• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Damn, that is tempting. And there are tie advanced for $6.50, hard to resist picking up a few more! I'm saving all my scratch for the Up Front kickstarter, $125 for like 2300 cards! It just boggles the mind.

Plus I have a square box game sitting wrapped under the tree. Is it GOT 2nd ed, Spartacus, Merchants of Venus? I can't tell!!!!!

So the amazon reviews of a "1st ed play trying out this 2nd ed" complained that an overlord has a strategy that will win 100% of every scenario. Any replies about that? Sounds game breaking.

ParityBit

So the amazon reviews of a "1st ed play trying out this 2nd ed" complained that an overlord has a strategy that will win 100% of every scenario. Any replies about that? Sounds game breaking.

Neve read amazon reviews with games. Read boardgamegeek and IF there is an issue, it will be explained/ fixed rules there.

I bought netrunner when it was $18. This is making me want a second copy blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

also descent. ok ok. ok. ok. What about decent vs D&D board game thing. Surely I don't want descent and would want a D&D thing if that goes on sale.

ParityBit

I bought netrunner when it was $18. This is making me want a second copy blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

also descent. ok ok. ok. ok. What about decent vs D&D board game thing. Surely I don't want descent and would want a D&D thing if that goes on sale.

I haven't played yet so I can't tell you. The fact you have one overlord is cool and people seem to love it too. I mean ... 35 bucks .... !!

Cheech

Bought the Castle Panic expansion - saving it for a Christmas gift for my 8 YO. Have to admit I'm more excited to try it out than he probably is, heh.

Only good thing about the DnD board games are that they are full coop, otherwise I find their mechanics to be pretty shitty. Though DnD is more of a dungeon crawler style of game. Descent 2nd edition kind of removed the dungeon crawling aspect for smaller map sized encounter set ups with objectives.

ParityBit

Bought the Castle Panic expansion - saving it for a Christmas gift for my 8 YO. Have to admit I'm more excited to try it out than he probably is, heh.

Lol! It's a great expansion I think .... Makes the game cheat even more!!

I learned never to say "we got this one!" When playing that game.

Neverfade

Just spent 100 + at CSI on LCG shit.

SW core
Netrunner Data Pack 1
Entire Mirkwood cycle of LOtR
Couple of Deck boxes.

What have I done...

LProtag

I finally played Netrunner the last two nights with my roommate.

We both have the core set and the first data pack. Tonight we tried making decks.

I really want another core set, but then again I still have no idea what I'm doing with deck construction.

Blizzard

Banned
Tonight we played Bang!, Cards Against Humanity, and a Tsuro ocean upgrade. Cards Against Humanity is an old known one, of course (and one of the guys mentioned the Christmas update but apparently hadn't ordered it). The other two:

Tsuro ocean expansion thingy: I didn't care for this. We potentially figured out one rule too late, that you're only maybe supposed to roll once and then move ALL the dragons according to that roll, but for most of the game we were rolling for every dragon in play, which also resulted in spawning like every single dragon onto the board. Also, the game has a fancy (traditional?) name for what seems to be a (sea) dragon, and it got pretty tedious hearing it repeated so much when someone was reading the rules. Normal Tsuro is decent, though the random cards mean you may not have much control over your fate, but this version seems to basically just add a lot of dice rolling and a chance that you will be even more randomly instantly killed.

Bang!: I liked it, and it seemed to go over well. The rules seem to describe pretty much all situations in enough detail, and though the game took a bit of time (maybe an hour to read the rules and play?), it seems like it should go faster next time. The big problem we had was that we missed the box in the rules that explained two details: One, the card that lets you make someone discard a card lets you either force them to pick a random one (I guess you blind-pick it from their hand and discard it), OR you choose a card in play in front of them (as in, you can get rid of someone's mustang). Two, the card that lets you draw a card from another player not only lets you blind pick it from their hand (I think), can instead let you draw from their cards in play (as in you can steal their weapon or their mustang). As a result of missing those rules, we had people with lots of great cards so the sheriff and deputy won over the three enemies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Got my shipping notice for Cards Against Humanity to Canada (and the Christmas cards as well) today! -excited-

Angst

Anyone mind telling me what "CSI" is? Everyone seems to use it, but a google search predictably only gives me links to CSI: NY etc :p

I realize this has probably been answered before, but it might be a good idea to put the link to CSI in the OP
and to live up to the "Newcomer friendly title" it would be nice with some working images

On a positive note, I've recently re-discovered board gaming! :)

As a kid I played tons of board games, mostly the usual stuff (Monopoly, 'Bondespelet', Risk, Scrabble etc) but I'm pleased to see that many of the new games have moved away from the never-ending or simple luck-based games. So far I've played Catan and Scrabble, with Ticket to Ride coming up soon. I'll pick up Risk Legacy soon as that seems like a very interesting game.

Ordered Carcassonne and Forbidden Island for the family for christmas. My 6 year old son plays Carcassonne on XBLA so I think he'll enjoy the board game.

Xenon

I ordered Dungeon! today for my Daughter. I remember playing a version of this game when I was a kid. I am excited to try it out with her.

516ueiGwBdL.jpg

Don't know how many of you have young kids but I picked up Monster Chase for my son for Christmas. He got to open it early because of a Christmas party we had over the weekend and we played a couple of rounds. It's a neat spin on the old Memory match game. The idea is you are chasing away monsters that live under your bed, each monster is afraid of a specific toy denoted by a picture in the top of the card. The toys are represented by face down tiles and, like with Memory, you are supposed match the face down tile with the picture on the monster card. Get it wrong you flip over one piece of a three part picture of a monster that acts as a timer. When all three cards are flipped to the opposite side you add another monster. If at any point the monsters completely surround the bed you lose. It's simple and made for kids but it's way more interesting than Memory. It's also cheap too, $12 and it feels pretty durable. I totally recommend it if you have young kids.

mercviper

Hey Stooge, things okay on your end? Seems to me that the Kickstarter community is getting pretty antsy about the Tammany Hall shipping with no update in a while. I hope all is well and I'm sure you're busy but it might be a good idea to check in with people.

Looking at his profile, he hasn't even been on GAF this month. :/

Found this on BGG though. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10808920#10808920 So he's alive and well.

Oh snap, my CSI order that wasn't planned to come until January is coming now. Unexpected gaming pleasure!

Netrunner and the first expansion
Hinterland expansion for dominion
Eclipse Expansion
Glen More

It also looks like they may have accidentally sent me a second Dark Ages Dominion expansion. :\

Slacker

Oh snap, my CSI order that wasn't planned to come until January is coming now. Unexpected gaming pleasure!

Netrunner and the first expansion
Hinterland expansion for dominion
Eclipse Expansion
Glen More

It also looks like they may have accidentally sent me a second Dark Ages Dominion expansion. :\

Glen More has been my surprise pickup of the year. Awesome little game.

Mansions of Madness is $36.79 on Amazon.

I really like the game and thats a great deal, but have to warn anyone again that the game has an insane amount of set up. Last two times I hosted the game, it took me 20-30 minutes to set up the table so it should be set up before hand. Also the game plays quick, a game can be shorter than an hour once people know the rules so the long set up is going to turn off many players. I like the game but it's something you have to plan to play and get set up before folks show up each time.

Neverfade

I was going to add KoT to this last order but its sold out AGAIN at CSI. I still regret getting rid of the first edition, considering how long these reprints take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom