• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Actually that is what I'm going to do. Nice thing is there is a big lounge space in my new building so we'll probably head over there. I do have/am picking games that work with 5+ though, like RftG, Airlines Europe, Shadows over Camelot, Roborally :)D), and I might pick up some good party game I don't have.

Flynn

AstroLad said:
Games I learned today:

-LOTR Card Game
-Troyes
-Innovation

I was really impressed with how succinct and clear the Innovation rules were. Can't wait to try it out. LOTR was pretty easy just based on familiarity with other FF games and Magic I suppose. Troyes had . . . a lot of stuff. That one's going to require a playthrough or two.

I think the choice of the word "melding" seemed weird.

MichaelBD

Placed an order with CSI today. Pre ordered the new FFG expansions to both Chaos in the Old World and Twilight Imperium. I also snagged a copy of the 2 player card game Famiglia, which was designed by the same dude that designed Power Grid. It sounds cute.

I have to say that the more I've played the Lord of the Rings card game, the less I've been impressed. I'm just not digging it, at least solo. I've tooled around with some decks because the core decks are pretty weak against the scenarios but I'm not finding myself thrilled to sit down and play it. I've played it a couple of times with a friend but I come away wondering "what's the point?" I guess after having played Warhammer I like the one-on-one confrontational aspect of it. With LotR I don't feel the same tension. I don't know that I'm ready to give up on it yet though.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
AstroLad said:
aren't there a lot of cool places in austin to go to, maybe with table space?

Well yeah, but it was a dinner party that ballooned from 4-5 people to more than 10 in the span of 4 hours when I asked for head count so I could start cooking.

RyanDG

So, I'm looking for a suggestion for a game. My wife and I are moving out of our local area and are losing our group of friends that we play games with all the time...

I'm looking for some solid 2 player games that we can use to hold our time until we can break out the massive 6-8 player games.

Here's what she likes:

Carcassone, Settlers of Catan, Shadows Over Camelot, BSG, Peurto Rico.

I've been eyeballing Agricola for a while, but I am curious if anyone has any solid impressions on how it plays with two players, since a lot of times even if the game supports two players the game is just not really 'built' for it. She loves Harvest Moon and farming games in general so I thought it may be an interesting choice. It's a bit expensive though, so if it doesn't play well with two players I may pass for now.

She's a bit of a history/art history fan too, so if there are any suggestions that meet those themes that would be a good choice for only being two players, I would love to hear them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
RyanDG said:
So, I'm looking for a suggestion for a game. My wife and I are moving out of our local area and are losing our group of friends that we play games with all the time...

I'm looking for some solid 2 player games that we can use to hold our time until we can break out the massive 6-8 player games.

Here's what she likes:

. . . .
She's a bit of a history/art history fan too, so if there are any suggestions that meet those themes that would be a good choice for only being two players, I would love to hear them.
I love Gric, but almost always play it with three or four. I really don't know how it plays with two.

If she loves history though . . . oh man you gotta go for the Jason Mathews games. 1960 and Twilight Struggle would be absolute must haves (hopefully her interest extends to modern American history). Race for the Galaxy is a fantastic 2P game that plays just as well with 3-4.

RyanDG said:

Here's what she likes:

I've been eyeballing Agricola for a while, but I am curious if anyone has any solid impressions on how it plays with two players, since a lot of times even if the game supports two players the game is just not really 'built' for it. She loves Harvest Moon and farming games in general so I thought it may be an interesting choice. It's a bit expensive though, so if it doesn't play well with two players I may pass for now.

Agricola plays great with two players, that's how my Fiance and I will generally play Gric.

As far as other recommendations, 1960 and Twilight Struggle are fantastic two player only games. 1960 simulates the election between Nixon and Kennedy. Each player takes a side and play cards to either play the card for the event or add control to a state, the media, or issues. Twilight Struggle (which is designed by one of the designers of 1960) has the same basic mechanic but is about the Cold War. TS is a lot heavier than 1960 but it's manageable and since your wife is a history buff the theme may appeal to her. For that matter Campaign Manager 2008 plays like an even simpler version of 1960.

If you like Catan, Rivals for Catan is a two player card game version of Catan. The game plays a lot like it's bigger brother but shrunken to accommodate two players.

Roll Through the Ages
is also a favorite of my fiance and I. The game plays like a Yahtzee variant where you are building your civilization. A typical turn has you rolling the dice and spending what you rolled in various areas. You can use workers to build more cities (get additional dice) or monuments. You can sell your goods in order to purchase upgrades for your cities. It's an easy game to play and works really well as a two player game.

Flynn said:
I think the choice of the word "melding" seemed weird.

The amount of giggling from my wife and her sister over the vocabulary for Innovation... both melding and splaying. Guarantee next time we play, they'll giggle again.

Flynn

platypotamus said:
The amount of giggling from my wife and her sister over the vocabulary for Innovation... both melding and splaying. Guarantee next time we play, they'll giggle again.

I can picture some dirty South rap song going "Splay Your Top Cards To Tha Right, Splay Your Top Cards To Tha Left!"

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Agricola plays great with two players, that's how my Fiance and I will generally play Gric.

As far as other recommendations, 1960 and Twilight Struggle are fantastic two player only games. 1960 simulates the election between Nixon and Kennedy. Each player takes a side and play cards to either play the card for the event or add control to a state, the media, or issues. Twilight Struggle (which is designed by one of the designers of 1960) has the same basic mechanic but is about the Cold War. TS is a lot heavier than 1960 but it's manageable and since your wife is a history buff the theme may appeal to her. For that matter Campaign Manager 2008 plays like an even simpler version of 1960.

If you like Catan, Rivals for Catan is a two player card game version of Catan. The game plays a lot like it's bigger brother but shrunken to accommodate two players.

Roll Through the Ages
is also a favorite of my fiance and I. The game plays like a Yahtzee variant where you are building your civilization. A typical turn has you rolling the dice and spending what you rolled in various areas. You can use workers to build more cities (get additional dice) or monuments. You can sell your goods in order to purchase upgrades for your cities. It's an easy game to play and works really well as a two player game.

These are all good suggestions.

Le Havre also plays well with two, as does Dominion. So, there are some good bigger games that work with two players.

You mentioned liking Carc, that also works well as a 2p game.

A couple of cheap, fast suggestions:
Aton - fun 2 player game, really simple rules, plays in 20 minutes.
Lost Cities - really fun, very simple rules, plays in 5-10 minutes.

Look into the Kosmos 2p line of games, there are some gems there and they are all really affordable and play quickly and most of them lend themselves well to multiple replays.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I wanted to try out Fearsome Floors so I sent a couple invitations out on Yucata.

It's a fast (at least IRL, on yucata not so much) fun game, with a modular board that takes way too much closet space for what it is. I really like it though, so feel free to invite me if you create another game in the future (carno on yucata)

RyanDG said:

Echoing what others have said Agricola and Twilight Struggle are great.

I also would be remiss if I didn't mention the game my wife and I love playing two player best of all: Through the Ages (not Roll!). It'll take 3 hours (Twilight Struggle can too), but they'll be great.

BomberMouse said:
It's a fast (at least IRL, on yucata not so much) fun game, with a modular board that takes way too much closet space for what it is. I really like it though, so feel free to invite me if you create another game in the future (carno on yucata)
Cool, I won it in an auction last night and it looked pretty good. I recreated the game to add you in so Platy needs to re-accept. Stooge and Astro you also got an invite.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Cool, I won it in an auction last night and it looked pretty good. I recreated the game to add you in so Platy needs to re-accept. Stooge and Astro you also got an invite.

Done. Hoping to have a chance to read the rules before my first turn hits.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
cool, created. i actually made a couple rtta games yesterday too since i ordered the physical game and finally carefully read the rules (not that complicated but ya know how yucata rule-reading is -- lazy)

i noticed you can invite > # of players. which i assume is pretty cool -- you can invite like seven people to a 4p game and then be safe in case a couple people aren't playing or checking regularly

RyanDG

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll take a look at a few of them with her to see which ones she may like. I'm really thinking Agricola may be it... But there were a couple of suggestions thrown out there that were only about $15 or less so I may pick up two games.

We've been playing two player Carcassone the last couple of weeks every other night or so and despite cycling in and out of Carcassone New World (which we really, really like), Hunters and Gatherers, and Carcassone (with select expansions), I think we are just wanting something to break up the games a bit more. Carcassone is nice because we are able to get done with the game in about a half an hour while dinner is cooking or right before bed.

I got her playing Magic the Gathering a bit, which was a feat unto itself. She really enjoyed the Harry Potter TCG when it was released, so I thought it was going to be a natural transition over to Magic, but she scoffed at it. I have some old decks built from when I used to play pretty regularly around 97-98, haven't bought any cards since then, but was surprised at how easy it all came back to me. Unfortunately though, it was a bit of a dud, as she didn't like the flow of the game very much. Maybe another time though...

Does anyone have any experience with Taluva? I've heard that one was pretty good and the description of it seems solid enough.

Also, with us watching Game of Thrones (and her finally finishing the books up until Dance), does the LCG Game of Thrones game work well with two? I've heard that it plays best with more, but I'm curious if it scales decently.

Twilight Struggle was a good suggestion by the way, but we already have that one... For those that are looking for a solid 2 player game, its one I throw out there as well.

Flynn

RyanDG said:
Also, with us watching Game of Thrones (and her finally finishing the books up until Dance), does the LCG Game of Thrones game work well with two? I've heard that it plays best with more, but I'm curious if it scales decently.

I played the CCG almost primarily as two-player duels for a year or two and had lots of fun with it. I can't say how the LCG decks that come in the first big box work for two, but you can always buy a couple of the LCG expansions and customize your decks to your liking.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
does anyone have experience with the RE deckbuilding game? picked up both sets kinda on a whim and i'm trying to figure out how to integrate the two and what the best way to play is for four people etc. and the bgg forums seem to be pretty dead

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
does anyone have experience with the RE deckbuilding game? picked up both sets kinda on a whim and i'm trying to figure out how to integrate the two and what the best way to play is for four people etc. and the bgg forums seem to be pretty dead

Most people seem to be on Bandai's own forum for whatever reason.

Merge the two monster decks. That's about it right now. They made the 1st expansion a stand alone game so there are very few new cards. The 2nd expansion will be nothing but stuff to merge.

It's a fun diversion from Dominion.

I just opened my copies of DungeonQuest and Mansions of Madness. Fantasy Flight really know how to make a beautiful package. Both boxes were packed to the gills with high quality stuff.

After taking a look at the Descent character cards from DungeonQuest, I'll likely make painting all 6 of those heroes a priority. That way, I kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak. They also look incredibly powerful for Descent. DungeonQuest itself will get a solo play or 2 to nail down the rules before next weekend where several of my friends will join me for some full games.

Mansions of Madness looks a bit too complicated for the short amount of time we'll have available for board gaming (2 of the people are newbies). I'll get to it eventually. Maybe by then I'll have the miniatures painted.

I'll be picking up Talisman sometime this week too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Haven't played any BGs (besides a few shitty rounds of Uno on vacation) in like a month or two! Starting to go through withdrawal!

Bernbaum said:
Loved Kill Doctor Lucky after the first two plays, although I wonder how much life that game has.

Unfortunately the only really "hidden" mechanic is chaining turns using cards + taking advantage of Lucky's movement and the turn order rule. So once everyone playing knows how to do that, it's pretty low skill-wise.

Ferrio

Banned
Played Citadels for the first time with only 3 people. The game is *brutal* with the mind games with that many people. I won the first game quite easily. Second we popped in the emperor and alchemist card. Emperor with only 3 people, and 2 of them vindictive against me for winning was not fun at all. Game came down to the wire though, at the end it came down to the person before me trying to guess which one of two cards I had picked. Both beneficial to me and allow me to possibly win the game.. but which would I be more likely to pick. He picked correctly :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ferrio said:
Played Citadels for the first time with only 3 people. The game is *brutal* with the mind games with that many people. I won the first game quite easily. Second we popped in the emperor and alchemist card. Emperor with only 3 people, and 2 of them vindictive against me for winning was not fun at all. Game came down to the wire though, at the end it came down to the person before me trying to guess which one of two cards I had picked. Both beneficial to me and allow me to possibly win the game.. but which would I be more likely to pick. He picked correctly :(
Hahah yup exactly. It's an almost criminally underrated game (most Faidutti games are actually imo):
-Fairly easy to learn.
-Scales fantastically 2-8.
-Serious screwage and bluffing, but very little inferior direct screwage.

I'm planning on busting it out during my weekend gaming marathon.

Also picked up Roll through the Ages. Once I finely carefully read the rules (which are quite simple) I realized it was a really fun light game.

Merge the two monster decks. That's about it right now. They made the 1st expansion a stand alone game so there are very few new cards. The 2nd expansion will be nothing but stuff to merge.

It's a fun diversion from Dominion.
Ah thanks. I should have just picked up the second one then probably. :p Ah well. It seems like it has some very cool mechanics (the mansion, random items, etc.) but maybe isn't as great on the execution side. It's the only deckbuilder I have with me right now in CA so I'll definitely give it a whirl or two this weekend.

Its a sign. 4 = play more Troyes.
Ha, I don't even have that in yet. Still waiting for that and Tumblin Dice.

Just picked up seafarers of catan recently and gave it a whirl with some friends.

We all really enjoyed it however, I was just curious to find out what kind of game mode do you guys play with the game?

What me and my friends decided to do was do an all random map removing two deserts, and one of each land type. Then we designate the central land mass (or sometimes two) and play the game out as normal, with an increased victory point cap. Thoughts?

Neverfade

Earthstrike said:
What me and my friends decided to do was do an all random map removing two deserts, and one of each land type. Then we designate the central land mass (or sometimes two) and play the game out as normal, with an increased victory point cap. Thoughts?
I've played more catan than I care to admit and I have no idea what the hell that means. There's more than 1 desert in your copy? What in the world is going on? :lol

Bandai announced a new Star Trek deck building game: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/20147.html

AstroLad said:

The 2nd set rulebook gives a bunch of suggestions on how to combine the two decks but for the most part since they like to have preset games with scenarios. Game is a nice Dominion like game with interesting twist of mechanics, but the multiple gameplay modes is what make it unique too me.

The 2nd set though has lot of cards that are meant to be used when playing the game using the partner system introduced in set 2, and would be useless in various game modes.

Vinci

Danish
Ended up trading in Power Grid for Citadels and a nice wooden Chinese Checkers set for my wife. Citadels, despite the heavy dose screwing you can dish out to other players, went over very well in my group. I think they liked how fast it played and how much utility each of the Character Cards packs.

Awesome game.

Yeef

AstroLad said:
I actually posted this over at BBG, but I figure I'll post it here as well just in case you don't see it.

I came up with a quick randomizer for the RE Games a couple days ago. Since it's mainly for my personal use it's not perfect (for instance, it assumes you have both sets), but you're free to try us it if you'd like.

http://yeef.net/redbg/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cyan said:
Right on. Looking like I might be busy this weekend too, but let me know the details!
Sweet will do. We're going to be gaming pretty much from noon on Friday to Monday evening. :p

I actually posted this over at BBG, but I figure I'll post it here as well just in case you don't see it.

I came up with a quick randomizer for the RE Games a couple days ago. Since it's mainly for my personal use it's not perfect (for instance, it assumes you have both sets), but you're free to try us it if you'd like.

http://yeef.net/redbg/
That's awesome, thanks!

Bernbaum

Stumpokapow said:
Unfortunately the only really "hidden" mechanic is chaining turns using cards + taking advantage of Lucky's movement and the turn order rule. So once everyone playing knows how to do that, it's pretty low skill-wise.
Yup, that's about it. It was entertaining in its own way, and I expect about a handful more plays of the game before never touching it again.

I'm having mixed feelings on 'kit-intensive' map games with lots of characters, random events and dice rolls. Games like 'A Touch of Evil'; 'Invasion from Outer Space'; and 'Last Night on Earth'. A bit chancy for my likings, and they require a creative goofy setting in order to be entertaining. There isn't really a central system at play with those kind of games, rather a bunch of disjointed chance-constrained ones. What map-based boardgames are there that play down the chance element?

Neverfade said:
I've played more catan than I care to admit and I have no idea what the hell that means. There's more than 1 desert in your copy? What in the world is going on? :lol

I got the seafarers of catan expansion. You get two desert tiles, two gold tiles and a bunch of water tiles with it and you can expand the board. The rule book suggests several ways to play the game and I want to know what other people play.

Chairhome

So I finally got Through the Ages... and it seems so intimidating. I'm going to have to learn it before having my friends play the short game. any pointers? the instructions are confusing and I can't find any good tutorials online... I'm getting the gist of it though.

I had some Amazon credit left over from gift cards and from L.A. Noire so I picked up Fresco and Survive. Both I've been eying for awhile and with the credit I got both for nothing so win-win.

Neverfade

Chairhome said:
So I finally got Through the Ages... and it seems so intimidating. I'm going to have to learn it before having my friends play the short game. any pointers? the instructions are confusing and I can't find any good tutorials online... I'm getting the gist of it though.

Find an awesome game to trade it for.

Boom, roasted!

joeyjoejoeshabbadoo said:
so win-win.

Weeeeell, I don't know if I'd describe playing Fresco as a win. :p

/haterade

jason10mm

Gold Member
Bernbaum said:
Yup, that's about it. It was entertaining in its own way, and I expect about a handful more plays of the game before never touching it again.

I'm having mixed feelings on 'kit-intensive' map games with lots of characters, random events and dice rolls. Games like 'A Touch of Evil'; 'Invasion from Outer Space'; and 'Last Night on Earth'. A bit chancy for my likings, and they require a creative goofy setting in order to be entertaining. There isn't really a central system at play with those kind of games, rather a bunch of disjointed chance-constrained ones. What map-based boardgames are there that play down the chance element?

See if you can score the old "Game of Thrones" game. It is a euro-style wargame. There are several mechanics going on at once and they work together very well. It has blind bidding, role selection, diceless combat resolution with a card mechanic, shifting environment cards, and simultaneous ordering. LOTS of advanced mechanics over typical DOAM games and it is sooo much fun. Captures the feel of the books better than either the card game or the miniatures game.

I hear"Chaos in the Old World" is really good. "Defenders of the Realm" is a fun co-op game that only has a few core mechanics but it has dice, lots of 'em!

StoOgE

Finally pulled the trigger on Bang! Dodge City.

I've owned the base game and the newest (cheapest) expansion for a while (Wild West Show).

I wasn't overly thrilled with Wild West show as many of the characters are a bit on the hard side to explain to new players and the "scenario" cards were pretty iffy.

Dodge City seems like a really nice selection of characters, and the new green bordered cards are pretty interesting.. they are single use cards like the standard cards.. but you have to lay them in front of you and then can't actually use them until your next turn so people can see what's coming to some extent.

Bang! is really my stupid guilty pleasure game in that it isn't really "good" but it is a ton of fun in the right setting. While I like Citadels and The Resistance (and agree they are probably "better" games), my group really just gets into Bang! much more.

Still not sure if I am going to use the scenario cards from High Noon (that come with the new edition of Dodge City) or any of the ones I had from Wild West show... but I like the idea of the high noon card itself. Starting in round 15 everyone takes 1 damage to start the turn. Could really speed the games end up without the stupid end-game from Wild West Show (game turns into last man standing, roles are ignored). I might take out some of the event cards I dont like and try and make a deck of "good" random cards that I don't feel will be game breaking then end the game with High Noon card.

Kind of miffed that I can't get the Fist Full of Cards expansion without buying the Bullet.. if the scenarios wind up being fun that is. I didn't get the bullet because I wanted the 4th edition cards with the player mats that you can only get from buying the expansions seperately... well, that and I didn't want the stupid bullet box.

StoOgE said:
Finally pulled the trigger on Bang! Dodge City.

I've owned the base game and the newest (cheapest) expansion for a while (Wild West Show).

I wasn't overly thrilled with Wild West show as many of the characters are a bit on the hard side to explain to new players and the "scenario" cards were pretty iffy.

Dodge City seems like a really nice selection of characters, and the new green bordered cards are pretty interesting.. they are single use cards like the standard cards.. but you have to lay them in front of you and then can't actually use them until your next turn so people can see what's coming to some extent.

Bang! is really my stupid guilty pleasure game in that it isn't really "good" but it is a ton of fun in the right setting. While I like Citadels and The Resistance (and agree they are probably "better" games), my group really just gets into Bang! much more.

Still not sure if I am going to use the scenario cards from High Noon (that come with the new edition of Dodge City) or any of the ones I had from Wild West show... but I like the idea of the high noon card itself. Starting in round 15 everyone takes 1 damage to start the turn. Could really speed the games end up without the stupid end-game from Wild West Show (game turns into last man standing, roles are ignored). I might take out some of the event cards I dont like and try and make a deck of "good" random cards that I don't feel will be game breaking then end the game with High Noon card.

Kind of miffed that I can't get the Fist Full of Cards expansion without buying the Bullet.. if the scenarios wind up being fun that is. I didn't get the bullet because I wanted the 4th edition cards with the player mats that you can only get from buying the expansions seperately... well, that and I didn't want the stupid bullet box.
I owned the Bullet and traded it away pretty quickly. I didn't really think that the expansions were worth it. I ended up getting just the base game and happy for it. It's a smaller box and the game is easier to bring to the table to teach.

My fiance and I started our 2nd playtest of Arkham Horror on Sunday, but it got late so we left it on the table, finished it last night. Definitely getting better at remembering all the rules but there’s a lot to look up like monster limits, outskirts limit, colors for monster movements… did much better at keeping it together this time but didn’t realize until the middle of the game that Ally cards get removed as the terror track increases, and for like 4/6 gates when closed/sealed I forgot to remove monsters with matching symbols. We still pulled off a victory by sealing 6 gates though, against Nyalarthrotep (sp?), the Mask monster guy as recommended. Town became overrun with a terror level of 10, so we had like 10 monsters on the board at the end. Luckily we were close to gates with no monsters so we just went there to seal the last 2.

Do the OtherWorld encounters get bad at all? We must’ve been getting the easy ones all game cuz it seemed too easy on the other side.

Astro, it’s funny you pointed out that researcher character being bullshit, because she’s who I got on a random pick, honest. Bullshit indeed.

The game holds its theme really well, I actually read half of a Lovecraft collection just before trying to learn this and plan on finishing the book after. In terms of making me feel like I’m in the game, I don’t think it does that great of a job, at least not yet. Maybe it’s because I’m checking the manual so much that I lose the immersion. I do like it, looking forward to learning the game well enough so that we don’t have to use the manual as much. Things will run much smoother once it gets to that point.

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I owned the Bullet and traded it away pretty quickly. I didn't really think that the expansions were worth it. I ended up getting just the base game and happy for it. It's a smaller box and the game is easier to bring to the table to teach.

I have everything in the base box. And really I just wanted the new characters and player board for the 8th player.

I want to try the event cards, mostly because I play the game enough that the variety would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom