• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
Mechanically GtR and Innovation are very different, but there is a similarity to the feel between the two products. If you like one I have a hard time imagining you wouldn't like the other. GtR seems to be the better liked of the two, but the time I played it I just couldn't get past the awful artwork.

I've thrown 35 bucks into the kickstarter.
Innovation is way snappier and easier to learn though. It's almost a gateway game -- and I mean that in a good way.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Woorloog said:
A board game thread!
Good place to ask... Has anyone played Attack Vector: Tactical? What do you think about it? And is there anyway to get it without having to pay $45 shipping costs? $60 for the game and almost the same price for sending it?
I live in Finland but it seems that Amazon.com for example doesn't have so high shipping fees (and no 2. edition of AVT, yet, won't buy the original since a newer version exists)
Sorry have never heard of this!

AstroLad said:
Innovation is way snappier and easier to learn though. It's almost a gateway game -- and I mean that in a good way.

I feel that way too, but my mom and sister (who are actually beyond gateway games at this point) both were super intimidated by it.

Evlar

Banned
Give me some feedback on Thunderstone. As a Dominion enthusiast is it worthwhile, so-so, or should I just pick up Prosperity?

Evlar said:
Give me some feedback on Thunderstone. As a Dominion enthusiast is it worthwhile, so-so, or should I just pick up Prosperity?

If you like the "combo" mechanics of Dominion (playing action cards to draw more or get special effects), don't buy thunderstone.

Thunderstone is a deck builder, but it isn't as heavy with deck/hand manipulation card effects.

Prosperity is the best expansion for Dominion by far, but still give Thunderstone a try if you get a chance.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Evlar said:

Thunderstone has some major issues.

In Dominion you are always trying to build towards one goal: getting enough money in your hand to buy VP cards. Through hook or crook or whatever means you can: get money to get VP cards into your hand with the most effecient "engine" and you will win the game.

Thunderstone has "monsters" that work as VP cards. You kill a monster and you get VP cards. The problem is, different monsters take different things to kill them and you can't control what order they will come up.. so building an effecient deck isn't really the name of the game at all. Building a varried deck is required to win.. well, variety and luck that the monsters that come up correspond to the deck you draw on a given turn. Draw a physical attack hand when magic monsters are out? Too bad. You can also have a game grind to a standstill if say there are only a few magic attack cards, plenty of magic attack monsters and those magic attack cards are really expensive.

It's like they slapped a Eurogame engine into an Ameritrash mechanics and just hammered until the square peg was in the round hole and called it a day.

Artadius

Thunderstone has become a huge hit in our group and will probably always get played over Dominion except for rare occasions. The Epic Thunderstone variant is so much fun it's silly.

And wow! I can't believe Thunderstone is on Yucata. Feel free to send me invites for that!

Yeah, I should clarify that even though I'm a Thunderstone hater I'll welcome invites on yucata. Maybe they'll even change my mind on the game

Evlar

Banned
OK, sounds like I'll probably get Prosperity when I have the chance and pass on Thunderstone. I slowed down on Dominion expansions because Alchemy was disappointing and my wife was beginning to protest the ever-growing stack of boxes for a single game (though she does like Dominion). Quarriors will hopefully scratch any "creature combat in a collection-building game" itch.

We bought one of those big card boxes and have put all of our Dominion cards in there. There's dividers you can print off on bgg

I still need to do Cornucopia, but I've been lazy

BigAT

Artadius said:
Thunderstone has become a huge hit in our group and will probably always get played over Dominion except for rare occasions. The Epic Thunderstone variant is so much fun it's silly.

And wow! I can't believe Thunderstone is on Yucata. Feel free to send me invites for that!
I've never tried Thunderstone, so feel free to toss me invites as well. Sounds like a fun one to try out.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
platypotamus said:
We bought one of those big card boxes and have put all of our Dominion cards in there. There's dividers you can print off on bgg

I still need to do Cornucopia, but I've been lazy

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/598029/consolidate-your-dominion-card-organization-syst/page/1

Or this guy for 35 bucks. Holds all current Dominion cards in the original box (with sleeves!) and licensed artwork for the labels. It makes the box heavy as hell.. I intend to get a second set of these once the last 3 expansions come out

Flynn

platypotamus said:
Yeah, I should clarify that even though I'm a Thunderstone hater I'll welcome invites on yucata. Maybe they'll even change my mind on the game

Same here. I hate traps, though. UGH.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
platypotamus said:
I'll play anything on Yucata. :p

But since I liked Ascension so much I'm guessing I'll like Thunderstone decently.

Flynn

AstroLad said:
I'll play anything on Yucata. :p

But since I liked Ascension so much I'm guessing I'll like Thunderstone decently.

I don't know why buy I suck on Yucata. Maybe I don't pay enough or proper attention to the games when I'm multitasking work, etc.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey, thanks for bringing up Yucata! This gives me a chance to try out Thunderstone. Made an account under "Horseticuffs", and am waiting for a dude to start the game and take the first turn.

First off I used Guest accounts in two different browsers and played myself for a few turns to check it out. All I've accomplished is equipping some militia with daggers, giving them a parcel of food, then having them rarely kill and mostly be killed by monsters. You go to the village to buy new cards instead of taking a turn in the dungeon if you need or want to, right?

Can't wait to play Thunderstone on Yucata, reminds me that I also need to learn the rules for founding fathers :/

A few weeks ago I moved to a new job, and we usually played some traditional card games at lunch, this week I introduced them to bottle imp, and everyone seems to like it. I hope it's a first step to some more serious boardgaming.

Anyway, I whole heartedly recommend the game, I can't really wrap my head around all the posibles strategies yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thunderstone is the perfect example of why Yucata is awesome. Would never buy it or probably play it IRL but on Yucata it's just fun to have another new game to play. Love having ongoing games with 10+ different titles.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Wow, this Yucata is quite amazing! I'm currently playing a game of Cascassone: Hunters & Gatherers, a game of Thunderstone, and I'm awaiting more players to a game of Founding Fathers that Astrolad graciously invited me to.

Bare in mind, I've never played any of these. It's much easier for me to learn while actually playing as opposed to just sitting there and reading the manuals with no practical experience to apply what I'm reading to. For example, I'm currently getting my ass handed to me in Carcassone, but I just scored my first three points so I'm pretty excited!

Thanks again for bringing the site up, guys. This may be just what I was looking for! I've totally gotta buy Carcassone for my Ipod soon.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Horseticuffs said:
Wow, this Yucata is quite amazing! I'm currently playing a game of Cascassone: Hunters & Gatherers, a game of Thunderstone, and I'm awaiting more players to a game of Founding Fathers that Astrolad graciously invited me to.

Bare in mind, I've never played any of these. It's much easier for me to learn while actually playing as opposed to just sitting there and reading the manuals with no practical experience to apply what I'm reading to. For example, I'm currently getting my ass handed to me in Carcassone, but I just scored my first three points so I'm pretty excited!

Thanks again for bringing the site up, guys. This may be just what I was looking for! I've totally gotta buy Carcassone for my Ipod soon.
Yeah I was just talking about this as well. Sometimes I'll play a couple games of a new game before even really reading the rules. Yucata is a super-nice way to learn games at a casual pace.

Just created an account on yucata and would like to learn some new games! My yucata.de username is: kryptikjoker

Look forward to playing some Thunderstone and some other games with everybody.

Hero

AstroLad said:
welcometodominion.gif

All joking aside, I'd say Seaside has tons of interaction (for Dominion) -- Ghost Ship, Pirate Ship, Smugglers, etc.

Ha, yeah I can understand the viewpoint. I still feel those attack cards don't offer too much in terms of answers or disruptions though. Also, I think Treasure Map really ruins the game.

As far as gateway games go I think my suggestions would be:

Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride
Dominion
7 Wonders
Carcassonne

choodi

Banned
kryptikjoker said:
Just created an account on yucata and would like to learn some new games! My yucata.de username is: kryptikjoker

Added you to my buddy list. I'll play anything so feel free to invite me.

Some quick thoughts from Gencon so far:

Food Fight:
Too little, too much. It's a game about using food to win a meal. I dunno. The artwork is okay. I dunno. The card material felt bad (old-school poker cards). Eh. There's too much going on with instants and stuff.

At the demo, six of us were playing. You get ten cards and hope to form the strongest army for your meal with five guys. But that also means you may have up to five instants to play for the turn (everything is discarded after the turn). The whole instants and responding and whatnot made the demo last half an hour, for a single turn!

Pass.

Star Trek: Fleet Captains: (Wizkids)
It's an exploration, mission-oriented game. The coolness comes from flying around in cool starships, balancing stats, scanning sectors, shooting ships.

I'm irked a bit by how long each turn seems. It's divided into two sections:
1) Move, explore, encounter with each ship.
2) Everything else (scan, fight, etc.)

The other problem is that it's only two-player with two possible races. I would have loved to see the Romulans and have multiplayer.

Also, it's stupid expensive ($80 MSRP).

It's somewhat fun to play, but I'll never get it.

Patrician: (Mayfair)

It looks REALLY old but is simple and fun to play. It's a tower-building game where you build towers in places directed by cards you have. You pick up new cards from the cities you build on. There are special cards that let you manipulate a city or be more flexible about which card you draw. Finally, there's a set-collection mechanic that provides an alternate way to score, spicing things up.

It's good because it plays in 20 minutes, simple to learn and play, but has good strategy elements.

Edit: More to come (smartphone)

Artadius

Thunderstone is pretty well done on Yucata, really liking it. I hope they eventually add some of the expansions to it because they add quite a bit more flavor to the game.

Gaming Truth said:
It's an exploration, mission-oriented game. The coolness comes from flying around in cool starships, balancing stats, scanning sectors, shooting ships.

The other problem is that it's only two-player with two possible races. I would have loved to see the Romulans and have multiplayer.

What exactly stops them from adding more races with future expansions? Price is also to be expected as it comes with a good amount of miniatures that are also painted.

BattleMonkey said:
What exactly stops them from adding more races with future expansions? Price is also to be expected as it comes with a good amount of miniatures that are also painted.

I thought it was rumored that the ships were unpainted.

traveler

Not Wario
I decided to put off getting another multiplayer wargame till the GoT reprint and went with the 7 Wonders expansion for my casual gaming group and Power Grid for my own personal interest instead.

First off, I've still yet to get a grasp on how best to approach 7 Wonders, so I really liked the added direction Leaders provides. In the few games I've played with it, I've used the leaders drafted at the beginning as a jumping off point for my strategy and found it much easier to come up with a concrete plan, for better or worse. (i.e. I'd draft Plato at the beginning of the game and then try and go about getting 2 sets of the full 7 types of cards by the end) They definitely add yet another layer of randomness to the game, but I think they bring enough to the table that it's worth that downside.

Power Grid is the third board game our new gaming group has played, following 7 Wonders and Small World. As such, we got the impression that it was going to be a bit of a step up in terms of difficulty. While there's definitely a lot of math to do at any given point in the game, it actually ended up being pretty intuitive once we got it on the board. Add to that the fact that the three of us are big computer turn based strategy fans (Civ is pretty popular here) and I don't think a "my first Euro" was really necessary in between the more casual fare we played before and this.

On the game itself- I love it. It's by far the most rewarding game we've played yet. Manipulating the availability of resources, plotting out your network, and balancing your spending feel like they really do dictate the game. There's no luck involved and, while 7 Wonders and Small World aren't exactly heavy on luck, the game really made me realize I definitely prefer less/no randomness to more. I also feel the game has a good amount of interaction- a feat not all Euros, judging by some of the multiple "solitaire" complaints out there, manage to accomplish. Handing people specific plants to get them in the resource market you wanted, threatening an imminent purchase on a crucial city to get them to up their network count to give you the best position in turn order, forcing the price of specific resources up, risking a buy just to bump an auction up- there's a ton you can do to impact the other players.

The only issue that actually bothered me was the ability of the plant deck to totally stalemate the game given the right sequence of plants. We had one game where we were pretty late in step 2 and every available plant in the current market was weaker than all of ours. We basically had to wait several turns till the step 3 card showed up.

Besides that, I think it's a fantastically designed game. So much so that I'm definitely going to be looking more in the Euro market for my next buy.

Gaming Truth said:
Some quick thoughts from Gencon so far:

Food Fight:
Too little, too much. It's a game about using food to win a meal. I dunno. The artwork is okay. I dunno. The card material felt bad (old-school poker cards). Eh. There's too much going on with instants and stuff.

At the demo, six of us were playing. You get ten cards and hope to form the strongest army for your meal with five guys. But that also means you may have up to five instants to play for the turn (everything is discarded after the turn). The whole instants and responding and whatnot made the demo last half an hour, for a single turn!

Pass.

It's somewhat fun to play, but I'll never get it.

Patrician: (Mayfair)

It looks REALLY old but is simple and fun to play. It's a tower-building game where you build towers in places directed by cards you have. You pick up new cards from the cities you build on. There are special cards that let you manipulate a city or be more flexible about which card you draw. Finally, there's a set-collection mechanic that provides an alternate way to score, spicing things up.

It's good because it plays in 20 minutes, simple to learn and play, but has good strategy elements.

Edit: More to come (smartphone)

Thanks for the impressions. I realize I just said I'm going to be more of a Euro guy going forward, but I think the only two games I wanted to hear about at Gencon were both the opposite. If you get the chance, I'd love to get some thoughts on Elder Sign and Dungeon Run.

Evlar

Banned
traveler said:
The only issue that actually bothered me was the ability of the plant deck to totally stalemate the game given the right sequence of plants. We had one game where we were pretty late in step 2 and every available plant in the current market was weaker than all of ours. We basically had to wait several turns till the step 3 card showed up.
There's an obscure Power Grid rule that you must remove any plant that has a lower base bid than the number of cities owned by the current leader: For instance, if a player has 12 cities and the #11 plant is still sitting around, you remove it to the discard pile. You also remove the lowest plant if no one purchases any plants in a given turn and at the start of Phase 2. Now, it's possible for a locked plant market to persist over several rounds even following those rules, but it's pretty rare.

Zalasta

traveler said:
Power Grid is the third board game our new gaming group has played, following 7 Wonders and Small World.

Did you buy any expansion maps along with the base game? Like Age of Steam, the different maps and the variant rules should give you plenty of mileage out of it. Personally, I like China/Korea the best.

Power Grid is a bit too dry for me, but I really love the design, especially the turn order and catch up mechanism.

If anyone ever start a Founding Father game on Yucata, I'd be interested in trying it out. Name's the same as on GAF.

traveler

Not Wario
I haven't bought anything but the base game yet. The most common configuration we would be playing with is 3 players- any idea which map is the best for that many players?

Evlar said:
There's an obscure Power Grid rule that you must remove any plant that has a lower base bid than the number of cities owned by the current leader: For instance, if a player has 12 cities and the #11 plant is still sitting around, you remove it to the discard pile. You also remove the lowest plant if no one purchases any plants in a given turn and at the start of Phase 2. Now, it's possible for a locked plant market to persist over several rounds even following those rules, but it's pretty rare.

I remember reading that rule and I'm pretty sure we played by it, but there is a chance we missed it. I think the problem was that the deck threw us a bunch of ~30 level plants in a row and then it gave us nothing but 20s after that till it hit step 3. It was only really a problem one out of the four games we played, so I don't imagine it will come up too often.

Deadstar

Stairs said:
The base game plus Intrigue will allow you to play with up to six players.

How does it work? Doesn't Intrigue just have different kingdom cards? Would I be able to play Seaside with 5-6 players after buying Intrigue?

Evlar

Banned
Deadstar said:
How does it work? Doesn't Intrigue just have different kingdom cards? Would I be able to play Seaside with 5-6 players after buying Intrigue?
Intrigue contains a full, complete set of the "resource" cards: a full set of Copper, Gold, Silver, Estates, Duchies, Provinces, and Curses. This means Intrigue can be played entirely stand-alone: you do NOT need the base game to play Intrigue. It would better be described as a Dominion "alternate" than an "expansion" for this reason.

Since it has those extra resource cards you can combine the resources from base-set Dominion and Intrigue to make extra-large stacks of Copper, Gold, Provinces, etc. which is necessary to play a balanced 5 or 6-player game. The alternate rules for this setup are included with Intrigue, along with a warning that the game wasn't really designed to be played this way and may bog down or break in strange ways.

Hero

Deadstar said:

I believe after you have two base sets you have enough Estates to start out the game since every player needs 3 in the beginning and then 10 in the pool.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Here is my list of gaffers on Yucata, with GAF names in parens where different. if you are a strikethrough name, that means i haven't played with you on yucata in a while so please let me know if you are still active! otherwise i'll just remove you from the list. or if i haven't struckthrough but you don't play let me know too

Artadius
beastiebenji
BigAT
carno
CastorKrieg
Choodi
CzarTim
eznark
fenners
Horseticuffs
JeremyH [Unison?]
joeyjoeshabadoo
kryptikjoker
Mashing
MrMan2k7
Neverfade
platypotamus
Roodiculous
Seth
sneaky77
StoOgE
stump
SuperRobot
Triphibian [Flynn]
Yaboosh
Zalasta

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
couple of my friends and i are gonna try out google hangouts + yucata tomorrow. will let you know how it goes -- may be fun to put together a couple live gaf games that way

AstroLad said:
Thunderstone is the perfect example of why Yucata is awesome. Would never buy it or probably play it IRL but on Yucata it's just fun to have another new game to play. Love having ongoing games with 10+ different titles.

With the influx of Thunderstone invites, I'm sitting at 28 games ongoing at the moment, which might be my record.

AstroLad said:
True -- treasure map can be pretty nutso if you hit it in the first few rounds.

Not as much as Pirate Ship or Possession (from Alchemy). I loathe rounds where either of those cards is involved.

Cathcart

Good news, everyone! The War of the Ring reprint has been picked up by another publisher and will be out later this year as originally planned.

Yaaaaaaaaaaay!

Also, some FFG news from GenCon tweeted by Ethan Parker of the Gamer's Haven podcast:

FFG's Dune reissue is finally official today. Will come out later this year at $60 and rethemed as a Twilight Imperium spin off. Uh, yay? I think I'll stick with my plan of buying regular Dune off of eBay.

They also announced the second edition of Descent with campaigns and a greater focus on characters and narrative for release next year. An upgrade kit will be available for current Descent owners. I sort of want to like Descent so I hope this is good.

See also: http://www.gamesalute.com/?p=17178

Evlar said:
There's an obscure Power Grid rule that you must remove any plant that has a lower base bid than the number of cities owned by the current leader
Man, that rule is not obscure at all, it is very important to the pacing of the game. I <3 that game.

I'm looking forward to see what happens with the 2nd edition of Descent. I played it for the first time last night and had an absolute blast with it. The game was a five-hour affair that ended up with the overlord winning just as the heroes got to the room where the quest monster was located. Maybe next time.

Neverfade

Flynn said:
I've been seeing it listed pretty cheap on eBay.

I owned it at one time and couldn't get excited about it due to the absolutely shit components. I realize the game is from another era, but if we're this close to a version thats going to have stellar parts, you'd have to be a die hard Herbert fan to even consider a copy, IMO.

Edit: Comparing Pirate Ship to Possession is just plain crazy.

Neverfade said:
Edit: Comparing Pirate Ship to Possession is just plain crazy.

Not really comparing them, they just happen to be the two cards I hate. Pirate Ship is so game-breakingly powerful with 90% of set ups, that you have to buy it to keep up with everyone else who does.

Possession is just annoying and game slowing

choodi

Banned
platypotamus said:
With the influx of Thunderstone invites, I'm sitting at 28 games ongoing at the moment, which might be my record.

I don't think I have been below 40 games for a few months now! Sometimes it's hard to keep track.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
choodi said:
I don't think I have been below 40 games for a few months now! Sometimes it's hard to keep track.
Ooh I'm right at 40 right now myself. Would be awesome if they added 7 Wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom