• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're trying to make a long term game plan, you're doing it wrong.

Innovation is about "tactics" as opposed to "strategies". You will do well if you focus on small tactics using abilities as they come. Combos are super fun to do, but don't expect them to last because the cards are meant to be replaced.

If you're looking for a specific card in the game, you're bound to miss it because it is a single ton deck and each card has a possibility of being thrown in a score pile/becoming an achievement. Don't try to play Glory to Rome!

IMO, the "randomness" gives the game infinite replay-ability, much more so than Dominion or Kingdom Builder.
I don't mind the randomness at all and I'm able and willing to play on my toes but with Innovation it's just uninteresting. I don't feel like I'm really doing anything significant with my turn. Just playing cards down and maybe I'll trigger the event or maybe not? Eh, not my cup of tea. Now Glory to Rome I love, that's why I was so disappointed with Innovation.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not only that but one of the more interesting tactics I enjoy is forcing others to perform non-demand dogmas that are actually likely harmful to them. This is just one way to chip away at someone who has an infrastructure lead.

Just finished reading the rules and all the cards for cosmic encounter. I need to go poke around that polygamy thread because with just my wife and me, we don't have enough people to play! My wife looked intrigued too (not by polygamy) because she didn't even yell at me when the box came from UPS.

Flynn

I'm gonna jump on the Innovation bandwagon. Early on it always felt like one player was running away with the game, but that's because we weren't responding to them. You really do have a pretty decent set of tools for shutting down other players' tactics. That's where the game gets really fun, figuring out what you have in that can do that.

It seems with the birth of my child and getting older (turning 30 this year) I have found myself really wanting to play more board game instead of Video games.

the human interaction just makes it more enjoyable for me right now, spending time with my wife and sister and in laws is great.

this thread has helped me make some great game purchases.

thanks everyone!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It seems with the birth of my child and getting older (turning 30 this year) I have found myself really wanting to play more board game instead of Video games.

the human interaction just makes it more enjoyable for me right now, spending time with my wife and sister and in laws is great.

thanks everyone!

I still love video games but I'm starting to agree with this. I have a really good time playing a good board game with a good group.

Also must agree with the love for this thread and AstroLad for running it. It's one of my favorite threads on GAF.

thanks everyone!
I'm just a fan of gaming in general. I still love videogames but it gets harder to play with a wife a kid around. At least with boardgaming it's something my wife and I can do together. Thankfully she is into board games as well so it works out.

thanks everyone!

Totally agree mate. Though I still like video games I have really got back into board games over the last 2-3 years and with the birth of my son 2 years ago I'm really excited for when he can jump in and play with me.

Great thread.

Neverfade

So I've been thinking of giving Agricola another shot. Shocking, I know. Blame my love for Le Havre. I still really have a problem with the extended family action (don't know the exact name off the top of my head) and what it can mean if you miss it early on. Someone said Farmers of the Moor helps alleviate this a bit; true? Someone talk me into giving this another chance and how to approach it without hating it all over again.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up Arkham Horror today, now the learning process begins. I will have to check out the videos and threads AstroLad posted the other day.

I also need to buy some of the specialiy dice. The regular ones just don't cut it.

So I've been thinking of giving Agricola another shot. Shocking, I know. Blame my love for Le Havre. I still really have a problem with the extended family action (don't know the exact name off the top of my head) and what it can mean if you miss it early on. Someone said Farmers of the Moor helps alleviate this a bit; true? Someone talk me into giving this another chance and how to approach it without hating it all over again.
What's your problem with the Family Growth Action? I've found it helps to work towards an early family growth but it's not detrimental if you don't have a big family. My wife loves to focus on family growth but it rarely nets her a win because she forgets about everything else.

wanders

Finally got around to playing a couple games of BloodBowl Team Manager..really fun game love how interactive it is.

Overall I'm finding the cardgames alot of fun(probably something to do with being able to bring them camping)

So far card games I have are:

Dominion
Race for the Galaxy
7 Wonders
Bloodbowl Manager

I'd like to add some more that are unique game play styles vs variants of the same game design.(don't need san juan since its close to same as RFTG for example)

We really like the fact that these games don't require you to build decks prior to play.. and instead use a drafting mechanic..

I don't want CCG, tho the LCG look interesting since the core sets seem to come with enough to be a complete game.

Any real standout card games recommendations?

If you want something that plays like a CCG try Gosu. I really enjoyed it.

Anyone know other games that play like CCGs?

If you want something that plays like a CCG try Gosu. I really enjoyed it.

Anyone know other games that play like CCGs?
Fantasy Flight's LCGs are designed like CCGs. The booster packs are set so you know exactly what are in them. Lord of the Rings is the only one I played and it's decent.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well, tomorrow I'm getting the last game of my initial "must have board game" list. Not even a month in and me and my friends went straight to the crazy stuff. We have been on Arkham Horror and Descent 1st1st edition HARD. Just got in the Runewars expansion today and tomorrow I will have Twilight Imperium. Next, some of the guys are gonna get some of the fames they think will be good, starting with A Game of Thrones and Mage Knight. Anyone have any experience with them?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
thanks to everyone for the advice for some new card boardgames will have to order a few in my next big box shipment.
currently at the campground till sunday and now the weather has progressed from 1 rainy day to 3 rainy days in a row.. I should have posted this request for ideas last week LOL

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Fantasy Flight's LCGs are designed like CCGs. The booster packs are set so you know exactly what are in them. Lord of the Rings is the only one I played and it's decent.

i have been looking at them,as well as summoner wars master set..do any of these not require you to build decks to play?

Reason I ask is I have hecatomb(its like a lovecraftian Magic the gathering game) but the problem is since Im the only one that has the cards its up to me to make all these decks to play with and I'd rather stay away from needing to do that..just want ones that work well drawning from a stack and building as you play.

i have been looking at them,as well as summoner wars master set..do any of these not require you to build decks to play?

Reason I ask is I have hecatomb(its like a lovecraftian Magic the gathering game) but the problem is since Im the only one that has the cards its up to me to make all these decks to play with and I'd rather stay away from needing to do that..just want ones that work well drawning from a stack and building as you play.

You can play the LCG's with the premade decks in the starter sets, but they are not always the most balanced and such. You will also get bored quick just playing with the starter deck set ups.

Summoner Wars is different in that it works perfectly fine without ever touching the deck building aspect and you can just buy the faction decks as playable.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
tomorrow I will have Twilight Imperium.

I'd highly recommend using the fixed maps that you can download from Fantasyflights TI page to start with. For such a long game and for the first time your group is gonna try its much better to start out with a balanced map.

Oh and really consider using the "age of empire" variant from the get go(its in back of the rule book). It exposes the public objectives from the beginning so you can start working towards them immediately.

When we first played we didn't use it and found alot of the game your not sure what to be doing since the classic rules expose them slowly threw out the game.

fenners

I'd highly recommend using the fixed maps that you can download from Fantasyflights TI page to start with. For such a long game and for the first time your group is gonna try its much better to start out with a balanced map.

Oh and really consider using the "age of empire" variant from the get go(its in back of the rule book). It exposes the public objectives from the beginning so you can start working towards them immediately.

When we first played we didn't use it and found alot of the game your not sure what to be doing since the classic rules expose them slowly threw out the game.

Listen to this man. I'd go with both of those for /any/ game of TI3 to be honest.

fenners

So, Arkham Horror.

I'm likely going to be organising/playing at least one big game of this in a couple of weeks at a friend's weekend gaming gettogether. I'd really like to pimp out my set a little to make it a more memorable gaming experience for the group...

I'm not about to buy a set of litko stands or painted investigators, so I'm looking for more budget minded recommendations/suggestions. Anyone found a good mythos themed monster bag for example? What's the thoughts on the FFG Arkham themed dice? Any good replacement for the start player marker - maybe one of the mini Cthulhu from the LCG?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I got a bag from her. She'll actually do custom sizes and colors too (forget if that's extra, probably a little bit). I got mine a bit too big in the base and not tall enough (my mistake entirely since I spec'd it) but the quality was great.

fenners

I got a bag from her. She'll actually do custom sizes and colors too (forget if that's extra, probably a little bit). I got mine a bit too big in the base and not tall enough (my mistake entirely since I spec'd it) but the quality was great.

Good to know, Astrolad.

I think I'm going to investigate some of those plastic business card holders from OfficeDepot etc. They seem to be popular on the 'Geek for organising cards for Arkham too.

What big releases are going to be released at Gencon that I should be aware of? Friend going does the shopping for me and was only so far asking for some miniature game releases but don't know of any major board game releases that I will want to jump on, or just wait.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, fwiw I don't mind laying the cards out on the table at all. But if it's a space issue I guess maybe there's no choice.

The Litko gate things are cute in theory but they're not that great IRL. The custom dice I got off BGG are amazing. Really awesome. I don't know if they're still available or if they were otherwise commercialized. I remember the "official" ones being not that great. What's great about the BGG dice is that you have cursed, regular, and blessed dice and they were just really well done.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have only played a couple turns of Arkham and I know I'm going to love it. I defintiely want to buy some dice. I may also consider getting some of the premium monsters, I'm not a fan of the plastic stands for the monster markers, which have already pulled a little peice of the paper of the marker. It will be expensive, but I will do it slowly.

fenners

What big releases are going to be released at Gencon that I should be aware of? Friend going does the shopping for me and was only so far asking for some miniature game releases but don't know of any major board game releases that I will want to jump on, or just wait.

FFG's X-Wing game...

fenners

Yeah, fwiw I don't mind laying the cards out on the table at all. But if it's a space issue I guess maybe there's no choice.

The Litko gate things are cute in theory but they're not that great IRL. The custom dice I got off BGG are amazing. Really awesome. I don't know if they're still available or if they were otherwise commercialized. I remember the "official" ones being not that great. What's great about the BGG dice is that you have cursed, regular, and blessed dice and they were just really well done.

A third party company (Q-Games?) are doing Arkham themed dice for FFG but they're not as nice looking as the Chessex custom dice. The issue with the Chessex dice is I can't get 'em in two weeks for the game I'm running :)

Zero interest in the litko stands too. Don't see the point at all & they apparently chew up monster pieces etc.

Leviathan, the Steampunk miniatures game by Catalyst will be available, but I expect it to sell out the first day.

I think I may head to GenCon on Saturday since Indy is only a couple of hours away so I can get in some HeroClix action. If I win just one LE I can ebay it and pay for the trip plus whatever I happen to buy while I'm there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
A third party company (Q-Games?) are doing Arkham themed dice for FFG but they're not as nice looking as the Chessex custom dice. The issue with the Chessex dice is I can't get 'em in two weeks for the game I'm running :)

Zero interest in the litko stands too. Don't see the point at all & they apparently chew up monster pieces etc.

Worth it. Just tell people to suck it up at this game night. :D fwiw I didn't feel that the official dice really added much to the experience -- if anything some of the digits were actually hard to make out. I think there are different versions of the official dice now though.

eviathan, the Steampunk miniatures game by Catalyst will be available, but I expect it to sell out the first day.

I think I may head to GenCon on Saturday since Indy is only a couple of hours away so I can get in some HeroClix action. If I win just one LE I can ebay it and pay for the trip plus whatever I happen to buy while I'm there.
They're not selling Netrunner yet are they? Just having a tourney? One day I'll go to GenCon (I almost did last year), but for now I'm coo with BGG being my one gaming trip of the year since I'm more of an open gamer than a New Hotness gamer (although BGG has a decent deal of New Hotness as well now too, just not always available for sale).

Worth it. Just tell people to suck it up at this game night. :D fwiw I didn't feel that the official dice really added much to the experience -- if anything some of the digits were actually hard to make out. I think there are different versions of the official dice now though.

They're not selling Netrunner yet are they? Just having a tourney? One day I'll go to GenCon (I almost did last year), but for now I'm coo with BGG being my one gaming trip of the year since I'm more of an open gamer than a New Hotness gamer (although BGG has a decent deal of New Hotness as well now too, just not always available for sale).

They'll have Netrunner for sale in quantities of who knows what amount.

As for what else is going to be released:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/142245/gen-con-2012-preview

Have fun!

My pick up list got cut down a bit, because I decided I could just wait a few weeks for some of the things, but right now it stands at:

Android Netrunner
Mage Wars (probably what I'm most excited about)
Heap
Infernal Contraption
Level 7
and maaaaaybe the Doctor Who Card Game (I need to demo it first)

I was also going to pick up Seasons, Starship Merchants, and Smash Up! but I just ordered them instead.

Mythic Battles is another one that caught my eye due to the artwork.

FFG's X-Wing game...

Yea thats part of my miniature gaming purchases my friend is getting me at the con, not really a board game. FFG does not have permission to produce Star Wars board games with their license, so only mini, card, and rpgs will be made by them. They are leaving board games to the big family friendly companies... bleh :p

Leviathan, the Steampunk miniatures game by Catalyst will be available, but I expect it to sell out the first day.

Another for the miniature game pile but I'm gonna wait on it since it's very expensive and rather get it with online discounts. The game will be available pretty soon also so not in a rush.

Petrie

Banned
Mage Wars (probably what I'm most excited about)

I really hope this game turns out well. Just got my g/f and I Thunderstone and she really seems to like it well enough, though she finds the endings a bit anticlimactic. I'd love a game that is similar but feels like a bit more "epic battle" at the end where you don't know you're going to beat the boss before it even starts the battle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I really hope this game turns out well. Just got my g/f and I Thunderstone and she really seems to like it well enough, though she finds the endings a bit anticlimactic. I'd love a game that is similar but feels like a bit more "epic battle" at the end where you don't know you're going to beat the boss before it even starts the battle.

Resident Evil is like this although imo not as well designed as Thunderstone.

If she just enjoys fighting bosses and stuff try out Ghost Stories. Co-op with no deckbuilding but it does have cool bosses and tons of dice chucking.

Petrie

Banned
Resident Evil is like this although imo not as well designed as Thunderstone.

If she just enjoys fighting bosses and stuff try out Ghost Stories. Co-op with no deckbuilding but it does have cool bosses and tons of dice chucking.

It sucks. She really enjoys the rest of the game, but at the end she was like "wait, that's it? Well that was anticlimactic".

It just came down to me pulling a good hand, and knowing I'd walk all over the Thunderstone bearer. Without that tension where that small chance of a bad roll can still cause a loss.

Yea Resident Evil is probably the closest since it has a final boss which you don't know when hes going to appear. Game has lot of balance issues but if you don't mind some sloppy game design and just want some simple fun, it's not bad.

I would recommend doing what many players like to do, and is to take the final boss and shuffle him into the bottom 4th of the deck or half of the deck, since the way the game is played normally the boss is just shuffled in.... so it can be the first enemy you encounter..... yea it's kind of silly so simple house rule of placing him only in the later half makes much more sense.

Petrie

Banned
Yea Resident Evil is probably the closest since it has a final boss which you don't know when hes going to appear. Game has lot of balance issues but if you don't mind some sloppy game design and just want some simple fun, it's not bad.

I would recommend doing what many players like to do, and is to take the final boss and shuffle him into the bottom 4th of the deck or half of the deck, since the way the game is played normally the boss is just shuffled in.... so it can be the first enemy you encounter..... yea it's kind of silly so simple house rule of placing him only in the later half makes much more sense.

Oh, in Thunderstone Advanced he is shuffled into the bottom 10 cards of the deck by default.

Hopefully the expansions fix her slight issue a bit.

Neverfade

Finally got to play Nexus Ops. Quick, light game that really hits the spot if you want to kill little figures in about an hour. Not going to replace any deep strategy game, but I think it has a place in my collection for keeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom