• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have more opinions on this one? I've been eyeing for awhile now, but I haven't been able to get a good sense of whether or not it's a good co-op game. With the little research I've done, it seems like it doesn't change all that much from playing it single-player, which I'm not particularly interested in.

It's good but very very hard. The rules really don't change if you are playing it solo or with other people. Some say it's really just a solo game because of that but I hate solo play and only really enjoy board games when playing with real people.

Erudite

It's good but very very hard. The rules really don't change if you are playing it solo or with other people. Some say it's really just a solo game because of that but I hate solo play and only really enjoy board games when playing with real people.
Yeah, I don't find the idea of playing board games solo all that appealing. There are still plenty of other co-ops I'm interested in so I'll look elsewhere for now.

Pepboy

Anyone have more opinions on this one? I've been eyeing for awhile now, but I haven't been able to get a good sense of whether or not it's a good co-op game. With the little research I've done, it seems like it doesn't change all that much from playing it single-player, which I'm not particularly interested in.

I'm earnestly curious why a co-op game with similar single player rules would be off-putting. It seems all co-op games could be played solo, by just having one person control multiple characters/teams. Some of those might not be interesting because of hidden information; is that the concern? Stated otherwise, what aspect of a co-op game interests you? Is it making decisions as a group toward a common goal? And how would the option to play solo make you less interested? Do you have some examples of co-op games you enjoy? I'm honestly curious about your perspective and not trying to push Death Angel, though it is admittedly one of my favorites.

Anyways, from a few pages back:

My all time favorite solo game is Space Hulk: Death Angel. Don't let the dudebro title mislead you, this is basically Starcraft/Aliens in card form. You play a squad of space marines as they go through a series of areas, getting attacked on both sides by alien swarms. It's a constant battle for survival, as the tide can shift reasonably quick; for the aliens grow stronger as they group together and you need to whittle them down while moving into the next area. Each pair of marines play one of three basic actions each turn, and each pair of marines has unique abilities for each card. Here are two videos if you're curious:

Dice Tower Review and
Full Solo Game with more explanation of rules

I've played it solo at least 15 times over the past year; it's challenging, reasonably priced, relatively easy to learn, strategically interesting, and there are expansions available. The box is also small so it doesn't take up much space. I can easily see myself still playing it occasionally a decade from now.

As far as co-op goes, the rules don't change much but you can theoretically impose zero discussion about which (action) cards people are playing each turn. This makes coordination a lot more difficult and is in line with the theme of momentary decision making in the middle of a battle. This may be the standard rule, I don't remember.

Erudite

I'm earnestly curious why a co-op game with similar single player rules would be off-putting. It seems all co-op games could be played solo, by just having one person control multiple characters/teams. Some of those might not be interesting because of hidden information; is that the concern? Stated otherwise, what aspect of a co-op game interests you? Is it making decisions as a group toward a common goal? And how would the option to play solo make you less interested? Do you have some examples of co-op games you enjoy? I'm honestly curious about your perspective and not trying to push Death Angel, though it is admittedly one of my favorites.
To me, the similar single-player rules are a little off-putting because of the way some of my current co-op games play out, namely Pandemic and Elder Signs.

The handful of times I've played the aforementioned games, it's been with different people every session, and as a result of being the person with the most experience playing these games, more often than not I have my friends just looking to me to see what they should do, at which point I feel like I may as well be playing by myself. Maybe it's just an issue of having inexperienced players and I need to give it more time. Maybe things will change once my friends have become more accustomed to the rules. Otherwise, I'm probably just looking for something that doesn't exist and this kind of situation is just inherent to co-op games in general.

Not to say I haven't enjoyed these games when I've played them, they just haven't been broken out as much as my other recent purchases so my experience and perspective is admittedly limited.

You jerks are trying so hard to get me to place an order with Eclipse and get in trouble with the missus and I'll have you know that you're probably going to succeed

Ha ha. "now" me places the orders, expecting "future" me to come up with a cool plan to keep Mrs Robot sweet. Future me usually panics and hides games in the car.
Future me always lets me down.

I'll be playing my second game of Eclipse tonight (Tues). Hoping to try some more advanced play now that the inaugural game is out of the way. Will report back with impressions of course.

To me, the similar single-player rules are a little off-putting because of the way some of my current co-op games play out, namely Pandemic and Elder Signs.

The handful of times I've played the aforementioned games, it's been with different people every session, and as a result of being the person with the most experience playing these games, more often than not I have my friends just looking to me to see what they should do, at which point I feel like I may as well be playing by myself. Maybe it's just an issue of having inexperienced players and I need to give it more time. Maybe things will change once my friends have become more accustomed to the rules. Otherwise, I'm probably just looking for something that doesn't exist and this kind of situation is just inherent to co-op games in general.

Not to say I haven't enjoyed these games when I've played them, they just haven't been broken out as much as my other recent purchases so my experience and perspective is admittedly limited.

Even coop games where you keep info secret from each other, all will go this way if the people you play with don't participate and put in their own input. Pretty much all coop games require discussion for working together, and the person who has no clue will always ask someone else what they should do.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Even coop games where you keep info secret from each other, all will go this way if the people you play with don't participate and put in their own input. Pretty much all coop games require discussion for working together, and the person who has no clue will always ask someone else what they should do.

That's why it's called coop in the first place.... /add

I played it a couple times - didn't really care for it. It does do a good job at giving a "Space Hulk" feel in a card game, but it just wasn't that fun for me.

I forget the rules, but I remember that one phase of the turn, where you actually plan on moving your cards, was overly cumbersome. So every other phase of the turn would go really fast and fun, but then this one phase really slowed the pace of the game down. Something like that.....

For a card game of this weight, Blood Bowl Team Manager is a thousand times better.

Pepboy

Thank you for your viewpoint. My co-op games are often played with different people as well. So when new players look at me for what to do, I usually just say something like "You should do whatever you think is best." along with "It's just a game, feel free to explore and have fun." Usually after 2-3 iterations of this, they stop looking at me. But in my experience, these games are the ones they often clamor for me to bring out again.

Then, I control my character as best as I can given their actions, which provides an additional level of difficulty and excitement when playing with new players. That being said, I agree that co-op games are best when people are on similar levels of experience and people can have a good debate about best path to follow. It is interesting that games designed to be free from the traditional "winners/losers" post-game bitterness end up with players feeling embarrassed about making silly moves.

Does anyone have any examples of boardgames where there are well-structured rules but players can construct their own (personal) "victory" condition? I don't mean secret objectives per se, more like a game without victory points in which each person writes down their own victory condition. These conditions may be mutually exclusive or entirely cooperative, or anywhere in between. At the end, everyone reveals their condition and whether they succeeded. Or maybe the conditions are revealed halfway through the game for additional hilarity. Examples from Catan would be like "End with the longest road" or "Build four cities" or "Produce the most wood and sheep" or "Give away 100 goods via trade".

When there is no set victory condition, I think embarrassment would be reduced, and the game could still be co-operative depending on the group. I suppose the downside is the lack of playtesting -- it may take several plays before people have a sense of what kind of victory is feasible or interesting.

Edit: Perhaps one practical compromise would be a game with a spread of victory cards. Each victory card has something nifty like the ones above it. Players go around selecting victory cards from the full spread until either everyone is satisfied or cards are gone. Perhaps these victory cards are also translated into victory points. This would be somewhat akin to ticket to ride, if you laid all the train tickets out from the start. But instead of very similar cards (route between Philadelphia and New York, between Pittsburg and New York), you could end up with some interesting cards. I kind of like the original, unconstrained version of the idea above, however.

Does anyone have any examples of boardgames where there are well-structured rules but players can construct their own (personal) "victory" condition? I don't mean secret objectives per se, more like a game without victory points in which each person writes down their own victory condition. These conditions may be mutually exclusive or entirely cooperative, or anywhere in between. At the end, everyone reveals their condition and whether they succeeded. Or maybe the conditions are revealed halfway through the game for additional hilarity. Examples from Catan would be like "End with the longest road" or "Build four cities" or "Produce the most wood and sheep" or "Give away 100 goods via trade".
The original Schizoid power in Cosmic Encounter is the first thing I thought of.
http://cosmicencounter.wikia.com/wiki/Schizoid
Power
You have the power to alter reality. At the start of the game, before cards are dealt, write down how many bases on other players' planets are needed to win. Then add one other game condition which 1) is possible for all players to meet, 2) is clear to all as it happens, and 3) does not require remembering past events (e.g. "Winner(s) must have 3 (foreign) bases and fail to make a deal."). On each challenge, the offensive player may ask you a "yes" or "no" question about the win. You must answer truthfully, aloud. When your conditions are met, you declare the winner. (If you lose your power, normal win conditions prevail.)

They changed this up when they released this power in the FFG version of the game.

cozo

my new copy of dominion just showed up and first thing I'm wondering is... how do people transport this?! if I try lug it by bike to my games night it'll end up in major disarray

and that's just the base game... woof

my new copy of dominion just showed up and first thing I'm wondering is... how do people transport this?! if I try lug it by bike to my games night it'll end up in major disarray

and that's just the base game... woof
Will Smith at Tested had a really good looking solution. Granted he was looking for a way to store the game plus all expansions but it looks like it will transfer well.

http://www.tested.com/how-to/43546-the-best-way-ive-found-to-store-my-dominion-cards/

Pepboy

I won't knock your good intentions, but this sounds about as fun as Fluxx.

Hahaha. I freely admit that "create your own victory" style games wouldn't be fun for everyone. While I enjoy traditional approaches to victory, I was thinking of how some younger members of my extended family can get upset when my original intention is just to bond and have fun. Something like Apples to Apples is fun because no one really cares about victory, it's only a backdrop to having a good time. But it's just so light there's no real strategy. Co-op is nice, but issues discussed above highlight problems.

The original Schizoid power in Cosmic Encounter is the first thing I thought of.
http://cosmicencounter.wikia.com/wiki/Schizoid

They changed this up when they released this power in the FFG version of the game.

Wow, that's a great reference! I don't have the FFG expansions and had never heard of the Schizoids, but they sound really interesting and along the lines of what I had in mind. The discussion on the page provided also highlights some of the issues the original ran into. Thank you very much.

I thought i remembered hearing about a dice game similar to Quarriors that is much better. Anyone hear of anything like that?

Nope, but please let me know if you find one. Does anyone know if Quarriors actually trademarked "Dice Building Game" as indicated on the box sleeve? Or is that just tongue-in-cheek humor? The former would strike me as somewhat slimy.

Finally got to pull out Infiltration. Excellent game, has lot of neat little things to randomize and keep the game fresh, and really simple mechanics. Quick to read and teach.

Nope, but please let me know if you find one. Does anyone know if Quarriors actually trademarked "Dice Building Game" as indicated on the box sleeve? Or is that just tongue-in-cheek humor? The former would strike me as somewhat slimy.

Your not supposed to use those trademarks if you don't mean it, and that company... yea it wouldn't surprise me that they did trade mark it. But all it means is that others can't use the term "dice building game" in their products

So after trying Infiltration and having a good time with it, we pulled out and tried Texas Zombies.

Well this was a fun little party game, you basically are given 3 random item cards. You then present an event card to a player who then has to make up a story in 1 minute using a certain number of items in his hand, the other players then vote if they approve or dislike his/her story. Background being University of Texas students field trip gone bad and ending up at an old abandoned military base, which is now being used by mexican drug cartels to produce drugs using a zombie slave labor force.

The random items and events make for some really fun stories if you got creative people at the table, if not the game is going to fall flat. Of cours it's not much of a game, you score points by having people approve your story. Everyone is secretly assigned a card that puts them on one of two teams. At end you reveal your teams and add up which team scored most points. Since you don't know whose on your team it obviously makes any type of victory kinda pointless since it's totally random.

Xater

Got myself Castles of Burgundy and played my first game just now. I really like it. The only complain might be that it is a bit on the long side. I guess it will probably speed up when everyone knows the chits better.

eznark

Banned
Has the Blood Bowl Team Manager expansion come out yet? I finally played a four person game the other day. I freaking love that game so much.

eznark

Banned
Damn for some reason I thought one was imminent.

I just ordered Black Gold. Looks pretty interesting and it's the first game my wife has picked. Looking forward to it,

Considering buying Agricola for my next purchase, but I just figured I'd ask if you guys knew of any games that are similar yet better/you prefer more? I.e. tight worker placement, tense economic stuff. I do like the idea of the cards in it too to vary the player abilities. So yeah: Agricola alternatives GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Made a jump for backing the Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster kickstarter. The minis do make me a bit excited and the "Calamity Mercenaries" extra figures did hit a certain nerve in my geek body.

Yea I backed it. Though it's really a miniature wargame and not a board game and is going to be supported similar to 40k with more figs and armies over time.

Considering buying Agricola for my next purchase, but I just figured I'd ask if you guys knew of any games that are similar yet better/you prefer more? I.e. tight worker placement, tense economic stuff. I do like the idea of the cards in it too to vary the player abilities. So yeah: Agricola alternatives GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Puerto Rico and Le Havre are great

Agricola is one of my most played games, mostly 2 player with my wife. We absolutely love that game. Lots of variety (with the cards), a fun theme and interesting decisions. As mentioned, Puerto Rico is excellent as well (there is a 2 player variant ruleset that is fun as well). I've really been enjoying Lords of Waterdeep lately as something a little lighter. You really can't go wrong with any of these games.

Flynn

You can't go wrong with Agricola. I have played it a ton and still want to play more. Puerto Rico is also excellent, but those cards really do give Agricola good customization and replayability.

Switters

Brothers! WSIG Claustrophobia, Mage Knight, Twilight Struggle, Dreadfleet, or Civ?

I've got store credit and can have one of these. What do you think?

ooooh that does look good... now to track down an equivalent box here in the UK

The best I've found to get all of the Dominion expansions neatly into one box in nthe UK, aside from a custom box, is this. But I'm not too fussed about having a fancy set-up so I just bought 200 of these (3.5 x 4.5) and managed to get every expansion thus far comfortably into one Dominion box. I have it in absolutely no order whatsoever which won't be to many peoples tastes, it's literally just piled in, but 95% of my games are with a random set of 10 anyway so it doesn't bother me. I have things like victory cards, treasure cards, coins, randomisers, boards etc in one of the mini-expansion boxes. None of this will help you shrink the base game down though :p but soon you will have expansions and a Dominion sized box at minimum will be necessary.

Keasar

Brothers! WSIG Claustrophobia, Mage Knight, Twilight Struggle, Dreadfleet, or Civ?

Twilight Struggle would be my immediate pick. Unless you have several more friends, then I have heard Mage Knight is really good.

Never played Claustrophobia or Dreadfleet. Mage Knight is really good but hardcore. You have to have people who would be into the theme and willing to learn a hard game. Good news it can be played solitare so if you can't find other players you can play it yourself. Twilight Struggle is amazing. One of my favorites and would be my pick if it weren't for Civ on your list, I love Civ. The tech pyramid is fun to play around with and test different combinations. The resource gathering is streamlined and easy to get a handle on. The game can be played in roughly three hours with experienced players, so you can get a big sprawling Civ game that doesn't take all day to finish. The only knock I have against it is the combat is a bit wonky and is feels flat.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

For a two player game Twilight Struggle is great card driven coldwar game. really well done and fun game.

You know, now that I think about it I haven't heard any reviews aboit Dreadfleet at all. That was my first reaction for a purchase, but only because I know it was a limited run and it is pretty rare now.

fenners

You know, now that I think about it I haven't heard any reviews aboit Dreadfleet at all. That was my first reaction for a purchase, but only because I know it was a limited run and it is pretty rare now.

It's a limited run, but it went /down/ in price instead of up like Space Hulk. Not sure of the investment value of it... And it doesn't look that good a game.

I don't think you'll dislike any of the other choices. Personally, I love Claustrophobia as a quick dungeon crawler, adore Twilight Struggle as a big meaty two player battle of strategy.

Musan

If you're thinking about Agricola, I would would look at Ora et Labora, has some more interesting mechanics and player interplay.

You guys the "I got you a present" tactic totally worked. I don't think I'll be able to pull it again soon without it being seen as the obvious ploy that it is, but I totally evaded punishment.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You guys the "I got you a present" tactic totally worked. I don't think I'll be able to pull it again soon without it being seen as the obvious ploy that it is, but I totally evaded punishment.

You gave your SO a boardgame as a gift to force her/him to play, which they usually hate? Been there. -brofist-

Unfortunately, that really only works once :(

Most were displeased with dread fleet because its not a board game. Its a fairly hefty naval war game for two people and boardgamers were disappointed. Think some are going to have same reaction to sedition wars

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Claustrophobia is pretty awesome -- great miniatures too. A nice 2P vs. dungeon-crawl that you can teach in about 15m and get right to it. TS is an all-time classic of course. REALLY different games in case you didn't gather that already. :D

Claustrophobia is great, essentially Space Hulk but you won't get gouged on prices. Fast, deadly, tactical and a total laugh.

Dreadfleet is a miniature game not a board game so you have to put all the pieces together. I love it, great theme, a lot of dramatic moments and it's fun trying to out maneuver opponents and make daring moves. However it needs a LOT (as in a table at least 6 foot if not more) of room to play. It's easy to play in teams but works best with 2. I can't paint for shit and this is one game I wish I could because I want to pimp it.

Switters

Thanks for all the recommends! I didn't really care for Space Hulk, so that's a mark against Claustrophobia. While the game play and mechanics look great, the theme for Twilight Struggle doesn't do much for me.
But, I'm getting a deal on Dread Fleet because it hasn't been selling and the store has 6 copies, so maybe I should take advantage of that... I also paint pretty well...

I'll probably get Twilight. Power Grid is an amazing game that I bought just because of it's place on BGG, hopefully Twilight turns out the same.

Oh and like all Games Workshop games it is swingy as fuck. Fate cards change the wind every turn and introduce random spells and events that help and hinder each side as and when the game chooses. And so many dice. For me that's cool, I love over the top drama in my games, but if you don't like being knocked out a game because a spell backfired and sunk your ship it's not the game for you.* However if you love the idea of making pirate hats out of rum, blasting the Pirates Of The Carribean soundtrack at full volume and swigging rum as you play then SET SAIL FOR DREADFLEET ME HEARTY

*Protip: This happened to me.

You gave your SO a boardgame as a gift to force her/him to play, which they usually hate? Been there. -brofist-

Unfortunately, that really only works once :(

Well, she loves playing board games, she just thinks I buy too many. But I was able to use the fact that Eclipse apparently shares a lot in common with Through the Ages in terms of the economy, and that's her favorite game, to convince her that it totally ISN'T a bowling ball named "Homer"

Edit: Didn't notice the new page, so adding a quote so it's clear what the hell I'm talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom