• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayStorm

While I tried my best to train my gaming groups not to eat anything sticky, fatty or crumbly while gaming there still is some notable resistance to my Snack-free gaming environment.

So, are there any kinds of salty/sweet snacks that afford themselves to be eaten while playing without mistreating my poor unsleeved Dominion cards?

Please share your experiences or reference me to past discussion about food while gaming.

RayStorm said:
While I tried my best to train my gaming groups not to eat anything sticky, fatty or crumbly while gaming there still is some notable resistance to my Snack-free gaming environment.

So, are there any kinds of salty/sweet snacks that afford themselves to be eaten while playing without mistreating my poor unsleeved Dominion cards?

Please share your experiences or reference me to past discussion about food while gaming.

What we have been doing lately is instead of eating snacks at the table, we take little breaks during our games or between games to head to the kitchen for snacks. Folks will sometimes bring some cake, or other little treats for our game nights, and I keep my place stocked with variety of shit. Nothing but drinking usually during the actual games.

Had a game night yesterday, played several different games but ended up doing some Zombies!!! just because we wanted something simple quick and for newbies who didn't play it before.

Well for a warning to anyone, do not buy Zombies X. It's an awful expansion as all it does is make a standard game of Zombies!!! take forver to play. The new city tiles are pretty bad, and the new cards added to the game seem to do nothing but screw up the game for everyone by making everyone suck and slows it to a crawl. Game is supposed to be simple and quick, it just made the game into a slog.

Palmer_v1 said:
What are some of the better games that will support more than 6 players?

What kind of game would you want to play with such a number? Quick party like games, something casual friendly? Something deep and involving, long games, or fast play?

Palmer_v1

Almost anything that is entertaining. We play a large mix of board games normally, but most of them only go up to 6 players. I know of some party games that could work, but I was thinking of something deeper than just playing Apples to Apples or whatever. Being casual friendly would be fine. I know a couple of us have no problem getting into complicated games, but an 8 player game isn't likely to get used that often.

The Resistance is my group's popular 6+ go to. It plays like Werewolf or Mafia, where some people are spies and some aren't, and it's up to you to deduce or deceive others depending on your secretly assigned role.

Zalasta

Palmer_v1 said:
Almost anything that is entertaining. We play a large mix of board games normally, but most of them only go up to 6 players. I know of some party games that could work, but I was thinking of something deeper than just playing Apples to Apples or whatever. Being casual friendly would be fine. I know a couple of us have no problem getting into complicated games, but an 8 player game isn't likely to get used that often.

The problem with more than 6 is the fact that every person you add beyond that will increase the playing time considerably for any games with depth. So those that support a lot of people tend to be geared towards filler and party stuff that aren't time consuming. If you don't mind co-op, I think Nuns on the Run supports up to 8, then there is The Resistance and Shadow Hunters. Other stuff like Ca$h 'n Gun$ can include more people if you add the expansions. Personally I enjoy 6 Nimmt and Telestrations.

Palmer_v1 said:
What are some of the better games that will support more than 6 players?
Honestly' splitting up into a couple smaller groups would probably be best. 6 or more can be unwieldy and there really is only a handful of games that are truly worthwhile at that size. That being said, 7 Wonders plays great up to seven and The Resistance are two that immediately come to mind. I was also able to play Fearsome Floors with seven this past weekend and it wasn't bad either.

Palmer_v1

Thanks for the replies! Semi cooperative games like The Resistance sound good. I was actually just looking up Shadows over Camelot and BSG to see if either of them supported 8.

Breaking up into smaller groups is my personal preference, but some of the others think a massive game would be fun. They may change their minds after the first 4 hour slog through something.

ultron87

The Resistance supports a ton of players and goes really fast.

It also could potentially destroy friendships. But that's all part of the fun.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Citadels supports 8 pretty decently with the expansion (which I think comes default now).

Breaking up is not a bad thing though! Outside of Mafia-style games I think 6 is my limit for having a good experience. Even 7 Wonders ... it's just a lot of people so you have zero idea what's going on elsewhere. Stuff like King of Tokyo is so awesome with 6 though.

ultron87 said:
The Resistance supports a ton of players and goes really fast.

It also could potentially destroy friendships. But that's all part of the fun.
Yeah the Resistance is great. We played like three games of that in a row on Saturday and it got loud.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Can't Stop is on Yucata now? I love that game! Sent out one big invite to everyone on my list so join up and send me invites too!

Played Snow Tails and Citadels (both 5P) at game night tonight. Fun had by all, especially in Citadels where I pulled off the most ridiculous come-from-behind victory I've ever had in that game.

Snow Tails is giving me some hankering for Formula D -- maybe I need to reconsider that game now in the context of a large game group to play it with.

AstroLad said:
Snow Tails is giving me some hankering for Formula D -- maybe I need to reconsider that game now in the context of a large game group to play it with.
as odd as this sounds, I'm kind of worried about trying the Advanced rules in Formula D. We've played twice but each time had beginners, so we used beginner rules. Without having to worry about different points taking different damage, it made like an arcadey experience and people were playing "silly," like taking massive damage, going up a gear even though they really shouldn't, etc. I feel that because the beginner rules are less serious, it makes for a less serious, more fun more laughs, kind of thing. I do plan on playing advanced rules next game, just to see if this is correct though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gryphter said:
as odd as this sounds, I'm kind of worried about trying the Advanced rules in Formula D. We've played twice but each time had beginners, so we used beginner rules. Without having to worry about different points taking different damage, it made like an arcadey experience and people were playing "silly," like taking massive damage, going up a gear even though they really shouldn't, etc. I feel that because the beginner rules are less serious, it makes for a less serious, more fun more laughs, kind of thing. I do plan on playing advanced rules next game, just to see if this is correct though.
I think you're right. This is a big part of what put me off Formula D was that it felt like it should either be a light--almost party-game or a simmy game, but was really neither. Why I sold it and kept Snow Tails (which is quite similar) instead. But I always really loved the idea of different dice for different gears, and the aesthetics on the game are really great.

Chorazin

Got the Penny Arcade deckbuilding game in today. The game looks great, and the rules make it sound really fun. But wow, they skimped on the cardstock, it's thin as hell and not is a good playing card kinda way. Pretty much calls for sleeves. My group is pretty careful with cards, so hopefully penny sleeves will keep them nice.

Really looking forward to play it though, should be a great time!

RayStorm

I finally managed to not only get my hands on, but also play Robo Rally!

We were 6, we played twice, once on Chess and Spin Zone. Chess, our first game was fairly uneventful, dare I say even a bit tame? Despite that, 5 of 6 wanted to play it again. So we did. And boy, it was mayhem. I died once, someone else managed to race off the board, we had a duel on the finishing line so to speak and a bunch of fun.

Indeed a very nice game and a solid purchase.

I'm not sure about the repair fields though. They seem rather underpowered, with them only repairing only one damage at the end of the turn after the fifth robot movement.

BattleMonkey said:
What we have been doing lately is instead of eating snacks at the table, we take little breaks during our games or between games to head to the kitchen for snacks. Folks will sometimes bring some cake, or other little treats for our game nights, and I keep my place stocked with variety of shit. Nothing but drinking usually during the actual games.

I wish that was possible, but aside from time constraints, which with having 3 hours per week probably are not as severe as I might have made them sound I'm afraid thy really just wand to snack something while playing. I guess I could actually spend some time preparing some real dishes or something the like that's not finger food but eaten with cutlery, but while I might enjoy some cooking here and there, I'm not sure about the logistics of that either. Be it space at the table or time for that matter. *sigh*

Chorazin

Gary Whitta said:
Last Night on Earth is pretty fun, as survivors we are getting wiped out by the zombies though.

BattleMonkey said:
In my xperience, humans have the harder time in lnoe.

In the base version of LNoE, it is harder for the humans. Add in Growing Hunger, it's much easier for the humans, maybe even more in favor of them. The supplements after that can go wither way, depending on which you get.

Didn't seem that way with growing hunger, to me the human players got a massive bonus with the Survival of the Fittest expansion with the crazy powerful unique cards, and new options. While the zombie players pretty much just got nothing in return but the grave weapons, which really are not that good and zombie players seem to often not even bother with the grave weapons.

Hero

Depends on the scenario but from what I recall after you add in the expansions the humans just have too many good cards and characters. There are a bunch of zombie play immediately cards that can actually screw over the zombie player(s) which I didn't really like.

So Nightfall, any comments on it? How unique different from typical DBG's is it? Group s kinda getting sick of the genre and seems a new one comes out every other week now. Nightfall have lot of unique gameplay to give it a whirl? Is the art overall better than the box arts, which is pretty horrible looking.

Might just wait for Eaten by Zombies to be my "last" DBG

BattleMonkey said:
So Nightfall, any comments on it? How unique different from typical DBG's is it? Group s kinda getting sick of the genre and seems a new one comes out every other week now. Nightfall have lot of unique gameplay to give it a whirl? Is the art overall better than the box arts, which is pretty horrible looking.

Might just wait for Eaten by Zombies to be my "last" DBG

Nightfall is pretty fun, but for some reason my group doesn't really enjoy it as much as other DBGs. It's cool in concept.

There's 3 things that differentiate it:

1) You play cards from your hand as a chain, and you have an opportunity to chain every turn (ie. on your opponent's turn). Chains are done via. card colours (the moons). It is a LIFO/FILO (last in, first out/first in, last out) stack like Magic, so going first isn't the best thing.

2) The minions you spawn are forced to attack at the beginning of the round (you can't keep any for your defense). Combat is identical to Magic minus the instants. If you haven't played Magic, then you basically send your minions to attack a player, who then decides who he wants to block that minion with; you can't target a minion specifically to kill it.

3) No Victory Points. Winner is the person with the least amount of "wounds". This is a nice mechanic that prevents people from beating up a single player. Giving the losing player more wounds is pointless.

It's worth a try. I'd advise you try a demo copy before you commit to be sure. I thought my group would love it, but it hasn't ever really been asked to appear at the table after we were done with it.

fallout

BattleMonkey said:
In my xperience, humans have the harder time in lnoe.
In my limited experience with the game (only played a handful of times), the times I remember the humans winning, it was looking really bad for the humans for the first three quarters of the game, with a pretty dramatic turn-around in the last quarter.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I honestly forget who has the edge, but LNOE is definitely designed for last-turn-type heroics. Once in a while you have a squash match but the game succeeds quite often at being crazy close. It's possible you are forgetting some rules though, for what is mostly a light/medium party-type game it has a decent amount of rules fiddliness.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Played Stone Age last night with the girlfriend and 2 friends.. went really, really well.

She is actually finding games she really likes to play... I just should have stuck with the gateway games.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
I honestly forget who has the edge, but LNOE is definitely designed for last-turn-type heroics. Once in a while you have a squash match but the game succeeds quite often at being crazy close. It's possible you are forgetting some rules though, for what is mostly a light/medium party-type game it has a decent amount of rules fiddliness.

Zombies tend to win my games most of the times.

The humans get squashed early when they lose, or it's close. I've never seen a zombie get mauled. Except that time at BGG con when we crushed your wife. In her defense, we managed to get some inane weapons.

I think the humans have it harder simply because they have to work together, and often have multiple problems to juggle. While the zombies just have.. BRAINS to worry about.

AstroLad said:

Never found the game fiddly at all, if anything its very streamlined and simple, even if you toss in expansions. The last minute rush type of play is just natural to the time limit structure of the game and since it uses objectives generally, players end up usually hording around a particular area right near the end in their mad rush to try and win.

Hero

AstroLad said:

It's funny you mention that because one of my favorite games of LNOE was sort of like that. I believe we were playing one of the online scenarios involving the Grimoire of the Dead. In this scenario you take 6 of the townsfolk and secretly and randomly assign each one a number chip underneath them and place them in random buildings. The heroes have to go around interrogating them to see if they are the evil sorcerer who is causing the zombie uprising, kill him and then take the Grimoire of the Dead and burn it.

So what happened was one of our first interrogations wound up being the sorcerer in the farm and since we were relatively unprepared since it was so early one of the characters there used dynamite or something that killed the sorcerer but himself as well. The book now drops in the square the sorcerer died in. Due to the hero respawn rule a person got Johnny who randomly started out with a can of gasoline as his starting card. So Johnny goes over to the book, picks it up and gets a lighter from one of the other heroes in the next turn and burns the book and wins the scenario.

StoOgE said:
Zombies tend to win my games most of the times.

The humans get squashed early when they lose, or it's close. I've never seen a zombie get mauled. Except that time at BGG con when we crushed your wife. In her defense, we managed to get some inane weapons.

I think the humans have it harder simply because they have to work together, and often have multiple problems to juggle. While the zombies just have.. BRAINS to worry about.

Sounds like the survivors need to work together better or learn to farm up items. Really as long as the scenario have a really short time constraint which most of them don't as long as the survivors can hole up in a building farm some weapons or items they start to snowball really quickly. Once you have one or two powerful survivors you move as a group and its really hard for zombies to come back without specific cards that will destroy their weapons (rare and conditional) or LNoE or Bickering which may or may not apply at the time and sit in the zombie players' hand just wasting a potential card slot.

BattleMonkey said:
Never found the game fiddly at all, if anything its very streamlined and simple, even if you toss in expansions. The last minute rush type of play is just natural to the time limit structure of the game and since it uses objectives generally, players end up usually hording around a particular area right near the end in their mad rush to try and win.

No, I agree with Astrolad. For the most part the game is simple but there are definitely a lot of questions that aren't covered in the rulebook that I've had to consult online. The expansions just get worse when you toss in special zombies and barricades. A lot of the wording on the cards is done poorly as well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
People always mess up the rules and interactions, which is why there's a big unofficial FAQ for it. There are many important rules that you cannot know how to play correctly if you don't read the FAQ and a few of the more popular BGG rules forum threads.

AstroLad said:
People always mess up the rules and interactions, which is why there's a big unofficial FAQ for it. There are many important rules that you cannot know how to play correctly if you don't read the FAQ and a few of the more popular BGG rules forum threads.

I've never ran into rules "you cannot know" in the many times I've played. I'll take a look at this "faq" and see whats on it, though I have a feeling I will probably end up rolling my eyes with how over analyzed much of the game will be... like many "ameritrash" titles.

Hero

BattleMonkey said:
I've never ran into rules "you cannot know" in the many times I've played. I'll take a look at this "faq" and see whats on it, though I have a feeling I will probably end up rolling my eyes with how over analyzed much of the game will be... like many "ameritrash" titles.

If you feel that way there's no stopping you from your opinion but there are a lot of different variables and unclear wordings that create these huge standstills in the gameplay because everyone has their own interpretation of it. If you've been on the BGG forums for this game and took a look at how many questions arise it's clear this game is not as simple as you make it out to be.

Hero said:
If you feel that way there's no stopping you from your opinion but there are a lot of different variables and unclear wordings that create these huge standstills in the gameplay because everyone has their own interpretation of it. If you've been on the BGG forums for this game and took a look at how many questions arise it's clear this game is not as simple as you make it out to be.

The game is simple, rule issues I don't find to have anything to do with a games actual complexity. I dunno but I personally never have had a game of LNOE grind to a halt or have any rule issues and have played with many different groups, so I find it all very odd for a game that has gone so smooth for the many different attempts at it. Looking at the rules forum on BGG, I'm not seeing major issues, really to me doesn't seem much different from the rule forums in countless other "ameritrash" games.

Now their new game Fortune and Glory, that I'm kind of afraid of as prepping it and reading the rules for it, I have already lots of questions, it seems like a very messy rule set compared to their previous titles.

Neverfade

Hero said:

BGG Rules forums are comprised majorly of idiots, rules lawyers and sperg heads. of COURSE one of the most owned games has more questions.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
well if we're comparing it to ffg garbage that needs four faqs to even be playable, then yes it's totally "streamlined" and simple.

back in realityland however

Tonight was the 1st night in our hopefully weekly game nights with my local group. Started out with 4 players but a 5th came about an hour later. As a joke, one of the guys looked at my shelf and asked about playing Sorry Sliders. It just so happens that I hadn't tried it out yet and was hoping to play it, so I took the opportunity to set it up and if it was bad, I'd have blamed him, lol. Turned out to be a hit! Silly fun and lots of laughs to be had. It's funny because I bought it as a "poor man's Crokinole" but I'll probably just keep this and forget the expensive, and hard to store, Crokinole board now. We played 3x before the 5th guy showed up.

We then played a scenario in Castle Ravenloft, it was the one with the Flesh Golem and the 6 key items that would either calm or enrage him. We STEAMROLLED the crap out of it for the win, felt great but we got really lucky with the monster spawns and the tiles being white arrows (no encounter card). There really was not much tension since we were doing so well.

After that, 2 games of King of Tokyo to end the night, 1st time playing for one of the guys. My fiance won the first game with points, both my fiance and I won the 2nd game because she took the Monster Sidekick card, I killed her, and we were the last 2 players. The 1st time player liked the game.

AstroLad said:
What is the best way to play The Resistance with a new group of 6? Advanced rules ("plots"?)? Variants?
I actually have yet to play with those extra cards, but I'd say a general rule of thumb for any new group is to start off simple. Unless they've played Werewolf or Mafia before, but even then I'd only bring the extra cards in once everybody's played and familiar with the core game.

The extra cards don't really add much complexity to the game, they are pretty straightforward and say exactly what they do. The expansion card insert also notes that you can just put them in right away with a new group

ultron87

In my experience the extra cards in Resistance give the Resistance a much more equal chance of winning.

It is extremely difficult to root out the spies in time if your only source of information is the results of missions. Unless of course the spies are terrible liars.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
What is the best way to play The Resistance with a new group of 6? Advanced rules ("plots"?)? Variants?

go with the plot cards. They are not very hard to explain at all. In fact, they kind of explain themselves.. and they give the game some interest. With less players you shouldn't use them. With 6 I think the resistance needs the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom