• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ha. That was my Christmas/birthday present to me.
We played a learning game last week, 3.5 hours before we called it a night.
Going again tonight. Really looking forward to it.

I wish I knew someone with the... stamina for a 3.5h board game. :p Maybe one day when it'll be at the club meeting again...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Isn't there a way to play it online? Haven't tried it yet, but I think its on wargameroom.com or something.

If it's similar to TtA on BGO, I may give it a shot with some friends.

fenners

Isn't there a way to play it online? Haven't tried it yet, but I think its on wargameroom.com or something.

If it's similar to TtA on BGO, I may give it a shot with some friends.

Wargameroom, yep. It's a java downloadable client that's a good implementation. But it's realtime, not async, and you need to mess around with ip addresses to connect (at least the last time I tried) but it's a solid interface & implementation.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
My upgrade kit hasn't arrived yet, but I taught it to 4 friends a week or two ago & it was a huge hit with them. Just the right amount of backstabbing, auctions & kill the leader for that exact grouping of friends. I'm glad it's coming back into print & more people will get to play it.

Does the upgrade kit come with a new board?

Either way I think you'll be quite pleased with the components. They're very high quality.

Does the upgrade kit come with a new board?

Either way I think you'll be quite pleased with the components. They're very high quality.
As far as I know, no. The upgrade kit was for the meeples, stickers, and office cards.

Took Merchants and Marauders out after over a year. Forgot how good this game is.
M&M is great. It's pretty much everything I would ask for in a pirate game.

Two guys at our boardgameclub-meeting were playing Twilight Struggle today, DAMN that game looked strategic/intense/deep/long. But fun. I knew the game was highly ranked on BGG but I never saw it in person before.

It's really to bad about the theme though, at least for me it has such a boring non interesting theme. It would probably be a lot cooler if I was American and a few years older.

Neverfade

It's really to bad about the theme though, at least for me it has such a boring non interesting theme. It would probably be a lot cooler if I was American and a few years older.

1960, for me, is way more interesting and easier to wrap my brain around. It's fairly similar.

Smiley90

1960, for me, is way more interesting and easier to wrap my brain around. It's fairly similar.

What do you mean, Twilight Struggle IS 1960's (well, +- 20 years :D), what are you trying to say?

Even as a non-American, I find the Cold War theme very interesting. Didn't know there was a PC-adaptation, but realtime pretty much means I'll never get to play, especially with how long the game is... sadly. Oh well. :D

It's literally only the theme that keeps me away from the game.

And yeah smiley you don't have to be American (or Russian) to like the theme, but I bet it helps. Haha.

But old war stuff is boring to me, Call of Duty only got interesting when it got to 4 :p and then right after I skipped World at War.

It's really sucks going to BGG and seeing the number 1 ranked game is something I will never want to play :(

Neverfade

It's literally only the theme that keeps me away from the game.

I can see that, as I find TS boring as shit.

Reminds me of Campaign Manager. My girlfriend bitched and moaned about having to play it because of the political theme, and then end up liking it once it was all over.

Smiley90

I'm talking about the game called 1960. Its also a card-driven game with most TS mechanics.

oh, LOL. I thought you were talking about the decade. Wow me. -facepalm-

Is 1960 shorter and "simpler" than TS? Might be a good alternative that's less scary/more appealing, if so. How's Campaign Manager?

Neverfade

oh, LOL. I thought you were talking about the decade. Wow me. -facepalm-

Is 1960 shorter and "simpler" than TS? Might be a good alternative that's less scary/more appealing, if so. How's Campaign Manager?

Yes, 1960 is "easy" TS. It's still rather strategic. Campaign Manager is fantastic. It's even lighter, plays super fast, but has some really great decision making. Plus it's like
10 bucks.

Smiley90

Yes, 1960 is "easy" TS. It's still rather strategic. Campaign Manager is fantastic. It's even lighter, plays super fast, but has some really great decision making. Plus it's like
10 bucks.

It's like 25 here - but still cheap! I'll look into it, thanks!

I got to play 3 games of 7 Wonders last night, pretty cool game and its nice to get through a game with 6 people in 20 minutes, haha. All 3 games were won by the person who was playing the Pyramids card, so that was kinda messed up though, haha.

I also got to play a 2 player game of Eclipse earlier today, it only took 2 hours and it was a blast to play. I actually cant wait to play more of it 2 players, its still better with more people, but 2p was so much fun I would do it again in a heartbeat. Great game.

Ive got a 3 player game of Belfort tonight, I havent played it before so that should be fun.

Great weekend for board games, I hope I can play some tomorrow too, haha.

Blizzard

Banned
I got to play 3 games of 7 Wonders last night, pretty cool game and its nice to get through a game with 6 people in 20 minutes, haha. All 3 games were won by the person who was playing the Pyramids card, so that was kinda messed up though, haha.

I also got to play a 2 player game of Eclipse earlier today, it only took 2 hours and it was a blast to play. I actually cant wait to play more of it 2 players, its still better with more people, but 2p was so much fun I would do it again in a heartbeat. Great game.

Ive got a 3 player game of Belfort tonight, I havent played it before so that should be fun.

Great weekend for board games, I hope I can play some tomorrow too, haha.

Last post on the 50-post page, no one will read me. :'(

7 Wonders was a hit with my family, but yeah if the pyramids one is the one with the extra victory points, it's nice.

Belfort struck me as too much work. I might even prefer Agricola over it.

Tonight we tried a new game, Repello (was double discounted at $7.50 USD) for 4 players. It's an abstract board game where everyone moves around leaving disks behind and trying to knock other disks and players off the board through chain reactions. For several turns we didn't knock anything off, and ratings are not very good, but it seemed like it could be kinda fun as a quick game, as long as people don't sit forever thinking about their options.

We played a caveman game where one player has to use caveman speak to direct other players to build a structure, kind of fun.

We also played Betrayalton at House on the Hill. It was sort of cool until the haunt, but we got the Seance, the traitor immediately revealed the pentagram room, the heroes immediately summoned the ghost in a turn or two and got the bones, and it was ultra one-sided. The traitor couldn't do anything except attack the player with the bones, and apparently the DEFENSE roll of the player holding the bones caused the attacking traitor to immediately take 9 damage, ending the game. I kinda got a headache, and I might not like playing D&D for this sort of reason, but it was sort of a cool game concept.

Last post on the 50-post page, no one will read me. :'(

7 Wonders was a hit with my family, but yeah if the pyramids one is the one with the extra victory points, it's nice.

Belfort struck me as too much work. I might even prefer Agricola over it.

Tonight we tried a new game, Repello (was double discounted at $7.50 USD) for 4 players. It's an abstract board game where everyone moves around leaving disks behind and trying to knock other disks and players off the board through chain reactions. For several turns we didn't knock anything off, and ratings are not very good, but it seemed like it could be kinda fun as a quick game, as long as people don't sit forever thinking about their options.

We played a caveman game where one player has to use caveman speak to direct other players to build a structure, kind of fun.

We also played Betrayalton at House on the Hill. It was sort of cool until the haunt, but we got the Seance, the traitor immediately revealed the pentagram room, the heroes immediately summoned the ghost in a turn or two and got the bones, and it was ultra one-sided. The traitor couldn't do anything except attack the player with the bones, and apparently the DEFENSE roll of the player holding the bones caused the attacking traitor to immediately take 9 damage, ending the game. I kinda got a headache, and I might not like playing D&D for this sort of reason, but it was sort of a cool game concept.

Ummm...you SHOULD prefer Agricola! Belfort was fun, but Agricola is amazing, its a top tier game.

I had a good time in Belfort, I lost pretty bad, they had high 40s in points, and I was mid 30s, but they've played it a few times before me, so I dont feel to bad. Pretty cool little game. I will play it again at some point im sure.

It's like 25 here - but still cheap! I'll look into it, thanks!
You can try it on Yucata if you are sitting on the fence.

Got our second game of Twilight Struggle in last night. Even at -18 I felt the USA would start to turn the tide. That is until the USSR played We Will Bury You for an insta-victory.
I need to avoid telegraphing which scoring cards are in my hand.
Just a little over 2 hours this time.

Blizzard

Banned
Ummm...you SHOULD prefer Agricola! Belfort was fun, but Agricola is amazing, its a top tier game.

I had a good time in Belfort, I lost pretty bad, they had high 40s in points, and I was mid 30s, but they've played it a few times before me, so I dont feel to bad. Pretty cool little game. I will play it again at some point im sure.
I'm not big on the city building or collection games. I think I prefer 7 Wonders > Agricola > Settlers of Catan > Belfort. I got Kingsburg for Christmas but haven't tried it yet.

I'm not big on the city building or collection games. I think I prefer 7 Wonders > Agricola > Settlers of Catan > Belfort. I got Kingsburg for Christmas but haven't tried it yet.

Hehe, yeah. I was mostly just joking around and trying to point out that Agricola is rated pretty highly and extremely well liked, but it doesnt matter really since everyone can have their own opinions.

Really the only thing that matters and that is 100% no arguable fact is that Eclipse is the greatest board game ever created. FACT BITCHES! haha. Actually a Mass Effect themed Eclipse would beat out normal Eclipse :p ...but thats IT!

I love Kingsburg, but don't ever play it with 5 people. The game gets exponentially longer with the 5th player.

Neverfade

War of the Ring'd tonight. Had a really good game as Free Peoples. Rohan got stomped early as usual. but a Path of the Woses sent the survivors to Minas Tirith. Edoras guys marched east and absolutely destroyed the siege again MT with a 'Help Unlooked For' event. Fellowship made it through Moria unscathed and were declared in Lorien by this time. 'A Power Too Great' and 'Tom Bombadil' Kept Shadow Player off the Elves and the North's backs for a while. Once those were no longer and issue Lorien was saved from a seige by a crazy lucky roll, and by the time Shadow regained foothold at MT and 'Denethor's Folly' hit the table, I was already halfway through the Mordor track. I'd gotten three of my special tiles into play, so it was quite the jaunty stroll up the hillside and I effortlessly dipped Isildur's bane in some hot Doom fondue.

TwiztidElf

Picked up Android Netrunner over the weekend, and I just got done reading the rules. Seems like an awesome game, but I have a question that doesn't seem to be covered, and it's not in the flowcharts for Runs.
During a run, when a piece of Ice is rezzed, if the runner doesn't have any IceBreakers of sufficient strength, the run stops there and then right?

Edit: Ah, nevermind. The Ice sub-routines fire. BGG to the rescue!

Korey

Tried Dominion, liked it.

What expansions should I buy next and in what order?

Which are must haves and which to avoid?

Xater

Seaside and Prosperity are must haves. Avoid the small expansions and I have not exactly heard stellar thing about Dark Ages.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep, I think if you go big box and avoid small box you'll be in good shape (Cornucopia is OK though imo).

Seaside and Prosperity are my favorite.
Alchemy and Dark Ages my least favorite.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Are you sure this thread is newcomer friendly? No one answered my question about atmosfear =/ has anyone played it? How did you like it?

tm24

Oh god why did I buy Eclipse when i don't have a table big enough to play it on? Dammit, know i need to go buy stuff at Ikea. Like a table, and a shelf. I've hit the point where im no longer buying just board games. Transformation complete. Not much longer til this happens

gqqWxjq.jpg

Smiley90

Are you sure this thread is newcomer friendly? No one answered my question about atmosfear =/ has anyone played it? How did you like it?

It is - sometimes post just get overlooked, or in the case of specific games, people who haven't played it don't respond

-

I never heard of it and don't know it, sorry.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It is - sometimes post just get overlooked, or in the case of specific games, people who haven't played it don't respond

-

I never heard of it and don't know it, sorry.
It's fine. It's a great game. I just wanted to know if anyone shared a similar sentiment.

Neverfade

This thread is largely focused on the relatively recent surge of designer boardgames (as stated in the OP). Atmosfear was a mid 90's mass produced VCR boardgame. It's likely hot garbage.

Atmosfear? Ha, I own this. It's awesome in a so bad it's good, shark attack syfy original movie, nicolas cage kind if way. We play it around Halloween for lolz. It's awful if you're looking for anything real. Nostalgia plus goofy Halloween mentality makes it a hoot

jason10mm

Gold Member
Got some Descent:JITD in this weekend. Damn, what a fun DnD fix. Some of the scenarios, er, encounters, took longer to set up than they did to play (mainly because Eliza Ferrow got run down like an anemic rat despite being able to slip through the sealed doors). So need more dice though, WTF is FFG thinking not selling sets? Close to just getting some custom ones made.

Now I am really jonesing for a sci-fi themed version. The Mass Effect universe seems PERFECT for this type of gameplay, heck the game "classes" are practically just clones of the descent classes! Could almost cobble it together myself, but I don't think there are many minis out there that aren't of the 40K "football shoulders" variety, much less actual ME minis.

Ok Suburbia is a new favorite with the group, everyone really digs it and want more already. Good stuff.

Got some Descent:JITD in this weekend. Damn, what a fun DnD fix. Some of the scenarios, er, encounters, took longer to set up than they did to play (mainly because Eliza Ferrow got run down like an anemic rat despite being able to slip through the sealed doors). So need more dice though, WTF is FFG thinking not selling sets? Close to just getting some custom ones made.

Now I am really jonesing for a sci-fi themed version. The Mass Effect universe seems PERFECT for this type of gameplay, heck the game "classes" are practically just clones of the descent classes! Could almost cobble it together myself, but I don't think there are many minis out there that aren't of the 40K "football shoulders" variety, much less actual ME minis.

They have a bunch of games that need dice made for that have been waiting for reprints. They just can't keep up and they keep making more games that use unique dice.

TwiztidElf

I'll agree with the comments already, Seasides and Prosperity are both good. I prefer Seasides out of those two though.
One expansion that seems to fly under the radar though is Hinterlands. When I've played with that, I've really enjoyed it. There are some really cool cards in that set.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This thread is largely focused on the relatively recent surge of designer boardgames (as stated in the OP). Atmosfear was a mid 90's mass produced VCR boardgame. It's likely hot garbage.
it's not, but.....

Atmosfear? Ha, I own this. It's awesome in a so bad it's good, shark attack syfy original movie, nicolas cage kind if way. We play it around Halloween for lolz. It's awful if you're looking for anything real. Nostalgia plus goofy Halloween mentality makes it a hoot
this is why anyone would like it, which is why I love it.

Did you design it?

nah.

It's one of my all time favorite boardgames. It's so much fun and has a ton of...well, ya know.

you get it. thanks for the replies everyone. I just wanted to know I wasn't the only one who enjoyed it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They have a bunch of games that need dice made for that have been waiting for reprints. They just can't keep up and they keep making more games that use unique dice.

While I agree that FFG uses a lot of unique dice in their games, I seriously doubt a lack of production capacity at the dice factory is the reason why there are not dice packs for Descent. Since they appear to be adding dice with the latest expansion, maybe they are just waiting till they have a stable dice pool.

Photon

Oh god why did I buy Eclipse when i don't have a table big enough to play it on? Dammit, know i need to go buy stuff at Ikea. Like a table, and a shelf.

It's funny you should mention this, because buying Eclipse did cause me to go buy a larger table at Ikea...

While I agree that FFG uses a lot of unique dice in their games, I seriously doubt a lack of production capacity at the dice factory is the reason why there are not dice packs for Descent. Since they appear to be adding dice with the latest expansion, maybe they are just waiting till they have a stable dice pool.

Its not just dice, but all their games. They have limited production capability and often there games will be in wait for reprints for long periods of time. FFG is huge but also put out more than they can handle. Been waiting almost 2 years waiting for them to reprint the war hammer dice that is "coming"

atmosfear talk
When it arrived in the mail, probably 2 years ago, the shipping box was taped up hardcore. I was struggling opening it and was using the scissors to cut through the tape any which way possible. I finally cut through but at that moment the scissors were pointing towards me, and the tip swung up towards my face. I came probably 1/2 an inch away from stabbing my right eye out for ATMOSFEAR. That moment will haunt me forever because of how close it came but just the fact that it was this game adds to the like, mythos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom