• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AstroLad said:
whoo diggin this agricola interface

It's pretty good, at least way better than playagricola but worse than the now defunct agricolaonline. The only major downside is that it doesn't let you "reset" you move if you make some sort of mistake.

I've only played the 2P game, so half the action spaces are new to me :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BomberMouse said:
It's pretty good, at least way better than playagricola but worse than the now defunct agricolaonline. The only major downside is that it doesn't let you "reset" you move if you make some sort of mistake.

I've only played the 2P game, so half the action spaces are new to me :p
yes, playagricola is truly the bsw of online agricola. good riddance to that thing

Cathcart

AstroLad said:
Ascension is a nice little game for Yucata purposes, but a few games in I just feel like the dungeon is kinda half-baked as an idea. Really doesn't replicate an RPG dungeon and its random encounters -- feel like Ascension and even Resident Evil do a better job. Having the monsters just sitting there until you're ready to wack them just seems a bit anticlimactic.
Wait what? Since I haven't played Thunderstone, did you maybe mean that in the first sentence?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
need advice bg gaf:
looking to swap out acquire from my next CSI order. don't really have any super-specific replacement in mind but maybe i've missed some semi recent hotness (this is the order with quarriors and king of tokyo)

AstroLad said:
need advice bg gaf:
looking to swap out acquire from my next CSI order. don't really have any super-specific replacement in mind but maybe i've missed some semi recent hotness (this is the order with quarriors and king of tokyo)

Looking through your BGG collection I notice a lack of:

Dungeon Lords
Arkadia
Oregon
Vinhos (out yet?)

Not sure how much you enjoy Arkadia/Oregon on yucata, but I really dig both, and Arkadia works great live too. Can't speak for Oregon yet.

Dungeon Lords is awesome, though less so with 2 (or even 3). Worker placement meets the prepare-for-inevitable-screwage like in Galaxy Trucker.

Vinhos I know very little about besides it is supposed to be super hot and I'm supposed to keep an eye on it (though I haven't really).

Neverfade

AstroLad said:
need advice bg gaf:

Swap Quarriors with Rune Age instead. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dungeon Lords
Arkadia
Oregon
Vinhos (out yet?)
will check out lords and vinhos -- from what i remember they are both somewhat heavy but that's not always bad. i like oregon but probably not enough to buy it. when i'm in a western mood would probably just as well bust out carson city :p

Neverfade said:
Swap Quarriors with Rune Age instead. :p
i considered rune age but it is just way to 'core fantasy to me and having to get people up to speed to play it co-op just makes it a no-go i think. i was actually thinking of selling my lotr recently because i'll just never have the occasion to play it really.

AstroLad said:
hmm, thunderstone has been kinda fun on yucata . . . .

It has. So fun, that I've almost wondered if I was wrong about the physical version. But then I realize that I still have a lot of the same problems with the game on yucata, they are just mitigated by the asynchronous online play quite a bit.

As far as Glen More goes, it's on my wishlist, but just from reading about it.

Neverfade

Glen More is good stuff. Makes for a lovely 2p game as well.

And Rune Wars.

and Troyes

Edit: Oh man, I just remembered happening upon you guys playing that at PAX and the Euroness eating at me. I was wrong!

Flynn

platypotamus said:
It has. So fun, that I've almost wondered if I was wrong about the physical version. But then I realize that I still have a lot of the same problems with the game on yucata, they are just mitigated by the asynchronous online play quite a bit.

As far as Glen More goes, it's on my wishlist, but just from reading about it.

Asynch makes slogs feel a little less sloggy. I played a game live on Yucata with a friend and it felt like it took FOREVER.

traveler

Not Wario
About to place another order myself. Just deciding on the second game to get.

My love for Power Grid has lead me more towards the heavy side than the casual, so I'm getting Agricola no matter what. As for the second game, I'm debating between Dominant Species, Navegador, (really wish CoolStuffInc had Indonesia in stock. I'd love to try it but I'm using a gift card so I have to get something they have) Age of Steam, Tigris and Euphrates, Puerto Rico, Le Havre, and Race for the Galaxy.

While I'll probably end up purchasing all of these at some point, I'm trying to figure out which would offer the most "different" experience from the games my group has been playing. (7 Wonders, Small World, Power Grid, and, when it arrives, Agricola)

So Runewares... what is it like? Does it compare to any other games? While I love Descent, the somewhat genericness of the setting has kept me away from Runewars....

eznark

Banned
So the wife and I finally got around to playing Innovation Saturday night. Couple questions because it seems like we potentially played it wrong (at least I kind of hope we did) and overall impressions.

1. It felt like one you started to get ahead in scoring, there was very, very little chance of catching up. I got an early lead and bulldozed her.
2. Can you just keep playing the same Dogma over and over? I had Piracy up and it was devastating.

Overall the game was ok. I really wanted to love it so I had a generally favorable impression. My wife had no preconceived notions and her response after playing it was "ok, it's not bad but we have far better games than this." The terminology is atrocious and off-putting. Meld, Dogma, Splay? Lay, Play and Shift would make sense. Why get idiotic in terminology? It just makes the game slightly confusing and cumbersome.

So what am I missing? What tips do you guys have to make the game better. I figure it has on more chance (hopefully) to make a good impression or it will get shelved, likely for good.

Neverfade

BattleMonkey said:
So Runewares... what is it like? Does it compare to any other games? While I love Descent, the somewhat genericness of the setting has kept me away from Runewars....

TI3 lite. In a different setting of course.

GF also pretty much gave me the Game of Thrones card game this weekend... was a gift to her by her mother but she just gave it to me since she doesn't game with her friends and know I would put it to use. Seems like a good game, but god the rules are so badly written, so much vagueness.... I've played tons of CCG's and such in my time, but there is so much that seems left out of the rules here. Assume since it's been around a while that lot of it is in a FAQ somewhere that I will just have to read, but this seems like a pretty shitty made product so far.

Neverfade

eznark said:
So the wife and I finally got around to playing Innovation Saturday night. Couple questions because it seems like we potentially played it wrong (at least I kind of hope we did) and overall impressions.

1. It felt like one you started to get ahead in scoring, there was very, very little chance of catching up. I got an early lead and bulldozed her.
2. Can you just keep playing the same Dogma over and over? I had Piracy up and it was devastating.

1)Innovation is definitely a game where familiarity with the deck will produce a better game. It's a hump you have to get over, but its just inherent with the design.

2)Pirate Code, you mean? Yes you can do a Dogma multiple times, but unless you've set-up your board specifically for that card, you're going to score Pirate Code ITSELF after using it a few times.

eznark said:
Overall the game was ok. I really wanted to love it so I had a generally favorable impression. My wife had no preconceived notions and her response after playing it was "ok, it's not bad but we have far better games than this." The terminology is atrocious and off-putting. Meld, Dogma, Splay? Lay, Play and Shift would make sense. Why get idiotic in terminology? It just makes the game slightly confusing and cumbersome.

Theme. Tons of games do this.

eznark said:
So what am I missing? What tips do you guys have to make the game better. I figure it has on more chance (hopefully) to make a good impression or it will get shelved, likely for good.

Again, have her familiarize herself with the deck. Innovation is a pretty conflict heavy game and she could definitely stand to go into it with that in mind. If she gets a particularly good card, don't sit on it. Yeah, it's possible to get behind, but there's usually an equally 'broken' card just waiting to be melded and exploited.

Brashnir

BattleMonkey said:

Runewars isn't much like Descent at all, other than including a zillion plastic minis in typical FFG style.

Runewars is a 4-player competitive territorial skirmish game with resource management, role selection and once per game "year," a light RPG hero phase.

It's a pretty complicated game, but if you can find 3 friends willing and capable of playing, it's a solid game.

As for genericness of the setting, it's still pretty generic. There are 4 factions. Humans, Elves, Undead and another one that's a bunch of other monsters. I think it's called "horde" or something.

The goal of the game is collect Dragon Runes (aka victory points). You can gain them through territorial conquest or hero adventures. When you gain them, you have to place them on the board in your territories (face down. there are blank runes as well) so you need to keep them protected once you bring them into the game.

I quite enjoy the game, but be warned that it takes a pretty long time to play, as well as having a significant amount of setup/cleanup time.

eznark

Banned
Neverfade said:
Theme. Tons of games do this.

Sure, but the theme of Innovation is clearly "civ builder." I don't get that from Meld, Splay, Dogma. I just get annoyed!

Thanks for the other tips. Doesn't sound like we were playing it wrong. Hopefully I just got lucky and everything fell right for me to run away with it.

XShagrath

eznark said:
Sure, but the theme of Innovation is clearly "civ builder." I don't get that from Meld, Splay, Dogma. I just get annoyed!
There's nothing stopping you from using the terms that you want to use. If you would rather say "I'm going to play this card" or "I'm going to take this action", then what's to stop you? Sure, the cards are going to say Meld/Splay/Dogma, but if you play it a few times, you should be able to mentally replace those words with the ones you prefer.

Neverfade

Indeed. I'd just read through the forums over on BGG to be sure. Lots of questions and lots of answers with examples that really helped me get a grasp on what the hell was going on. My enjoyment shot way up after learning the right way to play. You should have seen the carnage that was up playing Diplomacy wrong. Good lord.

Evlar

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
It's a mash-up of several popular boardgame genres of the moment, a hybrid. I haven't played anything that feels the same, and the handful of games I can think of which share some features with Runewars all lack other defining features. I think I can distill the game play down to two themes: variation in scale and turn-order mechanics.

• Variation in scale: At the onset Runewars looks like an empire building game in a fantasy setting. You are presented with a map built up from various smaller pieces featuring the usual fantasy landscapes: forests, rivers, mountains (in plastic-molded bling), deserts, and so forth. There's your conventional volcanic wasteland in one evil starting space, idyllic groves in a good homeland. The scale depicted is such that entire mountain ranges, inland seas, and vast untamed woodlands are suggested. This is a big place, and upon this large canvas you will build your kingdom.

You spend a portion of your time attempting the empire-management business. You "control" spaces on the map by marking your presence with various military units or a handful of buildings you may construct. This control may be challenged by the presence of enemy units, either owned by other players or "neutral" units sprinkled about the map. If you successful repel or neutralize these threats your rule over a space is supreme for the time being and you may bestow your kindly attentions or feed the land and its people to your machines of war, as the case may be. Each space has certain "resource" markers, very much like Civilization: spaces may produce things like food, ore, and wood. These, in turn, may be used toward construction projects, i.e. new strongholds or training army units; resources are also necessary to "feed" your armies. Thus far it's strongly flavored like Civilization, both the video game and the recent FFG boardgame release, at least in its concept of using the land for resources.

The second "scale" is at the wargame level, in which you (micro)manage armies on the battlefield. This is something reminiscent of Civilization again, but goes beyond that type of game; on the other hand, it isn't heavy enough to be anything as complex and exhaustive as a true wargame. Each "race", and therefore each player, fields entirely unique units that fit the "theme" of the race. For example: the elves heavily emphasis range (archers) and mobility (strong flying units); the undead go for big piles of weenies (zombie-like creatures) and necromancers to summon them. At this level it feels something like StarCraft, as each race has strengths and weaknesses that will impact strategy. Conflicts are a matter of territory control, ala Risk or SmallWorld; you'll have a pile of units defending a space and another pile of units invading that space; the winner keeps the land and the user must retreat or be destroyed. Combat itself is resolved by following a set initiative order (some units are naturally fast, the more powerful tend to be slow) and pulling from a deck of combat cards; symbols on the cards are cross-checked with the types of involved in each stage of combat to determine the outcome. This system is the obvious descendant of the Command & Colors combat system, also found in light wargames like Memoir '44 and BattleLore, except applying cards rather than dice.

So far, this isn't all that different from other empire-building games, particularly Civilization itself: Many games link "control and exploit territory" mechanics with "fight battles for dominance" mechanics. Runewars takes things a step further, though, by introducing a third scale of management: You control certain heroes, individuals who conduct tasks for you across the map. These units break all the normal rules for territory control; they can move through spaces controlled by enemy units, even infiltrate enemy cities. They (usually) cannot fight enemy military units even if you want to; the game makes a distinction of scale (your wandering paladin may be one of the greatest warriors of the realm but he isn't going to take on an entire battalion of demons by himself). On the other hand, heroes may fight other heroes, driving them off or even killing them and stealing their loot. There are map features such as caves, dungeons, portals, and so forth that are completely invisible to the masses of armies but may be explored by your heroes. There is an entire deck of cards dedicated to providing hero quests and another deck of "loot" rewarded to your heroes for success. This portion of the game is something like Talisman, I guess (as I gather it, I haven't played Talisman) though obviously spread across a more traditional fantasy map.

Runewars, then, involves the proper management of each of these spheres of influence: The small-scale direction of individuals to fulfill "quests" in search of treasure hidden across the land, the medium-scale control of armies to expand your empire and mark control of territory, and the large-scale management of a realm's resources and tactics.

• Turn-order mechanics: The various subjects and kinds of your tactical decisions are described above. The method of applying your decisions follows an order-drafting system related to games such as Puerto Rico or FFG's remake of the Horace Heresy. Each player has an identical deck of eight Order cards; these describe actions such as "Mobilize" (move units and potentially engage in combat), "Harvest" (sum up all the resources from spaces you control, which can later be applied to building or sustaining things), and "Fortify" (build or repair strongholds, move victory points around the map). At the start of each turn you must choose which of these orders you will give. The orders are numbered: Mobilize, for example, is #2 and Harvest is #4. The order of action is determined by those numbers, so whoever chooses to Mobilize will always take their action before a player who chose to Harvest.

The variable turn order selection is executed each season. Even here the game incorporates various scales; there is a larger sort of "super-turn" called years. Each year contains, of course, four seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. At each Spring you have access to all 8 of your order cards; as you use them you cannot play them again that year. Thus, if you Mobilize in the Spring you cannot Mobilize again the following Summer, Fall, or Winter. Order cards are put back into your hand only in Winter, giving you access to Mobilize (and all your other actions) again the next Spring.

Further, there are powerful bonuses for doing things in the proper order each year. You gain extra actions each turn if you play Orders from lowest-rank to highest-rank throughout a year: For example, playing Mobilize (order #2) in Spring -> Harvest (order #4) in Summer -> Fortify (order #8) in Fall will be more advantageous than playing Fortify (#8) first. Thus, the game encourages a rhythm: Combat actions are lower-number orders and therefore tend to be used in the Spring and Summer, and empire-building actions tend to occur in the Fall and Winter. Players may choose to disregard this and make a surprise offensive in Winter but they'll pay a price in effectiveness.
I'm a fan of Runewars but there's no denying the game is an Ameritrash cludge. It's inelegant at many points. There are a vast number of moving parts to keep track of; I haven't even touched on important resources (influence, tactics cards) and major mechanics (like, how you determine who wins). It demands a good deal of attention and time from players. It's difficult to teach and bewildering to watch. IF you have the right set of players it's a great, grand-scale empire management game. Otherwise it's going to collect a lot of dust.

traveler

Not Wario
Ended up going with Tigris and Euphrates as the second game to Agricola. Le Havre seemed kinda similar to Agricola, Puerto Rico/Race for the Galaxy feature a worker placement mechanic like it, and the other games seemed like they might be a tad too complex or time consuming for my group. I also have yet to purchase any game with a focus on tile laying, so that should provide something new.

Another game caught my eye while browsing- Diplomacy. Has anyone here ever played it? It seems like it could be really fun with the right crew, but if it's as long as it claims to be, I don't think I'll ever be able to get it to the table.

traveler said:
Another game caught my eye while browsing- Diplomacy. Has anyone here ever played it? It seems like it could be really fun with the right crew, but if it's as long as it claims to be, I don't think I'll ever be able to get it to the table.
Never played Diplomacy but it has the reputation for destroying friendships. The game does have shared wins but a major part of the game is to use your opponents for your gain and try and cut ties when needed.

Neverfade

traveler said:
Ended up going with Tigris and Euphrates as the second game to Agricola. Le Havre seemed kinda similar to Agricola, Puerto Rico/Race for the Galaxy feature a worker placement mechanic like it, and the other games seemed like they might be a tad too complex or time consuming for my group. I also have yet to purchase any game with a focus on tile laying, so that should provide something new.

Shame, was your best bet. :)

traveler said:

Diplomacy is more an activity than a game. Many games do what it does better and quicker.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
eznark said:

Thanks for the other tips. Doesn't sound like we were playing it wrong. Hopefully I just got lucky and everything fell right for me to run away with it.
People often get this feeling in Innovation their first few games like OMG that card/combo was so unfair I had no chance of winning. What this ignores is that there are many ways to win that don't involve scoring, and there are tons of game-changer type cards in almost every age. Even if you're behind on every single icon, you can still force someone to do a non-demand action that can cripple them. Innovation is less about knowing all the cards imo than it is about just being creative and not giving up and realizing that the score at any given time is only a small part of the game. I've played it probably 20 times and seen many insane come-from-behind victories.

traveler

Not Wario
Had to place the order within the hour to get it to ship in time for game night. Should have said something sooner. :p

Doesn't really matter, though. I'll be getting it later, probably with GoT whenever that reprint hits.

What are some Diplomacy-like games that don't require an entire day to be set aside to play?

And has anyone here played Reef Encounter? It was another game I seemed to be running into in browsing for well regarded strategy titles. Didn't get it this time obviously, but I wonder if it's worth putting on the list for the future.

eznark

Banned
AstroLad said:
People often get this feeling in Innovation their first few games like OMG that card/combo was so unfair I had no chance of winning. What this ignores is that there are many ways to win that don't involve scoring, and there are tons of game-changer type cards in almost every age. Even if you're behind on every single icon, you can still force someone to do a non-demand action that can cripple them. Innovation is less about knowing all the cards imo than it is about just being creative and not giving up and realizing that the score at any given time is only a small part of the game. I've played it probably 20 times and seen many insane come-from-behind victories.

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear. I assume it was more a luck of the draw thing or an oversight on here part since we were basically learning as we went along.

Out of curiosity, how many ages do you normally get to in a two player game? We only were one card into the 7th age I think when I ended it.

traveler

Not Wario
I wouldn't mind making an offer, but I'm currently out of disposable income and I know the reprint comes with the purportedly essential expansion. Next time I'm in the market for a game, though, I'd definitely consider buying the first edition if you could throw in the first expansion with it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
eznark said:
Cool, that's what I wanted to hear. I assume it was more a luck of the draw thing or an oversight on here part since we were basically learning as we went along.

Out of curiosity, how many ages do you normally get to in a two player game? We only were one card into the 7th age I think when I ended it.
Depends what strategies people are using. If they are going score-crazy then you often won't get too far. If one person is focusing on teching up they can get pretty deep. Not uncommon for one player to be 3+ ages back but for it to still be a close race in terms of achievements. If you are losing on points or achievements, it's especially important to tech up since you have cards in 7-10 that can wipe out the existing state of play (except the achievements of course) or present new victory conditions.

MichaelBD

AstroLad said:
To somewhat echo your point, when we played a 4p game last Thursday night, we had one guy who was just getting hammered with I Demands. At the end of the game (first time end game was triggered by depleting the 10 age cards) he came in second, yet only had two 1st age cards melded on his board.

Crazy shit can happen in Innovation.

TimeKillr

So I bought the Resident Evil deck building game last week and played it in a cafe with 2 buds.

I was nicely surprised at the fun we had - typically IP-based games like that are shitty tie-ins, but it was actually pretty fun. The game has a few problems, but generally the deck building concept is very interesting.

I had previously played Ascension on my iPhone and loved it to bits, so...

RayStorm

So I recently got to play Through the Ages for the first time.
Mind you, I never got to play the beginner and advanced game but my first game was the full experience. And despite what is advised it's not really that tough to get used to.

But then again I did have 3 other players that were more or less experienced in playing TTA and could actually explain it rather well and did help me along in the beginning.

It really does feel a lot like Civilization (the computer game). So I also felt right at home wich might have contributed to me eventually winning the game.

In fact I also got the same vibe of frustration as I do from Civilization when the declarations of war started to flood in to my culturally and technology advanced but militarily weak nation. Luckily for me the other guys realized that too late and I did indeed win.

But there's a big downside, it took us about 12 hours from start to finish. While it was great fun it sadly is far too long to play regularly. That's a shame.

RayStorm said:
But there's a big downside, it took us about 12 hours from start to finish. While it was great fun it sadly is far too long to play regularly. That's a shame.

You guys must have some serious analysis paralysis or something. I know a 4 player game would take longer than a 2 player game, but my wife and I get through it in less than 3 hours, always, usually closer to 2.

<3 TTA

fenners

RayStorm said:
So I recently got to play Through the Ages for the first time.
Mind you, I never got to play the beginner and advanced game but my first game was the full experience. And despite what is advised it's not really that tough to get used to.

There /was/ a fantastic web version that meant you could effectively "Play by email" asynchronously. Could get through a 2p game "in the background" over a day easily. Seems to have died in the past week.

Taking care of the book-keeping & upkeep automatically like that makes the game /much/ faster. Night & day.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Woody Invincible said:
So I just discovered this thread and bought Pandemic today. Cheers for making me aware of what appears to be a stellar scene.
sweet; you'll be buying five games a month in no time. :p

It's going to be "Event Games" week this week for me. Through the Ages on Thursday and Twilight Imperium on Saturday. It'll be my first time playing Through the Ages and my second with Twilight Imperium.

RayStorm

platypotamus said:
You guys must have some serious analysis paralysis or something. I know a 4 player game would take longer than a 2 player game, but my wife and I get through it in less than 3 hours, always, usually closer to 2.

<3 TTA

Really? While I will say that some (or maybe most) turns for most players took around 7 minutes I'm not sure yet if that can be done faster. But then again it was my first game and I reckon I also might have the quickest turn in the entire game (along with the longest and most awesome one I ever made in almost any game... Use Leader Christoph Columbus to colonize, then ditch him for Michelangelo and build a theater or library.)

Anyway.. but close to 2 hours even for two players for the full game with all 3 ages seems impossible for me as of now.

And even less possible with one of my gaming groups. I reckon finishing a game of TTA in less than a day would not go well with them.

Flynn

So the guy who we fired from our board game group (we pretty much stopped inviting him) posted a thread on BGG asking how to find people to play board games with then proceeds to bag on us for the whole thread.

Flynn said:
So the guy who we fired from our board game group (we pretty much stopped inviting him) posted a thread on BGG asking how to find people to play board games with then proceeds to bag on us for the whole thread.
I was gonna say, "you should bag on him here!" but that wouldn't be the right thing to do. Without bagging on him, what brought your group to kick him out?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Walled Village (with it's awesome Carc inspired art) is in stock at the BGG store for you Dominion lovers.

pic1023630.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom