• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurrygil

IIRC, I'm the only Seattlite regular from the thread... I bet we could recruit another player or two from the Seattle-GAF thread for a board game night though. I haven't been to Raygun yet, but I hit up Cafe Mox in Ballard pretty regularly.

Oh that's right non Seattlites. We've got more than one board gaming store/bar.

Oh man, I forgot about Mox!! Haven't been to Card Kingdom in ages, so it totally slipped my mind Mox had opened up a couple of years ago.

Raygun is pretty cool, albeit new and less food/bev focused. Though they DID recently get their beer/wine/ale/mead license!!

GammaRay Games & RayGun Lounge Blog

This needs to happen!

blurrygil

Are there any good mini Kickstarters going on right now? Want to try one out. I know about that big Kingdom Death one but not totally into the theme/boobs.

So I checked this out like, yesterday afternoon.

And it looks simply fantastic!! Even with the darker theme and all, I'm a sucker for co-ops with mildly deep rulesets and details figures. Loving it already. Will likely be dropping my first proper backing for something on KS now, because I really want a game box at the start!

I would back KD if the majority of the stretch goals weren't locked behind the $150 pledge level. A friend is $300 pledged into it already so I'll just play his copy.

The gameplay video explaining the combat also turned me off, the whole resolution of combat seems needlessly long with so many steps involved. Really doesn't seem to be very exciting game at all with how long each attack takes to resolve and a battle can involve a ton of these attack steps to resolve.

And we played again some of the Star Trek TOS deck builder game. Much better balanced game than the previous two Next Gen themed games. Seems they took to heart much of the critique from the first two releases when making this set and it plays much better and just feels like a more balanced dbg. Card pictures used from the show are nice and crisp too since it appears they are using shots from the HD remastered edition of the show while the Next Gen set was done using some really shitty masters it seems and looked blurry.

So got to play fully the new Star Wars LCG. Pretty good stuff so far. The whole balance of the force and the edge battles really create a risk/gamble type of system into the combat that makes it far less predictable than most ccg style combat games. You might have an awesome set up and go in for the kill, only to have the edge battle completely turn the battle around on you. Can see it being annoying for some, but I think it makes for more dynamic battles that aren't so cut and dry, seen some surprising reversals so far.

ParityBit

A made an absolute killing over Xmas for games! My wife got me ...

• Carcassonne The Castle
  • Wasabi!
  • Pirate's Cove
  • Tsuro
  • 7 Wonders
  • Elder Sign

I got her ...
  • Settlers of Catan
  • Catan : Cities and Knights
  • Ticket To Ride - Europe
  • Ticket To Ride 1912 Expansion
    Ticket To Ride: Dice Game

So much game playing to be done!

Edit: I need to get some plasic bags (storage of all the pieces across my various games) Any suggestions as to where to get some? U.S. I was checking Amazon but a "gamer" pack of some sort would be nice so I do not have to worry about the various sizes.

I got Rex: Final Days of the Empire, Lords of Waterdeep, a second core set for X-Wing, and Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients. The Eclipse expansion was a "gift" to myself but whatever.

mercviper

A made an absolute killing over Xmas for games! My wife got me ...

• Carcassonne The Castle
  • Wasabi!
  • Pirate's Cove
  • Tsuro
  • 7 Wonders
  • Elder Sign

I got her ...
  • Settlers of Catan
  • Catan : Cities and Knights
  • Ticket To Ride - Europe
  • Ticket To Ride 1912 Expansion
    Ticket To Ride: Dice Game

So much game playing to be done!

Edit: I need to get some plasic bags (storage of all the pieces across my various games) Any suggestions as to where to get some? U.S. I was checking Amazon but a "gamer" pack of some sort would be nice so I do not have to worry about the various sizes.

I bought a bunch of small plastic bags from Hobby Lobby in their jewelry/craft section. I bet you could also find them in a Michael's or other craft store.

I bought a bunch of small plastic bags from Hobby Lobby in their jewelry/craft section. I bet you could also find them in a Michael's or other craft store.

Yup. Also if have a Container Store near you, it's a treasure trove for board game organizing. They sell so many different containers great for any storage needs and also carry large packs of different sized zip locks

ParityBit

Yup. Also if have a Container Store near you, it's a treasure trove for board game organizing. They sell so many different containers great for any storage needs and also carry large packs of different sized zip locks

Oh great ideas! I will try those stores. Thanks a ton :)

Imma throw in an endorsement for Galaxy Trucker (just in general)! I got it for my brother for Christmas and its fantastically fun. The initial chaos of trying to construct a functional ship out of limited tiles with one hand, the later chaos of running into pirates, meteors, and having huge chunks of you ships blasted off. It's a winner where something is always happening and it managed to hold the interest of my sisters who generally hate board games.

Galaxy-Trucker.jpg

Imma throw in an endorsement for Galaxy Trucker (just in general)! I got it for my brother for Christmas and its fantastically fun. The initial chaos of trying to construct a functional ship out of limited tiles with one hand, the later chaos of running into pirates, meteors, and having huge chunks of you ships blasted off. It's a winner where something is always happening and it managed to hold the interest of my sisters who generally hate board games.

Galaxy-Trucker.jpg

Looks fun. How long was your game?

We've played a few now and each one besides the first (where a lot of things have to be figured out and explained) has taken a little under an hour.

Rhyvven

Neo Member

Galaxy-Trucker.jpg

Read an article yesterday via "Flipboard" (ipad) yesterday and bookmarked this game to check out. It was mentioned along with "Space Alert". I guess the maker (Vlaada Chvatil) of those two has also now released "Mage Knight Board Game". All three seemed interesting.

Still waiting to to make an initial 'first" game purchase that I can play along with my wife and possibly others on our yearly camping trips. I am a video gamer 'by trade' and since they first appeared, but grew up playing 'Quest for the Philosopher's Stone', Axis and Allies, Conquest of the Empire, Broadsides and Boarding Parties, Fortress America and Shogun. For the past couple of decades I have had no 'takers" interested in jumping into the rules and time required to play those - nor the subject matter.

Have a few on my 'wish list', but just seem to keep adding more, rather than pulling the trigger;

Defenders of The Realm
Forbidden Island
Flash Point Fire Rescue
Pandemic

ParityBit

Read an article yesterday via "Flipboard" (ipad) yesterday and bookmarked this game to check out. It was mentioned along with "Space Alert". I guess the maker (Vlaada Chvatil) of those two has also now released "Mage Knight Board Game". All three seemed interesting.

Still waiting to to make an initial 'first" game purchase that I can play along with my wife and possibly others on our yearly camping trips. I am a video gamer 'by trade' and since they first appeared, but grew up playing 'Quest for the Philosopher's Stone', Axis and Allies, Conquest of the Empire, Broadsides and Boarding Parties, Fortress America and Shogun. For the past couple of decades I have had no 'takers" interested in jumping into the rules and time required to play those - nor the subject matter.

Have a few on my 'wish list', but just seem to keep adding more, rather than pulling the trigger;

Defenders of The Realm
Forbidden Island
Flash Point Fire Rescue
Pandemic

I am a camper myself, and my wife and I buy some games specifically for this. Less pieces/bigger pieces the better!

Neverfade

That's a fuckton of co-op. I suggest mixing it up a bit. I'm certainly not the go to guy for co-ops here (I generally don't like them), but a lot of them cover VERY similar territory and are redundant purchases if you ask me.

Example, on your wish list, Forbidden Island, Pandemic, and Defenders are three complexity levels of the same damn game pretty much.

Rhyvven

Neo Member
That's a fuckton of co-op. I suggest mixing it up a bit. I'm certainly not the go to guy for co-ops here (I generally don't like them), but a lot of them cover VERY similar territory and are redundant purchases if you ask me.

Example, on your wish list, Forbidden Island, Pandemic, and Defenders are three complexity levels of the same damn game pretty much.

Agreed....I wouldn't purchase all of them. Most likely one or two at the most and basically a 'pool' from which to choose a co-op game. Leaning towards Defenders as she enjoys the subject matter in other mediums.

Defenders of The Realm
Forbidden Island
Flash Point Fire Rescue
Pandemic
The thing you need to know with Vlaada games is they're all kick in the pants. He makes brilliantly odd games that can be brutal. You spend a good chunk of the game building something brilliant only to watch it get destroyed by some game effect, it's masochistic for sure but fun.

Pandemic, Flash Point, and Forbidden Island are all really accessible games. The nice thing with co-ops is they make it easy to help someone who is struggling with playing the game. Since you all are working together there really isn't any hidden information.

Sasquatch

I mostly lurk this thread (and GAF in General) but I just wanted to share one of the best gaming days that I've ever had.

A friend from out of town was around for the holidays, and since he is the keeper of Twilight Imperium we got five people together to play it. After some rules explanation for the new player, we got started around 1 pm. The game over objective card came out at the earliest point it could, and the game was over. It was only 5pm by that point, so we decided to start another game. The second game went longer, but was done right around 11pm. It was late at that point, but everyone was still up for another game, and I had just received Eclipse from my BGG Secret Santa. So we pulled it out and played that too. We didn't finish until around 2:30am, but it was an amazing day of outer space gaming.

Slacker

Game night last night! Played The Manhattan Project for the first time, which was pretty awesome. Similar in mechanics to Caylus and Stone Age, but with a LOT of interaction with your neighbors.

Also played Carcassonne with three expansions: The Tower, Goldmines, and The Flier. Pretty good combo. The Tower has never been my favorite expansion but with the right group it can be amusing. Definitely made the gold pieces more valuable, as our followers kept getting kidnapped constantly. At the end of the game before final scoring no one had broke 50 points. :p

And another game of Glen More, which may be my group's new favorite.

Celegus

My sister bought Pandemic for my wife and I on Christmas, and it's a ton of fun! I didn't even realize co-op board games like that existed. My wife is extremely non-competetive so that's perfect for us to play together. We've already played like... 6 rounds of it since the 25th? I'm definitely interested in seeing what else is out there that might be similar.

So, I grabbed the Penny Arcade game on iPad for some pass and play with the wife. Is it just the newness of it, or is this the best non-Dominion deckbuilder? I think I like it better than either Thunderstone or Ascension.

Yeah, still comes out a little less expensive than Amazon on the few items I checked. It's neat seeing it recommended then finding out it's next door.

Going to stop by and check it out.

The store kinda sucks really. Most games are not in store and you have to use computers setup in store that just use their website to order anything. Then got to wait as they send someone to the warehouse to pick it out for you.

To note, this is just the Orlando store too, the south Florida location has little of anything and is just a game room to play card games pretty much.

The store kinda sucks really. Most games are not in store and you have to use computers setup in store that just use their website to order anything. Then got to wait as they send someone to the warehouse to pick it out for you.

To note, this is just the Orlando store too, the south Florida location has little of anything and is just a game room to play card games pretty much.

Ah, shame. I'm near the Davie store. Oh well at least I can pick stuff up there. I was kinda hoping for a store stocked with stuff I could look at.

Maitland, Winter Park, or South Florida? I'm close to the two central Florida stores and wouldn't mind finding more gaming buddies.

South Florida. Those other stores are central florida?

Ah, shame. I'm near the Davie store. Oh well at least I can pick stuff up there. I was kinda hoping for a store stocked with stuff I could look at.

South Florida. Those other stores are central florida?

Yea the Davie store has a wall of board games but a very small selection and what sucks about it is that you often can not get to the actual board games since they jam the store full of card gamers that basically go against the display. They can be a bit slower on stocking new stuff too, but if you want the store pick up option it's decent.

Their main location is their Orlando store which has a warehouse basically nearby and where all the orders ship out of for their online store.

blurrygil

Defenders of The Realm
Forbidden Island
Flash Point Fire Rescue
Pandemic

I can give a personal recommendation. However, it's pretty tough for a co-op game, but much more beginner/intermediate friendly that I expected. But feel free to adjts the rules to your liking. We did and it certainly balanced things for the better.

My sister bought Pandemic for my wife and I on Christmas, and it's a ton of fun! I didn't even realize co-op board games like that existed. My wife is extremely non-competetive so that's perfect for us to play together. We've already played like... 6 rounds of it since the 25th? I'm definitely interested in seeing what else is out there that might be similar.

Pandemic is fantastic. And co-ops (particularly dungeon crawlers/RPGs) are a favorite. I'd recommend Defenders of the Realm or Super Dungeon Explore. Arkham Horror is awesome, but very challenging, long (up to 8-10 hrs for one game) and complex.

So, I grabbed the Penny Arcade game on iPad for some pass and play with the wife. Is it just the newness of it, or is this the best non-Dominion deckbuilder? I think I like it better than either Thunderstone or Ascension.

I have to agree with the others and say I wasn't too keen on it. However, I'm not a big deckbuilder fan, in general. But I tried it and just didn't care for it. The board game is even worst, sadly.

Oh, and look what arrived in the mail today! Ordered myself some Amazon sale goodies:

4DA96541-5A3D-4415-82C8-1752C2F2FD44-13164-00000B281CF70FFE.jpg

:-D

What is it with people wanting to turn a game with dice combat into Risk? I was playing Eclipse with this guy and he kept going on and on about how we should just get rid of the turn marker and play until there was only one civ left. It even got to the point where he's criticizing me for going for points using other means than combat. Yet he goes on and on about how he loves the game. Eclipse's combat is a means to an end not its core mechanic. It's a victory point game pure and simple.

It's the same with that guy I play TI against who spent his entire game attacking me. Some people can't be assed to accept that a game is different than what they want it to be. Sorry about the mini-rant but that asshole tonight drove me crazy.

Anybody else dealt with people like that?

Xater

What is it with people wanting to turn a game with dice combat into Risk? I was playing Eclipse with this guy and he kept going on and on about how we should just get rid of the turn marker and play until there was only one civ left. It even got to the point where he's criticizing me for going for points using other means than combat. Yet he goes on and on about how he loves the game. Eclipse's combat is a means to an end not its core mechanic. It's a victory point game pure and simple.

It's the same with that guy I play TI against who spent his entire game attacking me. Some people can't be assed to accept that a game is different than what they want it to be. Sorry about the mini-rant but that asshole tonight drove me crazy.

Thankfully not. Most people I play with are thankful if they have different ways to play a game. Keeps it interesting. How Is Eclipse anyway? I wonder if it is something for my group. The thing is just glancing at the rules it seems rather complex. The people I play with like Power Grid and Agricola but to be hones the basic rules of these games are not all too complex. The complexity comes from all the choices you make.

Also have I missed your impressions of Tzolkin and Antike Duellum?

Well aggressive play in Eclipse can often be key to victory I found. Those who try to be passive and generate points seem to always lose to those who are aggressive.

I don't see a problem with people wanting to be aggressive in either game, as both games fully support combat as a way one can achieve victory. TI especially has races geared towards war and especially objectives that promote a player to be so.

Frankly it helps keep game interesting as nothing I hate more than a game of Eclipse or TI where everyone plays peaceful and respects each others borders. Really boring games. Have had exact reaction to games where players are all opposed to any type of combat even when it's clearly a way to score victory. "oh I don't wan't to piss her off"... proceeds to lose because of that decision.

Rhyvven

Neo Member
I can give a personal recommendation. However, it's pretty tough for a co-op game, but much more beginner/intermediate friendly that I expected. But feel free to adjts the rules to your liking. We did and it certainly balanced things for the better. :-D

Thank you for the insight on DOTR. Have read quite a few similar comments/reviews.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It was a very board game Christmas for me. I got Dominion Prosperity as well as the fantastic Dominion Base Cards upgrade pack. I also got A Few Acres of Snow, Spartacus, a Battles of Westeros house expansion, and Agricola. Finally, my girlfriend got me Storage Wars, largely as a joke since I've seen every episode for some reason. I was shocked to see that the game actually has some interesting mechanics, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

I got Race for the Galaxy for Christmas and played a few hands then promptly bought the first three expansions. What a great game! I will also play my first round of Puerto Rico tonight and am looking forward to that.

Christmas past was typically filled with video games, but this year it was all board games - Dominion Dark Ages and Seaside, Race for the Galaxy (then 3 expansions), Settlers of Catan: Trails to Rails, 7 Wonders + Cities and Leaders. If I can find it today I will also pick up Netrunner. I have Pandemic and Arkham Horror (which we haven't played yet out of sheer intimidation). My wife really enjoys the co-op but we rarely play with more than the two of us. What is a great co-op game? Time investment should be less than 3 hours.

My wife and I went to a boardgame party two weeks ago and got some hands on time with the Bio-terrorist expansion to Pandemic (not awesome).

Thankfully not. Most people I play with are thankful if they have different ways to play a game. Keeps it interesting. How Is Eclipse anyway? I wonder if it is something for my group. The thing is just glancing at the rules it seems rather complex. The people I play with like Power Grid and Agricola but to be hones the basic rules of these games are not all too complex. The complexity comes from all the choices you make.

Also have I missed your impressions of Tzolkin and Antike Duellum?
Eclipse looks intimidating but it's actually a fairly easy game to play. I don't think it's any harder than something like Agricola or Power Grid. The game does most of the heavy bookkeeping for you and you are left to focus on your actions.
Tzolkin is awesome. Deceptively simple game that takes a couple plays to get a good engine going. For your first game you will feel like you are barely holding on but after that strategies become more clear.
Antike Duellum is just what I wanted, a two player Antike. It plays just like the original with just a few tweaks to make it work for two. Antike itself is a rondel game so you are taking one action a turn. The point is to collect leaders which are given for doing certain things. Like, be the first to research a tech or build five cities.
I would recommend both games and I'm glad I picked them up.
Well aggressive play in Eclipse can often be key to victory I found. Those who try to be passive and generate points seem to always lose to those who are aggressive.

I don't see a problem with people wanting to be aggressive in either game, as both games fully support combat as a way one can achieve victory. TI especially has races geared towards war and especially objectives that promote a player to be so.

Frankly it helps keep game interesting as nothing I hate more than a game of Eclipse or TI where everyone plays peaceful and respects each others borders. Really boring games. Have had exact reaction to games where players are all opposed to any type of combat even when it's clearly a way to score victory. "oh I don't wan't to piss her off"... proceeds to lose because of that decision.
Aggression is one thing and I'm cool with that, treating a game designed as one thing as something else is another. The game rewards early combat but if enough combat is done early it becomes less and less enticing to to do combat. At that point you are looking to either defend your high point systems or build things (the monolith) to get you points.

The funny thing is, I was playing the aggressor in the first half of the game and he wasn't. I explored for the first turn then upgraded and attacked ancients as well as my neighbor. He spent most of the game exploring and had only a non-upgraded cruiser or two until the last couple rounds. If I wasn't clear across the board from him I could have easily taken most of his systems.

Petrie

Banned
So I have a pretty large game collection, and we're moving into my girl's parents house for a bit, with the only area to store them being the basement. Anyone in a similar situation have any advice/ideas on keeping them pristine?

I got myself X-Wing miniatures and Zombicide.
X-wing isn't a board game and I guess Zombicide could loosely be classified as one, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I'd love to get my hands on the kickstarter characters for Zombicide but I saw them on ebay for $85 apiece, that's more than the game itself! LOL No thanks.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Eclipse looks intimidating but it's actually a fairly easy game to play. I don't think it's any harder than something like Agricola or Power Grid. The game does most of the heavy bookkeeping for you and you are left to focus on your actions.
Tzolkin is awesome. Deceptively simple game that takes a couple plays to get a good engine going. For your first game you will feel like you are barely holding on but after that strategies become more clear.
Antike Duellum is just what I wanted, a two player Antike. It plays just like the original with just a few tweaks to make it work for two. Antike itself is a rondel game so you are taking one action a turn. The point is to collect leaders which are given for doing certain things. Like, be the first to research a tech or build five cities.
I would recommend both games and I'm glad I picked them up.
Aggression is one thing and I'm cool with that, treating a game designed as one thing as something else is another. The game rewards early combat but if enough combat is done early it becomes less and less enticing to to do combat. At that point you are looking to either defend your high point systems or build things (the monolith) to get you points.

The funny thing is, I was playing the aggressor in the first half of the game and he wasn't. I explored for the first turn then upgraded and attacked ancients as well as my neighbor. He spent most of the game exploring and had only a non-upgraded cruiser or two until the last couple rounds. If I wasn't clear across the board from him I could have easily taken most of his systems.

Funny, I was just going to say it looks intimidating.

Neverfade

So I have a pretty large game collection, and we're moving into my girl's parents house for a bit, with the only area to store them being the basement. Anyone in a similar situation have any advice/ideas on keeping them pristine?

Large Tupperware containers and silica gel?

Or a dozen dehumidifiers?

Damnit cool stuff, putting shit on sale for your sale after you shipped my previous sale order. If your going to have a sale, do it all at once damnit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom