• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

I am interested what everyone else says but I remember reading that you can't take an action until other actions are resolved and that would include runs right?

I believe the only things you can use during a run are Paid Abilities on cards you already have active.

Sounds reasonable. Was thinking since for instance the Shaper has a card that he can use to change the Subtype of a ICE. Sounded logical that you could use it on a encountered ICE.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You can't use any actions (paid or regular) that require clicks to interrupt other in-process actions:

"Whenever the Corporation[/Runner] spends clicks on one of these actions, he is considered to be taking an action and cannot take another action until the current action fully resolves."

"Triggering [ Abilities
Some cards have abilities with trigger costs that require the Corporation to spend one or more clicks. These abilities list the [ icon in their trigger cost, and the Corporation can trigger these abilities only during his Action phase."

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Whoo, all confirmed for BGG!

Now here's hoping they have a Netrunner tournament. It's a bummer FFG doesn't have more of a presence at that awesome con.

How's blood bowl team manager?

Astro I think I've seen you post about it around here.

Blood Bowl TM is excellent. I got it for my group, and even though there was some hesitation (they aren't generally "football guys") they got really into it and we play it at least once a month now. Can't wait for the expansion!

fenners

Whoo, all confirmed for BGG!

Woohoo!

Now here's hoping they have a Netrunner tournament. It's a bummer FFG doesn't have more of a presence at that awesome con.

Historically, it hasn't been big enough for FFG to have much of a presence, nor "retail-y" enough, if that makes sense - there's been no concept of a dealer room & there's almost always been a 'preferred' online retailer that dominates the show (thoughthammer or Funagain). The publisher presence is relatively low key too in the grand scheme of things, with 'booths' being a couple of tables thrown together & some demo copies.

I'm expecting this year to be different on that account with the growth in space & numbers. I'd love FFG to come along too, even if it's lower key than Gencon/origins.

Petrie

Banned
Blood Bowl TM is excellent. I got it for my group, and even though there was some hesitation (they aren't generally "football guys") they got really into it and we play it at least once a month now. Can't wait for the expansion!

How is it for big "football guys"?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah I think football fans would enjoy it just for the cheesy hilarity of some of the abilities and players, and the fun of "tackling" and tripping and the like. Theme in this game is really awesome and it's a genuinely funny game imo both in theme and mechanics of some of the characters.

But it's not a sim by any stretch nor does it bear any resemblance to real football mechanically.

Petrie

Banned
Yeah I think football fans would enjoy it just for the cheesy hilarity of some of the abilities and players, and the fun of "tackling" and tripping and the like. Theme in this game is really awesome and it's a genuinely funny game imo both in theme and mechanics of some of the characters.

But it's not a sim by any stretch nor does it bear any resemblance to real football mechanically.

I figured. Most of my group are fantasy football players and such so I was curious about the appeal.

So finally getting to sit down and read Le Havre rulebook. Fuck this shit, it's just as bad as Agricolas rules. I'm gonna need a video or something cause I'm sure it's simple just like Agricola turned out once you figured it out.

Neverfade

It's even simpler.

On your turn:

Add to offer space the two goods on the tile you moved to and either:

Take everything from an offer space

OR

Use a building (one of these is mandatory).

In addition to your compulsory action you MAY buy a building in the proposed building piles or a building already built by town for its cost OR sell a building you own for half of it's worth.

That's seriously 95% of it. Brush up on the other rules (can't voluntarily take loans, feed at the end of the round, when to harvest/not harvest or when town builds next building) and done. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Neverfade

Also, we played Cards Against Humanity. Strangely enough, the combo that had us cracking up the most was something about Salvador Dali painting a picture of a bowl of soup that's too hot.

It's subtle.

Anyone...? :p

Last night was the big Android night. Before we played the big game my friend brought over Netrunner and we played that while we were waiting for the other people to show up. I ended up winning as a runner by top decking an agenda card out of his R&D. He had kept it protected with a piece of Ice but he chose not to res it in the hopes that it wasn't an agenda card. It was a lucky draw but I was already 2 points away from a win anyway so it was only a matter of time. It's a fun game and I glad at least someone from my group has it because I don't think it's something I would get to play without my core game group.

So now the big game for the night, Android. Android is a beast. The mechanics are simple but they clash with each other. There are a number of different systems to keep track of and it's pretty overwhelming when you first start out. We played with 5 and in retrospect was kind of a mistake. The game is long, really long, and with 5 new players it took a while for us to get our footing. I would say it took us two hours to get through the first couple rounds. Most of that time was spent fumbling around the board trying to figure out what is the best way to go about doing stuff. "Do I draw cards, whose card should I draw, will I follow up on a lead, should I place a piece of evidence or expose a piece of the conspiracy, or should I play a card instead?" It's a lot of stuff running through your head and trying to piece everything together is daunting. However, once we had a few rounds under our belt the game began to flow a little bit better. In the end we finished the game in just over 5 hours. The biggest knock I can give it is the downtime in a five player game is interminable. We routinely had to wait 20 minutes between turns and it wasn't because of AP. All of us moved at a decent clip it's just the game does a poor job of including players when it's not your turn. In the end I thought it was an interesting game. Not great but good enough to play every once in a while. When or if I ever get this to the table again, I think I'll make sure it's either a 3 or 4 player game. I think the game's sweet spot may be 3 or 4 players max, 5 was just too much.

Flynn

It's even simpler.

On your turn:

Add to offer space the two goods on the tile you moved to and either:

Take everything from an offer space

OR

Use a building (one of these is mandatory).

In addition to your compulsory action you MAY buy a building in the proposed building piles or a building already built by town for its cost OR sell a building you own for half of it's worth.

That's seriously 95% of it. Brush up on the other rules (can't voluntarily take loans, feed at the end of the round, when to harvest/not harvest or when town builds next building) and done. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Yeah. It really is this simple. DL the app and play once and you'll know mostly how to play apart from some of the little aforementioned rules.

Pepboy

Yay, BGG CON Confirmed! This will be my first boardgame convention, really looking forward to all the different games and people. I might even try bringing a prototype of a game I've been toying with (that's allowed, right?). Looking forward to meeting fellow gaffers as well.

I'm also looking for advice on how to trim a large CSI order. Here's my cart:

• Cash'N Guns -- Seems like a fun party game that is usually out of print, but I do already own Revolution and Bang, so...
  • Kingsburg -- Played and enjoyed. Was holding off for the iOS app but seems to be development hell.
  • X-Wing Core Set -- Based on word-of-mouth. I'm not sure if it's my type of game but it's only $20 so I thought I'd try it out?
  • Flash Point -- I have a fair number of co-op games (pandemic, Forbidden Isle; Ghost Stories + Elder Signs on iPad). But a new co-op might be fun, and some people seem to prefer this to the others?
  • Kingdom Builder -- Based on gameplay videos, and how simplistic the rules are, should be good for friends who want to start playing right away?
  • Catacombs -- The physics/flick aspect interests me
  • Mage Knight -- Buying only for solo games, there's no way I'd ever get people to learn the rules. But I watched about 2 hours of gameplay on youtube, and it seemed to be a decent solo game.

Any thoughts? Here's the rest of my collection for context. I also have an outstanding order at CSI that's delayed because of pre-orders:

Netrunner Core
JAB: Real Time Boxing
Smash Up
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery
Death Angel Expansions

Cut the X-Wing core set. Great game but the core set alone is not alot of fun and you will get bored of it quick. Point of it is just a starter to get you to buy more miniatures and expand with future waves, so it becomes very pricey.

Pepboy

I've this one. It's really fun and really good BUT it's fugly and you need friends who are into the fantasy setting, otherwise it'll never hit the table.

Cut Catacombs and put that money in a jar labeled "save for a hilinski crokinole board".

Thanks, cut! Neverfade -- Funny enough, I was just looking at crokinole boards... there are a couple of makers, but is Hilinski considered the best? BGG also seems to talk about "Muzzies".

Cut the X-Wing core set. Great game but the core set alone is not alot of fun and you will get bored of it quick. Point of it is just a starter to get you to buy more miniatures and expand with future waves, so it becomes very pricey.

Also cut! I realized that X-Wing was not going anywhere, so I can always play it at BGG Con and decide if that's something I will enjoy or actually get to the table.

I also dropped Kingdom Builder because it seems like it's often in print and I'll have a lot of games to play this month. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Neverfade

Muzzies are fine, but if you're getting it shipped to USA then you're going to pay just as much as you would for a Hilinski. There's something about a couple of ol' rusty guts who just have a passion and pour their free time into hand crafting these boards. I can't recommend Hilinski enough, it's immaculate, and I've never seen anyone say anything to the contrary about them.

I dunno. I really like Catacombs because of the theme. Plus the back and forth between a group vs. the DM in a dexterity match makes it interesting for me.

I like it a lot too, even got the three expansions, but it's an ugly game and the theme doesn't appel to everyone. I love it, wish I could get it to the table more often.

Other cheaper/simpler games to satisfy that flicking need are elk fest and caveman curling.

Neverfade

You'd think as much as Fun Again games charges they could afford a web design that doesn't look like the toy section of a 92 Sears catalog.

Xater

It's time again for....

Xater's Spiel board game buying service 2k12

I am going to Spiel in Essen again this year and just like two years ago I will buy any game you guys want to get. I will not take any extra money the game prices with shipping is enough. Should any of the games end up being cheaper I will give any left over back. Last time I used PayPal and I guess that's probably the most convenient way to do this again.

So what do I need from you?

- A list with the games you want so I can figure out how much the shipping will most likely cost.

- the money up front because I don't think I can bank roll all games by myself

- You should be at least done with your list by October 11th which is exactly a week before I will go.

- We will handle all this stuff via PM, so check those regularly.

If you have any doubts about me just ask Neverfade, I think everything worked out fine the last time.

Any further questions? Just ask.

Update:

This update is about shipping costs. I will send your package through DHL. Generally only the weight of it is important so most likely these three scenarios apply if your are from the US:

Package up to 2kg: 16,90€
Package up to 5kg: 36€
Package between 5kg and 10kg: 47€

So yeah I know it's expensive but there really is no way around it.

Pepboy

It's time again for....

I am going to Spiel in Essen again this year and just like two years ago I will buy any game you guys want to get. I will not take any extra money the game prices with shipping is enough. Should any of the games end up being cheaper I will give any left over back. Last time I used PayPal and I guess that's probably the most convenient way to do this again. (...)

Wow, that's extremely generous of you! I don't know enough about what's being shown at Spiel, but maybe that's a good thing.

In other news, I made the mistake of watching FFG's X-Wing (excellent) tutorial video. Now I really want to invest the 65 dollars and get all the miniatures, though I'm going to sleep on it.

But I'm thinking even if I rope in most of my friends and attend the FLGS game night, I could see excess demand. Maybe I could create "solo" rules for X-Wing? I'm thinking of setting up a couple of coffee cups as "laser turrets" that always shoot at the player regardless of direction, but suck at shooting (only roll 2 hit dice at normal range and convert one hit to a miss or one critical to a regular). Then throw in an abundance of tie fighters who decide movement randomly (blind spin the wheel). If the tie fighter has the player in sight, he shoots. Tie fighters don't use any actions or use them randomly with die roll, and if you selected an impossible maneuver (e.g. red arrow when he's still stressed) just respin.

Neverfade

It's time again for....

I am going to Spiel in Essen again this year and just like two years ago I will buy any game you guys want to get. I will not take any extra money the game prices with shipping is enough. Should any of the games end up being cheaper I will give any left over back. Last time I used PayPal and I guess that's probably the most convenient way to do this again.

So what do I need from you?

- A list with the games you want so I can figure out how much the shipping will most likely cost.

- the money up front because I don't think I can bank roll all games by myself

- You should be at least done with your list by October 11th which is exactly a week before I will go.

- We will handle all this stuff via PM, so check those regularly.

If you have any doubts about me just ask Neverfade, I think everything worked out fine the last time.

Indeed, I can vouch for Xater. Got my games so fast you'd think Essen was in the States. Placing my order momentarily!

what are your opinions on the lord of the rings LCG?

my group is loving netrunner and getting back into magic and a co-op LCG seems cool.

Loved my first couple games of LOTR. Then it got boring really fast. I would only suggest it if you really like the deck building aspect. I found deck building in LOTR to be kind of tedious, but the expansion decks help quite a bit. I just don't think it's great right out of the box. I'm sure others will have the opposite opinions from me, though.

Loved my first couple games of LOTR. Then it got boring really fast. I would only suggest it if you really like the deck building aspect. I found deck building in LOTR to be kind of tedious, but the expansion decks help quite a bit. I just don't think it's great right out of the box. I'm sure others will have the opposite opinions from me, though.

Yea opposite for me here lol. We love the game but we like the coop deck building aspect. Issue we have with other LCG's is that it's competitive games you build decks alone while with LOTR the deck building is generally a team effort.

I like playing games, not setting them up, so I'm pretty cold on deck building in general for anything other than competitive games.

The randomness of the enemy deck is pretty extreme sometimes too. There are times when the shadow cards make the game impossible to the point where you might as well just reshuffle after two turns.

I also don't like playing a scenario more than once because for me the fun is the surprise. Min-maxing decks after you know what to expect feels like cheating.

I like playing games, not setting them up, so I'm pretty cold on deck building in general for anything other than competitive games.

The randomness of the enemy deck is pretty extreme sometimes too. There are times when the shadow cards make the game impossible to the point where you might as well just reshuffle after two turns.

I also don't like playing a scenario more than once because for me the fun is the surprise. Min-maxing decks after you know what to expect feels like cheating.

Describes most coop games, you always have major randomness that can lock your team out, and you replay with your knowledge. The only difference is that its a constantly changing game due to new scenarios they add on regular basis. Some coop games become stale after so many plays and learning the best strategies.

Deck building in ccg/lcgs is part of the game. Some people spend hours and much more time building decks for their games than actual matches... and they love it. Its not for everyone of course. Some folks hate the whole deck building aspect in all styles of card games though while they like the core game.

mercviper

Played some Netrunner over the weekend, as well as a one-shot in Descent v2. Both are pretty good.

Netrunner was my friend's copy and we only played with the basic corps and runners, but I really enjoyed it and the different playstyles that each deck provides. Running with virus counters was really interesting and I like the pressure it puts on a corps to spend their whole turn wiping out all the counters. The green deck was also nice because of the added economy her cards + ability gives you. Magnum Opus providing unlimited click for two money actions + her innate ability to reduce costs of the first installment are really good considering how money-starved both decks can get. Anyway, I can't wait for my copy to get in now and start deck-building. It had been sitting in a pre-order I setup for the Eclipse expansion from CSI, but I sent in an email last night to swap with my Spartacus pre-order so I can get it faster. :x

Descent was pretty good too. I haven't played the original, but I enjoyed that we were able to run a session in about an hour. We ran the first encounter of two in the scenario that a vampire lady crashes some baron's party and tries to kidnap him, and only stopped because it was 3am and people needed to go home. Would've loved to play more and in more of a continuous campaign setting too. One gripe I had with the encounter was that even if we saved all the guests available in the mansion, we would still have a chance to NOT save the baron, but it didn't matter because we still rolled low enough to save him after only rescuing two guests.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
We love the deck building aspect *shrug*. Usually don't but because LOTR is a coop game, we make deck building a group experience where we tune our decks together and find it fun especially when keep getting the new cards in. It usually is a turn off for everyone else for other competitive LCG's since they don't have their own cards or time to really focus on building decks on their own time to play. We like Warhammer Invasion and the Game of Thrones LCG's, but the whole deck building in those games turns off the other players as they didn't inveset in their own cards and get stuck with decks I built... which might not work out for everyone. LOTR being coop makes it easier for one person to buy the cards and just getting together to play n build.

Well, yeah. Plenty of people dig the deck building. But if you don't like it, it would be nice to have a resource providing you pre-made decks tailored to each specific scenario.

If you like deck building for LOTR so much you could even contribute :)

It's time again for....

I don't want a game but I would be really interested to see a picture of the
Power Grid UK and Ireland expansion map (specifically the Irish side).
There's no images up yet on BGG.

Well, yeah. Plenty of people dig the deck building. But if you don't like it, it would be nice to have a resource providing you pre-made decks tailored to each specific scenario.

If you like deck building for LOTR so much you could even contribute :)

Heh don't think I ever keep specific decks for scenarios made up, we just play with what we got with players usually focusing on a specific deck type (healing, travel, combat, etc). Deck building really is often just swapping a couple cards in and out depending on what is needed but it's always so informal. I don't think a person needs to really make a new deck for every scenario either, if you got a team of decks made up that all can handle a bit of everything, things rock. Do have a nice combat oriented Eagle themed deck made up. Lots of birdies to fight and take your hits.

mercviper

So I've been bitten by the netrunner bug pretty bad, and my copy still isn't here yet lol. Having a big SNAFU with CSI. I asked to swap 2 items around (netrunner and spartacus) so I wouldn't have to wait for a pre-order to ship out, and they somehow added an extra eclipse expansion to my second order as well. Plus the orders look confusing now because they show a total price that includes items at 0 quantity. Oh well. Emailing back and forth with them to sort it out and I don't need it now now, so it's all good.

Anyway, after a weekend of netrunner I started thinking of a multiplayer variant to play with more than 2 people. The best thing I could come up with was a tag-team of runner & corp trying to steal agendas from a rival runner & corp tag-team while advancing their own. My version was pretty simple, each team needs a total of 10 agenda points, with slight interaction in that the corp could 'fund' the runner's actions by spending a click to transfer 2 bits from their account to the runners.

However, as I was fleshing this idea out, I read about "The Big Sellout" via bgg and googled it to find http://www.darkpact.de/netrunner/variants/theBigSellOut.html! Fully fleshed out rules for the very scenario I was creating. Mind you, this is for the original Netrunner, but I think the rules can be tweaked really easily for the current one. Basically the corp treats their runner as another central server, placing ICE to defend their runner. If a successful run is completed against a "runner server", the attacking runner can then place a tag on the runner, or pay the install cost of a program to steal that program from the runner. You can transfer funds as well, though I'm not necessarily a fan of the 1 to 3 exchange bonus the rules list for corp to runner. And in an emergency the runner themselves can pay to temporarily rez ICE defending their server. Game ends when a total of 11 agenda points are scored on a team, a corp runs out of cards, or if a corp's runner flatlines.

Some of the things I would change at first glance:
Corp action to transfer funds to a runner at a 2:2 rate per click (original rules allow transfer of 1 to X funds in ONE action)
Runner action to transfer funds back to corp at a 1:1 rate per click
Runner has to pay full cost to temporarily rez an ICE defending his server.
Runner can also choose to temporarily rez an ICE defending another corp server, again at full cost.

These changes would be all pending playtesting, of course, but I think overall it's a pretty neat variant to try out for a bigger multiplayer Netrunner game.

yamo

Just placed an order on Cosmic Encounter and the first expansion. Never played it before but looking forward to it after watching some reviews. Merchant of Venus is the only game left on my list of games to buy this year now!

No posts yesterday?!?

anyways.

I picked up Agricola - farmers of the moor a few days ago for super cheap.

is this expansion any good?
I only really played it a couple of times. It's makes the game way more complicated and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. If you play don't play with everything or else you are in a world of hurt. Pick and choose which pieces that sound the best to you and play with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom