• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really regret not getting Descent The Road To Legend while it was widely available. Trying to pick it up now...but it's pretty pricey.

Get Sea of Blood. It's RTL but PIRATES. It's also still widely available. It's so much fun and adds a lot of cool stuff to Descent (like ship battles! Islands!) and fixes a bit of RTL (Divine Factor stops one side getting too far ahead of the other and stopping it being fun). Great avatars and dungeon design too.

So played some games I've owned for a while but never actually played finally lol. Cyclades, this was great, now I want to look at the Hades expansion.

Also tried Nightfall. Interesting but fairly complex game when it comes to dbg's. Lot of it is very much like CCG play with it's more competitive nature and the heavy use of effect chains. This one is not easy to pick up like most DBG's as it needs tons of thought into the chain game play so it took a while for the players to really get any type of rythm into the game. Not bad, we liked ideas of it, but it just seemed slow for a DBG.

My group likes 1st ed A LOT more than 2nd. 2nd ed plays faster, and that is a + and -, as we blasted through the campaign very fast and are waiting for new stuff.

Yea Descent 2 is good for just tossing on the table for quick fun. But 1st edition just feels so much more and the campaign system when you get into it just has alot going for it.

Conceptually I'm in love with Descent 2.0. Which is why it's a tragedy the ruleset is so horribly broken and ambiguous. My group has been gaming for about 2 years now - with all sorts of games, heavy and light - and this has got the be the worst rulebook we've used. It's a somewhat competitive game (at least our OL seems to think so) and the never-ending string of ambiguities is actually a source of contention with us (which was probably there to begin with, but Descent really seems to bring it out).

They're all my irl friends, but as a gaming group I give us one more month. =(

TheExodu5

Banned
Get Sea of Blood. It's RTL but PIRATES. It's also still widely available. It's so much fun and adds a lot of cool stuff to Descent (like ship battles! Islands!) and fixes a bit of RTL (Divine Factor stops one side getting too far ahead of the other and stopping it being fun). Great avatars and dungeon design too.

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

I can't stress enough how much you'd rather just get Descent 2.0 (with the built in campaign)

I've been playing Descent 2.0 for the past 2 weeks. I don't like it at all.

Several things I don't like about it so far:

- no exploration
- no puzzles
- combat is too binary (you can do no damage if he rolls high defence, or you can do 6+ damage)
- large monster movement is ridiculous (a large monster can move around a corner in 1 move when it would take 4 moves in Descent 1.0).
- overlord is encouraged to go for the objective instead of attacking player (especially since the death penalty is so low)

For example, take the second scenario we played 2 days ago. We had to defend a commander with 25hp who was summoning knights, yet couldn't move. If the commander dies before he succeeds a skill check for 5 rounds, you lose. It has us starting facing a group of enemies, with 2 ettins in a side passage. The ettins were very far away, but because of how movement around corners works for large monsters, they can both get to him in one turn. After that, it's just luck whether he can survive the onslaught of the 2 ettins or not.

So lets look at our available strategies.

- The obvious one would be to attack the monsters you're facing as you enter the dungeon, right? Nope. If you do that, you might wipe 1-2 of them out, but the ettins can do up up to roughly 10 damage a piece to the knight, so you could lose on the second turn. On an average roll, you'll probably only do 1-2 damage to the ettins, so you can't hope to kill them fast enough to stop them from killing the knight.

- There's only 1 viable tactic: do a double move and spend fatigue with 3 guys to block the passageway. This is completely unituitive. Unless you have characters that can both move and stun the ettins, whether you win or lose will be entirely dependent on whether or not you pick up on this strategy.

Corner to corner LOS is the worst think ever

Corner moving is worse. It's so difficult to block in Descent 2.0 because even large monsters can walk diagonally through anything.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Woo, finally got my Android Netrunner (after it was sent to the other side of Sweden in a error....)!

Going to read up on the rules after work and sleeve all the cards. Hopefully this game doesn't disappoint. Speaking of, if I would like to have a complete set of the cards, do I really have to buy 2 additional core sets?

Definitely not. We bought three sets to share between my friend and I and it's way overkill. Two sets is easily enough. I forget all the singletons but 2x should do you just fine for any of them (people seem to be running 3x Aesop's a lot but that's overkill and that card is overrated imo).

Neverfade

Played Seasons tonight.

A few of the big name video reviewers noted that this plays better with 2 due to less interaction/setbacks and to keep the game from going too long. Granted I only have one play, but this seems fucking crazy. The game was incredibly fast and I totally could have used a bunch more interaction.

That being said, I think there's a solid foundation there and should be more fun with 3 and 4.

Blizzard

Banned
Most recent two games tried:

Kill Dr. Lucky
This game is rather like CLUE in reverse. Dr. Lucky and his dog move around a mansion in a set movement pattern, but different players can play cards (I think that was how it worked) to move Dr. Lucky somewhere specific out of sequence. The goal is to get Dr. Lucky out of sight of other players, out of sight of the dog, attack with the most powerful weapon possible (certain weapons having bonuses in certain rooms), and keep doing it so that you burn away other player's cards (players get cards that let you cause murder attempts to fail, e.g. another player could become "tangled in the furniture").

I liked it.

Sky Traders
This is not a board game, but players lay out a small hex playing area, I suppose sort of like how Survive: Escape from Atlantis works. I doubt it makes much difference. Once the area is laid out, everyone takes turns moving around, picking up garbage from cities, buying and selling resources, dumping garbage, and/or attacking other ships. I ended up in second place mostly because I got lucky and took out someone with a 4x bounty. You get a bounty placed on you if you attack another player's ship, and there are random cards before each turn that can have a bad effect on you. The end of each round around the table is a potentially confusing guild discussion thing, where everyone rolls dice, trades, and tries to influence the price of various goods up and down.

The game suggests a two-minute turn limit and we started trying to use it once we sort of figured the rules out. It still took 4 of us maybe 2-3 hours. I didn't care for it too much, but two of the other players did.

Flynn

Played Seasons tonight.

A few of the big name video reviewers noted that this plays better with 2 due to less interaction/setbacks and to keep the game from going too long. Granted I only have one play, but this seems fucking crazy. The game was incredibly fast and I totally could have used a bunch more interaction.

That being said, I think there's a solid foundation there and should be more fun with 3 and 4.

My four player game didn't feel long. And we were learning it.

Keasar

Definitely not. We bought three sets to share between my friend and I and it's way overkill. Two sets is easily enough. I forget all the singletons but 2x should do you just fine for any of them (people seem to be running 3x Aesop's a lot but that's overkill and that card is overrated imo).

Okay, well the thing is buying even one core pack is really expensive, so I was hoping they would perhaps release a "complement" pack or something that adds all missing cards up to three that doesn't cost 50 dollars.

Ohnonono

Okay, well the thing is buying even one core pack is really expensive, so I was hoping they would perhaps release a "complement" pack or something that adds all missing cards up to three that doesn't cost 50 dollars.

Fantasy Flight never releases packs like that. That being said your options are to stick with one core (which is fine.) Buy a second one (This can make certain builds better but its not near as big a deal as buying 2 of some other FFG LCGs.) or go totally overkill and buy 3. You could argue that if people are running 3 of any singletons from the set they are running a bad deck at this point (Yes even Aesop's.) I have found with LOTR LCG I only got one core and bought a few of the small expansions which were out already and those helped with deck construction more than a second core would have ever. GOT LCG I own 2 core sets cause you pretty much need to. Android I chose to order a second, but If they already had a couple expansions released I would have certainly gotten them first and opted out of the second box.

Keasar

Fantasy Flight never releases packs like that. That being said your options are to stick with one core (which is fine.) Buy a second one (This can make certain builds better but its not near as big a deal as buying 2 of some other FFG LCGs.) or go totally overkill and buy 3. You could argue that if people are running 3 of any singletons from the set they are running a bad deck at this point (Yes even Aesop's.) I have found with LOTR LCG I only got one core and bought a few of the small expansions which were out already and those helped with deck construction more than a second core would have ever. GOT LCG I own 2 core sets cause you pretty much need to. Android I chose to order a second, but If they already had a couple expansions released I would have certainly gotten them first and opted out of the second box.

Okay, thanks, think I will go for the datapacks in the future then. :)

50 dollars?

One Core set costs 50 USD or more here in Sweden, shipping included.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

50 dollars?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Dammit, not but 6 months after I offload the original net runner cards (starter box and a few expansions) I've had for DECADES that game is now the hotness! Damn you FFG! :)

Infiltration is a blast, nice filler game like kings of Tokyo and epic spell wars.

Jonesing hard for the x-wing game, visions of replicating old tie fighter vs xwing video game missions dance in my head. Gotta whip up a bunch of gray storage containers, assault gunboats (I'm sure these will be out in wave 3 or 4) and star destroyer flying bridges with the shield globes as targets :)

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Now that I have the core set and one of each expansion, I packed up all of my X-Wing miniatures into a plano box like I saw suggested on BGG. I sort of wish the cannons on the X-Wing were a bit more sturdy. Even though everyone using the same box is saying that it works fine, I am terrified the cannons are going to snap off if I jostle the box too hard.

I've yet to play my copy of Netrunner but does the core set play two players?

Game is two player only atm. Will see if FFG comes up with MP rules but it's unlikely as the game was designed for 2 and usually when they have done MP rules in other LCGs.... it's been pretty lackluster in implementation and just really tacked on with no real testing since these games are not made for it.

yep, two sides, factions and neutral cards (to integrate into factions to make legal decks) for each side

Game is two player only atm. Will see if FFG comes up with MP rules but it's unlikely as the game was designed for 2 and usually when they have done MP rules in other LCGs.... it's been pretty lackluster in implementation and just really tacked on with no real testing since these games are not made for it.

Thanks guys! I was asking incase I needed my buddy to buy his own set to even play with me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep definitely not. It's a great 2p game straight out of the box. Only thing is if Runner or Corp wants to switch factions, you just have to swap the neutrals out into the new faction. Easy.

Flynn

Yeah, says it is highly recommended to start with that, but even so, still quite a lot.

I hate to say this but it is worth, while you're reading the introductory rules, to set it up by yourself and kind of go through a turn or so solo so you know what's up.

Petrie

Banned
Spent the evening at the new con Queen City Conquest in Buffalo. Played Descent 2nd edition, and was amazed that in 4 hours we got through 3 scenarios. It's definitely streamlines, and I did miss not knowing what's beyond each door, but otherwise, so much better.

The set the guy running it has was absolutely beautiful. Dungeon tiles cast from resin and painted absolutely beautifully. Got his contact info and might pay whatever I have to for a similar set. It really, really added so much to the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Whoo Netrunner tournament here in Santa Clara was tons of fun. Glad it was unofficial because it's really easy to make mistakes in that game with forgetting abilities, missing clicks, etc. but nobody cared (myself included) and it was super chill and fun to play with a bunch of new people.

Have to say I'm loving my Criminal and Haas-Bioroid decks a ton, and made a few small tweaks based on some real experience today. For one, my Crim deck (which was actually perfect on the day) had only a single Code-Gate breaker, which is super dangerous but I was able to skate by thanks to Special Order and Inside Job. Also because no one noticed I run really light on Breakers in my deck, mostly relying on those two cards instead (both x3). Desperado is also crazy underrated by all the people who just swap in Toolbox. Got like 20+ credits in one game from it.

Got Netrunner fever bad. Really wanted to play the guy who was undefeated but had to bail. Fact is my Haas-Bioroid I can easily jackpot (Archer, Tollbooth) and beat anyone regardless of skill differential. Which is why I like it. :D

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I hate to say this but it is worth, while you're reading the introductory rules, to set it up by yourself and kind of go through a turn or so solo so you know what's up.

Yep, I play almost every game solo before I try to teach it.

Anyway, my girlfriend was visiting me this weekend out in my secluded temporary housing, so I put it a CSI order of stuff I thought we'd enjoy.

LOTR LCG - we enjoyed this. It's a bit more complicated than I think an LCG should be, but now that we know it I think it'll be more enjoyable next time. We both love the theme.

Small World - really liked this. We had fun 1v1 and I can only imagine more players would be better. May have to pick up a couple of the little expansions for this. And what's really great is that this game is simple enough to teach to casuals but also stands up to tougher scrutiny pretty well.

Battles of Westeros - I've never played any Battlelore games or even any real War games. But we enjoyed the shit out of this. Being ASOIAF fans is probably a necessity, but I feel it holds up well as a game too. It felt pretty well balanced throughout our first battle. I'll likely end up with one or two of these expansions too.

Stooge, not sure if you heard yet, but u got a shout out on the latest Weekend Confirmed podcast during the Finishing Moves segment, last 20 min

Neverfade

Sorry about the delays to my iOS Le Havre players. I'm not liking asynchronous LH at all. Far too in depth of a game to spread out like this. Ugh.

Foxix Von

Holy crap! Netrunner is out already? When did this happen? I asked around my local game shop to see if they had a date on it not more than 3 weeks ago. I was told not to expect it any time soon =/

I haven't gotten a chance to play my Netrunner yet but I used the bags from Agricola (I use a tackle box tray for Agricola now) So now each faction has its own bag so all I have to do is grab the neutral cards and go. I'm pretty excited to start playing.

Keasar

Mage Knight rules question: I am a little confused over the combat. Once combat is initiated, I take it I dont draw new cards, but what would happen if the player doesnt have enough attack to kill the creature he is fighting? And after the attack phase, does the combat start over from phase 1 or is it over? Are new cards drawn?

Edit: Checked the rulebook for clarification and if I am not completely wrong, it seem to mention for instance that "rampaging enemies stays in place". So I guess that combat is over after the attack phase?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Holy crap! Netrunner is out already? When did this happen? I asked around my local game shop to see if they had a date on it not more than 3 weeks ago. I was told not to expect it any time soon =/

duuuude ... you guys are missing out.

my weekend board-gaming activity consisted of:
-deck-tweaking & testing out new decks
-tournament
-further deck-tweaking, creation of anarch deck, and testing out tweaks and anarch

the deckbuilding part is really nicely set up -- there's room for creativity but with influence limits you don't just have to explore a ridiculous amount of possible combos.

i'm probably actually going to try to set up a little informal tournament down here next month

Foxix Von

duuuude ... you guys are missing out.

my weekend board-gaming activity consisted of:
-deck-tweaking & testing out new decks
-tournament
-further deck-tweaking, creation of anarch deck, and testing out tweaks and anarch

the deckbuilding part is really nicely set up -- there's room for creativity but with influence limits you don't just have to explore a ridiculous amount of possible combos.

i'm probably actually going to try to set up a little informal tournament down here next month

Not intentionally, I had been hassling my local game store for a release date for ages =/ I'm basically done shopping there. My girlfriend and I are HUGE fans of the original Netrunner. I've still got like 13 sealed booster packs lying around, and several decks. It's really good to hear that it turned out well though.

I'm just really angry at the store owner for not having his shit together =/ Really, really wish I had more options to shop from around where I live. I'm so excited to get this, the problem is finding a place that carries it around here. I seriously don't want to wait around for shipping.

Not intentionally, I had been hassling my local game store for a release date for ages =/ I'm basically done shopping there. My girlfriend and I are HUGE fans of the original Netrunner. I've still got like 13 sealed booster packs lying around, and several decks. It's really good to hear that it turned out well though.

I'm just really angry at the store owner for not having his shit together =/ Really, really wish I had more options to shop from around where I live. I'm so excited to get this, the problem is finding a place that carries it around here. I seriously don't want to wait around for shipping.

Is your shop in the US?

Ohnonono

Pretty rad game weekend. Taught some people Netrunner. Got to play less than I wanted to but that was fine, because I played some Dungeon Runner (dexterity dice bouncing game) with a big group of rad people and had an absolute blast. Also had a pretty much unused Marvel Vs. Capcom TE Fight Stick for 360 that I never used. My local store owner who is a rad dude is building a room for people to play games in so I gave it to him, and he insisted on giving me games for it. I now own X-wing with all current expansions and an extra TIE Fighter. Very fun game, very smooth playing and I am a SW geek so it was awesome to get that stuff.

So this week I am getting a group together to play the original Android. I got it in a trade months ago but was never able to get it to the table due to length and complexity. Now with Netrunner on people's brain a couple guys from my group are now motivated to try out the original boardgame. We all read through the rules and it seems fairly convoluted. There are a number of ways to gather VPs and there a couple systems working all at once. It seems like an interesting game and from what I read it's ambitious and is a love it or hate it game. Anybody else play it? Any thoughts about it?

I hated Android hehe.

Just so much about it just didn't click and the theme it tries to portray, to me just didn't feel like it was there. None of us in our group liked it and we just kinda never wanted to play it again. I can't even pinpoint what was wrong with it, but it just felt like everything was needlessly complex and the whole point of the game was iffy.

Keasar

Been playing a few rounds of Netrunner and I absolutely love it. :D

Quick question: On the icebreaker card Crypsis it says "Pay 1 Credit: +1 Strength", is that strength permanent? It sounds too awesome (apart from the "trash if no virus counters" part).

Been playing a few rounds of Netrunner and I absolutely love it. :D

Quick question: On the icebreaker card Crypsis it says "Pay 1 Credit: +1 Strength", is that strength permanent? It sounds too awesome (apart from the "trash if no virus counters" part).

Basic rule of thumb in CCG style games. Any effect resolves at end of the turn unless it involves counters which denote permanancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom