• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
oh man i went on a spree at csi today with their little sale they have going on

added to my king of tokyo/quarriors order:

K2
carcassonne: the city 2
alhambra expansions 2, 3, 5

now to wait for freaking king of tokyo to finally come out....

Just played about 7 games of Innovation. It's the perfect "work with what you got" type of game. Kinda sucks that it's hard to plan anything out though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
superrobot said:
Re Luna: I'm trying to boot the Apostate on to the shrine Isle to screw someone over.
those words . . . they mean nothing to me

i was just mostly copying platy's moves b/c i thought he knew what he was doing hahah

been a busy couple of weeks for me i'll get to the rules one of these days :p

AstroLad said:

i was just mostly copying platy's moves b/c i thought he knew what he was doing hahah

you want the most novices on the isle with the Priestess when scoring happens (no candles left). You score some points if you have the most.

You don't want your novices on the isle with the Apostate - grumpy looking monk - you lose points when scoring happens.

choodi

Banned
AstroLad said:

I am just moving my mouse around until it becomes a hand and I know I have a valid move. The I click until it says finish your turn.

Unfortunately I am doing this in too many games at the moment. Need to find time to read the rules.

mrkgoo

Maybe someone can help me. I just received Dominion:intrigue, and was curious about throneroom+mining village.

I KNOW you can only trash it once, an I understand why. My question is, can you choose either use of the mining village after throneroom to trash it?

That is, can you trash it on the second use, so you get to draw two cards and see before deciding to trash it?

Also, a question about throneroom in general, I'm guessing the use of the throneroom itself costs an action, but neither use of the "play action twice" uses any actions? I was confused because, the rules talk about how first use of 'the' action counts, but not second use, and I was confused if these two referred tot he action BEING throneroomed - I don't think so, but was just thought I'd clarify.

XShagrath

narcosis219 said:
Just played about 7 games of Innovation. It's the perfect "work with what you got" type of game. Kinda sucks that it's hard to plan anything out though.
I absolutely love this game! I saw that CSI got the expansion back in yesterday, but it said they only had one copy. I went ahead and snagged it. Hopefully I'll be able to get in a game with it this weekend.

Agyar

mrkgoo said:
Maybe someone can help me. I just received Dominion:intrigue, and was curious about throneroom+mining village.

I KNOW you can only trash it once, an I understand why. My question is, can you choose either use of the mining village after throneroom to trash it?

That is, can you trash it on the second use, so you get to draw two cards and see before deciding to trash it?

Also, a question about throneroom in general, I'm guessing the use of the throneroom itself costs an action, but neither use of the "play action twice" uses any actions? I was confused because, the rules talk about how first use of 'the' action counts, but not second use, and I was confused if these two referred tot he action BEING throneroomed - I don't think so, but was just thought I'd clarify.

For Throne Rooming a Mining Village, see here.

For Throne Rooming a Throne Room, see the FAQ here. Essentially playing an action card in a Throne Room duplicates it and then you resolve each separately.

soldat7 said:
Played standard Citadels for the first time the other night. Pretty fun game.
it gets more fun the more familiar you are with the roles. 1st game I knew numerically which cards were missing but not which cards they were exactly. 2nd game I knew everything and fell in love with the game, went out and ordered a copy for myself

Bernbaum

soldat7 said:
Played standard Citadels for the first time the other night. Pretty fun game.
The guy that I know who owns that should play a deck with some of the expansion cards I know I've seen in the box. Only ever played the base set and even though it plays similarly every time, it's a pretty good staple game to have around.

I think Ticket to Ride is a great fun game until you figure out that hoarding cards is the key to victory.

Bernbaum said:
I think Ticket to Ride is a great fun game until you figure out that hoarding cards is the key to victory.
we play the big game rules, I forget what the expansion calls it but you get 5 tickets and 4 train cards to start, and has all tickets in the deck. I've found that the initial tickets you get and choose can win or lose the game for you. usa version

edit: it's called Mega Game

traveler

Not Wario
Agricola and Tigris and Euphrates came in today. Will probably get a chance to play them sometime in the next week. Any tips for Agricola newbies?

fenners

Gryphter said:
we play the big game rules, I forget what the expansion calls it but you get 5 tickets and 4 train cards to start, and has all tickets in the deck. I've found that the initial tickets you get and choose can win or lose the game for you. usa version

edit: it's called Mega Game

Mega Game sucks for that reason :) I've played Ticket To Ride 1910 a *bunch* of all the different rule sets in the box, and Mega Game is the one I dislike the most. It's all down to the luck of the tickets you draw, and the winner is frequently just the person fastest to build a decent network - start pulling routes & you'll often already have a card completed because there's /so/ many tickets. Bah.

Big Cities FTW for 2/3 players.

AstroLad said:

You fool! What have you done?!?

traveler said:
Agricola and Tigris and Euphrates came in today. Will probably get a chance to play them sometime in the next week. Any tips for Agricola newbies?

1. You get 3 levels of complexity decks of cards for the improvements. DEFINITELY start with just the basic deck. Not only are they a little simpler, but you're more likely to get cards that (obviously) work well together.
2. You won't be able to do nearly as many things as you hope to do in a given game, so prioritize well. Have back up plans though, because someone will screw you out of the action you want/need.
3. Remember, suffering can be fun too!

mrkgoo

Agyar said:
For Throne Rooming a Mining Village, see here.

For Throne Rooming a Throne Room, see the FAQ here. Essentially playing an action card in a Throne Room duplicates it and then you resolve each separately.

Thanks. I now understand that you CAN trash mining village the second time, thus allowing to draw two cards before making the decision to trash, right?

Also, I didn't ask bout throne-rooming a throne room, I was just asking what the rules explanation meant about ”first ” and ”second actions”, specifically, the first one using up your action count t the second one not. I'm pretty sure we're doing it right, but just thought the explanation was worded weirdly.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
But what happens if you throne room a throne room.

and then throne room 2 MORE THRONE ROOMS?

You would be out of cards :p

mrkgoo said:
Thanks. I now understand that you CAN trash mining village the second time, thus allowing to draw two cards before making the decision to trash, right?

Also, I didn't ask bout throne-rooming a throne room, I was just asking what the rules explanation meant about ”first ” and ”second actions”, specifically, the first one using up your action count t the second one not. I'm pretty sure we're doing it right, but just thought the explanation was worded weirdly.

Yup, the throne room is a single action. AS a single action, you get to do the text of a single (other) action card twice. So it sounds like you are playing it right.

StoOgE

mrkgoo said:

Right. You can not trash the card, or trash the 2nd time only, it's never a requirement. You just can't trash it twice.

So, you aren't going to get +4 coins off of a single mining village, you'll be limited to +2.

Ferrio

Banned
I hate you all. I impulse bought innovation just because you guys mentioned it being better than dominion (which is my favorite game next to Puerto Rico). Hopefully I can get people to play with me, seems it's best with 2 people... which it's hard to single out a person.

StoOgE

Ferrio said:
I hate you all. I impulse bought innovation just because you guys mentioned it being better than dominion.

woah woah woah, that's crazy talk.

It's a good game though.

mrkgoo

StoOgE said:
Right. You can not trash the card, or trash the 2nd time only, it's never a requirement. You just can't trash it twice.

So, you aren't going to get +4 coins off of a single mining village, you'll be limited to +2.

Well, I was mostly wondering if you can also trash the FIRST time only, thus only drawing one card before making the decision to trash (as that,s the example in the rules for mining village).

I assume when you throne room an action, you do both instances of the action, fully resolving one before moving on to the next.

It creates a sort 'copy' of the card being used, without actually needing the card being played (and why the mining village can only be trashed once).

Flynn

traveler said:

Keep your eyes on the harvest. Make sure that family is fed. And don't get too distracted by your cards. They can be really useful, but taking three turns to get one into play can keep you from other more important farm duties.

StoOgE

mrkgoo said:
Well, I was mostly wondering if you can also trash the FIRST time only, thus only drawing one card before making the decision to trash (as that,s the example in the rules for mining village).

I assume when you throne room an action, you do both instances of the action, fully resolving one before moving on to the next.

It creates a sort 'copy' of the card being used, without actually needing the card being played (and why the mining village can only be trashed once).
You can technically trash it the first or second time you play it. It's just confusing to trash a card then play it, plus there is no advantage to trashing it first. So, it's just easier to trash it the 2nd time you play the card.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
The guy that I know who owns that should play a deck with some of the expansion cards I know I've seen in the box. Only ever played the base set and even though it plays similarly every time, it's a pretty good staple game to have around.

I know I know, there's always new people but we'll get the expansion roles out next time I PROMISE.

mrkgoo

StoOgE said:
You can technically trash it the first or second time you play it. It's just confusing to trash a card then play it, plus there is no advantage to trashing it first. So, it's just easier to trash it the 2nd time you play the card.

That's exactly as I figure! Glad to know, i'm heading in the right direction. I'm a rules nerd, so it pleases me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ferrio said:
I hate you all. I impulse bought innovation just because you guys mentioned it being better than dominion (which is my favorite game next to Puerto Rico). Hopefully I can get people to play with me, seems it's best with 2 people... which it's hard to single out a person.
hahah nice

it's weird b/c when i played it at first i thought it was supposed to be a 4p game and that's what my first 10 or so games were, so it plays well with 3-4 imo. but turns out it's an awesome 2p game too :p

rftg syndrome i guess

Played Through the Ages last night. Yo, games good. I really dug it and while I thought I'd miss a map in a Civ game it totally didn't need one. We played a three player Advanced game and I killed it. I got into an early lead with Homer and was able to build Knights and upgrade to Genghis Khan before the first age was up. I ended up dumping a ton of men into knights and building the Taj Mahal which gave me a comfortable lead throughout the entire game. I was able to pull all this off with only one upgraded building and very limited resources. It was really tight resource wise but I was able to make it work.

StoOgE

mrkgoo said:
That's exactly as I figure! Glad to know, i'm heading in the right direction. I'm a rules nerd, so it pleases me.

yeah, it's probably the 2nd most confusing card combo out there. The ones that require you to trash the card are simple.. you *cant* play those twice because you can't trash a card twice. This one is just confusing becuase it gives you the option to.

Throne room with throne room is the most confusing for new players... everything tries to play tha single card 4x. Every time throne room comes up I explain exactly how that would work.

Just got back from a Border's I've gone to about five times since the going out of business liquidation sale started, and for the first time since I've been checking it out, they actually had a game I wanted. Finally, something other than Vampire Diaries themed games: Dominion Prosperity. I'm actually excited to have a reason to revisit Dominion, as I quite liked the base game but never picked up any of the expansions.

Anyhoo, as an aside, though I'm sure the sales at Border's are no secret to anyone here, it's worth mentioning that stores appear to still be getting new merchandise. I've seen Dominion merchandise at this location before, but not since the liquidation process began. So, take that as a heads up to anyone who hasn't ventured to their local Border's store in a while.

MichaelBD

Ferrio said:
When you read the rules you'll notice they actually recommend you play your first few games with 2 or 3 players. We, however, jumped right in with 4 (which is mostly how I've played it).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So is a large part of innovation keeping count of the number of icons you and your opponent have showing? I hate mechanics that involve doing stuff like that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yaboosh said:
So is a large part of innovation keeping count of the number of icons you and your opponent have showing? I hate mechanics that involve doing stuff like that.
yes the number of icons you havs vs others is a core part of almost every aspect of the game

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
AstroLad said:
yes the number of icons you havs vs others is a core part of almost every aspect of the game

Bummer, I hate a mechanic similar to that when it shows up in small ways in games like RFTG or Catan Card Game. A game that uses it centrally probably isn't for me.

How do you keep track of the numbers of each others icons? Do you just constantly have to ask each other how many of the icons you have?

StoOgE

Yaboosh said:
Bummer, I hate a mechanic similar to that when it shows up in small ways in games like RFTG or Catan Card Game. A game that uses it centrally probably isn't for me.

How do you keep track of the numbers of each others icons? Do you just constantly have to ask each other how many of the icons you have?

They are giant icons and can easily be seen. The opponents have to lay their cards face up.

There are also just a few different sorts of icons, and you have a good idea of who has what based on previous card play.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yaboosh said:

yep! it's not that bad imo but it's just something you have to keep an eye out for. basically the card effects in the game are called dogmas and there are associated icons that you have x# of across your cards. and when you activate when those who are equal or greater than you w/r/t icons either share in your dogmas or are not hurt by them. those who have less don't share or are hurt. so you don't have to know each one exactly, just who you have equal to or more than on the icons you or they care about

MichaelBD

Yaboosh said:

One of the beauties of Innovation is you an often force your opponent to do something he or she doesn't want to because they have more of a resource than you.

It's not complicated at all. The icons are big and designed so you can literally look at an opponent's board and know fairly quickly whether or not they have more of something than you. I tend to keep up on symbol count during turn downtime.

You can't pass up a gem like Innovation. I'd be surprised if the icons became an issue for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom