• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually get most of my stuff from TrollandToad because it usually comes out cheaper in the end with shipping. I also use Miniature Market from time to time and they have a reward point system.

what tier are you guys at at csi?

8th-tier here 4% off everything

Same. Not too far off from the ninth circle of hell either.

By the way, Gen Con was great. Managed to grab two copies of Netrunner (they were actually gone in closer to 5 minutes, if it even made it to that) and Mage Wars. Sold two of my co-workers on Warmachine and also picked up Level 7 [ESCAPE].

CoolMiniorNot wins the breast, er, best booth babe award for a Relic Knights booth babe. It was literally, "Lets find the skinniest woman with the largest breasts we can that can protrude through this open topped Samus Power Suit." I mean, they had to put pasties on her to cover up areola/nipples.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I said damn.

6th here. Probably about 2 orders away from 7th.

I know I feel l should get a badge or something. I guess the discount is the prize though. :p

The unfortunate thing is it doesn't stack with when they're having other %off sales though those are pretty rare.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mage Wars is quite a bit deeper I think. I didn't like SW at first but after learning and playing it on iOS I've really come to enjoy its simplicity and balance. Also tense dice-chucking, which is my favorite.

I actually get most of my stuff from TrollandToad because it usually comes out cheaper in the end with shipping. I also use Miniature Market from time to time and they have a reward point system.

Yea Miniature Market tends to come out cheapest for me. The in Florida sales tax basically kills the discounts for CSI for me, so MM works out the cheapest. I order from CSI just to get stuff fast if I do since it's next day within the state, while MM takes 5-6 days

Friend and I played Twilight Struggle yesterday; I won as the Soviets mid-war. Second time we played it, not sure we finished the first game (was probably close to a year ago). Fun game, though I think I prefer the card-driven games where each side has a deck (Paths of Glory, Blue vs Grey).

After that we broke out some Panzer Grenadier, which involved more re-learning (I don't get to play it very often). Played a fairly boring little scenario to teach the rules. Hopefully we'll break out the tanks next time. Really wish there was Vassal support for the game so I could play it more often.

gencon3_27.jpg

As I mentioned earlier.

I wanna report in that I loved the demo of Spartacus at GenCon, bought it, then loved it even more after playing it. It's a fun game that people can get into.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BM and other Genconners: When does FFG do its surprise announcements? I'm really hoping for a Blood Bowl TM expansion though not holding out hope.

XShagrath

BM and other Genconners: When does FFG do its surprise announcements? I'm really hoping for a Blood Bowl TM expansion though not holding out hope.
I watched their GenCon video this morning, and it sounded like Chris Petersen was going to give their "In Flight" speech later today at 1:30(?), and there would be a few surprises announced during that.

fenners

Might want to avoid the official Dominion IOS/website game for a bit.

Don't forget their ridiculously poor security programming. List of flaws found so far (from F.DS)

1. Passwords are sent in plain text (so don't do this on public wifi folks)
2. javascript in the chat lobby isn't escaped - so you can execute JS on everyone elses machines
3. the game server doesn't validate messages from the client - so you can do things like play bridges from the supply that you don't own - or just buy colonies without enough money for them.
4. full game state is sent to your client - so you can see whats in your opponents hand

That's downright shoddy,sloppy & a massive possible security hole right there, especially if they're expecting people to use their FB logins... No way would I be thinking of giving them money right now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Blood Bowl Team Manager expansion incoming Q4

*does the Happy Dance*

Board & Base ‏@BoardandBase
"Sudden Death" announced as an expansion to Blood Bowl: Team Manager. Will include 3 new teams and a new league.

The three teams are Vampires, Undead and Dark Elves.

octobot

In the display cases outside the FFG booth they had spaces with cards saying new product coming soon. I think they are all filled now.

216136_10152053413495525_346340373_n.jpg

200676_10152053412280525_751240062_n.jpg

380449_10152053411290525_361737189_n.jpg

221894_10152053409295525_2047345377_n.jpg

I think that's all the new stuff. I'll double check tomorrow

Cool to see that Fantasy Flight is distributing Legend of Andor in the US. Always can use more coop games.

I was pleasantly surprised to see 7 Wonders Cities is now shipping from CSI. CSI is probably happy to finally get my order out of their warehouse.

I was pleasantly surprised to see 7 Wonders Cities is now shipping from CSI. CSI is probably happy to finally get my order out of their warehouse.

They still have to hold my order until November(ish) for the Eclipse expansion. Bastards will probably trick me into adding stuff to it before then.

Ok guys I need some help, I want to step it up And get a dungeon crawl / RPG board game right now my group plays constantly.

Puerto Rico
7 wonders
Last night on earth
Space hulk: death angel
Dominion
Forbidden island

So.. What would you guys recomend? No worries about how complicated it is.

Descent 2.0?
Mage knight?
Castle Ravenloft?
Mansions of madness?

Anything you guys love feel free to let me know.

I am pretty new into games so please help me out.

Keasar

Ok guys I need some help, I want to step it up And get a dungeon crawl / RPG board game right now my group plays constantly.

Puerto Rico
7 wonders
Last night on earth
Space hulk: death angel
Dominion
Forbidden island

So.. What would you guys recomend? No worries about how complicated it is.

Descent 2.0?
Mage knight?
Castle Ravenloft?
Mansions of madness?

Anything you guys love feel free to let me know.

I am pretty new into games so please help me out.
Me and my friends are having a blast with Descent 2.0, they keep nagging me at work now that we should get the group running again (have had a 2 week break). So I thinkt that is a sure buy. :)

Thanks man! One person has to play the creatures in descent correct?

Correct. He's like a Dungeon Master in D&D, but aggressively competing against the players. I also recommend Descent 2.0. We've got an ongoing campaign we've been playing at work, and it's been a blast. I never thought I'd say this about a board game, but the level design is so good!

(Full disclosure: I have Mage Knight on my will-eventually-ship CSI order, and expect I'm going to love it as well, so if you were asking this question a few months from now, I might be recommending that over Descent, but Descent is still a solid purchase).

Just popping in here to say that I recently played Dominion with family, and loved the shit out of it. Might consider buying it, but the people at home just don't care about board games.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I see it's been mentioned, but Descent 2nd is worth it? My friend is at Gen Con and was going to pick it up for me if I want. How pod does it play with just two of us? I don't have a big group to game with...If there are other good campaign-y style games (in the similar light of Runebound, WHQ, Decent 1st, etc), any idea what they are?

MichaelBD

I see it's been mentioned, but Descent 2nd is worth it? My friend is at Gen Con and was going to pick it up for me if I want. How pod does it play with just two of us? I don't have a big group to game with...If there are other good campaign-y style games (in the similar light of Runebound, WHQ, Decent 1st, etc), any idea what they are?
With two players you have the Overlord on one side and the Hero player, who controls two characters, on the other. The game scales to the number of heroes by limiting search counters, number/strength of monsters spawned, etc.

I've played 2 player once with my daughter as I was learning the rules. The more the merrier (as is the case with most games) certainly applies, but we had fun. And it's quick. Super quick. As in the intro scenario took about 20 minutes to play through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom