• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got to play CO2 last night, it was a lot of fun. It was a 3 player match, and we ended up being pretty civil about not interfering with other peoples proposals in instalations, but that I think was mostly just because it was our first game. I can see it getting really crazy after we are all comfortable with the rules.

Its a pretty tense game where you always seem to need 'JUST ONE MORE TUUUUUURRRRNNN' which is great, and it reminds me a lot of Agricola in that way. The rule book took quite a while to get through and understand, but it was actually really simple to play, though it was a little difficult to keep track of everything going on all the time, haha. Once we figured it all out, the little summary cards were actually really awesome, and explained just about everything you need to know.

Great game, Im looking forward to playing it again (especially since I lost! I hate losing the first game of a game I buy!) and I know they are too, so it should get a decent amount of play with us, which is great.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
FFG is going to be licensing Tide of Iron to 1AGames. They plan on releasing a Stalingrad expansion late this year. Great to potentially have a company that will be active in supporting ToI.

fenners

FFG is going to be licensing Tide of Iron to 1AGames. They plan on releasing a Stalingrad expansion late this year. Great to potentially have a company that will be active in supporting ToI.

That's good news. It was never an obvious fit for the FFG line. Wonder if someone will licence Battlelore...

Suairyu

Banned
After my last Arkham Horror session, where everyone was new to the game but me, I decided I desperately needed a "can be played for the first time while ridiculously drunk" game.

To this end, I just bought Zombies!!!

Wonder how well the component quality will match up. Are they going to rerelease the game or just put out expansion modules?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder how well the component quality will match up. Are they going to rerelease the game or just put out expansion modules?

From what I understand they will be handling a release of the base game and expansions that already exist. I think that component quality will be the same. Some of the staff have been posting on BGG so they may be able to answer some questions.

edit: I would really like to buy premium painted units. Having Stalingrad will be cool for city combat. Also they are starting to take feedback so if you have any thoughts check out their website.

Omikron

Got a chance to play the expansion to 2P Agricola on the weekend and must say it really is a nice expansion, doesn't change the game hugely, but adds nicely to an already pretty tightly and well designed 'lighter' Agricola.

joelseph

After my last Arkham Horror session, where everyone was new to the game but me, I decided I desperately needed a "can be played for the first time while ridiculously drunk" game.

To this end, I just bought Zombies!!!

eh, you will be hard pressed to find love for Zombies!!!. Where you looking for a filler game? Resistance, Resistance: Avalon, Coup, Love Letter, Zombie Dice, King of Tokyo would be my suggestions.

For drunken gaming I would suggest Cosmic Encounter!

Xater

blurrygil

I'm thinking of diving in for the $240 "complete set" pledge for Zombicide. But I'm SO dedicated to Last Night on Earth, however!! Should I take the plunge, GAF?!?

I'm about to pull the trigger on Machine of Death, as well. o_O;

My KS profile is getting pretty large when it comes to backings:

KSSupport.png

*Note: I'm $400 deep for Kingdom Death: Monster, alone!!

I almost backed Machine of Death but international shipping on Kickstarter just kills me too much. Interested to see if the game is any good or not though.

I'm thinking of diving in for the $240 "complete set" pledge for Zombicide. But I'm SO dedicated to Last Night on Earth, however!! Should I take the plunge, GAF?!?

I'm about to pull the trigger on Machine of Death, as well. o_O;

My KS profile is getting pretty large when it comes to backings:

KSSupport.png

*Note: I'm $400 deep for Kingdom Death: Monster, alone!!
I'd hold off on season 1 and the expansion and just go for the inmate level. The expansion can be picked up for cheaper later and there is nothing in the KS exclusive to that set. Season 1 is nice, but again, you can grab that cheaper elsewhere. Season 2 is a full game and seems to improve upon the difficulty of season 1. The $100 inmate level gets you every stretch goal and the KS exclusives which will not be sold outside the KS.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I got totally demolished in my second campaign of TAL, I swear I've never seen such bad dice rolls. All my attacks were missing.

Suairyu

Banned
eh, you will be hard pressed to find love for Zombies!!!. Where you looking for a filler game? Resistance, Resistance: Avalon, Coup, Love Letter, Zombie Dice, King of Tokyo would be my suggestions.

For drunken gaming I would suggest Cosmic Encounter!
Really? I just googled for reviews and found nothing but positive, which is why I bought it. Was the ShutUpShow's double-recommendation that sealed it for me.

It wasn't so much a filler game I was looking for, but something with some well-executed theme but super-easy rules. Something you could teach a drunk person, rather than simply "you could play this when drunk". At the beginning of a night I could gauge everyone's likely sobriety levels and go from there.

Zombies is good simple game, I just recommend staying away from adding expansions. It's a good entry point game that works good for more party like settings. It's not very deep or anything and lot better more complex zombie games have come out, but the original is still a classic. Certain groups of course will never touch the game again as they have moved on to more meatier games.

Suairyu

Banned
Zombies is good simple game, I just recommend staying away from adding expansions. It's a good entry point game that works good for more party like settings. It's not very deep or anything and lot better more complex zombie games have come out, but the original is still a classic. Certain groups of course will never touch the game again as they have moved on to more meatier games.
I tend to have a dislike of expansions anyway. They typically only add "more of the same", or when they do introduce mechanics it's an added layer of complexity rather than a fresh way to play the game. There are, of course, exceptions to this general perception of mine.

The only expansion that intrigued for Zombies is Humans. Combining the two to have Humans vs Zombies seems like a cool idea and sounds like it'd genuinely change the playstyle and flavour.

And yeah, I know Zombies isn't very deep, but that was the appeal really. I have a few complicated games at my disposal, but nothing really party-friendly outside of Creationary. Sometimes you just want an easy to grasp, fun game that still has the strong sense of theme the more complicated games have.

Chairhome

Damn, Kickstarter is addicting. The great part (and the part that makes me spend the most money) is the digital versions of games you can play now before it ships. Backed Dungeon Roll, about to back Superfight.

I can't get it up for Dungeon Roll. It seems like yet another push your luck dice game in the vein of Martian Dice or Zombie Dice. They are fine games but not ones I absolutely need in my collection. There are a couple people in my group that are backing it so I'll probably try it out at some point.

Is 350 still expected for Space Hulk? Do you think the price will rise or fall over time?
$350 is pretty pricey. You can get it for $100 less through some of the sellers on BGG. One guy is selling it for $200, which is not too bad. As far as future price, I can only see it getting more expensive as time goes on, unless GW releases a fourth edition.

Duress

Does anyone have any suggestions of board games for people who don't understand English very well? Preferably with 5 or more people.

We've played Saboteur, and basically the only game that everyone understood. Something simple, I guess.

I know it's a difficult request, and I've tried to find something and nothing really comes to mind or looking on the internet. I'm stumped.

joelseph

Does anyone have any suggestions of board games for people who don't understand English very well? Preferably with 5 or people.

We've played Saboteur, and basically the only game that everyone understood. Something simple, I guess.

I know it's a difficult request, and I've tried to find something and nothing really comes to mind or looking on the internet. I'm stumped.

King of Tokyo

Does anyone have any suggestions of board games for people who don't understand English very well? Preferably with 5 or people.

There are tons of language independent games out there. Most Euro games need to be language independent in order to sell to different markets. I'd say a good portion of the games I own are language independent. Eclipse, Last Will, and Cyclades are just a couple games that first came to mind that are both language independent and can handle up to five players.

Firestorm

Does anyone have any suggestions of board games for people who don't understand English very well? Preferably with 5 or more people.

Ticket to Ride?

I might be trolling here, but... Dixit?

I'm right there with ya. I've only kickstarted one game, but I've had a friend kickstart half a dozen or so and there's pretty much always problems.

Yea I've been disappointed with a few, cheaper to buy it at retail and the extras often really are not even worth it. Rather like waiting for a game to be out that people can fully play it and give real reviews of it. Constantly get sick of hearing about a cool game or company announces something, only for it to be a kickstarter.... yay. Rather just see games get to the store and buying it for less. And seeing all these companies just using it as obvious preorder systems is getting pretty lame. Zombicide new kickstarter is full of nonsense, such as putting stretch goals that cost them nothing extra to do.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
To understand the symbols generally requires looking and reading the reference sheets

Well I was under the impression at least ONE of them speaks english and is able to explain the game? Once you know how the game works, there's no need for explanations anymore.

blurrygil

Damn, Kickstarter is addicting. The great part (and the part that makes me spend the most money) is the digital versions of games you can play now before it ships. Backed Dungeon Roll, about to back Superfight.

You're a good man, man. (or woman, if I'm wrong)

I can't get it up for Dungeon Roll. It seems like yet another push your luck dice game in the vein of Martian Dice or Zombie Dice. They are fine games but not ones I absolutely need in my collection. There are a couple people in my group that are backing it so I'll probably try it out at some point.

That's the thing for me, I haven't played or dove into other PYL dice games yet because I haven't found one that has enough depth like Dungeon Roll does (at least with the expansions/exclusive characters). So this is perfect for me. The value is incredible, too.

And I've been pretty choosey with KS's the last couple of years. But I think with all of the time has passed and experience people have with it now, add the fact that these games are all something I'm HIGHLY interested in, I've been on a really streak of backing.

I'd hold off on season 1 and the expansion and just go for the inmate level. The expansion can be picked up for cheaper later and there is nothing in the KS exclusive to that set. Season 1 is nice, but again, you can grab that cheaper elsewhere. Season 2 is a full game and seems to improve upon the difficulty of season 1. The $100 inmate level gets you every stretch goal and the KS exclusives which will not be sold outside the KS.

Ok, did some research: Amazon has the base game at $65. I can dive into the $150 level (gets both Mall & Prison expansions + exclusives) and then get the base game all at a savings of $40. I'm ok with that.

Nice. My friend already owns Cards Against Humanity (and it is constantly played) but theres always times where I wanna play it and he's not around, and my local gaming shop around here charges 50 bucks for the damn game, not counting expansions. Picked it up and the third expansion. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom