• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think Unison has a Yucata account as well, him and I were talking about playing A Few Acres of Snow there the other day but I'm slow on reading the ruleset and the Youtube videos on the game aren't very accurate hahaha. His username is either going to be Unison, UnisonNYC, or NYFilmFest I'd guess.

Sweet; feel free to add me to the list. And to be clear, what do you mean by "down with Luna"? As in, you are down with it, and wish to play it? Or as in, it's in some sort of position of privilege and you wish to see it brought down?

I jsut don't like the game much, though I admit that wasn't clear now haha.
Oh, and you mention AstroLad and SuperRobot specifically, but I don't see their names on the list?

Oops, I just copied it from earlier in the thread, not sure where those two are

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Are you guys up for playing Yucata again?

The bummer about Yucata is you can't start games that aren't feel (like you can on Carc iOS, e.g.), but you CAN over-invite. Also you don't get pinged with invites so you actually have to go there and check from your overview screen.

These are the people I know to be active on there (please post if you are active/want to play but aren't on the list, or vice versa):

AstroLad
carno
Choodi
JeremyH (GAF: Unison) [adding back based on stump's post]
Mashing
MrMan2k7
Neverfade
platypotamus
RiOrius [adding]
sneaky77
stump [ditto]
SuperRobot
Triphibian (GAF: Flynn)
Yaboosh
Zalasta

*looks at yucata lists of people*

Which reminds me I haven't took my turns in ages! Sorry everyone, stupid work taking all of my time.

I just got and ipad and bought Smallworld and HTMF!, any other good game? (I already have TTR, carcassone and NH from my ipod)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh these are the games I am always up for playing btw if you want to send me random invites:

A Few Acres of Snow
Balloon Cup
Campaign Manager 2008
Can't Stop
Carcassonne H&G
Dragonheart
Founding Fathers
Roll through the Ages
Stone Age
Thunderstone

wanders

I finally delved into neo-board gaming. Holy shit these games are great, where have they been my whole life?!?!?!. Bought Dominion: Intrigue since my friends and I are into Yu-Gi-Oh. What a blast! Since then I bought Forbidden Island, Carcassonne, Bohnanza and, my newest arrival, The Resistance. Being that Dominion was such a hit, I have Thunderstone: Wrath of the Elements expansion on its way. Does anyone know if the following games are worth picking up? They're on sale at Eagle Games for those who want to check out the prices:

Oltre Mare
Cavum
Bucket Brigade
Genesis
My Dwarves Fly
Goldbrau

I want to pick up Cavum because of the steep discount, but I'm not sure if my buds would like it... Thanks in advance!

I finally delved into neo-board gaming. Holy shit these games are great, where have they been my whole life?!?!?!. Bought Dominion: Intrigue since my friends and I are into Yu-Gi-Oh. What a blast! Since then I bought Forbidden Island, Carcassonne, Bohnanza and, my newest arrival, The Resistance. Being that Dominion was such a hit, I have Thunderstone: Wrath of the Elements expansion on its way. Does anyone know if the following games are worth picking up? They're on sale at Eagle Games for those who want to check out the prices:

Oltre Mare
Cavum
Bucket Brigade
Genesis
My Dwarves Fly
Goldbrau

I want to pick up Cavum because of the steep discount, but I'm not sure if my buds would like it... Thanks in advance!

I haven't played any of these, but if you mean this page http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EGL050
the discount is not that steep. Most online game stores would beat that price

Merino

I'm active on Yucata under same username (Merino).
Have only played A Few Acres of Snow so far and if you don't mind a very slow going game I'm always up for new invites.

god damn this math trade. While searching the trade list it got me looking shit up which opened the "I need this!" part of my brain. I'll probably end up buying several titles if I don't get them in the trade

Xater

I am really getting this itch to buy a new game. I am not really sure what to get though. I am interested in Descent but I am holding out for the new edition. Has there been any new great game last year? Maybe you guys can help me out with something I might like if I mention a few games I really enjoy: Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Memoir 44, Pandemic, Stone Age

I am really getting this itch to buy a new game. I am not really sure what to get though. I am interested in Descent but I am holding out for the new edition. Has there been any new great game last year? Maybe you guys can help me out with something I might like if I mention a few games I really enjoy: Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Memoir 44, Pandemic, Stone Age

that's a broad range. How many do you usually play with? Are you looking for something deep, light, short, long... funny, strategic, co-op, etc?

Xater

that's a broad range. How many do you usually play with? Are you looking for something deep, light, short, long... funny, strategic, co-op, etc?

Our group consists usually of 4 people. I kind of want something deep, like Arkham Horror but everyone says the game takes forever to play. And yeah our group really enjoys co-op, Pandemic gets A LOT of playtime.

Switters

Our group consists usually of 4 people. I kind of want something deep, like Arkham Horror but everyone says the game takes forever to play. And yeah our group really enjoys co-op, Pandemic gets A LOT of playtime.

I would highly recommend Merchants & Marauders. Quick set up, quick turns until there's a bunch of battles going on, outstanding theme and presentation. It does have a couple of flaws but nothing game breaking. Very fun.

Neverfade

This is easy then.

Elder Sign.

Its literally Arkham Horror meets Pandemic that plays in a little over an hourish.

4 players, deep like AH without the length, co-op...

sounds like 1 of the D&D board games. There's 3 of them, Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and the newest, Legend of Drizzt. They all play the same but have different characters and scenarios. They appear to be a dungeon crawlers at 1st but play more like a co-op survival. the manual comes with several scenarios to choose from so the game can be played multiple times with different objectives

Xater

I would highly recommend Merchants & Marauders. Quick set up, quick turns until there's a bunch of battles going on, outstanding theme and presentation. It does have a couple of flaws but nothing game breaking. Very fun.

I like the theme but seems a bit too long as well.

This is easy then.

Elder Sign.

Its literally Arkham Horror meets Pandemic that plays in a little over an hourish.

I have been thinking about this one, but looking at tit it seems a bit too much like Yahtzee. is that a unfounded concern?

4 players, deep like AH without the length, co-op...

sounds like 1 of the D&D board games. There's 3 of them, Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and the newest, Legend of Drizzt. They all play the same but have different characters and scenarios. They appear to be a dungeon crawlers at 1st but play more like a co-op survival. the manual comes with several scenarios to choose from so the game can be played multiple times with different objectives

Ok I have been thinking about picking up one of these before. They look kind of like what I want, but there is not German version. The issue is not the language but the English editions are kind of expensive here. I just looked up Legend of Drizzt on Amazon.de and it's 60€.

Neverfade

Mechanically, its definitely reminiscent of Yahtzee. However, its an FFG game. Theres a lot more goin on than just getting 5 of a kind. There are choices and many ways to mitigate the pure luck. I think the game is good, not great, but everyone iny group cant seem to get enough. Regardless, its cheap enough to not say no to a copy.

Ok I have been thinking about picking up one of these before. They look kind of like what I want, but there is not German version. The issue is not the language but the English editions are kind of expensive here. I just looked up Legend of Drizzt on Amazon.de and it's 60€.

running that through the currency converter... and holy cow that comes to $77. Yeah, not worth that much.

How about Battlestar Galactica? I'd say it's deep like AH, certainly co-op with the exception of the hidden traitor(s), but the runtime can get to the 2-3 hour mark and I'm not sure if this fits into "non-AH amount of time to play." The game certainly delivers on excitement and you don't need to be a fan of the show to enjoy or understand it.

Xater

Mechanically, its definitely reminiscent of Yahtzee. However, its an FFG game. Theres a lot more goin on than just getting 5 of a kind. There are choices and many ways to mitigate the pure luck. I think the game is good, not great, but everyone iny group cant seem to get enough. Regardless, its cheap enough to not say no to a copy.

Alright, I'll put it on my "maybe" list. This game also has no local release yet but the price is alright.

running that through the currency converter... and holy cow that comes to $77. Yeah, not worth that much.

How about Battlestar Galactica? I'd say it's deep like AH, certainly co-op with the exception of the hidden traitor(s), but the runtime can get to the 2-3 hour mark and I'm not sure if this fits into "non-AH amount of time to play." The game certainly delivers on excitement and you don't need to be a fan of the show to enjoy or understand it.

Yeah that's what I mean. The prices for the import games are a bit much. Sucks that there does not seem to be any plan to translate these games. I took a look at BG once but that did not seem to be my cup of tea.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also consider Ghost Stories if you're up for something slightly heavier than Pandemic and eve a bit more challenging -- though it still plays in under 90.

Yeah that's what I mean. The prices for the import games are a bit much. Sucks that there does not seem to be any plan to translate these games. I took a look at BG once but that did not seem to be my cup of tea.

I always imagined Germany to be like a boardgaming haven, probably just because of the Essen convention. Is this untrue or is it like strictly Euro-games available there?

Take a look at Mansions of Madness and Betrayal at House on the Hill. More so the latter if time is an issue.

Slacker

Also consider Ghost Stories if you're up for something slightly heavier than Pandemic and eve a bit more challenging -- though it still plays in under 90.

I can't tell if Ghost Stories is just really hard or I just really suck at it. I've played ~15 times and haven't lived long enough to see Wu-Feng appear yet. >___<

Krelian

I'd like to try Ghost Stories too, but it doesn't seem to be available in Germany either. I can't find the base game, only expansions.

I always imagined Germany to be like a boardgaming haven, probably just because of the Essen convention. Is this untrue or is it like strictly Euro-games available there?
There are many games available here, many of them Euro-games. It's sometimes difficult to find American games, though (or non-Euro-games, if that's a thing). I'm just glad most games from FFG get a release.

Xater

Oh it's usually fine here. FFG games also always get a release here it just takes some time. Wizard of the Coast doesn't seem to care though. None of the D&D games are out here and I have also heard nothing about Mageknight, yet.

@Krelian: Yeah the German release of Ghost Stories seems to be out of print.

eznark

Banned
Astro, did you ever break out 1st & Goal? Feel free to link me if you've already posted about it.

Without football I suddenly have time. So, so much time.

sigh

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Astro, did you ever break out 1st & Goal? Feel free to link me if you've already posted about it.

Without football I suddenly have time. So, so much time.

sigh

ha!

-Both teams have decks with ~3 copies of ~15 different plays for both offense and defense. You draw a hand of 8 from your deck and then each person plays a card. This dictates what dice will be rolled. There are six colors of offensive dice, 3 running and 3 passing, of varying strengths. One play die which determines breakaways, penalties, etc. One penalty die and one ref die which determines what happens if a penalty or turnover occurs. One defense die as well which you might roll multiple times if you pick the perfect counter play. The regular dice have a bunch of different numbers on them and you add the whole thing up, but the outcome will often be affected by the play die and its penalties/turnovers/breakaways as well. So it really comes down to whether you are up for a big dicefest.

-There is a ton of bluffing and reverse reverse psychology in the game. Basically of course I have to pass to get a 1st so maybe I'll try the most aggressive run of all and hope that my opponent picks prevent. This will lead to me rolling some nice dice. But maybe this is too obvious....

-The bits are generally quite nice. A little field/board as well as a magnetic ball and down markers to keep track of position on the field. Only downside is the dice which you have to put stickers on. Even then they're colored and pretty big and meaty.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
About an hour.

The "clock" is actually the offense deck -- half ends when it runs out and your hand is empty. When you have a running play you burn a card, and if you get a completion (pass + positive yardage) you have the option to burn a card. There are also timeouts that let you stop a burn and dig into your discard pile and pull a card.

I am thinking of picking up Dominion tonight.

do any of you play this game with card sleeves? do they fit back in the box?

should I even worry about it?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Interesting, never heard of that one. BGG says it's really for 3-5 fwiw, so should be relatively easy decision depending on what you're looking for.

eznark

Banned
Interesting, never heard of that one. BGG says it's really for 3-5 fwiw, so should be relatively easy decision depending on what you're looking for.

I watched a couple videos that said it played well with 2. Honestly, I kind of think me and BGG aren't exactly looking for the same things out of a game so I tend to take it with a rather large grain of salt.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I watched a couple videos that said it played well with 2. Honestly, I kind of think me and BGG aren't exactly looking for the same things out of a game so I tend to take it with a rather large grain of salt.

Yeah that's fair. Generally if a game doesn't "Play Well With" a certain # it is a fairly big difference from the game as intended (see, e.g., RoboRally with 2), but doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Phthisis

Picked up the Storm of Souls expansion for Ascension; it is awesome. Some great new mechanics (I've had some epic turns when the right event is sitting out on the board). I also love the new art for the starting and Always Available heroes. I also think Trophies are genius. I love how this game is building out. If you like Dominion but want something a little more thematically "out there", Ascension is awesome (and if you want to try it out, the iOS app is only $5 and is very very replayable).

The other game I've been hooked on recently is FFG's Lord of the Rings card game. My god is it magnificent. I cannot wait until I get the expansion packs from Amazon. The design of the game is so clever. Me and my gf are going to be playing this several times a week for a long time.

Slacker

Anybody get Caylus iOS yet? It looks pretty damn good.

It is pretty damn good, with a couple reservations. I've had it crash on me a couple times, but nothing too gamebreaking. Unfortunately, the online mode is very poorly implemented. Problems in no particular order:
  • No apparent profile/stat tracking of any kind.
  • You can't invite friends to play a game. Your best bet currently is to create a game called something like "Private with Jimmy" and hope your particular Jimmy is the only one who joins.
  • You can't see if it's your turn from within the app. You can see the list of games you're playing (which is limited to only 3), and you get push notifications, but if you're like me and dismiss then quickly forget what the notification said, you'll have to click through to each game to determine if it is your turn or not.
  • No non-async mode. I don't do it often, but occasionally I like to take a break from the 10 Carcassonne games I have going asynchronously and play one online real-time. Caylus doesn't have this option. Of course you can play an async game quickly if everyone sticks around, but there's no mechanic forcing them to make their move.

Other than the issues with that, however, it's pretty damn good indeed. The visuals are bright and easy to understand. The board game itself is awesome (I hadn't played it before this). It's universal, which is always welcome (it plays a tiny bit clunky on the iPhone, but not bad at all). And $5 for a universal app of a big name board game is a bargain. Overall it was a solid pick up for me, and I will get a ton of play out of it once the online issues are ironed out a bit.

Anybody get Caylus iOS yet? It looks pretty damn good.

I've just played a two player against the AI.
I only have carc to compare with. It needs tap control for placement of workers but at the
moment you have to drag the workers onto the buildings which if you haven't zoomed
in can hit the wrong building.
Some of the tapping on the phone for favours is fiddly. Probably easier on ipad.
That said I managed to get though the game without getting lost.
Not as immediate as carc obviously but ok.
Internet play is not hooked up with gamecentre. Not sure if it is planned.

Pepboy

I am thinking of picking up Dominion tonight.

do any of you play this game with card sleeves? do they fit back in the box?

should I even worry about it?

I don't play with sleeves and don't worry about it. My guess is that with the standard box, the sleeves would add too much width and too much thickness. The cards are pretty durable, in my opinion. If some of the cards get dinged and become recognizable, you could always add sleeves at that point. Then again, if you like pristine games, you do shuffle a lot.

Sleeves make it so much easier to shuffle. Even if I didn't care about the cards not getting messed up, I'd still sleeve Dominion and any other deckbuilder just because of the easier shuffling.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Don't feel the need to worry about sleeves unless:

-You are a Magic player and prefer playing with sleeves. (I know there's an argument that sleeves are easier to shuffle, but this only applies if you and your friends are experienced with shuffling them. For casuals they tend to be clunky and sometimes even painful to shuffle.)
-You are extremely anal.
-You play with people who are such rabid cheaters that they will scrutinize every face-down card closely to try to determine what it is.

Are my Dominion cards a little worn down? Sure, but not extremely so. And not worn down in a way that you can distinguish them from new cards unless you're really actively trying to cheat.

I generally feel that sleeves are more trouble and cost than they're worth.

Don't feel the need to worry about sleeves unless:

-You are a Magic player and prefer playing with sleeves. (I know there's an argument that sleeves are easier to shuffle, but this only applies if you and your friends are experienced with shuffling them. For casuals they tend to be clunky and sometimes even painful to shuffle.)

lol, seriously?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjLp5wh5y90

Holy shit, that's crazy difficult!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom