• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played my first game of Dominion with the wife last night, she was frustrated at first because I suck at explaining the rules.

once she understood it however she was hooked! such good fun!

thanks for everyone that recommended that game for 2 players.

Dominion's mechanics are very different than what people are used to. I remember my 1st time playing it, I understood what to do yeah, but it takes ~1 game to realize how buying cards affects the cards you draw. I was lukewarm on it at first but after 2, 3, 4 games I love it just like everyone else.

Dominion's mechanics are very different than what people are used to. I remember my 1st time playing it, I understood what to do yeah, but it takes ~1 game to realize how buying cards affects the cards you draw. I was lukewarm on it at first but after 2, 3, 4 games I love it just like everyone else.

DBG always confuse the hell out of people at first. But once you learn one DBG, players tend to quickly jump into any other DBG you bring out.

Played my first game of Dominion with the wife last night, she was frustrated at first because I suck at explaining the rules.

once she understood it however she was hooked! such good fun!

thanks for everyone that recommended that game for 2 players.

Are you ME? Too funny. I agree it was confusing at first and my wife was very skeptical, but now she's hooked.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DBG always confuse the hell out of people at first. But once you learn one DBG, players tend to quickly jump into any other DBG you bring out.

Yep exactly. There are so many awesome games out now too that have DBG elements that it's worth it. You can also roll into heavier games by saying "it's like Dominion!" and honestly it works.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Speaking of DBG, does anyone actually like Quarriors? God I want to like it so bad but still haven't had a genuinely good game of it. It just sort of ends before anything interesting happens.

wanders

Sweet, Amazon third party seller messed up my order when I bought Thunderstone: WOE and sent me Thunderstone: DL. But they refunded me the money. Woohoo free game! Im now getting Thunderstone: Dragonespire! B)

Been playing Thunderstone on Facebook in the meantime. Did anyone know about this?!

XShagrath

Speaking of DBG, does anyone actually like Quarriors? God I want to like it so bad but still haven't had a genuinely good game of it. It just sort of ends before anything interesting happens.
I like it as a filler. There's not a whole lot of strategy in it that I can see.

But it has that whole "rolling dice" thing that everybody loves so much. Interested to see what the big expansion adds to things. Maybe that'll spice things up a bit.

Hero

I really like the idea of it but every review I read up on it is so ho-hum. I think a dice building game system could be really fun

Mashing

Great filler, not much else going on. I still enjoy it though. I love all the different type of dice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think the tough part is that there seems to be no depth to it at all, but it's actually harder to teach than stuff like Dominion, Ascension, etc. I mean it has a pretty meaty FAQ already, especially for a game where all you do is buy and play the most expensive thing you can at all times, rinse & repeat for five rounds and you're done.

Neverfade

Le shucks. Just ordered the ol' Nexus Ops, Dungeon Pets, Walnut Grove order. Putting their expedited order option to the test at 4:55, haha. We'll see how that goes.

I like it as a filler. There's not a whole lot of strategy in it that I can see.

But it has that whole "rolling dice" thing that everybody loves so much. Interested to see what the big expansion adds to things. Maybe that'll spice things up a bit.

Yea the next expansion sounds like it's supposed to extend the game with more length/depth.

Pepboy

Will have to echo the sentiments above; I feel Dominion works well because there are nice complementarities between cards. Quarriors lacks this dimension, or the games do not last long enough for them to matter.

It doesn't help that putting the dice away (or sorting them before the next game) takes so long in the default box.

I have an idea for so much more interesting of a dicebuilder than Quarriors. Have been working off and on on a prototype for a video game using the system with some friends for a year or so. It tends to get passed around to whichever one of us is unemployed at the time, haha.

MORE length? Jesus christ, kill it with fire.

Reason why the game has no depth is because it doesn't last more than a handful of rounds. It's impossible to really build up any form of strategy in your builds and games with a lucky score can shut down a game way to early. Speed of the game also makes lot of dice and potential combos useless. Set up and clean up take longer than actually playing the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have an idea for so much more interesting of a dicebuilder than Quarriors. Have been working off and on on a prototype for a video game using the system with some friends for a year or so. It tends to get passed around to whichever one of us is unemployed at the time, haha.

Mobile game!

Neverfade

There isn't a mobile version of Quarriors, so there's that market. Ammirite?

Edit: Here's some art to get you started:

6S2zi.jpg

Neverfade

Reason why the game has no depth is because it doesn't last more than a handful of rounds. It's impossible to really build up any form of strategy in your builds and games with a lucky score can shut down a game way to early. Speed of the game also makes lot of dice and potential combos useless. Set up and clean up take longer than actually playing the game.

My Quarriors sessions ALL had me wishing "Can this just be over?". So it's too long. Also, no matter how long the game is, the dice don't combo.

Anyways. Can we move along? The expansion isn't going to make me rebuy the game, regardless of how well received it is.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like the Quarriors art quite a bit actually, but I'm a sucker for whimsical fantasy since I really hate regular fantasy. Another reason why it's a bummer the game hasn't really clicked for me.

Neverfade

That reminds me, I'm not digging this Kickstarter trend. It's great that people can get their games to market when they'd otherwise go unpublished, but I really dislike the having to support it to get X promo that'll "never be printed again!!". It'd be much less of a problem if games you supported didn't take a fucking year to come out. I exaggerate in many cases, but the two projects I supported last August are still not due for another 3 months at least.

Thankfully, the Realm Coins couple has their shit together. Kickstarted in January, delivery in February. Fuck yeah.

That reminds me, I'm not digging this Kickstarter trend. It's great that people can get their games to market when they'd otherwise go unpublished, but I really dislike the having to support it to get X promo that'll "never be printed again!!". It'd be much less of a problem if games you supported didn't take a fucking year to come out. I exaggerate in many cases, but the two projects I supported last August are still not due for another 3 months at least.

Thankfully, the Realm Coins couple has their shit together. Kickstarted in January, delivery in February. Fuck yeah.

I rather dislike the lack of instant gratification as well, but personally I think the exclusive promo items are really cool. It brings a level of collectibility to the hobby, which is awesome. :)

XShagrath

I don't mind Kickstarter when it's used for new games from individuals or really small publishers. It really irks me when someone uses it for a re-print or a largish company tries to use it as a pre-order program.

The only game I've personally kickstarted was Carnival, which I got just a couple days before XMas. It's a decent little filler, and was primarily something that I felt I could play with family. It was a huge hit.

Switters

Played 7 wonders last night. Only got to play 1 game that took maybe 20-25 minutes, but they were very engrossing minutes. I enjoyed the mechanics and the simple to complex advancement through the ages. Very easy to teach and learn.

I also impulsively placed an order for Eclipse. Should be here in a few days. Anyone here have any personal impressions of the game? I'm really looking forward to a grand space game that's not Twilight Imperium.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Any good non-expansion deck building games in the last six months besides Ascension and Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil? My immediate gaming circle seems to be liking card games more recently.

Mashing

Played 7 wonders last night. Only got to play 1 game that took maybe 20-25 minutes, but they were very engrossing minutes. I enjoyed the mechanics and the simple to complex advancement through the ages. Very easy to teach and learn.

I also impulsively placed an order for Eclipse. Should be here in a few days. Anyone here have any personal impressions of the game? I'm really looking forward to a grand space game that's not Twilight Imperium.

It's not really a grand space game. It's more like Civilization in space. I initially heard it being described as TI-lite, but other than the theme and the card board, there's not much similarity. Still, it's a great game.

Chairhome

I always feel like a board game peasant when i visit this thread.

I'm about to sell my Through the Ages board game, if anyone's interested. Looking to pick up either Dominion, TTR Asia map collection or a Catan expansion.

Catan is always our go-to game, but we've played a few games of Smallworld and its been fun.

Switters

Any good non-expansion deck building games in the last six months besides Ascension and Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil? My immediate gaming circle seems to be liking card games more recently.

Thunderstone is pretty good. Very limited player interaction in the stater box. There's always Dominon.

Xater

Thunderstone is pretty good. Very limited player interaction in the stater box. There's always Dominon.

He is looking for some with no expansion so those two would be disqualified immediately.

@Stumpokapow: Any reason you want one without expansions? They are never required and can breath new life into a game you grew tired of.

He is looking for some with no expansion so those two would be disqualified immediately.

@Stumpokapow: Any reason you want one without expansions? They are never required and can breath new life into a game you grew tired of.

Most DBG do not need expansions and work fine stand alone. Game having expansions should be a non issue.

Duo014

I recently discovered a board game called 'Acquire'

It's big fun with 3 people and up. It requires some thinking, but is overall an enjoyable experience.

I play it with the wild cards too. makes it extra tacticall.

ah_prod_acquire_pic2_en.jpg

I haven't played the base game, but Nightfall: Martial Law is pretty good. Lots of player interaction, which is something that is missing from most deckbuilders.

I haven't played the base game, but Nightfall: Martial Law is pretty good. Lots of player interaction, which is something that is missing from most deckbuilders.

I really like the player interaction in Eaten by Zombies, semi coop but also about douchery against other players. Star Trek BDG also has lot of player interaction options.

I really like the player interaction in Eaten by Zombies, semi coop but also about douchery against other players. Star Trek BDG also has lot of player interaction options.

Yeah EbZ is pretty good, but I think Nightfall is better for 2 players. EbZ is a bit different since you'll almost always get to a point where it becomes a Deck Losing game instead of a DBG.

Keasar

There, put down an order for Earth Reborn. Will wait with Mage Knight as I already have Eclipse and Twilight Imperium for those really long game sessions but I think it will be next on my list if not Descent comes out before I consider getting another board game.

Xater

About Mage Knight:

I have seen that the game has this play by play rulebook that teaches you while you play. How well does that work? Do you guys also have any experience with the average length of a game?

It does look interesting. Like I said I want to buy one deep game this year and right now I am eyeing the new edition of Descent and this might also fit the bill. Maybe even more so if the playtime is shorter. Although they say the new edition of Descent will also be faster but we will probably have to wait and see on that one.

Phthisis

Can I recommend you spend the $5 and pick up Ascension on iOS? The game has expansions, but the base game is very playable, very fast, and thematically much better than Dominion.

If you hate it, you're out $5, but if you like it, you could then conceivably buy the iOS expansion, or even the actual analog game(s). What's great about Ascension is that the expansions are playable on their own, without the base game. You might even picking up Return of the Fallen (the first expansion); you can play it two player right out of the box without the need for the base game, and it's small enough that if you don't like it, it's not too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom