49 each

1 - Lord of the Rings: The Card Game Core Set (New, Board Games, Fantasy Flight Games) at $26.99 each

1 - Roll Through the Ages Board Game (New, Board Games, Gryphon Games) at $22.99 each

1 - Alhambra Expansion 4: The Treasure Chamber (New, Board Games, Queen Games) at $19.99 each

1 - Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers Board Game (New, Board Games, Rio Grande Games) at $17.99 each

Let's get a Carcassonne game on Yucata going, I want to learn it lol. Also always up for more balloon cup or compaign manager

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wow how did i miss this thread about how sirlin seems to have taken the puzzle-strike chip idea and design from some guy on bgg: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/591747/this-image-was-posted-to-bgg-back-in-nov-2008

puzzle strike is fine, but sirlin is is the worst, whether he's ragging on dominion in attempts to make his game look better or talking shit about online retailers for having the gall to sell his game for less than MSRP. his legions of defenders -- who seem to post nowhere but in sirlin games threads or in threads for games sirlin ripped off about how the sirlin version is better -- are interesting

Double post but I just saw this:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2266
A Deadly Machine 17
Announcing Gears of War: The Board Game, a cooperative game for 1-4 players
0ey1O.png

Humanity’s golden age came to a sudden and violent end on Emergence Day. Within 24 hours, a quarter of all human life on Sera was wiped out, and billions more were lost in the conflict that followed – an unending war that has reduced the planet’s surface to a smoking ruin. Now, one final desperate stand is all that remains to prevent the total annihilation of the human race. Gather your team. You are humanity’s last hope.

Fantasy Flight Games is thrilled to announce the upcoming release of Gears of War™: The Board Game! This fully cooperative design by Corey Konieczka pits 1–4 players against a cunning and relentless foe, and is based on the wildly popular series of third-person shooters by Epic Games.
Build your team from any of four COG soldiers and face an intelligent game system in one of seven randomly constructed scenarios. In Gears of War: The Board Game, you’ll relive classic moments from Gears of War™ and Gears of War 2™. Roadie Run into cover, spray your enemy with blind fire, or rip him in half with your Lancer’s chainsaw!

Stand together against the Locust horde

Teamwork is essential in Gears of War: The Board Game, as you and your fellow COGs will secure areas in an ever-expanding and randomized map, lay down suppressing fire to support each other’s movements, and rush to the aid of fallen allies – all in an effort to complete your mission objective.
Also essential is the careful use of the tools at your disposal: a range of tactical options and devastating weapons. Your hand of Order cards represents your COG’s spectacular battle prowess, and on each turn you’ll discard one to either use its listed ability, move across the map, or attack.

You can even hold on to these versatile Orders, discarding them to dodge or guard against incoming attacks, or to follow closely behind a teammate. Communication is key, and the most successful COGs recognize that together, they form a deadly machine.

A variety of missions offer vast replayability

The seven included missions deliver a range of objectives, from placing a sonic resonator deep in the Locust-infested earth to escaping the attack of a raging Berserker. What’s more, each mission is randomly constructed every time you play, using an ingenious map creation system to ensure that no two games are ever exactly alike.

Adding to this element of unpredictability is a terrifyingly intelligent game system that keeps the pressure constant, while lending each type of foe an individual style of play. As Drones cautiously fire on you from cover and Boomers lob grenades from elevated positions, you’ll swear that there’s a deliberate and sinister tactical purpose behind every move the Locusts make.

Learn more on our Gears of War: The Board Game website, then gather your team. Humanity teeters on the brink of annihilation, and only you and your fellow COGs can drive the Locust horde back!
Pics
sCKrb.png

TlNGH.png

jLxon.png

Seems like Space Hulk with cards.

EDIT: Board looks really drab so they basically captured the look of the Video Game.

Cathcart

BattleMonkey said:
Brown: The Boardgame
lol

I'm not a huge fan of the video games but I'm interested in hearing more about the board game. Corey isn't perfect but when he's on he's really on. Kinda looks like a combination of regular Space Hulk and Death Angel. Yeah, I could go for that.

fenners

Mashing said:
How did Corey Konieczka work on this AND Mansions of Madness at the same time?

This has been in development for *years* mind. Most "big" game designers have multiple designs on the go anyway (hi, Mr.Knizia!).

Neverfade

My interest was pretty much quelled with the words "co-op". Not only do I generally not like co-op, but they turned THIS co-op? A game based around team play? Mindboggles.

Cathcart

That's funny because for me the thing that made GoW stand out was co-op campaign play. Couldn't stand playing it solo, lots of fun with a friend. So in that way it made a lot of sense to me.

sneaky77 said:
Platy went down on campaign manager yeaaa...

but then he wiped the floor with me in balloon cup lol

Strangest part about this is that I thought for sure the results were going to be opposite for the first 75% of the games

Just wanted to pop in and mention that I absolutely destroyed my friends in Settlers of Catan last night.

3 person game, Cities & Knights + Seafarers, with a random board (no scenario)

I played an Inventor card and swapped the 3 on the Gold Mine hex with a 5. I had two hotels on it already and the next two rolls were 5 so I got 8 cards of my choosing. My friends immediately surrendered instead of waiting for my inevitable victory.

We were only playing to 13 VP and I already had 11 anways (including Longest Road and the Merchant).

Cathcart

Nice. I can never get people to play Catan. Everyone just kind of shrugs when I mention it :(

How is Catan for iOS? Maybe I should check that out.

Cathcart said:
Nice. I can never get people to play Catan. Everyone just kind of shrugs when I mention it :(

really? oh man, it's one of the heavy hitters for my group. I'm a little reluctant of the expansions though besides Seafarers, which I will own. I love how simple the game is and am worried the expansions make it convoluted, aside from Seafarers

Plus getting any 1 expansion + 5-6 player expansion is $50 on Amazon, that's enough to buy some other completely new game so it's thwarting

Gryphter said:
really? oh man, it's one of the heavy hitters for my group. I'm a little reluctant of the expansions though besides Seafarers, which I will own. I love how simple the game is and am worried the expansions make it convoluted, aside from Seafarers

Plus getting any 1 expansion + 5-6 player expansion is $50 on Amazon, that's enough to buy some other completely new game so it's thwarting

Seafarers is nice in how it expands the board and gives you scenarios to try, but after playing Cities and Knights I don't think I can go back to normal Catan.

True, it isn't as simple as normal Catan, but once you get used to the changes you realize it really doesn't make the game much more complicated. Cities and Knights also gives you more strategy and reduces the effect that luck has on the game a bit. I highly recommend it.

Cathcart

Gryphter said:
Not that I have to worry about it because we never play but for me it's even worse. I've got the third edition so my choices are to get the 4th edition of the expansions and have mismatched tiles (omg noes), rebuy the base game and then get the 4th edition expansions (we don't even play it so probably not) OR try to find expansions for the third edition which is difficult and/or super expensive. I saw Seafarers 3rd edition going for over 100 dollars a while back. Bleh.

Anyway, did some Power Grid, Dominion and Tzaar last night. I love how quickly a game of Tzaar can turn around on you. Everything looks good and then the other guy does a double capture on the other side of the board that you forgot to pay attention to and the game is over. The best part is that it just makes you want to play the game more. Or at least it does for me. Great stuff.

Holy cow what a deal.

Any one need a copy of Puerto Rico for purchase or trade? 20$ + S&H. Only 1 I already have out of that first deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom