• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Played Hawaii last night. It's pretty rad actually. it's largely abstract, but has a lot of different victory paths, liked it a good bit.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Finally finished my Boardgames folding table!
Overall it worked out really well and wasn't to expensive..tho in retrospect I Probably would have spent the extra 50bucks and got a better finished piece of plywood..
We used pine layered and its ok but little rough of a finish..tho it will be covered 95% of the time anyways so maybe it doesn't matter.

Ended up getting 26ft of 3/4 Black T-molding from Playdium store in toronto for 10bucks. stuff works great for table edging.

Its very sturdy and the center is dead level and flat due to using Hardwould flooring to support and align the two boards together underneath.

I bought a jumbo rollup poker mat tabletop and trimmed it to match the table.
Its 42x80 total size.

Heres some pics.
Setup with 9 board TOI for size reference
pic1281273_md.jpg

Setup with 6 Player Twilight Imperium should be enough room for everyones boards/cards and bits.
pic1281274_md.jpg

Table without Mat
pic1281276_md.jpg

Underside just has one coat of varnish for sealing, but get an idea how we got it all connected.
pic1281277_md.jpg

Folded up for storage..its heavy but one person can move it and setup it up.
pic1281279_md.jpg

besada

Banned
Played Saboteur on Board Game Arena and loved it. We were chatting up a storm trying to convince each other that we were or weren't saboteurs. It got pretty hilarious. We need an all GAF Saboteur game.

I'm on BGA pretty regularly if anyone wants a game of something.

My sister posted a video of somebody playing Omega Virus the other day. We used to play that all the time as kids.
I remember it being pretty obnoxious, but it's THAT over the top. The "HEE HEE HEE" voice clips and stuff, pretty crazy.

A game that I miss from that time, and I wonder if it's still as good today -- Clue: The Museum Caper, I think it was called?

panda21

damn Dominion is great. the size of the box compared to whats in it is ridic though.

what is the big black rectangular card that comes with it for? its about the same height as the manuals but half as wide and it just has lots of what appear to be card names and costs in small horizontal scrolls on it? i couldnt find any mention of it in the manual so i'm guessing its not important?

XShagrath

what is the big black rectangular card that comes with it for? its about the same height as the manuals but half as wide and it just has lots of what appear to be card names and costs in small horizontal scrolls on it? i couldnt find any mention of it in the manual so i'm guessing its not important?

You stick that in the slot in the middle of the insert, so that you can organize your cards into the little trays.

If it's what I think it is it's the index. (if it isn't - apologies)
You should be able to sort the different cards alphabetically into the sections in the box (the golds silvers and coppers should fit in specific sections).
Then lay the card down the middle to make the picking of different kingdom cards easier,
and putting them back easier too.
It has a blank reverse I think in case you need your own system.

If you are new to it don't make the mistake I did and include the dark blue backed cards with each group of light blue backed kingdom cards.
("Why did they separate these - Stupid Rio Grande!@%!").
They are to help when you want to randomise sets.
Everyone I know seems to have done the same thing when they unwrapped the cards.

panda21

oh i see, that makes way more sense now! thanks :)

If you are new to it don't make the mistake I did and include the dark blue backed cards with each group of light blue backed kingdom cards.
("Why did they separate these - Stupid Rio Grande!@%!").
They are to help when you want to randomise sets.
Everyone I know seems to have done the same thing when they unwrapped the cards.

wait so the dark blue backed cards do go with the light blue ones or they don't?

wait so the dark blue backed cards do go with the light blue ones or they don't?
No, there is one dark blue card for every card available, and they all go together to form a randomiser deck. It is shown on the index insert on the right as a blue card. It's so you can shuffle and draw 10 random kingdom cards for a game.

I bought Lords of Waterdeep. Most of the criticisms I've read are that it is in no way original and takes mechanics from several other worker placement games, and that it isn't very heavy. This is my first worker placement game though (aside from Caylus iOS) for me and my friends so this seems perfect for that. It was between this and Stone Age, but Lords of Waterdeep was the cheapest (and considerable cheaper than the likes of Agricola) and the components look really nice.

StoOgE

Not that this is really gaming related per se, but I thought this was pretty interesting stuff I never thought of.

I am in the middle of an SEO war with a facebook page and Urban Dictionary.

I finally ousted BGG for the top few spots for a "pandasaurus games" google search, which is the main thing.

But I'm currently sitting 2nd for "pandasaurus". I keep oscilating between that and 3rd with some DJ on Facebook named Pandasaurus Rex. Urban dictionary is sitting at 1st for their definitions of Pandasaurus. My fiancee is a new media marketing exec and she has told me getting in front of Urban Dictionary is one of the hardest things in the SEO world.

Still, were it not for her efforts I would still be on page 3 of google behind some dude's Steam account and one of those weird girls that likes to dress like Japanese dolls.

Also, I own Yahoo and Bing searches. But, who honestly cares. I think I've had like 5 hits from Bing in the last month, and I'm pretty sure those were me testing my bing ranking.

MrMan2k3

A game that I miss from that time, and I wonder if it's still as good today -- Clue: The Museum Caper, I think it was called?

I've got a stack of three or four copies of Clue: The Great Museum Caper cluttering up my shelf. If you're interested in buying one off me for cheap, let me know.

Did some Rex, good stuff but like TI, think it really needs lot of players to enjoy fully. Just wasn't happy with the battle dial, the stupid little clips don't really fit in the big dial. Did bunch of LOTR LCG afterwards, always a good game. Sad that whiners are forcing FFG to make the Star Wars LCG into a competitive game instead of following the coop nature of LOTR.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not that this is really gaming related per se, but I thought this was pretty interesting stuff I never thought of.

I am in the middle of an SEO war with a facebook page and Urban Dictionary.

I finally ousted BGG for the top few spots for a "pandasaurus games" google search, which is the main thing.

But I'm currently sitting 2nd for "pandasaurus". I keep oscilating between that and 3rd with some DJ on Facebook named Pandasaurus Rex. Urban dictionary is sitting at 1st for their definitions of Pandasaurus. My fiancee is a new media marketing exec and she has told me getting in front of Urban Dictionary is one of the hardest things in the SEO world.

Still, were it not for her efforts I would still be on page 3 of google behind some dude's Steam account and one of those weird girls that likes to dress like Japanese dolls.

Also, I own Yahoo and Bing searches. But, who honestly cares. I think I've had like 5 hits from Bing in the last month, and I'm pretty sure those were me testing my bing ranking.

I enjoyed this. :D

damn Dominion is great. the size of the box compared to whats in it is ridic though.

Will Smith at Tested came up with a really good solution for storing the game plus all expansions.
http://www.tested.com/how-to/articles/43546-the-best-way-ive-found-to-store-my-dominion-cards/

rSpooky

So in spite of my wife hating board games, my son being a too cool for that teenager and me wanting to play them I have my two daughters (7 and 10) left over. But they LOVE to play.

They love ticket to ride and forbidden island ( is that right? the sinking one) I also have pandemic and last night on earth but it is unplayed so far. We have played zombies! with house rules and no cards which was hilarious ( but broken because we changed the rules)

The 7 year old just has some trouble at times still ( to make it a challeneg for all) and does not deal well with losing yet. So I am trying to pick my games on simplicity and preferably co-op style. The also love sherlock a memory game for all ages that kids beat the crap out us adults with ..lol little buggers.

This weekend we picked up a few new games, just wanted to share the experience with you guys with kids.
1. card game : fruit ninja
Easy, fast , I see it more as a quick side think like between bigger games or waiting for you dinner at a restaurant. the youngest hated it cause she had bad luck a few times in a row, and it is pretty mch based on luck and pushing your luck.

2. magic labyrinth
LINK
Also simple rules, and a memory type game.. easy to pick up and play , part luck based and part depending on how good your memory is.

3. card game . There is a moose in the house.
picked this up on a whim like the ninja fruit cards. I know it score kinda low on GbG but for kids it was alot of fun. First it is silly and second , despite the incredible convelted written rules it is simple enough and a quick enough game to get a few rounds in and have a good time
4.dread pirate
It was on sale , but I am not sure it is any good.. We have not played it yet, but the kids picked it so ..

I really wanted to get betrayal on the house on the hill (?) but the youngest is to young for that.. no poker face.

any other suggestions?

So in spite of my wife hating board games, my son being a too cool for that teenager and me wanting to play them I have my two daughters (7 and 10) left over. But they LOVE to play.

They love ticket to ride and forbidden island ( is that right? the sinking one) I also have pandemic and last night on earth but it is unplayed so far. We have played zombies! with house rules and no cards which was hilarious ( but broken because we changed the rules)

The 7 year old just has some trouble at times still ( to make it a challeneg for all) and does not deal well with losing yet. So I am trying to pick my games on simplicity and preferably co-op style. The also love sherlock a memory game for all ages that kids beat the crap out us adults with ..lol little buggers.

This weekend we picked up a few new games, just wanted to share the experience with you guys with kids.
1. card game : fruit ninja
Easy, fast , I see it more as a quick side think like between bigger games or waiting for you dinner at a restaurant. the youngest hated it cause she had bad luck a few times in a row, and it is pretty mch based on luck and pushing your luck.

2. magic labyrinth
LINK
Also simple rules, and a memory type game.. easy to pick up and play , part luck based and part depending on how good your memory is.

3. card game . There is a moose in the house.
picked this up on a whim like the ninja fruit cards. I know it score kinda low on GbG but for kids it was alot of fun. First it is silly and second , despite the incredible convelted written rules it is simple enough and a quick enough game to get a few rounds in and have a good time
4.dread pirate
It was on sale , but I am not sure it is any good.. We have not played it yet, but the kids picked it so ..

I really wanted to get betrayal on the house on the hill (?) but the youngest is to young for that.. no poker face.

any other suggestions?
Take a look at Tobago. It's an interesting take on the deduction theme. Each player has a "piece of a map" with instructions on it. The object is to build each map as a group and find where there treasure is. The more people contribute to the map the bigger their stake in the claim will be.

If they are into Ticket to Ride, Airlines Europe it feels like the next step from TTR. It's designed by the same guy, Alan Moon, and feature some similarities to TTR but is a little bit more complex.

Around the World in 80 Days is actually a great family game. It's a race game that's easy to play and teach. I'd say it's a little lighter than Ticket to Ride in terms of complexity.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
any other suggestions?
I'd recommend Small World
I've played a few games with a buddy and his kids, his daughter is 8 and son is 11 and she really enjoys small world actually. Its not any harder to play then Ticket to Ride was as long as you don't mind explaining the race combos.

The simple 2+ how big the stack of cardboard chits on the space to take over is pretty easy to manage.

Oh! I should tell you guys how my search ended up the other day.

I ended up at Aero, and they didn't have any of the games I went in there for. Not a huge surprise. I put in an order for Lords of Waterdeep, and looked through the shelves anyway.

I stumbled upon Fury of Dracula, but decided to pass on it for the item next to it: Blood Bowl Team Manager.

I seemed to remember, I think AstroLad, championing the game or something? It seemed risky; other than myself, nobody in my group really had any affinity for football. Would it go over well? I wasn't sure. I wasn't even sure I'd like it myself.

Well, we decided to give it a shot, and as we finished up the 2nd round of highlights, everyone was saying, "yeah, this game is awesome." We played through it and had a great time. I ended up seriously underestimating the value of team upgrades and staff upgrades, going for Fans most of the time, and got seriously burned at the end.

Still, a fantastic game and one that we'll be happy to play next time we have a group of 4.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh! I should tell you guys how my search ended up the other day.

I ended up at Aero, and they didn't have any of the games I went in there for. Not a huge surprise. I put in an order for Lords of Waterdeep, and looked through the shelves anyway.

I stumbled upon Fury of Dracula, but decided to pass on it for the item next to it: Blood Bowl Team Manager.

I seemed to remember, I think AstroLad, championing the game or something? It seemed risky; other than myself, nobody in my group really had any affinity for football. Would it go over well? I wasn't sure. I wasn't even sure I'd like it myself.

Well, we decided to give it a shot, and as we finished up the 2nd round of highlights, everyone was saying, "yeah, this game is awesome." We played through it and had a great time. I ended up seriously underestimating the value of team upgrades and staff upgrades, going for Fans most of the time, and got seriously burned at the end.

Still, a fantastic game and one that we'll be happy to play next time we have a group of 4.
Awesome! Yep it was probably me though neverfade was one of the original proponents of the game :D

you should also know there's an faq out now that calls for the elimination of some of the overpowered upgrades (see errata). seems like it makes the game even more balanced: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/blood-bowl/support/BBTM_FAQ_web.pdf

Awesome! Yep it was probably me though neverfade was one of the original proponents of the game :D

you should also know there's an faq out now that calls for the elimination of some of the overpowered upgrades (see errata). seems like it makes the game even more balanced: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/blood-bowl/support/BBTM_FAQ_web.pdf

Excellent, thanks! I always forget to look for these things when playing, and we always seem to come across one of these questions.
Thanks for promoting the game, I would have never tried it out otherwise!

Neverfade

Yeah, I like Blood Bowl TM a fair bit, but it does run a little long. It's certainly better with repeated plays, but we've been putting the time towards meatier stuff.

Tonight we did 6 player Rex. Incredibly tense stuff. Allied in round 4 which stuck through the end of the game. I was Lazax teamed up with Xxcha and Sol. Hard fought battle with Sol doing the heavy lifting for his special win to give our alliance the victory. Xxcha got greedy and revealed the #7 betrayal (have less dead in the "dead pool" as we call it than other allies.) so I had to hit him with #8 (control no strongholds) for the mfin' solo win.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I find BBTM works best with 3. 4th player seems to add that extra 30m that's just a little overlong. That said when you have a group that's all played 3+ times you can cut your playtime by half easily.

protonion

Uncharted!

http:
//boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/123045/uncharted-board-game

Welcome to the world of Uncharted: Board Game! In this game, you take on the role of a treasure hunter and compete with other players to gain the most Victory Points. The variety of cards that you collect represent skills and items necessary for or sought after by treasure hunters. You can increase your chances of winning by adding useful cards to your play area. Venture into dangerous ruins, search them thoroughly, and defeat waves of enemies to become a legendary treasure hunter!

Great news for the fans of the game! I hope it's good.

Did some Rex, good stuff but like TI, think it really needs lot of players to enjoy fully. Just wasn't happy with the battle dial, the stupid little clips don't really fit in the big dial. Did bunch of LOTR LCG afterwards, always a good game. Sad that whiners are forcing FFG to make the Star Wars LCG into a competitive game instead of following the coop nature of LOTR.

Did they officially said it will be competitive game game? I thought they just fine tuning it. While I do like the co-op games (really enjoying LOTR and SpaceMarine) I think Star Wars would do better with Rebel vs Empire. Also co-op game while fun, sometimes I find lack of competitive kinda make the game more like puzzle. In any case I would enjoy either, really miss the old Decipher CCG...

Uncharted!

http:

Welcome to the world of Uncharted: Board Game! In this game, you take on the role of a treasure hunter and compete with other players to gain the most Victory Points. The variety of cards that you collect represent skills and items necessary for or sought after by treasure hunters. You can increase your chances of winning by adding useful cards to your play area. Venture into dangerous ruins, search them thoroughly, and defeat waves of enemies to become a legendary treasure hunter!

My only concern at this point, I don't know if this has anything to do with the video game. The seem awfully vague with the language and don't mention Nathan Drake anywhere. You would think that information would be all over the description.

Neverfade

Did they officially said it will be competitive game game? I thought they just fine tuning it. While I do like the co-op games (really enjoying LOTR and SpaceMarine) I think Star Wars would do better with Rebel vs Empire. Also co-op game while fun, sometimes I find lack of competitive kinda make the game more like puzzle. In any case I would enjoy either, really miss the old Decipher CCG...

I personally haven't seen any official documentation. That's just the widely gathered assumption considering it's gotten about a year delay.

StoOgE

Uncharted!

http:

Never heard of the designer, he has some pretty decentish looking games on BGG.. I refuse to get excited about a Bandai game though. The 'quality' of components on Resident Evil is pretty bad.

Uncharted board game was showed off at GAMA, don't know if theres any demo write ups anywhere but some pics of the game are here: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22427.html

Never heard of the designer, he has some pretty decentish looking games on BGG.. I refuse to get excited about a Bandai game though. The 'quality' of components on Resident Evil is pretty bad.

Their Star Trek DBG was also pretty crappy quality as well, though really it's a good game.

I personally haven't seen any official documentation. That's just the widely gathered assumption considering it's gotten about a year delay.

Yea it's assumption but after they announced the "reworking" of it, FFG changed various parts of their site and removed the Coop aspect from the product descriptions for their SW LCG. While they pretty much left everything alone and just announced delays, it was kind of odd that they went through their site just to remove the products coop description. Their forum for it before the changes was pretty much nothing but moaning about the game not being a competitive game.

While I like competitive CCG style games as well, it just dilutes the amount of people who I will have to play with. Coop like LOTR works well with normal board game groups, while the competitive CCG like card games generally only draws in that type of crowd which is always has you trying to draw players away from the big games like MTG and YGO. Loved Warhammer Invasion and got a bunch of GoT cards for my GF, but we barely play them because of the competitive collecting/building aspect of the game. But LOTR gets pulled out all the time.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Finally Got around to playing Cyclades..really fun game overall.
I think it should be a hit for the next gamenight..seems to be a nice medium light depth and length game which will fit into our group well.

Any opinions on the Hades addon?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bandai? Bleh. Low-res images of old art and clunky clearly slapped-together mechanics incoming. Unfortunate, could have been cool in the right hands.

Bandai? Bleh. Low-res images of old art and clunky clearly slapped-together mechanics incoming. Unfortunate, could have been cool in the right hands.

Poor quality is not doubt, but they merely are publishing games which have all been made by different designers. Uncharted designer wasn't involved in any of their recent games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Poor quality is not doubt, but they merely are publishing games which have all been made by different designers. Uncharted designer wasn't involved in any of their recent games.

Ah ok, hopefully their production reputation precedes them in the future but I guess that's good news for Uncharted's prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom