• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
The kickstarter ended months ago

I know. I'm stating for the record that's what turned me off to their product entirely.

Knowing before a game is releases I'm getting an incomplete product unless I donate hundreds sometimes just makes me not donate at all. It just comes across shitty to me.

I know. I'm stating for the record that's what turned me off to their product entirely.

Knowing before a game is releases I'm getting an incomplete product unless I donate hundreds sometimes just makes me not donate at all. It just comes across shitty to me.

Found their kickstarter quite clear personally. Each pledge level listed the names of what you got with the page showing each named category and it's contents.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Found their kickstarter quite clear personally. Each pledge level listed the names of what you got with the page showing each named category and it's contents.

It wound up getting complicated with stretch rewards later on. There is a spreadsheet at the bottom of the page now to make it "clear"

Obviously I run kickstarters now, but I prefer just having stretch goals and one pledge level for the game + everything.

If for no other reason than the logistical nightmare of shipping all of that junk to different groups of people..

Edit: Nevermind I was think of Zpocalypse.

Guys I am sorry I have been posting a ton in here since I am buying games right now and I love hearing from you guys.

My next game I think I have narrowed down to Lord of the rings card game or Space Hulk: Death angel

Mage knight looks cool too

I really want a game that I can play by myself and it seems like people keep bringing up these two.

I am kind of leaning for Space Hulk since its pretty compact.

Xater

So,

Straw Poll time.

How well do y'all think Express 01 would do in the United States? Would you be interested in a card based 18xx game for 40-45 dolalrs that plays in 60 minutes?

Disclaimer: this has nothing to do with anything... it's strictly for my own curiosity.

BTW because of the funding being this successful Pegasus picked the game up, so it will also get a normal release. Oh and everyone who funds the project now also gets the US and Pegasus throws in a score tracker.

If anyone of yu still wants in on this there are 8 days left: https://www.spiele-offensive.de/index.php?cmd=spieleschmiede&cfid=1

Petrie

Banned

I guess it's more the nickel and diming before your product even exists on kickstarter that agitates me. Luckily there's enough games releasing regular stuff where I can "get it all" without worry and keep my OCD happy.

The $65 level gets you the entire thing. (Base game, the two expansions, and the new figures)

If people were wondering the expansions are just new maps. Each board is double sided to give you two different maps in one board. The second story expansion seems interesting in that they add a two story building into the mix.

Cheaper to do the $25 pledge for expansions and buy the base game online elsewhere

Guys I am sorry I have been posting a ton in here since I am buying games right now and I love hearing from you guys.

My next game I think I have narrowed down to Lord of the rings card game or Space Hulk: Death angel

Mage knight looks cool too

I really want a game that I can play by myself and it seems like people keep bringing up these two.

I am kind of leaning for Space Hulk since its pretty compact.

Space Hulk is fine but I don't think it holds a candle to either Lord of the Rings or Mage Knight gameplay wise...I'm sure there will be other who differ. You will blow through scenarios in Lord of the Rings though. I'm starting to not like LCGs with monthly expansions as much anymore.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Netrunner minisite and rules are up. Getting really excited to play this, especially since it seems to stay true to the original in terms of playing well out of the box (especially given the numerous factions that come in the starter box).

owlbeak

A friend and I just split Arkham Horror. Anything I should know?

Haven't really played a lot of these types of board games. I've played Elder Sign and Heroscape and such.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
A friend and I just split Arkham Horror. Anything I should know?

Haven't really played a lot of these types of board games. I've played Elder Sign and Heroscape and such.

You should read the rules & FAQ carefully, then watch this video series.

Here are some good threads to read once you've done that:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/605472/a-newbie-faq-21-things-a-new-ah-player-might-wan
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/70926/rules-clarifications-you-want-to-know-before-going
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/289081/what-are-some-common-newbie-mistakes

(Actually going to read those again myself since I always forget stuff.)

Interested to see how the shooting into melee rules play out. I'm not enthusiastic with how they sound, but will play them as written first.

Shouldn't be bad, it's obvious a deterrent to not make shooting overpowered as it often turns out in games compared to melee.

Yes. Everytime the shipping puts it over the 40 dollar mark

Ah see now that all the places that had the game real cheap are out of stock. Used to be able to get it for alot cheaper before.

Shouldn't be bad, it's obvious a deterrent to not make shooting overpowered as it often turns out in games compared to melee.

Deterrent, sure. But there are, at least in my mind, a number of better options for making it one. It just seems so weird that you have magic homing bullets that always hit your friends first.

Deterrent, sure. But there are, at least in my mind, a number of better options for making it one. It just seems so weird that you have magic homing bullets that always hit your friends first.

Well same happens with other similar games where you bullet always hits only the zombies or bad guys with no risk to your allies. They obviously are trying to force players to work more as a team instead of having a silly tank like situation with one player basically holding back bad guys, and guns have to be used tactically. I think it's interesting, many have said they don't like that one little rule and would do something like adding an extra dice roll to see who gets hit... meh. Game balance likely favors the rule as is also. Most also don't really know how often such a situation would occur even though.

Well same happens with other similar games where you bullet always hits only the zombies or bad guys with no risk to your allies. They obviously are trying to force players to work more as a team instead of having a silly tank like situation with one player basically holding back bad guys, and guns have to be used tactically. I think it's interesting, many have said they don't like that one little rule and would do something like adding an extra dice roll to see who gets hit... meh. Game balance likely favors the rule as is also. Most also don't really know how often such a situation would occur even though.

Which is why I'm going to play as written before house ruling anything.

It does it stop it from seeming weird in a game that is meant to be very thematic, and that's really my issue. It doesn't serve the game in a thematic sense. I'm totally OK with my friend getting hit, that isn't the problem I have with it. I just personally don't feel the game saying you're always going to hit your friend first, as many times as it takes to kill them, is the best way to go about it, at least without having played it. Which is why I'm not saying it sucks as a rule yet.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I just ended a game Twilight Struggle as the US... by my Five Year Plan action causing the random discard and activation of the USSR player's Duck and Cover, which degraded the DEFCON level to nuclear war, which since it was actually my turn, caused me to lose the game.

This game is awesome.

Yeah, this is why you don't play cards that cause randomly triggered events if the defcon is at the edge. There are 3 or 4 cards that do this.

Just finished my first game of space hulk! I got my ass kicked but had a lot of fun!

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

My pleasure! Yeah, it's not an easy game. However, when you do win it is very satisfying. Much like the board game, winning often comes down to 1 last marine and a dice roll that will win or lose the game. Games are always pretty engaging because the action never slows down and your tactics constantly shift. Once you have the mechanics of the game down, you can play a game pretty quickly which is nice.

The expansions include more missions, marines, and enemies. I thought the enemies pack made the game even harder!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Finally got around to playing a couple games of BloodBowl Team Manager..really fun game love how interactive it is.

Overall I'm finding the cardgames alot of fun(probably something to do with being able to bring them camping)

So far card games I have are:

Dominion
Race for the Galaxy
7 Wonders
Bloodbowl Manager

I'd like to add some more that are unique game play styles vs variants of the same game design.(don't need san juan since its close to same as RFTG for example)

We really like the fact that these games don't require you to build decks prior to play.. and instead use a drafting mechanic..

I don't want CCG, tho the LCG look interesting since the core sets seem to come with enough to be a complete game.

Any real standout card games recommendations?

Xater

Finally got around to playing a couple games of BloodBowl Team Manager..really fun game love how interactive it is.

Overall I'm finding the cardgames alot of fun(probably something to do with being able to bring them camping)

Dominion
Race for the Galaxy
7 Wonders
Bloodbowl Manager

I'd like to add some more that are unique game play styles vs variants of the same game design.(don't need san juan since its close to same as RFTG for example)

We really like the fact that these games don't require you to build decks prior to play.. and instead use a drafting mechanic..

I don't want CCG, tho the LCG look interesting since the core sets seem to come with enough to be a complete game.

Citadels is really fun and allows for a lot of players. Also super easy to learn.

Dominion
Race for the Galaxy
7 Wonders
Bloodbowl Manager

For two players, I really like Hemloch. It's an area control game in card game form. Neat concept, beautiful art, and a fun game.

One of my firend's and family's favorite filler card game is Jericho. It's a sort of trick taking game where players build up walls of various colors and compete for a pot of cards which count as points at the end of the game. Simple game that can be explained, setup, and played in less than 20 minutes.

Guillotine is another favorite. Slightly grim theme, you are collecting the heads of nobles during the French Revolution, but the artwork is light enough to not bring everyone down. The game is played over three rounds and players have the option to play an action card which usually manipulates the line, then the player collects the head of the first noble in line. After the line is emptied the day (round) is done and another line forms to start the next day. Another easy one to play and transport.

Hosting our second game of Eclipse tonight - and it's going to be 5-player this time! I'm pretty pumped for this, although I worry my table will struggle to accommodate.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone here played The Manhattan Project? They have a KS up for the expansion that includes a reprint of the original. Art seems really cool, and I'm a huge fan of worker placement, but I also have a ton of WP games so it needs to be a solid entry to make it worth it.

So cool stuff summer sale is rotating in new products daily.... that's inconvenient. If I order I might find something new the next day? Going to be a pain for shipping, and if I wait for the next day I take risk of missing out on an item as it goes out of stock. Lame way to do a sale

Just made another order on CSI....Got Dungeon Fighter (I have a thing for dexterity games), Sewer Pirats, and Rolling Freight. Was going to pick up Dungeon Fighter and Rolling Freight at Gen Con, but with them being available now, I decided I'd rather get three games for what I'd pay for two at the con.

Petrie

Banned
So cool stuff summer sale is rotating in new products daily.... that's inconvenient. If I order I might find something new the next day? Going to be a pain for shipping, and if I wait for the next day I take risk of missing out on an item as it goes out of stock. Lame way to do a sale

So place a large order with an item that ships in 2013, then email them to add items as they hit the sale. At the end have them remove the extra 2013 stuff. Done.

Neverfade

Dominion
Race for the Galaxy
7 Wonders
Bloodbowl Manager

INNOVATION
INNOVATION
INNOVATION
INNOVATION
INNOVATION

Flynn

Anyone here played The Manhattan Project? They have a KS up for the expansion that includes a reprint of the original. Art seems really cool, and I'm a huge fan of worker placement, but I also have a ton of WP games so it needs to be a solid entry to make it worth it.

Manhattan Project is really, really solid. Even good. I have played two or three times and it have enjoyed it. There's a good engine to build and run and player interaction via fighters, bombers and spies (to use other people's actions) makes it feel less like solitaire than other worker placement games. I'd go for it.

Manhattan Project is really, really solid. Even good. I have played two or three times and it have enjoyed it. There's a good engine to build and run and player interaction via fighters, bombers and spies (to use other people's actions) makes it feel less like solitaire than other worker placement games. I'd go for it.
Agree with everything here. Really good game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Alright, sold.

INNOVATION
INNOVATION
INNOVATION
I knew I was forgetting something! Yep, if you are looking for a unique but deep card game, you can't do much better than Innovation. Just make sure you are at peace with CHAOS beforehand.

What am I missing with this game? I hate it. It's not even the randomness that bothers me it's just that I don't feel like I'm doing anything. The games I've been in also just sort of end. Completely unexciting for me.

My GF likes it, I've been kinda meh about it. Have had hard time getting folks into it too as they often feel like they have little control and it's too much randomness.

What am I missing with this game? I hate it. It's not even the randomness that bothers me it's just that I don't feel like I'm doing anything. The games I've been in also just sort of end. Completely unexciting for me.

If you're trying to make a long term game plan, you're doing it wrong.

Innovation is about "tactics" as opposed to "strategies". You will do well if you focus on small tactics using abilities as they come. Combos are super fun to do, but don't expect them to last because the cards are meant to be replaced.

If you're looking for a specific card in the game, you're bound to miss it because it is a single ton deck and each card has a possibility of being thrown in a score pile/becoming an achievement. Don't try to play Glory to Rome!

IMO, the "randomness" gives the game infinite replay-ability, much more so than Dominion or Kingdom Builder.

Deadstar

Just played 7 Wonders last night. I highly recommend it. Seems incredibly convaluted at first but it's actually very simple and quick to play. It's a game where you choose a random city and use resources to build buildings and military power or victory point markers. There are a ton of options to choose from. You start with a hand of cards and everyone picks ONE card to play face down. You reveal at the same time and then you pass the entire hand clockwise. You keep doing this for 6 turns. Once those cards are done you move on to Age II which is a different set of more powerful cards and eventually Age III.

There are many choices to be made per turn so it's really exciting.

If you're trying to make a long term game plan, you're doing it wrong.

Innovation is about "tactics" as opposed to "strategies". You will do well if you focus on small tactics using abilities as they come. Combos are super fun to do, but don't expect them to last because the cards are meant to be replaced.

If you're looking for a specific card in the game, you're bound to miss it because it is a single ton deck and each card has a possibility of being thrown in a score pile/becoming an achievement. Don't try to play Glory to Rome!

IMO, the "randomness" gives the game infinite replay-ability, much more so than Dominion or Kingdom Builder.

It's just odd as their is so much hatred of Randomness around here and the Eurocentric gamers. No long term strategy, randomn combo madness galore, using said randomness as a means of having replayability? Sounds like what everyone hates about Ameritrash yet it's so highly regarded.

I've had fun with the game, but I too kinda don't get the love for it. Got the expansion still to pull out one of these days which to me sounds like it adds a hint of long term strategy possibilities that I might enjoy more.

It's just odd as their is so much hatred of Randomness around here and the Eurocentric gamers. No long term strategy, randomn combo madness galore, using said randomness as a means of having replayability? Sounds like what everyone hates about Ameritrash yet it's so highly regarded.

I've had fun with the game, but I too kinda don't get the love for it. Got the expansion still to pull out one of these days which to me sounds like it adds a hint of long term strategy possibilities that I might enjoy more.

Well, the fact that it's a card game puts me in a different mindset because of the nature of card games... randomness is inherent. This game is comprised of 100% cards so it's not entirely surprising that it is random. I'm a big euro guy, but I'm not going to demand my dice be deterministic. I go in knowing that and that allows me to enjoy the game. It's definitely fun if you enjoy interaction

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Expansion adds way more randomness. Honestly too much at times even for me.

Jokes aside, the chaos in Innovation is overstated (except for 4p, which can be a bit wild, but not 2-3) and honestly everyone I've seen complain about it has played it 1-3 times or just never bothered to even try to learn the game right and went in with the mindset that it's "all luck," which couldn't be farther from the truth.

narcosis nailed it -- it's a game about tactics much more so than just picking a single strategy very early on like Dominion or RFTG. Really every hand is like a puzzle and I think the haters would be shocked at how many clever ways there are to be successful in the game. I've seen a decent amount of "well, X had way more icons than me so I just gave up; it was never close." Argh! It's not RFTG or whatever where you just build up an engine and coast the rest of the way. Hey let's talk about random, get a nice start hand in RFTG or 5 coppers in Dominion and you have the win button in your hands. But if a game gives you the ability to use clever tactics to overcome an early deficit OH NOES THE RANDOMS!

You are always in peril if your opponents are clever enough. That said, there are definitely goals that you can build toward -- like having a big infrastructure and just killing people on dogmas, or having an early scoring machine and ending the game early while others are trying to build themselves up, or conversely having a late scoring machine and focusing on getting to Age 11, but you will get eclipsed if you just rest on your laurels and don't make adjustments on the fly to what others are doing.

If anything, I would say Innovation is way underrated. :p Not to say that it's for everyone, I get the singleton setup can be difficult for some, as can adjusting to the playstyle. And yeah with 4 as I said above it can get fairly crazy.

Neverfade

I love the ever changing state of things. I don't think I've had the 'just ends' feeling and I certain feel like I'm doing something given the large amount of unique cards in the game. I love fighting back from a huge deficit and at least having a shot at winning. I love that no lead is ever certain because of that. I love the late game cards that let things get super nutty (wiping the board? don't mind if I do!) I love how despite how utterly barebones the artwork is, that most of the cards actually are thematic and perform something that relates to the item it represents. Ultimately, it gives me a real mental workout in a short time. I can play this as an opener and not feel like it was a throwaway game.

But to each their own.

what are you guys talking about when you say you made an order at Csi?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wcov88pq0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom