• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverfade

You guys use the storefront to game ever? Hows that go over?

From what I saw of Tom Vasel's behind the scenes vid the neckbeard quotient looked like it might be rather high. No offense if you have a neckbeard.

From what I saw of Tom Vasel's behind the scenes vid the neckbeard quotient looked like it might be rather high. No offense if you have a neckbeard.

Nope. Bad enough when I went in there today there were like 20 Magic guys in there. I swear, not a single one of them look like they showered in the last few days. I got in and out as quickly as possible.

Neverfade

That how my Local Store is. On top of that they sell at MSRP and only carry a handful of 'sure hits'. Dominion, Arkham, Puerto Rico. Settlers, Carc, etc. Needless to say I haven't been there in a long time.

However, I got an invite on meetup.com from a local guy who found me on BGG to join a group of gamer in the area. They all look stable for the most part and they meet in a coffee shop and not a stinky game store. The only downside I can see is that they play a lot of light/super euro stuff which really isn't my fare. If I get there and have to choose to sit at a Thurns & Taxis, Agricola, or a Settlers table my head might explode.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

lots of sleeved cards being shuffled i'm sure

LProtag

That how my Local Store is. On top of that they sell at MSRP and only carry a handful of 'sure hits'. Dominion, Arkham, Puerto Rico. Settlers, Carc, etc. Needless to say I haven't been there in a long time.

However, I got an invite on meetup.com from a local guy who found me on BGG to join a group of gamer in the area. They all look stable for the most part and they meet in a coffee shop and not a stinky game store. The only downside I can see is that they play a lot of light/super euro stuff which really isn't my fare. If I get there and have to choose to sit at a Thurns & Taxis, Agricola, or a Settlers table my head might explode.

Here we've got a really nice established store, but most of the games getting played are (from what I hear) wargames and 18XX, pretty heavy duty affairs.

Honestly I should have asked this really nice family that I helped out in the store to game sometime. They couldn't remember the game but just bits and pieces of what it was about, I guessed Cyclades and was right and also had just seen it on the shelf so I pointed it out.

Perhaps if I hang out enough I'll meet some people in the local area. Right now my group is just myself and two friends, missing that one extra person for the sweet spot of 4 and the 3 people for the other big sweet spot of 6.

Did anyone pick up a copy of Eclipse? Hadn't heard about the game, then checked it out on boardgamegeek since it was at the top of the Hot List. Checked out Drakkenstrike's excellent component/rules breakdown video and am really intrigued. From what I understand from the forums, the game came out in North America in December, but there weren't enough copies to satisfy all the pre-orders and now they are going for $150+ on ebay. A second printing seems to be coming in April or so. Anyone know what happened? Asmodee just incredibly underestimate demand for this title?

crokinole_hilinski_swampfox.jpg

Anyone here own a crokinole game? I am thinking about picking one up and wanted some impressions.

fenners

Did anyone pick up a copy of Eclipse? Hadn't heard about the game, then checked it out on boardgamegeek since it was at the top of the Hot List. Checked out Drakkenstrike's excellent component/rules breakdown video and am really intrigued. From what I understand from the forums, the game came out in North America in December, but there weren't enough copies to satisfy all the pre-orders and now they are going for $150+ on ebay. A second printing seems to be coming in April or so. Anyone know what happened? Asmodee just incredibly underestimate demand for this title?

It rocks. Absolutely rocks. It's a game with a lot of "bits" in the box & I think Asmodee were just very conservative with the print run. I paid normal CSI prices for me, I wouldn't pay $150 for it despite loving it - it'll be back to normal prices in a few months. Still my favourite game of last year ;)

Artadius

I picked up Mage Knight tonight from CSI. Holy shit, this game looks insane. The rulebooks look pretty daunting too, they are fairly long with a tiny font. I'm going to try to figure this game out tomorrow.

My only complaint is the card stock is beyond pathetic, it is super thin, as rough as cardboard, and has this fake linen design on the cards. I'll be sleeving them though, so it won't matter too much. All of the rest of the components look great, even though the tiles have that same fake linen design on them.

This infuriates me! I must have this game!

eznark

Banned
It's like it was made for Astro

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34444975&postcount=231

Bruce, Julian, and Rob host board game designer Martin Wallace to ask him that timeless question, “How awesome is your game?” The crew discuss A Few Acres of Snow, the card-based board wargame that has consumed their lives, and dissect how it handles its subject: The French and Indian War. Martin explains why a game about 18th-century colonial warfare was originally conceptualized as a game about interstellar warfare. How does Martin approach his various subjects, and why does he think that is distinct from how most wargames are designed?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm glad you posted that or I would have missed it! I can always do with something a little more high-brow than The Dice Tower.

If you search this thread you'll see there's been quite a bit of talk about Eclipse. They just sold many more copies than they expected to. Definitely don't bother paying more than retail for it. It's a great game, but it's not worth double the normal price (no game is).

MichaelBD

Since picking it up right after Christmas I've had the chance to play a few games of Airlines Europe and I'm really liking it. I think, depending on the crowd, it will replace Ticket to Ride as my gateway game of choice. It's still very simple to learn/teach and there are more decisions to be made. Play time is around the same length too, maybe even a bit shorter.

Definitely worth a look.

Since picking it up right after Christmas I've had the chance to play a few games of Airlines Europe and I'm really liking it. I think, depending on the crowd, it will replace Ticket to Ride as my gateway game of choice. It's still very simple to learn/teach and there are more decisions to be made. Play time is around the same length too, maybe even a bit shorter.

Definitely worth a look.

I found it very good but nearly unplayable due to my colorblindness. I wish it had different models for the different airlines.

johnyqd

crokinole_hilinski_swampfox.jpg

Anyone here own a crokinole game? I am thinking about picking one up and wanted some impressions.

We've had a board for 5+ years now and have taught so many people to play, from non gamers to heavy wargamers. Everyone has a good time. I've never known a game which is so consistently enjoyed.

There is also an amazing depth of strategy to be explored once everyone calms down and stops power shooting the disks all over the place.

So, I don't play board games much but more recently me and some friends have been playing Munchkin (flame if you must). I was just going to ask for expansion recommendations. Kind of tired using starter set.

So, I don't play board games much but more recently me and some friends have been playing Munchkin (flame if you must). I was just going to ask for expansion recommendations. Kind of tired using starter set.

I don't know much about the expansions, but don't worry about people flaming you for enjoying whatever games you like to play. I have not seen any of that kind of snobbishness here. :)

I could wrong but I thought all of the Munchkin games played roughly the same. You could just pick up a theme that interests you and go from there.

xeris

I could wrong but I thought all of the Munchkin games played roughly the same. You could just pick up a theme that interests you and go from there.

They mostly do, but there are a couple that have odd mechanics and work better as stand-alone because their gimmick doesn't work if you dilute the card pool too much. If I remember right, the Kung-Fu one had that problem.

MichaelBD

Munchkin was one of the main reasons I've gotten into gaming as hard as I have. Nowadays it doesn't hold the same luster as it did when we first played it, but we were into it hard enough that I have most of the expansions for the base game and even bought two playing card boots to make playing the game with so many cards manageable.

Sorry that I don't remember most of the names but off the top of my head the two expansions that I enjoyed the most were the ones that added mounts and the one that added different dungeon rooms (oversized cards that were played under certain circumstances).

One thing I also wanted to try but never did was mixing different themes (like Munchkin and Munchkin Fu).

MichaelBD

I found it very good but nearly unplayable due to my colorblindness. I wish it had different models for the different airlines.
Yeah I could see how that would be troublesome. The red and orange planes are so close together in color that I actually--gasp--took a sharpie to the orange planes and drew a dot on the nose of each.

The orange and brown stock cards are close enough in hue to make me double-take now and again during scoring, and the red and Air Abacus cards are really close in color. If not for the orientation of the printing I could see that being messy too.

Played my first ever game of Arkham Horror last night.

There were three of us, none of whom had ever played before. We had Yog-Sothoth and won before he awoke - it took us 7 hours (including board setup, learning the game, pizza and beer).

It was really close - we had 5/6 gates sealed, but the Doom track was at 11/12 and the Terror track was at 9/10 (with 4 monsters in the Outskirts - the next surge would have awoken the Ancient One). I failed the first attempt at sealing the sixth gate - we were on the edge of our seats every time we drew a Mythos card.

Tons of fun.

fenners

Real quick guys... As far as deck building games go.

Dominion or Runeage?

Dominon all the way. Rune Age has some nice ideas, but there's nowhere near enough variety in the only set that's out right now. Dominion has a ton of variety available, and is still the "daddy" of deck builders.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes, Dominion by miles.

Not to say Rune Age is bad, but my one and only play of it was very underwhelming and it's definitely a terrible intro to the genre. Unless you are really big on player interaction.

fenners

Yes, Dominion by miles.

Not to say Rune Age is bad, but my one and only play of it was very underwhelming and it's definitely a terrible intro to the genre. Unless you are really big on player interaction.

Yep, I didn't dislike it, but saw nothing in the base game to make it worth keeping until FFG expands it & revises it. I traded my copy already.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Played my first ever game of Arkham Horror last night.

There were three of us, none of whom had ever played before. We had Yog-Sothoth and won before he awoke - it took us 7 hours (including board setup, learning the game, pizza and beer).

It was really close - we had 5/6 gates sealed, but the Doom track was at 11/12 and the Terror track was at 9/10 (with 4 monsters in the Outskirts - the next surge would have awoken the Ancient One). I failed the first attempt at sealing the sixth gate - we were on the edge of our seats every time we drew a Mythos card.

Tons of fun.
Fantastic.. I love Arkham ..wish I got to play it more...my fav RPG Light Boardgame

Justin

Anyone try the Dominion app that just went up (today?) on the app store? It is a pretty great implementation even if it is just the base set. Also it isnt official which means it could disappear at any time...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone try the Dominion app that just went up (today?) on the app store? It is a pretty great implementation even if it is just the base set. Also it isnt official which means it could disappear at any time...

I've been playing Androminion for a while -- it's really good and has tons of sets (no multiplayer but the AI is quite decent). Really quite silly how much time DXV has wasted in getting a real mobile implementation together. I know they wanna protect the cash cow but come on, wasted opportunity.

Justin

I've been playing Androminion for a while -- it's really good and has tons of sets (no multiplayer but the AI is quite decent). Really quite silly how much time DXV has wasted in getting a real mobile implementation together. I know they wanna protect the cash cow but come on, wasted opportunity.

This one uses the actual card art and has full online with lobbies and voice chat. DVX is really upset about it on BGG so it will probably be pulled from the store soon.

TB0hr.png

EoSNP.png

2Xso3.png

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So excited! I'm organizing the first board game night at the IGN offices, this coming Tuesday. Gonna push to check out Cargo Noir for the first time, but it's a diverse group so we'll see what ends up hitting the table.

Interestingly, I heard Gamespot just started a board game night too. Any good big-group team games? :p

Xater

This one uses the actual card art and has full online with lobbies and voice chat. DVX is really upset about it on BGG so it will probably be pulled from the store soon.

http://i.imgur.com/TB0hr.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EoSNP.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2Xso3.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

And I just saw that it is also free. I am downloading it right now. At least now I have something until the real thing is released.

Rio Grande responded to it saying they will at least allow them to leave it up until their official one is released, so long as the unofficial one stays free. They said they expect the official one to be out in a few weeks!

Xater

Rio Grande responded to it saying they will at least allow them to leave it up until their official one is released, so long as the unofficial one stays free. They said they expect the official one to be out in a few weeks!

Hopefully it will get the expansions. Just vanilla Dominion can get boring quickly.

MichaelBD

So excited! I'm organizing the first board game night at the IGN offices, this coming Tuesday. Gonna push to check out Cargo Noir for the first time, but it's a diverse group so we'll see what ends up hitting the table.

Interestingly, I heard Gamespot just started a board game night too. Any good big-group team games? :p
Depends on how big the big-group is. Party games is its own genre. Off the top of my head I would say Werewolf or The Resistance as they can accommodate more people and are a good social game (assuming people get in the right mood).

Depends on how big the big-group is. Party games is its own genre. Off the top of my head I would say Werewolf or The Resistance as they can accommodate more people and are a good social game (assuming people get in the right mood).

+1 to Werewolf or The Resistance, but yeah, if your group gets too big it gets to a point where you either have to split into groups or you're limited to party games only. These board games only support so many and the few that do play large groups, Arkham Horror for example, can take a long time and also leaves people doing nothing until their turn comes around again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Nice, people are catchin' the fevah. :D

In terms of team games, or games with good teamplay variants for fairly large numbers:
RoboRally: Robot-racing mayhem.
Last Night on Earth: Zombies vs. humans. Remains the best zombie game out there by far.
The Resistance: For simple Werewolf-like backstabbing, lying, and treachery.

In terms of games for 6+ without team mechanics, these are my favorites:
Light: King of Tokyo, Bohnanza, 7 Wonders
Heavy: Game of Thrones Board Game, Formula D

Nice, people are catchin' the fevah. :D

In terms of team games, or games with good teamplay variants for fairly large numbers:
RoboRally: Robot-racing mayhem.
Last Night on Earth: Zombies vs. humans. Remains the best zombie game out there by far.
The Resistance: For simple Werewolf-like backstabbing, lying, and treachery.

In terms of games for 6+ without team mechanics, these are my favorites:
Light: King of Tokyo, Bohnanza, 7 Wonders
Heavy: Game of Thrones Board Game, Formula D

I wouldn't consider Formula D a heavy game. It's long but it's pretty light.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh I got fake Dominion too if anyone wants to invite me (is it async?). My GC is AstroLad

Yeah, FD isn't heavy, but I'd say it's significantly heavier than the Light games. It's also my least favorite of all the games listed, but if you're really into car racing.

Neverfade

Im playing this Dominion on iOS and its pretty good. Theres a few things I think need polishing up or interfaced better, but as someone who never got into the digital PC version I love how fast it goes. Ill definitely buy the real deal when it hits.

Keasar

Thing to never ever do again: play a game of Twilight Imperium with 7 people in one sitting.

We started at 12 in the noon with setting up the game, was done with the game at 10 in the night.

I won as humans on having more Public Objectives cleared against the turtle people (tie in victory points), yay.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'd never played any form of Dominion before reading this thread today and trying out the iOS game. It did an OK job of teaching me although I still get my ass handed directly to me on the tutorial difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom