• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people you need in descent to make it decent? 3 enough?

Descent v2 is what I'm waiting for (hopefully I'll get mine the week of the 23rd...SQUEEEEE) and I'm a big fan of v1. I played v1 with 2 quite a bit, the second player controlling a party of heroes rather than just one.

What I really, really like about v2 is that the Overload isn't just there to fight the players, he has goals too. Goals on both sides feed into the next encounter when playing in campaign. It's really cool.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
lately when I get to play it's been three, but yeah I am looking into claustrophia and maybe summoner wars? how's that master set?

I had the original game of SW and sold it, but now the iPad version has me back into it and I've ordered Master Set. Haven't gotten it in yet as it's in an order with 7 Wonder Cities, which isn't out yet. Seems like a good deal and it has pretty universally great reviews. Claustrophobia is a very traditional (though fairly simplistic) dungeon-crawl game with several scenarios (one person plays monsters, one plays heroes -- heroes are basically trying to survive and monsters are just relentless) and SW is a fairly basic tile-based strategy game. Both are pretty great though. Basically excellent ameritrashy games if you don't quite have the time or right crowd for "real" complex/time-consuming ameritrash (which I usually don't :p)

sneaky77

I had the original game of SW and sold it, but now the iPad version has me back into it and I've ordered Master Set. Haven't gotten it in yet as it's in an order with 7 Wonder Cities, which isn't out yet. Seems like a good deal and it has pretty universally great reviews. Claustrophobia is a very traditional (though fairly simplistic) dungeon-crawl game with several scenarios (one person plays monsters, one plays heroes -- heroes are basically trying to survive and monsters are just relentless) and SW is a fairly basic tile-based strategy game. Both are pretty great though. Basically excellent ameritrashy games if you don't quite have the time or right crowd for "real" complex/time-consuming ameritrash (which I usually don't :p)

yeah I saw the review for Claustrophobia looked cooled, I been following the Descent Second Ed. anyone has any idea of that? Looks very cool, but I am not sure if it would be too daunting to explain.. I am working my way up with my friends, next on the list is trying Waterdeep eventually lol.

Edit: How's Mansion of Madness, seems Arkham horror style but a little nore streamlined

fenners

yeah I saw the review for Claustrophobia looked cooled

It's a great game. 2 players, sure, but it's easy to learn & a great experience. Streamlines just the right things to make it fast to play.

Edit: How's Mansion of Madness, seems Arkham horror style but a little nore streamlined

Opposite in some ways - /more/ setup time IMO. It's a different experience to Arkham.

sneaky77

any opinions from anyone here on kingsburg? I am trying to find a good video of it but struggling lol.
Also summoner wars master set is it easy to play 3 players?

And one final thing, can someone clarify how do the terror effects work on elder sign? we played a couple of weeks ago and it was a little confusing as a first time playing the game, thanks.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
any opinions from anyone here on kingsburg? I am trying to find a good video of it but struggling lol.
Also summoner wars master set is it easy to play 3 players?

And one final thing, can someone clarify how do the terror effects work on elder sign? we played a couple of weeks ago and it was a little confusing as a first time playing the game, thanks.

Summoner Wars is impossible to play for 3 players. The Master Set comes with only 1 board which only allows for 2 players, a second set would increase that to 4players. 3p is not even an option, even with 2 boards, AFAIK... Since it's strictly 2 sided, like Chess.

sneaky77

Summoner Wars is impossible to play for 3 players. The Master Set comes with only 1 board which only allows for 2 players, a second set would increase that to 4players. 3p is not even an option, even with 2 boards, AFAIK... Since it's strictly 2 sided, like Chess.

oh ok.. the game stats on the master set says 2-4 players, I guess that threw me off.

tm24

No, the rulebook says one player would control 2 armies.

sneaky77

so basically Ipad is the only way to go for gaming on tablets uh? most of those games not making their way to android tablets for now?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

sneaky77

Yea I have elder sign. Condado and androminion. It just seems the ipad ones are more elaborate and better designed. I don't have a tablet yet so is something to keep in mind for me.

Quick questions rule. With 5 - 6 players who yields if both Tokyo monsters want to yield?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yea I have elder sign. Condado and androminion. It just seems the ipad ones are more elaborate and better designed. I don't have a tablet yet so is something to keep in mind for me.
Yep that is almost purely Playdek. fwiw:

David: Do you plan to release your games on for Android and/or other smartphones? If so, is there an ETA for that?

Yes, we do plan on migrating our product slate to Android and other platforms that make sense. Our goal is to eventually have all platform releases to be within the same window for a given product. We keep our technology platform independent, and are evaluating migration solutions for other platforms. We don’t have any solid dates for this yet, but we’ll keep you informed as we do.

Quick questions rule. With 5 - 6 players who yields if both Tokyo monsters want to yield?
iirc you can both yield on a hit, and the person moving in just takes Tokyo (which is always occupied). Then it's like start of game, next person to lock in a hit roll hits Tokyo and moves into Tokyo Bay or Tokyo City if City monster flees. Important tip is that when you get down to 4p or less, Tokyo City closes. I've forgotten this before.

cozo

started playing risk legacy. it. is. awesome.

also got my invite to the dominion online beta. love the presentation, edit: redacted due to Ts&Cs

So, this is probably one of the dumbest things I've done with a board game, ever. So I have everything from Descent except Sea of Blood. With my second edition shipping soon, I decided that I would try to sell my copy of Road to Legend that I never used but had punched. Found a buyer today and then I remembered something.

Years ago, I decided that I wanted to put all of my Descent stuff into a single, giant storage container for easy transport. Now I, like many other board gamers, meticulously sort and store pieces, and this was no exception...except, well...I mixed the pieces from every expansion together. So all the wounds tokens for everything I had were in a single bag, the room tiles in another, etc. I just spent two hours with cardboard sheet images from BGG recreating them in my game room. That was exciting.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time though.

Game Salute is a real shady group. I just wouldn't give them any of my money as from what some of us have been told about their going ons, they sound like scum. The quality of their games is pretty much unknown since most of their stuff hasn't gotten to anyones hands but they are tossing game one after another onto kickstarter. That seal of quality they slap on their games is just some made up label they put on all their products as if it means something. They created their own award to pimp their own products. How good their games are is anyones guess, they seem to be just on a binge of trying to aquire and put out as many games as they can all using Kickstarter, the games don't actually belong to them, they just are publishing whatever they can get ahold of. Are the games good? Who knows since they are all from different sources.

There recent antics also with that Penny Arcade game was pretty sickening too, using Kickstarter to get money for a game that was already funded and going forward.... yea screw them.

Game Salute is a real shady group. I just wouldn't give them any of my money as from what some of us have been told about their going ons, they sound like scum. The quality of their games is pretty much unknown since most of their stuff hasn't gotten to anyones hands but they are tossing game one after another onto kickstarter. That seal of quality they slap on their games is just some made up label they put on all their products as if it means something. They created their own award to pimp their own products. How good their games are is anyones guess, they seem to be just on a binge of trying to aquire and put out as many games as they can all using Kickstarter, the games don't actually belong to them, they just are publishing whatever they can get ahold of. Are the games good? Who knows since they are all from different sources.

There recent antics also with that Penny Arcade game was pretty sickening too, using Kickstarter to get money for a game that was already funded and going forward.... yea screw them.

Yeah, but they are just publishing it. As you say, it was developed way before they were around. I'm OK with an unknown quantity when its just a $25 investment, especially since there is more than enough info about the game out there to get a handle on how it plays.

tm24

Oh, those guys. Yeah, good thing i forgot after me asking. I dont feel bad. I'll just out and buy some other dbg. Theres plenty to go around

So got to finally pull out FFG's new version of Fortress America. Essentially same game as the old classic MB version, just updated components and little changes here and there to cards. As usual FFG components are awesome and the figs are really fantastic for this, the sculp detail on such tiny figs are very impressive and you get a ton with the game. If you like Risk like strategy games, it's worth a look. The combat system has a nice sense of logic behind it and not just pure numbers like something like Risk. If you have played Memoir or any of the Command and Colors game, you will see similarities in resolution but slightly less random.

The one downside of the game is that using the basic rules for it, it is essentially a 2 player game since it's a 3 vs 1 player game. The turn order style makes players have lots of downtime when doing a four player, so it kinda feels better as a 2 player since one person just plays all the invader forces. There are variants with extra components included that make the game more of a free for all and more involved for all players in the game. Game is also a very long playing one so if you want a quickie game, Fortress America is totally not for you. Game has lot of tactical options and depth though with a great flavor to it. It's not going to be for everyone though but if you like long games of Risk, you will probably like this game.

Yeah, but they are just publishing it. As you say, it was developed way before they were around. I'm OK with an unknown quantity when its just a $25 investment, especially since there is more than enough info about the game out there to get a handle on how it plays.

It's not really about the game, it's about me not wanting to give Game Salute any money.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Is Game Salute really any more to blame for this than Penny Arcade is?

fenners

Full Disclosure: I know these guys (they designed Tammany Hall) and I played a demo with them at Origins..

but this game is very good, and really needs a boost on kickstarter. They launched before the color artwork was in and haven't faired so well.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1270518586/sheepdogs-of-pendleton-hill?ref=card

Hey Stooge - got my kickstarter survey email this morning & I can't complete it. It requires me to pick an option for each question, including the one for which upgrades I want... I don't want any upgrades & it won't let me leave it blank...

Would you like to add any of the following to your order (we will bill you after the survey)
$5 dollars for an extra decal set
$7 dollars for an extra "boss meeple" set
$10 dollars for an extra "Street Gang" Meeple Set
$20 dollars for an extra "upgrade kit"

There's no "no upgrade" option.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Yeah, I borked that survey pretty badly.

I'm working with kickstarter now to fix it. Luckily I sent that to the smallest group of backers so it's not as bad as it could have been.

The rules for Zombicide were finally posted.
http://guillotinegames.com/en/gamestuff

Seems fairly straight forward except for ranged attacks, which seems to have a weird rule. It seems that there is an order to who takes damage and if a survivor shares a zone (space) with the zombies the survivor takes the first hits. This effectively will kill the survivor before a zombie gets hit.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Did they really not post rules until now? If so I'm shocked so many people Kickstarted a game they couldn't even read the rules of.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Did they really not post rules until now? If so I'm shocked so many people Kickstarted a game they couldn't even read the rules of.

Minis!

Actually, I think that's about right. I think a lot of their backers jumped on it so they could use the mini's in various miniature gaming type things.

I saw a lot of "even if it sucks, I get minis to use in X" posted on BGG.

From what I gathered from talking to one of my friends who is into such things, the kickstarter was a pretty good deal for minis. As was Sedition Wars... and given the background of the people running them, they will probably be decent dice chucking games at the worst.

Sedition Wars has well known Industry vets in the miniature realm behind it. Again Sedition Wars is not really a board game, it's a miniature wargame packed in a board game package. The people behind it have worked before in the mini field with giants such as Warmachine and Rackham games of yore. Also how the game plays was posted on the kickstarter and any questions were answered also on the forum. The nice high quality miniatures are definitely a draw especially as both Sedition Wars and Zombicide were advertised heavily on miniature gaming sites. As I've said before and warned, I expect alot of people not happy with SW because they are expecting something more board game like but they will be surprised when they see that giant rule book and all the finicky combat rules.

Zombicide just put out a cool looking product and really a large portion of board games likely sell just because they look cool to people. I've bought a ton of board games just based off seeing it on the shelf. Zombies are hot, amazing figs, good price per fig, yea I can see it. Like Sedition Wars your paying like less than 2 bucks a fig for 28mm high quality sculpts using decent plastic... hell yea! Sedition Wars was even better value for what you get. I expect quality out of SW as McVey knows whats ups... Zombicide is a gamble but I've done worse.... WoW board game retail priced when it came out..... ick

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm sure you'd like it. Pretty much everyone here who has played it does. It's an awesome game.

Is it easy to teach/learn for non-gamers? Pretty much my main criterium for buying good boardgames these days since noone in my group of friends is as much of a boardgamer as me :(

EDIT: I also bought the PC version of Blood Bowl (not team manager) during the steam sale, and.. GODDAMN that game is hard. Not sure if it's the game or my stupidity, but I'm really struggling with it so far lol.

So, what's everyone's favorite factions to use in Summoner Wars? I've had a chance to try all of the ones available in the iOS version, but have been hesitant to try the reinforcement cards and mercenaries. I am nervous with deck customization, too many flashbacks to MtG :(

So far I am digging the Cloaks, Tundra Orcs, and possibly Fallen Kingdom. Need to play with FK a little more. The Cloaks can be cheap. I abuse the ability of 1 of the common units, if this unit successfully hits but does not kill an enemy, you can teleport other cards of the same unit adjacent to that enemy. Give this to your summoner as well and it can result in the enemy getting surrounded out of nowhere.

Buy faction decks, don't buy reinforcements. Keeps the game simple and makes it easy to get players into the game. When you add customization to the game, you immediatly put up a wall for any new players, so unless you have a group that all buy decks and customize them, stay away from it. Faction decks are stand alone and need to editing, each player just randomly takes one or chooses what deck to play and you go at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom