• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Today I bought Agricola with the first expansion. I only played the family game with my GF so far but we enjoyed it. I can already tell that I will like it more than Stoneage because of the lack of dice. That really is something that bother me with that game.

Played a 2 player game of Space Hulk:Death Angel last night, we won with our last marine! intense! my group of players is begging me to get Mansions of Madness!

guess that will be next up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have an Arkham question. Is it really necessary to shuffle the location deck everyone before you draw one?

Rules-wise, yes. Supposedly it was done so that someone couldn't camp out and be ultimately guaranteed some really good card (not even sure what this would be). But thematically if you're not even familiar with the cards I wouldn't see any issue with not shuffling.

Oh, in Thunderstone Advanced he is shuffled into the bottom 10 cards of the deck by default.

Hopefully the expansions fix her slight issue a bit.

Yea but you still get the "boss" on the board and you can plan for it. In RE it's completely random if your gonna fight the boss or not. It's fun but can also be frustrating game.

Petrie

Banned
Yea but you still get the "boss" on the board and you can plan for it. In RE it's completely random if your gonna fight the boss or not. It's fun but can also be frustrating game.

Yeah. I prefer the Thunderstone method, as an old CCG/TCG player, it scratches that itch in a big way, especially as someone always crazy into the deck-building aspect.

Got my shipping notice as well. It says it will be here on the 13th but it's already in transit about 45 minutes from my house. I expect it to be here tomorrow.

Unless they paid extra for Saturday shipping, you wont get it till Monday probably. Mine is the same it's in town now but says the 13th as well. UPS and FedEx both charge extra for Saturday deliveries or it's only for 2nd day/next day shipments.

Unless they paid extra for Saturday shipping, you wont get it till Monday probably. Mine is the same it's in town now but says the 13th as well. UPS and FedEx both charge extra for Saturday deliveries or it's only for 2nd day/next day shipments.
They are being shipped via FedEx Smart ship so they hand it off to your local USPS distribution. USPS does the actual home delivery, which means Saturday delivery is possible.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Rules-wise, yes. Supposedly it was done so that someone couldn't camp out and be ultimately guaranteed some really good card (not even sure what this would be). But thematically if you're not even familiar with the cards I wouldn't see any issue with not shuffling.

Cool. Thanks for the input.

Damn. So when mine says

it means it's going to the USPS Office?

Was hoping to get it today after work lol.
From what I understand, yes. For me, it's actually not a bad thing. UPS and FEDex both delivery crazy late to my house (7:30pm sometimes) so having USPS deliver the package means I'll get it at a decent hour.

Do you guys have any experience with Wings of War or Wings Of Glory?

I can pick up Wings of War: Fire From The Sky for pretty cheap since its on the way out.

I am wondering if its worth it or if I should just jump straight into the newer Wings of Glory?

Just bought a copy of Seven Wonders. :)

Finally got Push Fight in the mail. Not a serious board game, but it's fun (and was easy to get a few family members interested in playing).

Started a game of Diplomacy with my weekly Catan group - we'll resolve one move/turn per week after our normal game of Catan. Gives us plenty of time for negotiation through emails/texts.

Protip with Zombicide shipping. You can put your tracking number in USPS' website to get a better idea on where the package is located.

EDIT: Of course this will only work if FedEx already handed the package off to USPS.

Do you guys have any experience with Wings of War or Wings Of Glory?

I can pick up Wings of War: Fire From The Sky for pretty cheap since its on the way out.

I am wondering if its worth it or if I should just jump straight into the newer Wings of Glory?

Its same game basically, just released under new name. It's more of a war game suited for 2 players than a board game though. Did a write up about in the miniature gaming thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20180943&postcount=56

Neverfade

Eff zombicide, where's my GtR?

After all the bitching and moaning on BGG I stayed fairly complacent. Nothing CFG could do would make the printers run faster, the employees at the printer not make mistakes, nor the boats sail faster. But now the patience is wearing thin. The damn thing landed in port on July 19th and there's still no indication if it's going to be going out anytime soon. The last update said the week of August 5th American Backers would be shipped out. Here we are on Friday and there's not a single damn person on BGG who's spoken up and said they've gotten notification (and you know someone there would).

Comparatively, my Copy of Lyssan was off the boat on a Friday, packed up by a team smaller than CFGs and in my damn hands by Wednesday.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Yea its pretty much same game though has lot more too it, especially with the unique stats and ability to customize ships with pilots and equipment cards. Very much looking forward to it.

hmmm I might just hold off and grab x-wing then.

I am hitting the local store on the way home..

7 wonders?

After all the bitching and moaning on BGG I stayed fairly complacent. Nothing CFG could do would make the printers run faster, the employees at the printer not make mistakes, nor the boats sail faster. But now the patience is wearing thin. The damn thing landed in port on July 19th and there's still no indication if it's going to be going out anytime soon. The last update said the week of August 5th American Backers would be shipped out. Here we are on Friday and there's not a single damn person on BGG who's spoken up and said they've gotten notification (and you know someone there would).

Comparatively, my Copy of Lyssan was off the boat on a Friday, packed up by a team smaller than CFGs and in my damn hands by Wednesday.

CGF is run by fucking morons. If they didn't try to set up distribution centers like they were Amazon we would have had the game months ago. They may be a small company but they have been in the game for a few years already. Shipping card games is what they do yet they couldn't even handle this correctly. I had one man Kickstarter operations get their games to me sooner than GTR. I feel bad for people who chose the free shipping option because there is no way in hell they won't fuck that up either. I'm shocked they still haven't answered if they even shipped packages yet even after they said they would do that during this week. I hate to be that guy but this is the last product I buy from them.

Yea its pretty much same game though has lot more too it, especially with the unique stats and ability to customize ships with pilots and equipment cards. Very much looking forward to it.
Same here, it looks awesome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

lmao at the CSI description. sounds like a pretty epic fuckup

Expected release: Find a calendar and a dartboard. I ended up with July or August. Your results may vary.

I hope i'm not annoying anybody with my questions every day!!

I am heading to my local game store and I have narrowed it down to 7 wonders or Thunderstone Advance.

thoughts?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
7 wonders is an awesome light civ-builder game with a civ theme
thunderstone is a mediumweight deckbuilder with a generic fantasy theme

they are waaaaay different but i quite like 7w

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

I am heading to my local game store and I have narrowed it down to 7 wonders or Thunderstone Advance.

thoughts?

Do you own Dominion? Thunderstone Advanced is a slightly better version of Thundersone. Which is a significantly shittier rip off of Dominion. So get Dominion instead.

7 Wonders is the better game by a longshot in my opinion. It's symbology can cause issues for new players because there isn't much oppurtunity to provide assistance to anyone. That said, the game concepts are very straightforward, you only have to focus on players to your left and right, and it feels like you are really building something.

You can also play a game very quickly and everyone has a good grasp on it by halfway through the first game. It's one of those games that is easier to play than it is to explain. Which I always like.

I also hate Thunderstone with a fiery passion. On occasion you can wind up with a bad combo of cards you can buy that just don't really work well against the bad guys you have to fight. I've ended many a game of Thunerstone on purpose by losing fights to cycle through the deck more quickly and end the stupid game. Deck Builders should *never* last more than 30 minutes. I've had a Thunderstone game last nearly 3 hours before.

So, 7 wonders.

7 wonders is an awesome light civ-builder game with a civ theme
thunderstone is a mediumweight deckbuilder with a generic fantasy theme

they are waaaaay different but i quite like 7w

Thanks! your opinion actually means a lot.

Do you own Dominion? Thunderstone Advanced is light a slightly better version of Thundersone. Which is a significantly shittier rip off of Dominion. So get Dominion instead.

7 Wonders is the better game by a longshot in my opinion. It's symbology can cause issues for new players because there isn't much oppurtunity to provide assistance to anyone.

That said, you can play a game very quickly and everyone has a good grasp on it by halfway through the first game.

I also hate Thunderstone with a fiery passion.

So, 7 wonders.

We do own and play dominion all the time.

Thanks man!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
My hatred of Thunderstone aside,

if you are building a collection of games, you should avoid similar mechanics until you've fleshed it out a bit more.

Thunderstone is going to scratch a similar itch to Dominion. Once you've got 40+ games you'll wind up with games that have similar feels to them, but I'd avoid that till you have a good sized collection if possible.

Not that I followed that advice. I had about 15 worker placement games when I only owned 18 games.

thoughts?
7 Wonders by a mile. Plays quickly regardless of the amount of players you have and it can accommodate up to 7. Our group can knock out a 7 player game of this in 30 minutes easy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Got Twilight Imperium today, but will not even attempt to get a game going. Gonna get some nice rule reading done, then some re-reading then some forums browsing of rules before I set it up.

risk_legacy_box.jpg

Thanks for the help guys! Just grabbed 7 wonders! Almost switched at the last minute to Last Night On Earth but 7 wonders will be a solid addition to the rotation with my family who aren't hardcore gamers.

Edit: Risk Legacy: WANT!

Petrie

Banned

if you are building a collection of games, you should avoid similar mechanics until you've fleshed it out a bit more.

Thunderstone is going to scratch a similar itch to Dominion. Once you've got 40+ games you'll wind up with games that have similar feels to them, but I'd avoid that till you have a good sized collection if possible.

Not that I followed that advice. I had about 15 worker placement games when I only owned 18 games.

We just got Thunderstone Advanced while on vacation looking for a 2 player game, but I still have dominion at home sealed up. Never realized it worked well with 2 so never opened it. Hopefully they're different enoug to justify having both, at least for the themes.

If not, to BGG trades they go!

At least I have Forbidden Island, 7 Wonders, Descent 2nd, and the TTR expansion waiting for me!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thunderstone and Dominion are very different games, don't worry about it.

yep.

i think stooge just meant if you already have dominion no harm in going for another gateway classic (7W) that's quite different while you soak up dominion just a bit more.

actually AEG itself is releasing Smash Up (superhero deckbuilding) in a few days. seems interesting :p

Just cracked open Zombicide. Really impressed with the components. The minis are not rubbery and feel like a hard plastic. The sculpts look great ad there was just so damn much in that box. Off to read the rules hopefully I can play a game this weekend.

Petrie

Banned
yep.

i think stooge just meant if you already have dominion no harm in going for another gateway classic (7W) that's quite different while you soak up dominion just a bit more.

actually AEG itself is releasing Smash Up (superhero deckbuilding) in a few days. seems interesting :p

Great. Another game I'll need. Screw Dominion! Lol

fenners

Just cracked open Zombicide. Really impressed with the components. The minis are not rubbery and feel like a hard plastic. The sculpts look great ad there was just so damn much in that box. Off to read the rules hopefully I can play a game this weekend.

I'm impressed they turned it around so quickly; guess it goes to show what you can do when you're already an established company etc. Looking forward to impressions. This is one kickstarter I still am a little annoyed at skipping.

On a different note, I put in a rare game order at CSI. I've drastically shrunk my collection this year - easily sold/traded away 30-40 games & expansions, trading 'up' to some bigger box games like Fortune & Glory, Tide of Iron & PitchCar. I think the only game I've bought so far at retail this year was the Gears of War POD expansion...

I'm rounding out Arkham Horror with Miskatonic University & the Lurker expansion (and a block of dice to go with it), Catacombs (a flicking dungeon crawler I've enjoyed in the past) and a copy of Carcassonne, a game I know well from XBLA but have never played the boardgame of. My 5 year old daughter is digging messing around with the iPad version, so I *needed* to get the real thing for her to mess around with.

And I ordered this, as discussed earlier, as a monster cup for Arkham Horror ;)

il_570xN.364461512_5akr.jpg

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Read up rules for Twilight Imperium, but couldn't find the pre made maps you guys were talking about. Any links?

Edit: uhhh, nevermind lol

Two questions -

Which Arkham Horror expansion is better - Innsmouth or Dunwich?

Are there any small world expansions that raise the player count?

*edit* And are there any good 7+ player games on the cheap that you guys would recommend?

Xater

That's where I am at right now. Trying to create a collection with different mechanics that my friends and I can enjoy together. Sadly so far that included buying and selling a couple of games. I am very happy with my current collection though and I think it has a nice spread:

Agricola
Castles of Burgundy
Power Grid
Hive Pocket
Keltis
King of Tokyo
Citadels
Pandemic
Samurai
Targi

I am thinking about adding:
Jaipur (I often play 2 player games with my GF and this looks like a fun trading game)
Descent 2nd Edition (I am not sure if it really fits with my regular group. I know I would love it.)

I also think I am missing something with negotiation in it. Any recommendations of stuff that is maybe not too deep? (i.e. Game of Thrones)

Also despite my first love of Dominion I am kind of over deck building. At this point I kind of can't stand it.

Vamlock

Are there any gems in the CSI Summer Sale? If it's something more complicated than Betrayal at House on the Hill, please let me know as I'll still consider it, but I won't get to play it as much.

Also, I'm looking to get Dixit, is there any version I should be favoring if I have none currently?

Got through two solo games of Zombicide this afternoon. The game is pretty good. There isn't anything that will wow you in it but it works and works well. The tutorial is easy, stupid easy and I would just use it as practice solo game to get used to the rules. The rules themselves are straight forward and I only had to check the rules a couple times during my games.

A couple of things that struck me about the first scenario. First, the tiles are big so the map was a lot bigger than I was expecting. You are going to need a good amount of table space for this one. Second, it's not easy, in fact it's down right hard. You have to collect five objectives scattered on the map, search for canned food, water, and rice, plus exit the map. I was able to grab two objectives and canned food before I was overrun. The scenario starts off quietly but quickly escalates as zombies spawn in their normal zones plus in the buildings were you need to search.

Anyway, it's fun and has the potential to be as fun as Last Night on Earth which is saying a lot for me. It's a good zombie game and in a sea of bad ones it really stands out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom