• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Quick question for those who track their play sessions using BGG. When playing a game with an expansion, do you enter a session for both the base game and the expansion? Or do you just mark it in the base game with a comment about what expansion you were playing?

Finally decided on my latest order. Always hard to pick which ones to limit it to.

Mostly Card driven games and an addon that was last one in stock.

A Few Acres of Snow 2nd edition
Cyclades: Hades
Summoner Wars: Master Set
7 Wonders: Cities
Innovation
Dixit Journey

not sure when it will ship,order won't ship till 7 Wonders Cities arrives in stock(anyone know when thats going out?)

Was this at CSI? I might sneak that into my order if so. It wasn't available on their site when I placed mine.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Quick question for those who track their play sessions using BGG. When playing a game with an expansion, do you enter a session for both the base game and the expansion? Or do you just mark it in the base game with a comment about what expansion you were playing?

I always just track base game plays.

I think it's easier to do, and for the most part the expansions I own get mixed in with the base game, so I'm always using all of the expansions. It can cause some issues with Dominion since you don't always get a card from a given expansion... but I don't honestly care that much.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think because of Dominion I ultimately started doing just base game for every game. But I stopped tracking a long time ago. Now I just wish more games had apps like the official 7 Wonders one where the game-tracking is really tailored to the game and actually gives you some cool data to look back on.

I think because of Dominion I ultimately started doing just base game for every game. But I stopped tracking a long time ago. Now I just wish more games had apps like the official 7 Wonders one where the game-tracking is really tailored to the game and actually gives you some cool data to look back on.

True story: I started design on a Database to track stats on all the games I played. Even coded up a prototype for Agricola (and I think RftG too). Going off of the score sheets in my Agricola box, I entered everything and found that I average far less points from the animals than my opponents.

Still kind of want to build that stat DB, but no way have I got the time. It'd be awesome on yucata, since it theoretically could pull data directly from game results and give you all kinds of metrics on things. I'd love to have one of these DBs that I could just query all the time. What percentage of Thunderstone games are won by the first player to enter the dungeon? What's the French/British win ratio in A Few Acres of Snow? What's the average size of the tribe of the winning Stone Age player (I've been doing really well in my recent games without ever growing from the initial 5)?

If yucata had the DB set up, and any user could submit queries that read from the DB, and only winning (ranked) games could write to it... man, that'd be so great.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Thanks for the input. Funny enough it was Dominion that made me bring the topic up, since so many expansions were getting mixed into the game. I think I'll just stick to putting plays into the base games with comments about what expansions were included.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ok, this is seriously the last purchase for me for a bit (barring Descent Expansions lol). I got Shattered Empire and Shards of the Throne for Twilight Imperium yesterday. Today, I ordered Mage Knight. So, with that:

Mage Knight
Descent 1st edition + Well of Darkness
Twilight Imperium + Shards of the Throne and Shattered Empire
Arkham Horror + Dunwich Horror
7 Wonders + Leaders
Ascension + Expansion (forgot what its called)
Runewars + Banners of War

We are set for a nice mix of styles and players. We had huge session yesterday. 5 hour game of Runewars. The expansion does some great things. Puts the heroes out in the front some more, adds a MUCH needed defensive order option with Garrison, makes harvest order much more useful and Tactics cards are a lot better now. After that, we got into the Well of Darkness expansion in Descent. Made it almost to the boss before being taken out by the overlord. New mechanics and heroes are fun.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ok, this is seriously the last purchase for me for a bit (barring Descent Expansions lol). I got Shattered Empire and Shards of the Throne for Twilight Imperium yesterday. Today, I ordered Mage Knight. So, with that:

Mage Knight
7 Wonders + Leaders

We are set for a nice mix of styles and players. We had huge session yesterday. 5 hour game of Runewars. The expansion does some great things. Puts the heroes out in the front some more, adds a MUCH needed defensive order option with Garrison, makes harvest order much more useful and Tactics cards are a lot better now. After that, we got into the Well of Darkness expansion in Descent. Made it almost to the boss before being taken out by the overlord. New mechanics and heroes are fun.

THere's multiples... Storm of Souls? Return of the Fallen?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

Mage Knight
7 Wonders + Leaders

Welcome to the addiction Friend. :)

983765_o.gif

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BGG is so full of meltdowns today:
-Ongoing Glory to Rome shipping issues
-Netrunner selling out in 10m at GenCon, mostly to obvious ebayers who bought 10+
-Dominion being multiplatform and online-only

I'm actually pretty stoked for Dominion :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think I'm going to finally try to go to GenCon next year. Seems like a lot of fun and also seems like they got the open-gaming stuff down more now.

fenners

This post on BGG says it all nicely about Glory To Rome black box:

GtR Black Box was particularly difficult, for us, for 3 basic reasons (as I've previously written):
oil It was our first game in a standard game box, using a new factory, a factory lacking someone who speaks English. AND we offered a staggering array or rewards to our supporters.
trash We promised free international shipping - something I've not heard of any other game company doing - and ended up having to fulfill orders to 45 different countries.
nuclear Our shipping plan proved so ambitious that our Director of Operations, a Chinese-speaking import/export professional, told us it was crazy, and quit pretty much immediately. Then, immediately after she quit (maybe a week later), the most senior hourly employee quit immediately after.

They over promised with no clue how to actually deliver & then got stung badly when they had to actually figure out /how/ to deliver what they'd promised. Man, the boardgame 'industry' is filled with optimists behind the scenes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow, yeah. That kind of stuff is pretty much exactly what the Kickstarter haters point to in terms of KS being all about big ideas with zero follow-through. I disagree with that general position, but the fewer CGFs the better for KS.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
BGG is so full of meltdowns today:
-Ongoing Glory to Rome shipping issues
-Netrunner selling out in 10m at GenCon, mostly to obvious ebayers who bought 10+
-Dominion being multiplatform and online-only

I'm actually pretty stoked for Dominion :D

I'm surprised they let you buy more then 1 or 2 at a time at a con..figured they'd want everyone in line to get a copy

My friend picked up my Heroclix Giant-Man this morning from Gen Con and they were letting each person in line buy three at a time, which I still thought was excessive. For the boardgame releases I can't believe they don't make it 1 per badge.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Wow, yeah. That kind of stuff is pretty much exactly what the Kickstarter haters point to in terms of KS being all about big ideas with zero follow-through. I disagree with that general position, but the fewer CGFs the better for KS.

This is why I went with a known printer and am using a well know wholesaler to handle shipping.

Printer sends all of the games to alliance. I send alliance a list o addresses. They mail it all.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I like it (D-Day Dice). Simple enough to learn quickly but complex enough for replays. I got the big kickstarter set so I have enough cards and maps to last me for years. The system is pretty robust, I can easily see an island storming pacific rim version, and even a Fulda Gap 80s era WW3 type scenario could be cool or modern era terrorist camp raiding.

I've not played with the German player, would probably make it way harder ad take away from the puzzle aspect.

Another GREAT solo game is Thunderbolt/Apache Leader from DVG. Really captures the feel of the microprose era flight combat games as you take your planes and helicopters over enemy territory and blast them to hell. The card system makes it pretty easy to pack up the game between missions so I expect it to get some use once the boy comes (will need to invest in quiet foam dice!).

Definitely going to look at some of the other DVG solo games, especially the u-boat one (though I have GMTs Hunters already on order). The VPG solo games are fun as well. Elder sign I prefer on the iPad as it is a bit fiddly, but Yggdrasil works either way. Still gotta break out Mage knight and try it solo.

Hmmm, this turned into a bit of a solo game run down.

Finally got a chance to play King of Tokyo last night. AMAZING fun. Everyone had an absolute blast. The fact that the games are all 30 minutes or less helps a lot. We played I think 8 games of it in a row. I won 4 of 'em :D

XShagrath

what a joke. There needs to a limit of 2
But FFG's "lumpy distribution" model means you won't get 3x of all cards unless you buy 3 sets.

If it's in that limited supply, they should have limited it to 1 per badge. It especially sucks if the people that signed up for the tourney don't even have cards to play with.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Thats really sad since it cost people money to sign up for the tourney and they can't even get a copy of the game ahead of time to practice with..

Sounds like FFG has been reluctant to set any limits.

Seems to me if you have say 300 copies(approx) and you have a line of 200ish people before 10am(quick head count) how hard would it be to just determine you need to set a limit.

heck if it was me I'd make two lines one for tourney ticket holders(1 max) and one for regular badge holders.
then I would get a pad of paper and walk down the line getting a tally of how many people want to buy how many copies and see how short you are.

fenners

Thats really sad since it cost people money to sign up for the tourney and they can't even get a copy of the game ahead of time to practice with..

Sounds like FFG has been reluctant to set any limits.

Seems to me if you have say 300 copies(approx) and you have a line of 200ish people before 10am(quick head count) how hard would it be to just determine you need to set a limit.

heck if it was me I'd make two lines one for tourney ticket holders(1 max) and one for regular badge holders.
then I would get a pad of paper and walk down the line getting a tally of how many people want to buy how many copies and see how short you are.

Christian Petersen just posted this on BGG:

Hi All,

Chris from Gen Con here. I wanted to pipe in and give you all some concrete information and facts.

- FFG expedited pallets of the game from LA to arrive at the show. The primary shipment is enroute to FFG still.
- We brought more copies of this game than any game we've ever brought to Gen Con (except for X-Wing, which we have here at the same show).
- We did not, mistakenly, place a limit on these. It should be said that FFG has never (in our recollection) placed limits on Gen Con sales.
- Rumors of hoarding are greatly overstated. A few people bought 6-8 copies (about 5 people is my information). Most of the people buying 3-4 copies were simply doing so for a friend in order for the friend to avoid the huge line. There was NOT a 25-copy sale.
- Half the copies were sold from 9am to 10am when the "VIG" gamers are let into the hall. Per Gen Con rules, we have to be open for business for this crowd (who pay for this priviledge). So, in fact, the game sold out on 70 minutes, not 10.
- We are overnighting loaner copies, so that anyone who registered for the Icebreaker tournament (and was unable to buy a game) will have game materials.
- We are looking at options to get more copies driven in from afar (but we cannot promise that we'll be successful).

We are, of course, very sorry for the gamers whom wanted a copy, and came early, and that did not get copies. Fortunately the game will be broadly available in 4 weeks or so.

This does not imply that we did not make a mistake here, but I think the facts should assist in curbing the speculation.

Best Wishes,

Christian T Petersen
CEO
FFG

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9841294#9841294

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Christian Petersen just posted this on BGG:

Well thats nice for him to at least post that and clear it up..I imagine its really hard to guess how big a hit something like this would be and I'm sure they dont' want any stock left to ship back to their warehouses after the event.
Paizo burned thru all the Pathfinder Hardcovers pretty fast couple years ago as well I remember.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Confirmed that it'll be out in four weeks too. Yay :D

7 Wonders: Cities, Dominion Dark Ages, and Netrunner all out around the same time.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Confirmed that it'll be out in four weeks too. Yay :D

7 Wonders: Cities, Dominion Dark Ages, and Netrunner all out around the same time.

You seem so excited about Netrunner, mind giving me a quick rundown of why you're so excited/what it exactly is?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This is relatively unrelated, but I just realized how much I miss Heroscape. I really loved that game, and it's too bad they don't produce anything for it anymore. Heroclix is close, I guess, but it's not the same. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Netrunner is a reboot of the classic 2p CCG from Richard Garfield (Magic, King of Tokyo, RoboRally), in LCG format. I'd only played a few hands of the original, but it's widely praised as one of the more underappreciated and even possible best CCGs ever.

flyover

Finally got a chance to play King of Tokyo last night. AMAZING fun. Everyone had an absolute blast. The fact that the games are all 30 minutes or less helps a lot. We played I think 8 games of it in a row. I won 4 of 'em :D

Yeah. I just got it this week, too, and it was a great "just one more game" game for my group. The pace and length were perfect for us.

The composition of our usual group ranges from college students to my wife's 70-year-old aunt. And only a few of us would be up for longer games with more complex rules. So we usually have the best luck with lighter, quicker games. Lots of Ticket to Ride and silly games like Cash'n'Guns and Cards Against Humanity. Small World and Pandemic are about as ambitious as we get, most of the time.

King of Tokyo was right in our wheelhouse. When you open the box, it looks like a lot of pieces. But the setup and gameplay were plenty fast. Don't know if it'll have longevity. Sometimes the games that work well right away don't. But it made a great first impression.

The whole Android thing is a non-issue to me. I only care about con exclusives. There is no reason to buy a game for full price at the company booth when you can wait a month and get it for cheaper online.

XShagrath

The whole Android thing is a non-issue to me. I only care about con exclusives. There is no reason to buy a game for full price at the company booth when you can wait a month and get it for cheaper online.
True, true, my friend.

I was going to have a friend try to pick me up Netrunner. Then I figured I would be spending $40 to get it a couple weeks early and maybe get to play it only a handful of times pre-mass release. Or I could spend $25 or so and pick it up from CSI on the way home from work next month.

I decided I'd wait.

wanders

Netrunner is a reboot of the classic 2p CCG from Richard Garfield (Magic, King of Tokyo, RoboRally), in LCG format. I'd only played a few hands of the original, but it's widely praised as one of the more underappreciated and even possible best CCGs ever.

Damn Netrunner is returning?! That's great! Now someone needs to revive Doomtown......

True, true, my friend.

I was going to have a friend try to pick me up Netrunner. Then I figured I would be spending $40 to get it a couple weeks early and maybe get to play it only a handful of times pre-mass release. Or I could spend $25 or so and pick it up from CSI on the way home from work next month.

I decided I'd wait.

I forgot that you live by the CSI's REAL location. I hate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom