• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaboosh said:
Bummer, I hate a mechanic similar to that when it shows up in small ways in games like RFTG or Catan Card Game. A game that uses it centrally probably isn't for me.

How do you keep track of the numbers of each others icons? Do you just constantly have to ask each other how many of the icons you have?

Well, before you do the dogma you can either annoucne the icon and get the numbers verbally from everyone else, or just count before you do it. Not that hard unless counting is the worst thing in the world for you.

Got Echoes of the Past expansion at my surprise PAX trip (a friend of a friend had a 3 day and couldn't make it yesterday). Got a play in and already think it's a great expansion.

Set up sucks even worse now though. Thinking about just combining the two sets (separated by ages) and then dealing them from the combined piles, skipping cards as necessary to get to the appropriate counts... that might speed it up a bit.

Neverfade

I just got a game of A Few Acres of Snow in with my hardcore gaming buddy.

I'm instantly liking it. Purchase justified. He didn't hate it, but wasn't sure if he loved it.

This is definitely an intense games. One of those games where you can absolutely fuck yourself over if you're not careful. Each card is used in conjuncture with other cards to match symbols to get around the map. One of the first locations I took had NO FUCKING SYMBOLS (This renders it useless and clogs up your deck. The location was meant for the British side to have to slog through to hit my capital). I should have paid more attention to that, haha.

The game was under an hour and a half with rules explanation, which is absolutely great. The score came down to the wire as I triggered the endgame by raiding twelve points worth of settlements/towns. Had I raided one less settlement, I believe my buddy would have taken the game (towns give double points at the end).

As I type this up I find myself thinking more fondly of the game. Its thematic, its tense, and I can't wait to play again to fix my strategy and correct the couple little rules we missed.

Flynn

Neverfade said:
I just got a game of A Few Acres of Snow in with my hardcore gaming buddy.

I'm instantly liking it. Purchase justified. He didn't hate it, but wasn't sure if he loved it.

This is definitely an intense games. One of those games where you can absolutely fuck yourself over if you're not careful. Each card is used in conjuncture with other cards to match symbols to get around the map. One of the first locations I took had NO FUCKING SYMBOLS (This renders it useless and clogs up your deck. The location was meant for the British side to have to slog through to hit my capital). I should have paid more attention to that, haha.

The game was under an hour and a half with rules explanation, which is absolutely great. The score came down to the wire as I triggered the endgame by raiding twelve points worth of settlements/towns. Had I raided one less settlement, I believe my buddy would have taken the game (towns give double points at the end).

As I type this up I find myself thinking more fondly of the game. Its thematic, its tense, and I can't wait to play again to fix my strategy and correct the couple little rules we missed.

Thanks for the impressions. Next time I get some spare cash I'm gonna order.

My fiance and I just got finished Claustrophobia for the 1st time. Loved it! Initially it looked like she was going to win, but right at the end a bottleneck occurred that allowed me to kill 3/4 of her heroes (played 1st scenario, she needed to get 2 to the exit). For the 1st few turns I couldn't spawn monsters, and the troglodytes are so damn weak anyways. It also didn't help that I was getting pretty low rolls all game, but the tiles that caused the bottleneck really made the win for me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
platypotamus said:
Tried Puzzle Strike last night, and wasn't too impressed. Wife really disliked it.
Sirlin games are insanely overrated on BGG imo. I don't know if it's because of his weird army of followers/spammers on there or what. That guy is shady as hell -- not on Mayday level but still.

That said I like Puzzle Strike OK. :p

fenners

Gryphter said:
My fiance and I just got finished Claustrophobia for the 1st time. Loved it! Initially it looked like she was going to win, but right at the end a bottleneck occurred that allowed me to kill 3/4 of her heroes (played 1st scenario, she needed to get 2 to the exit). For the 1st few turns I couldn't spawn monsters, and the troglodytes are so damn weak anyways. It also didn't help that I was getting pretty low rolls all game, but the tiles that caused the bottleneck really made the win for me.

Cool! I love that lil game, it's been a hit with everyone I've played with. Just tells "stories" well without bogging down in too many rules/complex situations like a lot of dungeon crawlers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
alhambra on boiteajeux is sneaky fun, better than the tabletop which i would say agricola the tabletop is a bit easier to keep a handle on things

AstroLad said:
alhambra on boiteajeux is sneaky fun, better than the tabletop which i would say agricola the tabletop is a bit easier to keep a handle on things

Agricola - It's too easy (for me) to take a decision based on an improvement or occupation that you hold in a different game.
Made a great play for fences based on a hedgekeeper I held in a different game :\

That said I'm having great fun with it.

Zalasta

AstroLad said:

Yeah, Agricola is not a great asynchronous game to play. After not looking at the board for a day (or more) and I completely forget my cards or the strategy I had. It's like I am coming in mid-game and have to figure out what somebody else did before then...

Neverfade said:
King of Tokyo in stock at CSI, does that mean your 3 months old order finally ships now, Astro? :p
whoo! my order is shipped with tracking #! No delivery est yet, though

Catan Seafarers
King of Tokyo
Citadels
The Resistance
Survive: Escape from Atlantis

And with Wasabi arriving tomorrow from Amazon, this truly is a joyous occasion

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Neverfade said:
King of Tokyo in stock at CSI, does that mean your 3 months old order finally ships now, Astro? :p
Dude . . . it better. I have like 10 games and expansions in there now. :p

AstroLad said:
Dude . . . it better. I have like 10 games and expansions in there now. :p
I saw you mention this before, are you able to add games to an order placed but not shipped yet? I assume you have to call or email?

Just when I made what I hoped was the last impulsive purchase of the year I realize there are 4 new maps coming out for TTR on October. I've never been an impulsive buyer but this hobby is making me one for sure.

BomberMouse said:
Just when I made what I hoped was the last impulsive purchase of the year I realize there are 4 new maps coming out for TTR on October. I've never been an impulsive buyer but this hobby is making me one for sure.
4 new maps? care to elaborate?

Gryphter said:
4 new maps? care to elaborate?

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/4389/days-of-wonder-announces-two-ticket-to-ride-map-co

They'll be released in packs of two. One selected from the contest they held for fan designed maps at the beginning of the year and one designed by Alan Moore.

Volume 1:
- Team asia, played in teams with 54 trains per team
- Legendary Asia, fan designed map with a new mechanic where you sacrifice some trains to claim some routes

Volume 2:
- Rerelease of Switzerland
- India, fan designed map with a new mechanic which encourages chaining destination tickets

Hero

BomberMouse said:
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/4389/days-of-wonder-announces-two-ticket-to-ride-map-co

They'll be released in packs of two. One selected from the contest they held for fan designed maps at the beginning of the year and one designed by Alan Moore.

Volume 1:
- Team asia, played in teams with 54 trains per team
- Legendary Asia, fan designed map with a new mechanic where you sacrifice some trains to claim some routes

Volume 2:
- Rerelease of Switzerland
- India, fan designed map with a new mechanic which encourages chaining destination tickets

That's really awesome, makes sense to have one map on each side of the board. Asia sounds really awesome.

fenners

I'm glad I cashed out my TtR Switzerland earlier this year. I suspected it'd get reprinted when they announced the map pack competition.

Introduced Quarriors to a good buddy who is a big MtG player. Loved it, despite me trouncing him completely over two games ;) Going to take it to one of his friends' game days on Monday, should be a big hit with them as it fits their play style completely.

Had a chance to play The Walking Dead board game at PAX this past weekend. Pretty fun and easy to pick up! My girlfriend approves as well. :) I was the first to become a zombie, but I got her and the others, so I still won!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fenners said:
I'm glad I cashed out my TtR Switzerland earlier this year. I suspected it'd get reprinted when they announced the map pack competition.

Introduced Quarriors to a good buddy who is a big MtG player. Loved it, despite me trouncing him completely over two games ;) Going to take it to one of his friends' game days on Monday, should be a big hit with them as it fits their play style completely.
I didn't even know Switzerland was worth anything -- still own it but worst TtR imo.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yay shipped :D

A-4 Alhambra Expansion 2: The City Gates (Queen Games, New)
A-4 Alhambra Expansion 3: The Thief's Turn (Queen Games, New)
A-4 Alhambra Expansion 5: Power of the Sulta... (Queen Games, New)
A-6 Carcassonne: The City 2 Board Game (Rio Grande Games, New)
A-6 Carcassonne: The Phantom Expansion (Rio Grande Games, New)
B-21 Glen More (Rio Grande Games, New)
B-21 K2 (Common Man Games, New)
B-21 King of Tokyo (IELLO, New)
B-23 Quarriors! Dice Building Game (WizKids Games, New)
B-23 Quarriors! Pre-order Promo Cards (WizKids Games, New)
B-24 Train of Thought Board Game (Tasty Minstrel Games, New)

Dreavus

Well, my friends and I slogged through our first game of Runewars today... we ended up calling it a night before anyone had won (using the "epic" variant). We had three of us were at 4 and one person was at 5, although my buddy who had 4 showed us how he was about to win in 2 more turns. Set-up + figuring-out-the-rules took an ABSURD amount of time, since I wasn't quite as familiar with how things were supposed to work as I thought I was. It was my first time playing but I did read the rules online :p.

I think a second game will run MUCH smoother and I'm looking forward to putting this one back on the table for another go. It sounded like my friends enjoyed it too, although one of them was pretty annoyed when his game winning gambit involving teleportation didn't pay off in the end (he also stole my only hero in the first fall of them game, so I didn't have much sympathy, lol)

Iced_Eagle said:
Had a chance to play The Walking Dead board game at PAX this past weekend. Pretty fun and easy to pick up! My girlfriend approves as well. :) I was the first to become a zombie, but I got her and the others, so I still won!

Is it similar to any other games? Does it hold a candle to something like Last Night on Earth which is kind of the high mark in Zombie board games

Neverfade

Iced_Eagle said:

I assume you mean the Walking Dead board game based off the comic (by Z-Man games) and not the shitty looking one based off the TV show (Cryptozoic)?

BattleMonkey said:
which is kind of the high mark in Zombie board games

What a goddamn shame. Hopefully this changes things up.

XShagrath

I've only played LNOE once, but it wasn't too bad. The rules were rather simple, which kept everything moving at a pretty steady pace. I was playing the humans and there was a pretty tense couple of turns where I was slowly getting cornered before getting one of my characters devoured by the zombies. I'll probably be giving the game another go within the next couple of weeks.

Gryphter said:
LNOE is great when it's working. Unfortunately it's not working more than half the time.

Have played it many times and never had any issue. Only bad ever was one of the shitty scenarios that we all agreed to never play again.

BattleMonkey said:
Have played it many times and never had any issue. Only bad ever was one of the shitty scenarios that we all agreed to never play again.

are you playing with expansions? In general I've had too many games where one side gets crushed, and too many questions on rules or subjective interpretations of text that had to be looked up. LNOE was my gateway game and we had lots of fun playing it, but now that I know better there's a lot of holes and the experience isn't always rewarding; we ended up sticking to just a handful of scenarios out of the like, 20 available.

On the positive side, the game has a place in my heart being my gateway game, and the theme is ace; love the atmosphere it creates. We've had our share of EPIC tense games to remember, but I've moved on since then.

Ferrio

Banned
So played my first game (actually 1 1/2) of Innovation with a friend. The first game we had to cut short since I had to be somewhere, so we called it at 4 achievements, I won barely.

The second game we played it was a complete blowout in my friend's favor. I literally could not do anything. All my cards that came up weren't very helpful at all, and the few that were had icons that he had waaaay more of. I only got like 5 points/1 achieve the whole game. He got up to like 50 points and 6 achievements. Everytime I'd try to do something I'd set up something for my next turn, then he'd happen to lay down cards that'd counter it. Very very frustrating.

Gryphter said:
are you playing with expansions? In general I've had too many games where one side gets crushed, and too many questions on rules or subjective interpretations of text that had to be looked up. LNOE was my gateway game and we had lots of fun playing it, but now that I know better there's a lot of holes and the experience isn't always rewarding; we ended up sticking to just a handful of scenarios out of the like, 20 available.

On the positive side, the game has a place in my heart being my gateway game, and the theme is ace; love the atmosphere it creates. We've had our share of EPIC tense games to remember, but I've moved on since then.

All expansions, never really had rule issues, found it to be a pretty clear game and faq answered any little issues well.

The only negative we have found is the zombies with grave weapons is kind of pointless expansion

BattleMonkey said:
All expansions, never really had rule issues, found it to be a pretty clear game and faq answered any little issues well.

The only negative we have found is the zombies with grave weapons is kind of pointless expansion
Yeah, I skipped that one as well, I'd prefer to use the zombies with the cardboard chit to signify what weapon they have tbh. I do like the actual grave weapons, unique items, and survival tactics decks themselves, but didn't care for the barricades they introduced with that expansion. They were more trouble than they're worth, we tried them once and never again.

Gryphter said:
Yeah, I skipped that one as well, I'd prefer to use the zombies with the cardboard chit to signify what weapon they have tbh. I do like the actual grave weapons, unique items, and survival tactics decks themselves, but didn't care for the barricades they introduced with that expansion. They were more trouble than they're worth, we tried them once and never again.

The zombies with weapons we found to never be worth the investment, zombie players kept just ignoring them. The barricades are great for certain scenarios, in some they will never come into play.

Ferrio said:
So played my first game (actually 1 1/2) of Innovation with a friend. The first game we had to cut short since I had to be somewhere, so we called it at 4 achievements, I won barely.

The second game we played it was a complete blowout in my friend's favor. I literally could not do anything. All my cards that came up weren't very helpful at all, and the few that were had icons that he had waaaay more of. I only got like 5 points/1 achieve the whole game. He got up to like 50 points and 6 achievements. Everytime I'd try to do something I'd set up something for my next turn, then he'd happen to lay down cards that'd counter it. Very very frustrating.

Don't be afraid to share actions, even in a two player game. First: depending on the particular dogma, it may hurt your friend (causing him to lose access to a powerful card, because another was melded on top of it, or he had to score it, or something). Second: it may help him, but you way more (draw a 5 is no biggie to a guy who has 5s and 6s already, but huge to you if your highest card is a 3). Third: you get an extra draw if he shares, which can be really big for getting to a card that can help you catch up when you are behind.

That said, there are definitely times where sharing is a terrible idea too!

So my CSI order was delivered today. I was worried it would require signature but looks like they just left it at the door. Too bad I have 6.5 hours of work, a trip to the gym, dinner, and grocery shopping before I can check them all out. the wait is killing me

unrelated, I tried my 1st adventure book last night. having never played a 'choose your own adventure' book, I heard about one called Destiny Quest and ordered 2 different ones at the same time; House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy series) and Fabled Lands 1. Played House of Hell and wow, it was awesome!

So in case you don't know, it's basically a choose your own adventure book but you'll encounter super light D&D style encounters, puzzles, or choices. Basically dice rolls to resolve fights or skill checks when trying to open doors, chests, etc. This one in particular is horror themed, so I'm trapped in like a haunted/cultist mansion, trying to get out and fight for my life. The doors in the upstairs area are named after what I believe to be references to demon names, it was cool when I recognized 2 of them and used that to determine if I went in that room or not (one was Mephisto and the other Mammon). After about 40 min of play I was killed by a vampire (damn you!). Looking forward to jumping back in for revenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom