• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Through The Ages is the best Civ game evar. It has all the build-up, the military conflict & the tech tree you'd want. It just doesn't have a board, as you say ;) It really is a fantastic game & through the fantastic online implmentation, it's become one of my most played games.

l

In contrast to the above post, anything but TTA. Ugh.

Who to believe!? What dont you like about TTA Neverfade? Honestly Through the Ages sounds good, but I don't know if I can live without the board! Haha.

Is there anything other than the 3 I listed that would be worth looking at?

Who to believe!? What dont you like about TTA Neverfade? Honestly Through the Ages sounds good, but I don't know if I can live without the board! Haha.

Is there anything other than the 3 I listed that would be worth looking at?

I'd recommend looking at some videos on bgg. IMHO it looked way too dry, long and ugly. Even by BG standards.

SM Civ is rated so much higher on BGG (not that that means everything), but it just looks visually bland, except the awesome looking civ cards with the dials. Clash just looks visually more appealing with its better looking tiles, cities, and even the tech tree. The lack of individual civs really hurts it though. I love playing as new races in eclipse, twilight imperium and in the Civ video games.

Dreavus

I wish I had a group to play some of these long and intense games... -sigh-

Indeed. In a similar vein I keep buying these 2 player combat games but don't have anyone to actually play with when it comes down to it. Usually try and bust them out at a games night, but people often want to play other games with more than 2 players. :p

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Come out to Edmonton and we can play smiley!

NEVEEEER.

I found a boardgame group at university, so I get to at least play some games once a week, but the people there aren't in the mood for those 3h-long games, usually :p

NEVEEEER.

I found a boardgame group at university, so I get to at least play some games once a week, but the people there aren't in the mood for those 3h-long games, usually :p

That's shitty man, luckily the best board game will be coming out on iOS this month, so we can play some Eclipse then! ECLIPSE!

Smiley90

That's shitty man, luckily the best board game will be coming out on iOS this month, so we can play some Eclipse then! ECLIPSE!

You're going down.

I've been eyeing Sid-Civ and through the ages for a LONG time now, but I know I'll never get to play either one of them, ever, because they're such long games. sigh. Was excited to play Power Grid last Friday when it was at the boardgameclub gathering, but everyone said it was too long to play :( (I've never played it).

Ooooh well.

You're going down.

I've been eyeing Sid-Civ and through the ages for a LONG time now, but I know I'll never get to play either one of them, ever, because they're such long games. sigh. Was excited to play Power Grid last Friday when it was at the boardgameclub gathering, but everyone said it was too long to play :( (I've never played it).

Ooooh well.

Yeah probably :p

Crazy they thought power grid took too long. I don't remember it being long at all.

Smiley90

Yeah probably :p

Crazy they thought power grid took too long. I don't remember it being long at all.

I never played it so I have no idea. I've never played Eclipse either, so you'll probably beat me, but I'm just happy it's coming to iOS. So glad there's so many boardgames on it. :D

Neverfade

SM Civ is rated so much higher on BGG (not that that means everything), but it just looks so bland, except the awesome looking civ cards with the dials. Clash just looks more appealing with its better looking tiles, cities, and even the tech tree. The lack of individual civs really hurts it though. I love playing as new races in eclipse, twilight imperium and in the Civ video games.

I must be playing a different SM:Civ. Bland? Whaaa?

I never played it so I have no idea. I've never played Eclipse either, so you'll probably beat me, but I'm just happy it's coming to iOS. So glad there's so many boardgames on it. :D

Oh you didn't even play? Wtf do you guys even play then?

Eclipse takes about 3 hours with 4 people. And it was like maybe 5h with 6 people, but that was our first game so we had to reread rules a bunch. My numbers might be a bit high though, I don't remember exactly.

I must be playing a different SM:Civ. Bland? Whaaa?

I just ment visually.

Smiley90

Oh you didn't even play? Wtf do you guys even play then?

Eclipse takes about 3 hours with 4 people. And it was like maybe 5h with 6 people, but that was our first game so we had to reread rules a bunch. My numbers might be a bit high though, I don't remember exactly.

Yeah they didn't want to play it because it'd take too long, apparently... We ended up just playing some 7 Wonders and Shadow Hunter (kinda like Mafia/Werewolf/etc), which was fun too. I just really wanted to try Power Grid :p But I'm just happy I found a boardgame club so I'll go back every week or so and see what else they'll bring.

8443822464_0a22b1e9fa_b.jpg

So screw Super Bowl, we played Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit. Always good stuff, though got spanked as the Trade Federation. Though personal victory for me in basically killing all the gungans on the field at least.

Dreavus

Played the first 1 and a half quests in Descent 2.0. I know nothing about the first rule-set, but this seemed pretty solid. The first scenario seemed unwinnable for the Overlord, but I guess that's kind of the point (no benefits for winning/losing either way). The first half of the second quest we did ("fat goblin") ended with a split down the middle for the "crops" the Overlord was trying to steal - he got 2 and we got 2.

It's funny, we weren't sure what to expect at first as heroes, and when I got killed on the overlord's first turn we had quite the "oh shit" moment... that is until we checked up on the rules for being knocked out and realized it barely takes anything to get you back on your feet. I'm not sure if I like this. I guess you could think of it as the Overlord being a super villain just trying to delay our beloved heroes just long enough for the cunning master stroke... but it does feel a bit scummy just brushing ourselves off with 1 revive action after finally going down.

Anyways, comparing it to my dnd 4E experiences it felt stronger in some ways. Having "objectives" end the quests (escaping (or not) with bundles of crops) made things feel a lot quicker. The combat in general is quite a bit simpler as well, which probably helps things a lot. This probably speaks to our encounter design in dnd, but it always feels like combat takes for-fucking-ever over there, whereas in Descent it was pretty painless.

I also appreciate the fact that the Overlord is actually another player trying to win. Doesn't really work that way in dnd, so that's kinda cool!

We've only scratched the surface so far so we'll keep running with it. Keasar, you're making me afraid for the future of the game, but we'll see how it goes!

Keasar

We've only scratched the surface so far so we'll keep running with it. Keasar, you're making me afraid for the future of the game, but we'll see how it goes!

It may be I am a single case only or I am the worst tactician ever. Hopefully you will have better luck with it, my group was starting to get tired listening to me get mad of how I was being steamrolled by them (something they at least acknowledged they were doing).

I know, I just disagree. To each his own!

It's mainly the cities just being little tiles, all the units just being flags and nub things and the map tiles being kind of ugly squares.

I dunno I will look more into it, I think at the end of the day I can deal with (or replace) the bits in SM:Civ that I don't like, where as adding actual individual civilizations to Clash is much harder to do. Haha.

I own an old copy of axis and alies, I can steal bits from there :p

Smiley90

Through The Ages is the best Civ game evar. It has all the build-up, the military conflict & the tech tree you'd want. It just doesn't have a board, as you say ;) It really is a fantastic game & through the fantastic online implmentation, it's become one of my most played games.

I wanted to ask this before, but hang on, what is this fantastic online implementation you speak of? Maybe I'll get to try it that way! Didn't know it was available through online play, where?

fenners

I wanted to ask this before, but hang on, what is this fantastic online implementation you speak of? Maybe I'll get to try it that way! Didn't know it was available through online play, where?

You can play Through The Ages online at www.boardgaming-online.com - it's the only game they support. It's a plain looking adaptation, but it handles all the bookkeeping wonderfully & presents a straightforward view that sums up the game state & options available to you succinctly. And it's got a nice 'reset turn' action so you can try stuff out, see how it'll screw you & reset it to try again ;) I won't play the actual boardgame now, just this version. My buddies & I usually have two or three different games running.

Effectively PBEM too as it'll email you when you're next up in a game, like most of the big online boardgame sites.

Reclaimer

Anyone know where I could pick up a nice D20 for display? A larger die (around 3" or more?) and perhaps cast of metal? Just something awesome for display, not actually for play.

Or anywhere I could get custom 20 sided dice like that made?

It's for a trophy prize. Figured Gaf might have an idea. :)

Should prob changes those to non-ref links. All I've heard about that game is that it's a one-shot drunk party game of evil apples to apples. Meh.
Dirty Apples to Apples is the best description for it. It's best played sparingly, like once every couple of months. It tends to get really stale if played more often than that. Otherwise if you've got the right group of assholes, the game can be fun.

Smiley90

You can play Through The Ages online at www.boardgaming-online.com - it's the only game they support. It's a plain looking adaptation, but it handles all the bookkeeping wonderfully & presents a straightforward view that sums up the game state & options available to you succinctly. And it's got a nice 'reset turn' action so you can try stuff out, see how it'll screw you & reset it to try again ;) I won't play the actual boardgame now, just this version. My buddies & I usually have two or three different games running.

Effectively PBEM too as it'll email you when you're next up in a game, like most of the big online boardgame sites.

Seems like there's mostly private games going on there... anyone willing to get a GAF game going, PBEM? I'm on the West Coast, for taking turn info's sake.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Seems like there's mostly private games going on there... anyone willing to get a GAF game going, PBEM? I'm on the West Coast, for taking turn info's sake.

I'd be interested as well. Love TtA, but never tried this out yet.

Username on the site is the same as here.

Smiley90

I would offer to play, but I have never played before so would likely hinder any enjoyment ;)

I've never played it either, that's why I asked for a GAF game in the first place hehe :p I'm sure we'll be fine with 2 veterans and 2 newbies?

fenners

Minutes? lol.

Your login name isn't actually listed for user names in the game (yeah....) it shows your actual name. So you'll have to PM me your names I'm afraid ;)

Smiley90

Minutes? lol.

Your login name isn't actually listed for user names in the game (yeah....) it shows your actual name. So you'll have to PM me your names I'm afraid ;)

I don't even remember signing up with my real name...that is done odd stuff.I'll send you a pm.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Minutes? lol.

What I'm using for my actual name is my username just split, Xia Naphryz. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom