• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenners

Flynn said:
So the guy who we fired from our board game group (we pretty much stopped inviting him) posted a thread on BGG asking how to find people to play board games with then proceeds to bag on us for the whole thread.

Link? :)

Zalasta

AstroLad said:
just noticed that baj requires proper capitalization soooo

AstroLad
Triphibian
BomberMouse
superrobot

so far

Please invite me when you start your 8th Agricola game (name's Zalasta) :)

I know I've been down on Deckbuilding games lately but I just saw this review by Drakkenstrike for Eaten by Zombies, and I kind of want it. The kickstarter page is here if you are interested. I think it's already printed they are just using kickstarter for preorders.

XShagrath

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I know I've been down on Deckbuilding games lately but I just saw this review by Drakkenstrike for Eaten by Zombies, and I kind of want it. The kickstarter page is here if you are interested. I think it's already printed they are just using kickstarter for preorders.
A friend of mine kickstarted this. In one of the updates, it looks like they're already running out of stock and might stop the kickstarter early if they run out. It'd probably be a good idea to go ahead and pledge now if you're at all interested.

EDIT: Here's the update text:
The Kickstarter has been up less than 3 days and is already at over 80% to the goal. We are going to have to take a hard look at our inventory levels next week and possibly shut down the Kickstarter early so we don't sell more copies than we have coming in. If you are interested we suggest you get in sooner rather than later. We are also discussing freebies to add to everyone who supports this first run too!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
was thinking about hopping in until i saw that mayday games guy in the thread. i'm sure this will be cool but i just refuse to support that guy in any way. kinda surprised he's even still allowed to post on bgg with some of the scams he's pulled -- but then again bgg is supermodded in some aspects and some stuff they just let slide. think it has to do with adrev

XShagrath

I just recently got back into boardgaming, so I'm not familiar with the whole Mayday games thing beyond a few small things I've read. I was looking into buying sleeves for some of my stuff, but have heard iffy things about the sleeves from them. I've sleeved a few things with the Fantasy Flight sleeves and those have been good to me so far. However, it seems that just about everyone is out of stock on those.

mayday has a nice assortment of sleeve sizes, so sometimes I go to them for the really odd shapes (think Arkham Horror item cards, they have sleeves for those!).

The standard sleeves themselves are crappy though, they're basically penny sleeves that fit. My friend has some Ultra pro sleeves which are DAMN NICE, so I plan on using those for whenever I can and will probably go to Mayday for any weird size cards.

In addition to feeling like penny sleeves, they slide around and are much more slippery to hold than I'd prefer. I've had tall decks just slide out from under itself from bumping the table or from merely grabbing the top card. The bottom of the sleeves are thicker than the top, so a deck becomes slanted when on the table. These are the only sleeves I've ever had though, so maybe all sleeves are like that? I doubt it but correct me if I'm wrong

astrolad said:
was thinking about hopping in until i saw that mayday games guy in the thread. i'm sure this will be cool but i just refuse to support that guy in any way. kinda surprised he's even still allowed to post on bgg with some of the scams he's pulled -- but then again bgg is supermodded in some aspects and some stuff they just let slide. think it has to do with adrev
The fact Mayday is involved gave me pause as well but I figured at least it isn't a Crokinole board.

XShagrath said:
I just recently got back into boardgaming, so I'm not familiar with the whole Mayday games thing beyond a few small things I've read. I was looking into buying sleeves for some of my stuff, but have heard iffy things about the sleeves from them. I've sleeved a few things with the Fantasy Flight sleeves and those have been good to me so far. However, it seems that just about everyone is out of stock on those.
Mayday scammed a ton of people with their Cokinole boards. Basically they had a bad batch made and instead of taking the defective boards they just had them shipped to other customers. My guess is they hoped that one person down the line didn't mind the defects and kept the board. It was just some really shady business practices.
http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/03/mayday-games-its-not-crokinole-its.html
http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/03/mayday-games-crokinole-review-rest-of.html

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah that guy got dinged by the BBB too for a previous business that went bankrupt or something. and if you've ever dealt with the BBB you know it's amazingly difficult to actually get dinged by them.

all that said i do know that many people on bgg are satisfied with his products, crokinole folks aside

XShagrath

Gryphter said:
mayday has a nice assortment of sleeve sizes, so sometimes I go to them for the really odd shapes (think Arkham Horror item cards, they have sleeves for those!).
I sleeved all my Arkham item cards and Talisman cards with the Fantasy Flight sleeves, and they seem to be fine. The only potential problem is that they're 100 microns thick, which means the decks are about twice as tall until you really press them all together for a bit to squish the excess air out. Also, they're super slippery until you shuffle a few times.

Speaking of sleeves, shuffling with sleeves is great! I'm a huge fan of riffle shuffling, but my Talisman cards were getting pretty bent up after only a few games. Now I don't have to bend the cards at all and get a really nice shuffle.

BBB is a scam, can't take anything about them seriously. We had them contact us once about a customer complaint against us for some nonsense. They offered us a membership into their "services" and that the complaints would magically dissapear lol

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Which version of Muchkin would you guys recommend? I used to play it with friends a couple of years back and a couple of different versions too. Also, what is that one game where you have people waiting in line to get their heads cut off? It is a card game too. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Also, is there an online version of the card game Illuminati that you can play with friends? I used to play that game a lot back in the day.

Online Illuminati would take FOREVER and you would miss out on all the fun meta-gaming stuff like cheating and formally ganging up on your friend while he goes to take a piss.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Affeinvasion said:
Online Illuminati would take FOREVER and you would miss out on all the fun meta-gaming stuff like cheating and formally ganging up on your friend while he goes to take a piss.

Oh that is true. All my friends that I played the game with are all in different parts of the country now. I should try and find some decks and see if I can get some games going here in Austin. That would be rad.

AlternativeUlster said:
Oh that is true. All my friends that I played the game with are all in different parts of the country now. I should try and find some decks and see if I can get some games going here in Austin. That would be rad.

There are some great gaming places in Austin I'm sure...

AlternativeUlster said:
Which version of Muchkin would you guys recommend? I used to play it with friends a couple of years back and a couple of different versions too.
None version? Munchkin isn't well liked around here. Take a look at Red Dragon Inn, it's a super light card game that has a great theme (Adventures drinking and fighting in a bar after adventuring). There are two other "expansions" which are really just stand alone games but can be added to the base game for more players. My group plays Red Dragon Inn as a sort of end of the night wind down game.

Also, what is that one game where you have people waiting in line to get their heads cut off? It is a card game too. Thanks guys.
Guillotine. Good game that I bring out every once in a while.

+1 to the Munchkin haters. Holy shit I hate that game.

XShagrath said:
I sleeved all my Arkham item cards and Talisman cards with the Fantasy Flight sleeves, and they seem to be fine. The only potential problem is that they're 100 microns thick, which means the decks are about twice as tall until you really press them all together for a bit to squish the excess air out. Also, they're super slippery until you shuffle a few times.

Speaking of sleeves, shuffling with sleeves is great! I'm a huge fan of riffle shuffling, but my Talisman cards were getting pretty bent up after only a few games. Now I don't have to bend the cards at all and get a really nice shuffle.
FFG has sleeves that size? I had no idea, good to know. Also good to see another Talisman player in this thread, I screwed up a major rule when I introduced to my gaming group and haven't been able to get it on the table since.

Cathcart

I don't know, dudes. It's a good question. Are any of the Munchkin versions more flammable than the others?

Something to consider.

Evlar

Banned
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Mayday scammed a ton of people with their Cokinole boards. Basically they had a bad batch made and instead of taking the defective boards they just had them shipped to other customers. My guess is they hoped that one person down the line didn't mind the defects and kept the board. It was just some really shady business practices.
http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/03/mayday-games-its-not-crokinole-its.html
http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/03/mayday-games-crokinole-review-rest-of.html
That doesn't quite capture the scumminess of it. Mayday wasn't asking customers to ship the bad Crokinole boards back to them and then, later, shipping the defective ones on to other customers. Oh no. They were instructing customers to ship defective boards on to other customers under the pretense that the boards were going to Mayday, and the receiving customer was given the impression that the package was FROM Mayday, without telling either of the parties involved what was going on, thus responding to their customers valid complaints by making them unwitting shipping agents for Mayday... and, of course, providing no actual remedy for the defective boards.

Hero

Fuck Munchkin. The first few times it was fun but after we knew what were in the decks it just became stupid. The endgame becomes a chore and drawn out as people amass cards to stop other players from winning and can seriously take up a good portion of the playtime. So as soon as someone thinks they can win every other player will probably drop an additional monster then someone will clone that and even if you manage to win someone will probably just remove you from combat so then that turn took 5 minutes and jack shit happened. Now repeat that until someone lucks out when everyone else has used up their hand.

XShagrath

I haven't played Munchkin in quite a number of years, but if you're getting worked up about it all (and even care about who wins), then you're probably playing it wrong. It's supposed to be a super light game that makes fun of standard RPG stereotypes. Maybe I'm just not competitive at all, but I just enjoy playing games. I don't care if I win or lose at all.

Flynn

Gryphter said:
I was gonna say, "you should bag on him here!" but that wouldn't be the right thing to do. Without bagging on him, what brought your group to kick him out?

The trouble we had was that he was really pushy with the games he wanted to play -- mostly thematic stuff. And not very good at teaching them. So we'd sit down to a three hour game and at the end he'd say. Oh, yeah. Here's this rule I forgot to mention. I win.

In general he wasn't very attentive. He's get bored five minutes into rules explanation and say, "Let's just play." Then at the end of a game he'd get mad that he wasn't clear on something -- even though we'd make a point two or three times during a game to clarify what was going to happen at the end of a game.

We'd still give one of his games a play every so often, but he wanted them played EVERY time. Stuff like StarCraft which are long games and not really the style that most of the rest of us like.

The funny thing is that he had a couple games I like, like Chaos in the Old World, but he was so pushy about playing them that it was a turn off. And I don't think he realizes that all of us have long games we want to play (I've been dying to get another play of Vinhos in) but we all adjust for the tastes of the group.

The final straw was when he forced the group to play Dune. During a break he snuck into the game room and set up the game without seeing if anybody else wanted to play, basically roping a bunch of reluctant people into the game. To be polite they played, he taught the game poorly, and everybody was miserable.

I tried to tell him to cool it -- that his games will get played, but that he shouldn't be overbearing about it, but he just didn't get the message.

Here's the thread. I ask that nobody trolls him. He doesn't deserve any meanness.

fenners

Flynn said:
The trouble we had was that he was really pushy with the games he wanted to play -- mostly thematic stuff. And not very good at teaching them. So we'd sit down to a three hour game and at the end he'd say. Oh, yeah. Here's this rule I forgot to mention. I win.

Here's the thread. I ask that nobody trolls him. He doesn't deserve any meanness.

Really just curious more than anything. It can be really hard to find regular gaming partners that "fit" well with your personality & tastes.

[added]
Yeah, he's got a chip on his shoulder, that's for sure ;) Nice seeing both sides of the Dune argument & his radically different opinion of his game teaching skills & general "social" skills towards gamers.

Flynn

fenners said:
Really just curious more than anything. It can be really hard to find regular gaming partners that "fit" well with your personality & tastes.

I know. And we really tried hard to accommodate him. We're not half as closed-minded as he makes us out to be.

Hero

XShagrath said:
I haven't played Munchkin in quite a number of years, but if you're getting worked up about it all (and even care about who wins), then you're probably playing it wrong. It's supposed to be a super light game that makes fun of standard RPG stereotypes. Maybe I'm just not competitive at all, but I just enjoy playing games. I don't care if I win or lose at all.

I'm not getting worked up about it, I'm telling you how the game generally plays out. It's supposed to be a light game but it can wind up taking as long as an in depth game. I've never seen a Munchkin game with 4+ players take less than 30 minutes and some have reached over an hour. That's absolutely awful for a "light" card game without much control over strategy or depth. The only mechanics it really does well is focus on the politics aspect of a multiplayer game but that's about it. Really I think they could just make the game more playable if there was a default mechanic that made the game end or there's alternate victory conditions such as who has the most gold value from items.

Of course, this would make the game an entirely different entity instead of being a thematic genre spoof. It's like those awful parody movies that you might watch once in a blue moon. But that goes back to my original point that the game is pretty trash if someone is looking for a board game, which if they're in this thread there's about a hundred different games we can recommend depending on what someone wants. I'm happy to have played Munchkin a few times but once the novelty wears off it's dead and done. Save your money.

And also as an aside, I really dislike the whole "I don't care about winning" mentality that some people can have to the point where it's a random, chaotic factor in the game you're playing. Yeah it's a game and it's supposed to be fun but it's pretty disruptive when someone realizes in the middle of a game that they're too far behind or their strategy isn't going to work and they shift gears. Suddenly they're not playing the actual game but a different sub-game where it's either to help someone else win for an arbitrary reason or prevent someone else winning out of sheer spite (or a combination of the two). I've seen people do really stupid trades with other people in games like Settlers of Catan or giving people ridiculous cards in Dominion and completing someone's city in Carcassonne to try and boost someone else to victory. It cheapens the game and makes it a complete waste of time for all participants.

Flynn said:

In general he wasn't very attentive. He's get bored five minutes into rules explanation and say, "Let's just play." Then at the end of a game he'd get mad that he wasn't clear on something -- even though we'd make a point two or three times during a game to clarify what was going to happen at the end of a game.

We'd still give one of his games a play every so often, but he wanted them played EVERY time. Stuff like StarCraft which are long games and not really the style that most of the rest of us like.

The funny thing is that he had a couple games I like, like Chaos in the Old World, but he was so pushy about playing them that it was a turn off. And I don't think he realizes that all of us have long games we want to play (I've been dying to get another play of Vinhos in) but we all adjust for the tastes of the group.

The final straw was when he forced the group to play Dune. During a break he snuck into the game room and set up the game without seeing if anybody else wanted to play, basically roping a bunch of reluctant people into the game. To be polite they played, he taught the game poorly, and everybody was miserable.

I tried to tell him to cool it -- that his games will get played, but that he shouldn't be overbearing about it, but he just didn't get the message.

So glad my group isn't like that. I play with Gryphter along with our other IRL friends/family and I think if someone even tried to do something like that it'd get overruled or they'd just set up the chosen game somewhere else. Usually we take votes for what to play and go from there. If anything we usually have so many people we have to split up for games. Lately though there's been so much casual/intro board gaming I'm itching for something more indepth.

XShagrath

Hero said:
I'm not getting worked up about it, I'm telling you how the game generally plays out. It's supposed to be a light game but it can wind up taking as long as an in depth game. I've never seen a Munchkin game with 4+ players take less than 30 minutes and some have reached over an hour. That's absolutely awful for a "light" card game without much control over strategy or depth. The only mechanics it really does well is focus on the politics aspect of a multiplayer game but that's about it. Really I think they could just make the game more playable if there was a default mechanic that made the game end or there's alternate victory conditions such as who has the most gold value from items.
For me, a light game is one I don't need to pay a whole lot of attention to and can converse with my friends while playing. That usually means that there aren't a lot of different decisions I need to make, etc.

And also as an aside, I really dislike the whole "I don't care about winning" mentality that some people can have to the point where it's a random, chaotic factor in the game you're playing. Yeah it's a game and it's supposed to be fun but it's pretty disruptive when someone realizes in the middle of a game that they're too far behind or their strategy isn't going to work and they shift gears. Suddenly they're not playing the actual game but a different sub-game where it's either to help someone else win for an arbitrary reason or prevent someone else winning out of sheer spite (or a combination of the two). I've seen people do really stupid trades with other people in games like Settlers of Catan or giving people ridiculous cards in Dominion and completing someone's city in Carcassonne to try and boost someone else to victory. It cheapens the game and makes it a complete waste of time for all participants.
As for my not worrying about winning, I never change gears and stop caring or purposely try to pull other players down. We usually play games that use dice and other randomness and I just generally have bad luck. I tend to not like a lot of the "euro-games" that rely almost solely on skill because of a few factors. I personally don't want to take the time to learn a bunch of different strategies, as we play a wide variety of games pretty often (several times a week), and two, I don't think those games tend to be as fun. I've played my fair share of Catan and Puerto Rico and the like in the past and just don't get into them that much.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
flynn you need to move up to norcal and play with us :p

i've played with flynn IRL a couple of times and the idea of someone not getting along with him/his group gaming wise is truly frightening w/r/t what type of personality that person would have to have

Fjord

XShagrath said:
I don't care if I win or lose at all.

People who do care hate Munchkin, myself included. A few too many of my friends are competitive as well and although Munchkin is fun enough for a while I don't like the awkward rules debate that always seems to end it.

Hey anyone happen to be in Ottawa? My girlfriend and I need some BG buddies.

Hero

XShagrath said:
For me, a light game is one I don't need to pay a whole lot of attention to and can converse with my friends while playing. That usually means that there aren't a lot of different decisions I need to make, etc.

And that's cool, I love light games too. There's plenty of that to be found while also being a good game. If Munchkin is a great game, why haven't you played it in years? :p

As for my not worrying about winning, I never change gears and stop caring or purposely try to pull other players down. We usually play games that use dice and other randomness and I just generally have bad luck. I tend to not like a lot of the "euro-games" that rely almost solely on skill because of a few factors. I personally don't want to take the time to learn a bunch of different strategies, as we play a wide variety of games pretty often (several times a week), and two, I don't think those games tend to be as fun. I've played my fair share of Catan and Puerto Rico and the like in the past and just don't get into them that much.

I wasn't insinuating that you were that type of player but since you mentioned the not caring about winning I just felt like bringing this up as a different branch of discussion. Recently during a Catan session one friend got so far behind the last third of the game he refused to partake in any type of trades or thieving (rolling a 7 he put it on the desert). While not as bad as one player blatantly feeding another it still irked me.

XShagrath

Hero said:
And that's cool, I love light games too. There's plenty of that to be found while also being a good game. If Munchkin is a great game, why haven't you played it in years? :p

I wasn't insinuating that you were that type of player but since you mentioned the not caring about winning I just felt like bringing this up as a different branch of discussion. Recently during a Catan session one friend got so far behind the last third of the game he refused to partake in any type of trades or thieving (rolling a 7 he put it on the desert). While not as bad as one player blatantly feeding another it still irked me.
I don't really think Munchkin is a great game or anything. I just don't think it's a crappy enough game to warrant a "Fuck this" type of response. Different games appeal to different people though. I've only played Munchkin a handful of times back when I was in college and thought it was alright. I don't really have a good gaming group here locally, so usually it's just me and a buddy and/or my wife, but mostly just two people. Munchkin definitely doesn't go too well as two player game, as far as I remember.

Also, I'm all for adding in different topics of conversation. I haven't posted on GAF in over a year and this thread is what brought me back to posting (I've been just reading off and on). I've only been back into boardgaming for a little over a month and have already amassed over a dozen games between me and a friend. It also doesn't hurt that I'm local to CSI and it's actually about 2 minutes from where I work. Really easy to just swing in and grab a new game whenever I want.

Flynn

AstroLad said:
flynn you need to move up to norcal and play with us :p

i've played with flynn IRL a couple of times and the idea of someone not getting along with him/his group gaming wise is truly frightening w/r/t what type of personality that person would have to have

I'd love to move up to Nor. Cal. In fact, I'm going to be up there watching my nephew while my sister goes to France. We should get together then at the very least.

And thanks for saying nice things about me. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yep -- just drop me a line anytime dudes! you know where to get me on g+/email. wife and i are happy to have folks over to play games and meet the baby :p

It also doesn't hurt that I'm local to CSI and it's actually about 2 minutes from where I work. Really easy to just swing in and grab a new game whenever I want.
niiice <3 CSI

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
Walled Village (with it's awesome Carc inspired art) is in stock at the BGG store for you Dominion lovers.

pic1023630.jpg
grrr i still get annoyed at bgg's silly $5 "shipping" per promo. not even the money at all just something about the way it's presented that rubs me the wrong way

Bisonian

XShagrath said:
I don't really have a good gaming group here locally, so usually it's just me and a buddy and/or my wife, but mostly just two people. Munchkin definitely doesn't go too well as two player game, as far as I remember.

Sounds like you need more people!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
. I don't really have a good gaming group here locally, so usually it's just me and a buddy and/or my wife, but mostly just two people. Munchkin definitely doesn't go too well as two player game, as far as I remember.
I think a lot of people are like this -- but it's definitely a misconception that you need a big gaming group to get the most out of boardgaming. I run a big gaming group at work now, but back when I was in NYC and pretty much had no time for an organized group it was often me and my wife or +1 at most. big gaming group is different for sure but it's not a necessity and it's not even necessarily "better." like 80% of the top 50 at BGG plays well with either 2 or 3

that said it's pretty easy to find public gaming groups on either bgg or meetup. total ymmv thing though -- personally i prefer to get people into gaming from the people i already know but others have no problem just diving in

Just finished a game of Ascension live with my brother. Game is still so fun playing live vs. iOS. Also, couldn't help but place an order for Innovation based on AstroLad's continual recommendation. Here's hoping I like it!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
AstroLad said:
grrr i still get annoyed at bgg's silly $5 "shipping" per promo. not even the money at all just something about the way it's presented that rubs me the wrong way

I actuallay get it. If they "sold" it for 5 dollars they would have to pay tax on it. They are also not allowed to "profit" on the sale of the items from some of the vendors.

So, they charge .01 and 5 dollar "shipping".

I appreciate it, otherwise some jerk would buy all of them.

I certainly understand the sentiment. It feels dirty, especially when they don't bring them to the BGG store because of that issue.

StoOgE

fenners said:

[added]
Yeah, he's got a chip on his shoulder, that's for sure ;) Nice seeing both sides of the Dune argument & his radically different opinion of his game teaching skills & general "social" skills towards gamers.

I like my game groups online system. You see what people want to play, sign up in advance for what you want to play. BAM.

When gaming with them normally (outside of game night) it can get a bit touchier. You just need to know whose house you are going to. 1 couple = medium weight euro's or Martin Wallace. 1 couple = lighter fair, some medium weight euros, some lighter thematic games. 1 dude = total brain burners.

StoOgE

So.. Dominion Hinterlands is announced. 26 cards, no tokens/mats (5 dollar lower MSRP since there are no tokens or mats)

20 action cards
3 treasures
3 victory
3 reaction

Central theme are cards that do something immedietly when you gain or buy them.

Part of me wants to be done with Dominion expansions. I own what.. 6 Dominion boxes now? 130 kingdom cards..

there are presently 266,401,260,897,200 potential Dominion combinations. 26 more cards mean.. 1.75219536891399e^15 combinations.

And then there is what, 1 more large box and another small box coming after this one. Throw in a few more promos and we should be really close to 200 kingdom cards once all is said and done.

Who am I kidding.. I will buy them. :(

StoOgE said:
I like my game groups online system. You see what people want to play, sign up in advance for what you want to play. BAM.

When gaming with them normally (outside of game night) it can get a bit touchier. You just need to know whose house you are going to. 1 couple = medium weight euro's or Martin Wallace. 1 couple = lighter fair, some medium weight euros, some lighter thematic games. 1 dude = total brain burners.
The way my group does it is we have an overall theme for the year and for the last Thursday of the month we play a game with that theme. Throughout the month there is a featured game that will definitely get played which is chosen by the moderator based on suggestions he has received. Of course there are other games played during the meetings. I usually don't play the featured game because there is one player that has the worst AP and will make any game last way longer than it should and she always plays the featured game. As far as the other non-featured games we all bring a selection of three to five games and we spend a few minutes discussing what will get played. It's nice that there is a huge selection of games but the debate about what we play can drag on.

I'm becoming impatient, I can't wait for the various titles I want to become in stock at CSI. I placed an order at Amazon for Wasabi! the theme=awesome. and now to wait for the delivery, sigh.

StoOgE

Cyan said:
Is the last one even out?

Cornucpoia was the last to release a few months ago.

So far we have

Dominion (Big Box)
Intrigue (Big Box)
Seaside (Big Box)
Alchemy (Small Box)
Prosperity (Big Box)
Cornucopia (Small Box)

Coming soon:
Hinterlands (Big Box - late 2011?)
7th expansion (Small Box - early 2012?)
8th expansion (Big Box - late 2012?)

After that Donald says he plans no more expansions and would rather do spin offs. I think 90% of these cards were all designed prior to the base game being published.

Pepboy

Hey guys,

I remember hearing a few months back about a recent "betrayer" game (akin to BSG, BoHH) that was a lot faster (30-45 min or so) but had the same basic feel. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Also, I just read about the new Risk:Legacy. I like the idea of a boardgame permanently "evolving" through multiple plays but I worry about how flexible it is to handle new players mid-evolution.

StoOgE

That would be the Resistance. It's a card game, it's really fun but much lighter than the ones you mentioned.

Pepboy

StoOgE said:
That would be the Resistance. It's a card game, it's really fun but much lighter than the ones you mentioned.

Thanks Stooge! I'll probably pick it up and let you know what I think.

Also, played 7 Wonders for the first time the other night. While reading the "quick" rules, I found the concept confusing, but the full rules are much clearer. My whole group really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to a rematch. Highly recommended to those on the fence.

XShagrath

Neverfade said:
Snagged 'the last' preorder copy of Elder Sign at CSI. I'm sure there will be more before shipment arrives, but just in case!
I pre-ordered one this morning as well. I'm sure they'll order more before release as well. I saw that they ran out of Fortune & Glory momentarily, but say they have that more of those on order now as well. I'm really interested in that one, but think I'll wait and ask for it as an XMas present, since it's pretty pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom