• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BGG has an (unofficial) app that is iOS only, but I think it's just an app for getting to their DB anyway, so if you're looking for something that doesn't rely on reaching the internets, it isn't helpful.

Bururian

Just recently got into Ticket to Ride, and I've been greatly enjoying it. I have most of the expansions except for the new Asia board. I do wish I had more people to play this with.

flyover

Just recently got into Ticket to Ride, and I've been greatly enjoying it. I have most of the expansions except for the new Asia board. I do wish I had more people to play this with.

It's still my go-to game, when I'm not sure exactly what else I feel like -- or if I'm with some people who don't game that often. If by some slim chance you're in the Chicago 'burbs, my wife and I are always up for a few rounds.

Slacker

Ticket to Ride has a very active online community if you want some competitive games over the internets. The iPad version is the best way to get there in my opinion, but barring that I've heard the PC version is good too. It's available on Steam and is on sale for $5 at the moment. Get the 1910 expansion to play the mega game online. Good times.

Xenon

Yea and you can get it online for like $12

Yeah its a great deal. But, I would happily pay more for better quality player pieces. They are just cardboard with another piece of cardboard slotted for the base. If she likes it I will try and get some kind of replacements.

ParityBit

So this weekend I am having another board-game day/night. How I love those!

The only game on the docket thus far is Sentenals of the Multiverse. The rest of the time will be playing some of the usual's, Dominion/Stone Age/Castle Panic/Pandemic/etc.

I have a couple of games I have not played (NP), or not in a long time which I need to read up on so I can explain rules to people. Help me pick ONE for this session. I will have 4 definite and maybe up to 6. But choose the game based on 4! :)

• Space Alert (NP)
  • Traumfabrik
  • Ra
  • Amun-Re
  • Medici
  • Robo Rally (NP)
  • Blood Bowl (NP)
  • Race for the Galaxy

Thanks!

Xater

Just got my King of Tokyo expansion and I think the controlled evolution variant looks interesting. Makes the game somewhat more tactical.

Hey guys, Smash Up kind of sucks. The decisions you need to make are not that interesting and for a game as light at it is it can kind of drag. I'd rather play something like Blood Bowl or the vastly underrated Hemloch which have a similar feel to Smash Up but with more strategic depth and interesting card interactions.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Has anyone played Africana? I bought it as a Christmas present for my brother (I had no idea what to get, but he's going to Africa next year and I liked the box so thought what the hell), and was wondering what are the odds of him enjoying it if he ever actually plays it? I don't think he plays many, if any, board games.

Hey guys, Smash Up kind of sucks. The decisions you need to make are not that interesting and for a game as light at it is it can kind of drag. I'd rather play something like Blood Bowl or the vastly underrated Hemloch which have a similar feel to Smash Up but with more strategic depth and interesting card interactions.

We enjoyed it, the randomness of it is nice, but yea the only negative we had was that the game can take a while. If it was a bit faster I think it would play better. Consider playing it with a smaller point goal.

Artadius

Smash Up is only slightly better than Munchkin... which is to stay it is horrible.

Lots of new games have arrived for various folks in my group including:
  • Star Trek: Fleet Captains (+ Romulan Expansion)
  • Descent Lair of the Wyrm Expansion
  • Legendary
  • Wrath of Ashardalon
  • Agents of SMERSH
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights
  • Super Dungeon Explore
  • Kill the Overlord
  • Escape the Temple
  • Tanto Cuore (lol)

... so should be busy quite a bit the next couple of months. We're also going to try out the new Star Wars PnP RPG Edge of the Empire.

For those of you looking for a great squad level solo wargame for WWII, find a copy of Ambush! on Ebay if you can, it is superb!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So this weekend I am having another board-game day/night. How I love those!

The only game on the docket thus far is Sentenals of the Multiverse. The rest of the time will be playing some of the usual's, Dominion/Stone Age/Castle Panic/Pandemic/etc.

I have a couple of games I have not played (NP), or not in a long time which I need to read up on so I can explain rules to people. Help me pick ONE for this session. I will have 4 definite and maybe up to 6. But choose the game based on 4! :)

• Space Alert (NP)
  • Traumfabrik
  • Ra
  • Amun-Re
  • Medici
  • Robo Rally (NP)
  • Blood Bowl (NP)
  • Race for the Galaxy

Thanks!
Blood Bowl! (Assume you mean Team Manager.) Robo Rally is good too but be sure to play on one of the 2-4-player maps, and not the larger ones.

Yay got in my Eclipse expansion and Star Wars LCG. Damn holidays getting in the way of game days

Smash Up is only slightly better than Munchkin... which is to stay it is horrible.

Your horrible! nah j/k

I wouldn't put it anywhere near that level, there is actual strategy involved in ones play with Smash Up even with how light it is. It's nowhere near Munchkin/Fluxx level of random though.

Those who haven't check Guillotine games site, lot of new scenarios for Zombicide up including some redone versions of the scenarios in the book to make them harder. Most of the new scenarios are pretty decent with actual challenge unlike the ones the game come with which are all too easy.

Those who haven't check Guillotine games site, lot of new scenarios for Zombicide up including some redone versions of the scenarios in the book to make them harder. Most of the new scenarios are pretty decent with actual challenge unlike the ones the game come with which are all too easy.
I want to try the campaign again, I played the first mission and failed miserably.

Guillotine games has been really good about support of Zombicide. Between the new missions and revisions of the original missions they are adding a lot of replayablity to the game and it's all free. I also can't wait for the expansion.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Looking for more lightweight cheap party games. Cards Against Humanity and Wits & Wagers are big hits but we're wearing them out.

I already picked up Munchkin, and I have my eye on Fluxx. My question is simple:

Both have been expanded 500 times. Are these expansions mix & match? ie could I combine Zombie Fluxx with Pirate Fluxx & regular Fluxx into one super-deck?

Same question with Munchkin, Munchkin Zombies, Xmas Munchkin, etc.

My thought is to pick up a handful of modules for each games and mix them up in different combos when people come over.

flyover

All the Munchkin expansions can be mixed in with one another. Personally, I don't mind adding new monsters, items, curses, etc. to a game, but I think it starts getting unwieldy when you add in new classes and races.

When we've played Munchkin, we've limited those, unless everyone playing is already familiar with the expansion races/classes. Turns in Munchkin occasionally drag (for what should be a light game) as it is. With too many expansions, they can get unbearable, if not everyone is up to speed.

Resistance and Dixit are my goto party games. I recommend them over Munchkin or Fluxx. Like, WAY over them. Substitute Werewolf for Resistance if you're often playing with really large groups.

Ticket to Ride has a very active online community if you want some competitive games over the internets. The iPad version is the best way to get there in my opinion, but barring that I've heard the PC version is good too. It's available on Steam and is on sale for $5 at the moment. Get the 1910 expansion to play the mega game online. Good times.

Oh god, I've got over 70 hours on the Steam version. Funny thing is, it's almost entirely 1v1 games. I just zone out and go for a ridiculous amount of Destination Tickets. It's not the same as playing with a bunch of people but I can get games going within a minute or two and end them in ten. It's my new Solitaire at work basically.

Blizzard

Banned
Looking for more lightweight cheap party games. Cards Against Humanity and Wits & Wagers are big hits but we're wearing them out.

I already picked up Munchkin, and I have my eye on Fluxx. My question is simple:

Both have been expanded 500 times. Are these expansions mix & match? ie could I combine Zombie Fluxx with Pirate Fluxx & regular Fluxx into one super-deck?

Same question with Munchkin, Munchkin Zombies, Xmas Munchkin, etc.

My thought is to pick up a handful of modules for each games and mix them up in different combos when people come over.
I don't care much for Munchkin, but try "Bang!". You can get the collection on Amazon with all the expansions for extra variety: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001037L8K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's fairly fast-paced, and kind of like Mafia/Werewolf (party games) but with some cards and rules. People can have some simple equipment/weapon things, and have them destroyed or stolen.

Dreavus

We enjoyed it, the randomness of it is nice, but yea the only negative we had was that the game can take a while. If it was a bit faster I think it would play better. Consider playing it with a smaller point goal.

I had fun with it too, and I can't stand munchkin... Played 3 games of Smash Up at my last gathering. I didn't think the pace was that bad but some of the "decks" seemed questionably balanced, at least when we were playing them. For example, the "trickster" deck needs very specific arenas to work well, and I had trouble playing everything in my hand using "aliens" (lots of ways to beam stuff back to your hand, but no way to play more than 1 minion + 1 action as aliens. I was hitting the 10 card hand limit a lot.) Robots seem prone to lucky streaks where they just play 3+ guys in one turn.

I know it's supposed to be light so it's not a huge deal to me. Besides, if you do Catan style deck choices you can usually keep one person from getting a ridiculous combo.

What I like about it is it almost seems like a gateway game to more complex card games despite being somewhat complex itself. Having only 2 things you can do on a turn and not tons of "reactionary" plays means it's pretty easy to pick up.

I like the theme too. Seems pretty standard "Look at all this awesome stuff!" but it pulls it off IMO. Cyborg-Dinosaurs with lasers strapped to them is something I might be tempted to roll my eyes at, but it works here for some reason.

I'm hoping to pick it up after Christmas and try it out with the lighter gaming folks in another group.

Neverfade

A funny tidbit from the Star Wars LCG: Lightside has a card themed from the garbage compactor scene called "it could be worse."

The darkside has a card called "It's worse."

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
A funny tidbit from the Star Wars LCG: Lightside has a card themed from the garbage compactor scene called "it could be worse."

The darkside has a card called "It's worse."

Rip off:

itcouldbeworse.gif

itsworse.gif

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Are there any good mini Kickstarters going on right now? Want to try one out. I know about that big Kingdom Death one but not totally into the theme/boobs.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ok what's the point of this card? Spend X force to not lose X force at a 1:1 ratio? Uhhh

Losing force in the SW:CCG meant that your cards went into the lost pile. In this case, you could use activated force (in Star Wars CCG, you had 60 cards in your deck. The main deck was called the reserve pile, each turn you'd activate up to a certain amount of cards, this was your force pile, and you'd spend cards from this by "using them" to deploy characters, weapons, and other cards, those spent cards from the force pile went into the used pile [ in addition to other cards that could be sent to used pile like used interrupts ], at the end of the turn the used pile is cycled to the bottom of the reserve pile).

Essentially, this card allows you to spend force from your force pile to reduce the amount of cards you have to lose (when your force / used / reserve piles are empty, you lose the game, so this essentially allows you to save your life points by spending your currency). This only really works if you saved force from a previous turn (generally you're not going to lose force on your turn).

I don't think this card had any sort of tournament relevance once the expansions started hitting... and even then. You might've seen it in sealed deck.

and god, I miss the SW:CCG. It was amazing.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I totally forgot to post this here, but I'm spending Christmas back home in Switzerland, so if anyone in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver) needs/wants a game that's only available in german/german-speaking Europe, let me know and I'll buy it and bring it over.

Scala

Anyone can tell me what games are best to play with my 11yrs old son? My wife don't want to play with us... :(
I already have Kyng of Tokyo, it's fun, but we're only two...
Can I try Agricola, 7 Wonders, Summoner Wars, Legendary?...
Thanks in advance.

Xater

Anyone can tell me what games are best to play with my 11yrs old son? My wife don't want to play with us... :(
Thanks in advance.

Agricola is probably to heavy for him but I don't know your kid. 7 Wonders sucks with 2 people. Summoner Wars might be alright. Don't know Legendary.

If you mostly play just with him you should consider getting 2 Player games like: Lost Cities, Battle Line, Hive, Jaipur

Flynn

Thanks in advance.

One of those Command and Colors games might work too. Probably Memoir of '44. A Game of Thrones is kinda complicated.

Scala

I'll check Memoir'44, looks very cool!
And what do you think guys, about Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game? He loves Star Wars!! We saw all the movies. It's to much difficult?

Thanks in advance.
Not sure whether you're interested in Dominion. A friend of mine has an 8 year old and 6 year old. They like Dominion (base and intrigue sets).

Suairyu

Banned
So this Hobbit board game doing the rounds. Looking at the back of the box, it looks like a simplified version of Lord Of The Rings board game. Is that the case?

Not sure if its mentioned in this thread but played a pretty good board game with my family that my wifes uncle brought. Believe it was called "Ticket to Ride", was a train game where you draw ticket cards and try to build rail lines and score points for it.
Not sure if its known as another game, did say on the box something like "#1If game in Germany"

FillerB

Not sure if its mentioned in this thread but played a pretty good board game with my family that my wifes uncle brought. Believe it was called "Ticket to Ride", was a train game where you draw ticket cards and try to build rail lines and score points for it.
Not sure if its known as another game, did say on the box something like "#1If game in Germany"

It might have come up once or twice. The name sounds familiar.

I have Ticket to Ride in my iPad. It's fun. So, X-Wings it's a good option?

X-Wing is a miniature game so its going to require a bit more investment than just the starter box. It's a good simple game, but it will constantly have new ships coming out and you will need more ships to play full scale games of it.

Along with Catan and Carcassonne it is considered a perfect "gateway" game. A gateway game is any designer boardgame that is simple enough to attract new gamers into the hobby but strategic enough that hobby gamers enjoy it. I'm actually curious how you came accross it? Did a gamer introduce it to you or did your family just happen upon it at Target? Ticket to Ride is a great game by the way. It's a game most people in the hobby owns but everyone has played it.

Along with Catan and Carcassonne it is considered a perfect "gateway" game. A gateway game is any designer boardgame that is simple enough to attract new gamers into the hobby but strategic enough that hobby gamers enjoy it. I'm actually curious how you came accross it? Did a gamer introduce it to you or did your family just happen upon it at Target? Ticket to Ride is a great game by the way. It's a game most people in the hobby owns but everyone has played it.

My wifes uncle is a big board game enthusiast.

We dont see him much but he came down to her mothers houe last night and asked us to have a board game night. He brought that game and her aunt also brother a simple Rummy type game, Rummykub, both pretty fun but Ticket to Ride was an amazing new game to try for someone like me who never plays board games.

Actually looking to buy it now :)

My wifes uncle is a big board game enthusiast.

We dont see him much but he came down to her mothers houe last night and asked us to have a board game night. He brought that game and her aunt also brother a simple Rummy type game, Rummykub, both pretty fun but Ticket to Ride was an amazing new game to try for someone like me who never plays board games.

Actually looking to buy it now :)
That's awesome. Yeah, you really can't go wrong with picking up Ticket to Ride.

blurrygil

I'll check Memoir'44, looks very cool!
And what do you think guys, about Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game? He loves Star Wars!! We saw all the movies. It's to much difficult?

Just ordered the base set of Memoir 44 online, as it's got a great sale price now on Amazon. Tried it at PAX (finally) and really enjoyed it. It's much easier and much more expandable than Axis & Allies. So I'll post impressions after the new year when I get it.

SW:X-Wing is simple and fantastic. Can't wait for further proper expansions (hoping for a Death Star or various planetary scenarios, etc) to hit other than just ships and fighters. Get a blank table/tablecloth to give your games a nice space theme. It makes a world of difference. I think your boy will like it if he has some patience.

Just found this thread yesterday and been a long time tabletop player and GAFer (besides being an asshole in the MLS footy thread). So it's nice to find this.

Been really expanding my Last Night on Earth set. I now have the Growing Hunger Expansion, Survival of the Fittest and all of the FFP promotional mini-expansions (thanks to PAX). Also have Timber Peak and about to open that up to test-drive possibly tonight.

Any other Seattle GAFers other than platypotamus? If so, we should hit up Raygun Lounge together for some good times!

Xater

I have Ticket to Ride in my iPad. It's fun. So, X-Wings it's a good option?

X-Wing is more of an investment since it is a miniature game, but the rules are quite simple. I enjoy it very much.

In fact just yesterday I had a friend over whom I explained the full rules to and we built our own squads first try. It went great. This game is even more fun once you do the whole squad building thing. Sucks that I will have to wait so much longer for the wave 2 models. :(

Any other Seattle GAFers other than platypotamus? If so, we should hit up Raygun Lounge together for some good times!

IIRC, I'm the only Seattlite regular from the thread... I bet we could recruit another player or two from the Seattle-GAF thread for a board game night though. I haven't been to Raygun yet, but I hit up Cafe Mox in Ballard pretty regularly.

Oh that's right non Seattlites. We've got more than one board gaming store/bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom