• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've never had fun with werewolf because max we have gotten was 8. It's a game that shines with a large group and especially if you can play some of the unique scenarios and half multiple wolves. Resistance has always worked out better for the less than 10 players groups.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'd love to play some Yucata games, i just know hardly any of them :p but I've aleays wanted to try!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
With Risk Legacy, can you still play the game after you finish the the campaign? Also how does the campaign work if you go from say 4 to 5 players in the middle if that is even possible?

With Risk Legacy, can you still play the game after you finish the the campaign? Also how does the campaign work if you go from say 4 to 5 players in the middle if that is even possible?
Sure you can. The campaign is more or less your group creating a custom game of Risk. The problem with that is the main draw of the game, for me at least, is the customization. Take that away and you just have a unique version of Risk. As far as player count goes, it doesn't affect anything to go from 4 to 5 and back again. Our group has players drop in and out of the campaign all the time and it still plays fine.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey guys, so what's going on here.

I've been stuck in kickstarter land for the last two weeks.

I've been playing a lot of Takenoko recently, and a little bit of Great Fire of London. Trying not to burn myself out on it the way I did with Tammany Hall.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sure you can. The campaign is more or less your group creating a custom game of Risk. The problem with that is the main draw of the game, for me at least, is the customization. Take that away and you just have a unique version of Risk. As far as player count goes, it doesn't affect anything to go from 4 to 5 and back again. Our group has players drop in and out of the campaign all the time and it still plays fine.

Cool, thanks.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

How long (total) would you say it takes to play through the complete campaign? I was thinking of buying it and trying to get a crew together to blow through the whole thing.

I'd love to play some Yucata games, i just know hardly any of them :p but I've aleays wanted to try!
Give it a go.

If you register post yr username and I'm sure some games will get started.
You'd probably like a Few Acres of Snow.(war! Cards! Redcoats!) and thunderstone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Checked out Eclipse on BGG. Looks awesome. I might have to pick it up sometime soon. A few of buddies love new games and have the patience to learn them, some others struggle though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wasn't sure whether to put this in the ios thread, but that seems more online focused, so i'll try here first.

Going on holiday in a few weeks, and want to take some boardgames with us. I have a bunch of real ones, and some ipad ones. Looking for advice on which ipad ones are good enough to replace the real ones for playing multiplayer around a table. Especially if it saves a lot of space/weight for luggage.

Good

- Forbidden Island: I think this would be fine, as you don't need to keep your cards secret from the other players, so no 'pass and play' issues, plus its coop. The real game is pretty quick to set up and fairly compact though.

- Hey thats my fish: Competitive multiplayer but again no secret pieces needed, you just take your turn, so should be fine.

- Carcassone: you take a tile and work out what to do with it, so fits ipad well. Only downside I can think of is if the map gets big, sometimes its nice to stretch the real one out on a table.

bad

- Labyrinth: You need to keep your 'target' cards secret so not ideal. And I like the physicality of moving the board around.

- Ticket to Ride: I have the ipad and pocket versions, and the Nordic real version (as usually its only me and my two kids playing). Again here, you need to keep your destinations secret and what cards you have. Tricky on the ipad. Does ipad even have pass and play?

any others suitable for a young family (8 & 10 plus parents).

I'm thinking to take Nab it! which is fun and compact, and then have Forbidden Island and HTMF on ipad. Just undecided about which physical games to take from Carcassone, Labyrinth and TTR:Nordic.

- Ticket to Ride: I have the ipad and pocket versions, and the Nordic real version (as usually its only me and my two kids playing). Again here, you need to keep your destinations secret and what cards you have. Tricky on the ipad. Does ipad even have pass and play?

yes it does, I exclusively do pass and play with my wife and 3 bots.

- Carcassone: you take a tile and work out what to do with it, so fits ipad well. Only downside I can think of is if the map gets big, sometimes its nice to stretch the real one out on a table.

would have been my first suggestion

Another good iPad version of an excellent game is ingenious every player does strictly speaking have tiles to be kept secret from the rest, but it's not a must IMHO, especially if you are playing in a friendly famiily atmosphere.
It's a great strategic game, and I would say 8 is old enough

cozo

409599_457665157591787_168017570_n.jpg

LFF

Neo Member
Anybody have any opinions about Neuroshima Hex! ?
I've been thinking about adding it to my collection. The whole unit placement and area control mechanics kinda remind me of Eye of Judgement for the PS3, which I quite enjoyed. If it helps, I mostly play two player games, occasionally three player.

tm24

Anybody have any opinions about Neuroshima Hex! ?
I've been thinking about adding it to my collection. The whole unit placement and area control mechanics kinda remind me of Eye of Judgement for the PS3, which I quite enjoyed. If it helps, I mostly play two player games, occasionally three player.

Coming from only playing the Ios version, i enjoy the game

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Can anyone tell me anything about Blood Bowl: Team Manager. Me and my bro need more card games in our lives

One of my favorite games of last year tbh. Just played it yesterday actually. There are 5 weeks of play where you and 1-3 others compete at matchup cards, which give various prizes (team upgrades, star players, VPs). Players have tons of cool abilities like tackling (lots of tense dice-rolling :D), cheating (could help you, could hurt you, no one knows until matchups are resolved), and more. Mechanically in terms of playing cards, it's like Battle Line where you choose a side to play to and you have one opponent on each matchup. It also has elements of deckbuilding (acquiring star players to replace your crappier starting players) and ameritrash (good art, fun dice-chucking, fun abilities). Base game comes with six themed teams each with varying strengths (cheating, deck cycling, tackling, defense, etc.).

tl;dr it's awesome and i'm dying for the inevitable expansions more so than for any other game

tm24

Sounds fun. Just one more question, how much room does a game take up? I really hate not having a bunch of room in the house

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's all card-based, so as much as you want more or less. You do need a little room to put cards at the matchup but it's not a huge board or anything and you can stack cards if you need to probably (as long as corner is showing). Other thing is it is pretty light, but does take a while. I would say 90-120 for your first few plays with 3-4.

JesseZao

One of my favorite games of last year tbh. Just played it yesterday actually. There are 5 weeks of play where you and 1-3 others compete at matchup cards, which give various prizes (team upgrades, star players, VPs). Players have tons of cool abilities like tackling (lots of tense dice-rolling :D), cheating (could help you, could hurt you, no one knows until matchups are resolved), and more. Mechanically in terms of playing cards, it's like Battle Line where you choose a side to play to and you have one opponent on each matchup. It also has elements of deckbuilding (acquiring star players to replace your crappier starting players) and ameritrash (good art, fun dice-chucking, fun abilities). Base game comes with six themed teams each with varying strengths (cheating, deck cycling, tackling, defense, etc.).

tl;dr it's awesome and i'm dying for the inevitable expansions more so than for any other game

I concur. So far it's had broad appeal with various groups.

Erudite

Can anyone tell me anything about Blood Bowl: Team Manager. Me and my bro need more card games in our lives
Made a blind purchase and played it for the first time a couple days ago and I came away really enjoying it as something of a fresh experience.

Both my friends and I have no prior experience with Blood Bowl, so it took a little while for things to get going. But once we got accustomed to the rules, the game goes at a brisk pace in terms of the downtime between each of your turns. Everyone was engaged for the 1.5-2 hours we played it for.

In terms of how it plays, watching a couple reviews/overviews will give you a pretty good idea of how it works.

Sounds fun. Just one more question, how much room does a game take up? I really hate not having a bunch of room in the house
You should be able to play it on a coffee table with no problem. BB:TM is a really good game and you will find a lot of fans of it here.

EDIT: I should also add, the game takes longer than you would think. Even with experienced games it will usually take use 90 minutes to finish a three player game. As for player count, I think the sweet spot for this game is three players. Four works but it can drag with slow or inexperienced players.

tm24

It's all card-based, so as much as you want more or less. You do need a little room to put cards at the matchup but it's not a huge board or anything and you can stack cards if you need to probably (as long as corner is showing). Other thing is it is pretty light, but does take a while. I would say 90-120 for your first few plays with 3-4.

Cool, adding it to the list. Card games are slowly devouring my closet

Siyou

So I played Castle Ravenloft the other night. In my youth I had played a lot of Heroquest. I must say I enjoyed Heroquest a lot more because of the DM required to play it. Are there any other board games that are dungeon crawlers or should I eventually make my own?

Sadly I don't like D&D, sorry about that.

So I played Castle Ravenloft the other night. In my youth I had played a lot of Heroquest. I must say I enjoyed Heroquest a lot more because of the DM required to play it. Are there any other board games that are dungeon crawlers or should I eventually make my own?

Descent 2nd Edition is supposed to hit shelves soon. From my understanding it's kind of sort of like Heroquest with the players all playing against the overlord.

If you want something like Heroquest then Descent is more of what you want

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Claustrophobia has lots of nice painted minis and pretty art too. Depends what you're into and can afford but most people into that genre generally dig quality aesthetics, which you definitely get with that game. I have a set-up game waiting for me at home right now actually. :D

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Anyone with Ravenloft should really try NinjaDorg's Campaign rules if you found the game too basic as published.

http://ratdorg.blogspot.ca/p/index.html

Basically he adds the ability level up all your characters to 5th level, which lets you use the same characters between adventures in mini campaigns.

It can uses monster chits from Wrath of Ashardalon with Ravenloft to create a draw cup for monsters that scales with the level of party and uses the treasure tokens to draw for rewards of gold after defeating foes which let you buy treasure cards between adventures.

They've created 2 decks of cards one deck is for use inbetween adventures and the other has about 7 different cards for each unique tile which you draw when you turn over and play a unique tile..which replaces the encounter for that tile.

I've added my own house rules to this campaign addon and find the game is way more enjoyable.

1. For leveling I use this instead.

Level 2 - 5 xp
Level 3 - 10 xp
Level 4 - 20 xp
Level 5 - 30 xp
These values all require a 20 roll on an attack or disarm. however just add 2xp per point below 20 to the user's roll in all cases to allow leveling with less then a 20.
So a roll of 17 would add 6xp to any levels requirement to qualify.
This retains the benefit for a high roll, while including a cost progression without removing the rolling from the leveling completely.

I've been using a Surprise Check Vs. Roll at the end of the Exploration Phase for a few adventures and think it works pretty well and isn't to complicated.

When you place a mob you roll both dice(red for mob black for player) and if the red is higher, the monster activates this villain phase..if the black value is higher, its moved to the player on the lefts play area ..basically delaying activation till the next players turn. When determining who's is higher we were trying to add the remaining unused movement points left on the character to the roll and add 2x the monsters exp value to the red roll to reward the cautious player and give more powerful creatures a better roll.

Thematically, I really like the idea of when you layout the tile and place the mobs on it you have a chance of sneaking or hiding, of startling or simply scaring them, so that the Creature(s) you find there might be surprised or oblivious of you and not be able to react initially with a free attack.

Mechanically the place a tile..get hit..place a tile , get hit can become predictable and having a Vs roll in there, to just give you a chance of not getting attacked every-time, seems fun to me and seems like it will add some more tactical options to the game.

I realize this change has make the game easier, since alot of hits you normally take before reacting won't happen.
Monster Toughness(use CR monster tokens)
1-2 monster for Adventures starting with Hero's level 1 max
1-3 monsters for Adventures starting with Hero's Level 2 Max
2-3 monsters for Adventures Starting with Hero's level 3 Max
2-4 Monsters for Adventures Starting with Hero's level 4 Max(include Level 5 Villains tokens)
3-4 Monsters for Adventures Starting with Hero's Level 5 Max.(include Level 5 and 6 Villains tokens)

How many people you need in descent to make it decent? 3 enough?

Don't know about 2nd edition but in first any number is fine, but with smaller numbers the non-overlord players need to run multiple heroes, it worked best with a party of 4 for various reasons. I think 2nd edition has changed a lot of this though. It's not really the same game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom