• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phthisis

Has anyone been able to play The Hobbit: On the Doorstep expansion of the LOTR LCG yet? Trying to figure out what heroes are in it (I know Bombur, but that's it).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally got around to trying out Flash Point this past weekend. The two games we played were polar opposites - first one had tons of back to back explosions, the building ended up collapsing from all the wall damage. Second game we had 2 players focus on controlling the fires, which combined with some better dice rolls helped us get a rather easy victory.

ParityBit

Here is a game I backed a few days ago.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/dungeon-roll-a-dicey-dungeon-delve

I have one of the other games and it's really fun.

Here is a small bump. They are hitting some nice goals so if you get in you could get some good promo's! I figure if I find kickstarter games I am backing I would post some here since I do not see too much on them in this thread.

Project Eternity (Kickstarter video game) just did a kick forward on this game. Don't know the connection, but it gave a nice bump!

damn the Space Hulk mini tabletop game is expensive af now. Did anybody do a reprint of it or are you stuck trying to get a "vintage" one off of ebay?

Krelian

Has anyone played the Resident Evil Deck Building Game? I first read about it a couple of days ago. Never even knew it existed, most likely because it's not available in Germany.

Is it worth giving it a try if I like Thunderstone a lot? If not, what other DBG should we try? We've only played Dominion and Thunderstone.

Has anyone played the Resident Evil Deck Building Game? I first read about it a couple of days ago. Never even knew it existed, most likely because it's not available in Germany.

Is it worth giving it a try if I like Thunderstone a lot? If not, what other DBG should we try? We've only played Dominion and Thunderstone.

It's ok game, it's main issue that folks have is that it can be fairly random with what enemies you fight. Game balance also is a bit uneven. But it has lot of options now and almost every set released has added a new way to play the game, so there are many variations of the rules available for type of game you want to play. Some of the later rules and variants also make for a better game I think as they can reduce randomness. The recent set to come out Mercenaries was real good as it took alot of community feedback and did alot of changes to the games numbers. It's a base set but revised cards basically from the core that create a faster and more predictable game. Enemy health weakened, player weapons damage increased, less uber boss, and customization options. If your a RE fan I think it might be worth a look.

Krelian

It's ok game, it's main issue that folks have is that it can be fairly random with what enemies you fight. Game balance also is a bit uneven. But it has lot of options now and almost every set released has added a new way to play the game, so there are many variations of the rules available for type of game you want to play. Some of the later rules and variants also make for a better game I think as they can reduce randomness. The recent set to come out Mercenaries was real good as it took alot of community feedback and did alot of changes to the games numbers. It's a base set but revised cards basically from the core that create a faster and more predictable game. Enemy health weakened, player weapons damage increased, less uber boss, and customization options. If your a RE fan I think it might be worth a look.
Thanks! Sounds like it could be fun. Is the Alliance set also OK for starters? Mercenaries is more expensive since I'd have to import it and Alliance is in stock at a local shop.

Neverfade

I'm in the US. Some guy from BGG is stationed in Germany and did some random act of kindness by selecting three people to import it for at cost. Funny thing is, the other two people backed out.

So I only had to pay about 60 for it shipped and APO mail is way faster than having it imported regularly (affordably at least) - got it in 7 business days. Win win.

I bought Legacy: Gears of Time the other day. It seems like an interesting card game about time travel. Seems like it could be a thinky game with card play like San Juan (building a tech requires you to discard cards) and area control, which I love.

Definitely in. Be hilarious to see how fast the pre-orders would sell out in light of Space Hulk. Probably within a couple minutes.
That's what everyone thought with Dreadfleet and that thing is still kicking around, going for less that $70 in some places. I would definitely be in for a Blood Bowl reissue.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I bought Legacy: Gears of Time the other day. It seems like an interesting card game about time travel. Seems like it could be a thinky game with card play like San Juan (building a tech requires you to discard cards) and area control, which I love.

That's what everyone thought with Dreadfleet and that thing is still kicking around, going for less that $70 in some places. I would definitely be in for a Blood Bowl reissue.

Yeah I thought about that when writing, but Dreadfleet really not a beloved franchise at all, ever. BB is pretty huge and just so much cooler too. Glossy expensive BB reboot would be god-damn delicious.

octobot

I bought legacy at gen con last year after demoing it and being really impressed with the time travel mechanic and the high level of screwing your opponents over which is possible. It's a cool game that I really have to get to the table again

fenners

Yeah I thought about that when writing, but Dreadfleet really not a beloved franchise at all, ever. BB is pretty huge and just so much cooler too. Glossy expensive BB reboot would be god-damn delicious.

Dreadfleet didn't have the buzz, the hype or the audience for it. Blood Bowl definitely does.

Thanks! Sounds like it could be fun. Is the Alliance set also OK for starters? Mercenaries is more expensive since I'd have to import it and Alliance is in stock at a local shop.

Alliance is the 2nd base set, so it works by itself, it's similar to the first set in design, just different cards you purchase and different enemy deck. Believe it's the set that added Partner mode, which is actually one of our favorite modes as it removes a ton of the games randomness.

Dreadfleet was something new and it's miniatures turned off many board gamers. It essentially was a reboot of a more obscure GW game Man O War, which never was that popular. Blood Bowl would surely do better, but folks are afraid that GW might have gotten scared after seeing Dreadfleet underperform compared to Space Hulk... course it appears they sold all their stock of the game either way. There was rumors that this years special board game from them would be Blood Bowl, so we can only hope.

Krelian

Alliance is the 2nd base set, so it works by itself, it's similar to the first set in design, just different cards you purchase and different enemy deck. Believe it's the set that added Partner mode, which is actually one of our favorite modes as it removes a ton of the games randomness.
Thanks again! I found a shop that ships Mercenaries for just €7 more than Alliance, so it's not that big a difference anymore. I guess I'll just get the cheaper one though and see if it's compatible with the group.

Which expansion for 7 Wonders is better, Cities or Leaders?
If you have to choose one, Leaders, definitely the better expansion. However, the "goal" objectives is a double edge sword, and some of my friends aren't too keen on that.

Cities is an interesting mish-mash of different, smaller ideas. I do like the diplomatic cards, and overall it does inject some more surprises on top of the base game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Okay guys, a question: What are some good "short" (45mins tops, ish) games that can be played by up to 5 players? I'm looking for some work-lunchbreak games, so they shouldn't be too long... I'm looking for 30-45mins, maybe an hour tops, but keep in mind that we don't just crazy rush through games, since it's a lunchbreak and we try and relax too :p I'm thinking games like 7 Wonders which has been a HUGE success for a lunch game, since it's pretty short, simple, fun and supports a lot of people. And it also has good replayability because of the different strategies, so we can bust it out quite often.

I'm thinking maybe RFTG, but I'm not sure how long it takes and I also don't think it supports 5p? (or maybe with an expansion?)

Again, we don't rush, so I don't think something like Dominion (where you can go REALLY fast if everyone plays fast, but I don't think we would) would work, but I can probably try. e.g. We play 7 Wonders with everyone presenting their picks one after the other, not everyone doing it at the same time ;)

King of Tokyo?

Totally forgot about this, yes, definitely worth a consideration, thanks. Anyone else have any other suggestions? :)

7 Wonders is now getting plaid nearly every lunchbreak, I don't want people to burn themselves out of it by only having 1 game to play :lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Pumped for a weekend of board gaming! Hope to get several games of Eclipse in. I also got my laser cut population cube trays just in time :)

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Thanks for all the recommendations for solo games, I had a few of them already and they are very fun! I am extremely interested in that Thunderbird/Apache Leader game, but I need to find a place that has it in stock in Toronto. So far it seems to be out of stock at my regular places, or not stocked at all.

Blizzard

Banned
Between the two expansions, I like leaders more. Cities is still good imo and makes the game even more interesting. The downfall of both expansions is the extra setup time they add to the game -_-
I haven't played Leaders, but I read through all the rules last weekend.

I did play Cities once, and I didn't like it even though I ended up in second or third place that game out of like 7 people. The main thing I disliked about Cities is how every age (we played with side B cities) there seemed to be 1-2 cards, wonders, or whatever that would remove 2-3 gold from everyone on the board. Considering you just start out with 3 gold, this meant that you could be really hurting for resources -- I couldn't even buy the level 1 resource cards due to no gold, and couldn't trade for the same reason, and then by age 2-3 I couldn't get the resource cards when I actually had gold, and couldn't finish my wonder because of it.

Basically the peace mechanic (certain things give you a peace symbol which means the person on your left fights the person on your right, and you need no military at all) wasn't too bad, but I felt like so many cards that did blanket gold removal weren't really very fun, and made the game a bit unpleasant. Normally it's a decent game. Granted, if one played Cities enough, there may be ways to work around it like trying to always keep 4+ gold on hand, but especially during the first age I feel like that's difficult.

Leaders sounded like it would have quite a bit of interesting variety for the game, but I don't know how well they are balanced.

Neverfade

Bora Bora: Hooooly shit, the stress! There's a million things to do and not nearly a million actions to do them in. My brain hurts.

But it is a fun game.

Xater

Bora Bora: Hooooly shit, the stress! There's a million things to do and not nearly a million actions to do them in. My brain hurts.

But it is a fun game.

Good to hear, but when it comes to Feld games I am currently more looking forward to Brügge. Should be out this month here in Germany and I am hoping for some reviews soon.

But it is a fun game.
There was a table of this going on in my game group last night. It seemed to get a good reaction from the group that was playing it. I'm a little gun shy with Feld games after my game of Macao last week. That game kicked me in the dick and then laughed at me. I lost something like 27 points due to penalties with unactivated cards. I wasn't expecting to have such a difficult time with it as it seemed fairly rules light, but man is it a tough game. If you played Macao, is Bora Bora as hard as that game?

Neverfade

There was a table of this going on in my game group last night. It seemed to get a good reaction from the group that was playing it. I'm a little gun shy with Feld games after my game of Macao last week. That game kicked me in the dick and then laughed at me. I lost something like 27 points due to penalties with unactivated cards. I wasn't expecting to have such a difficult time with it as it seemed fairly rules light, but man is it a tough game. If you played Macao, is Bora Bora as hard as that game?

I've not played Macao but am aware of its punishments. You can't lose points in Bora bora outright. It's more like Agricola in the sense that there's a good chance you're just not going to get it all done. It being all the conditions for various bonus points at the end, of which many are all-or-nothing.

Forgot to mention that I played Legacy: Gears of Time last night. Really fun game with a ton of screwage. We played with four players and I came in third. It was a pretty close game, I was only four points away from first and a point behind second.

I've not played Macao but am aware of its punishments. You can't lose points in Bora bora outright. It's more like Agricola in the sense that there's a good chance you're just not going to get it all done. It being all the conditions for various bonus points at the end, of which many are all-or-nothing.
Right on, I can handle that.

Smiley90

Totally forgot about this, yes, definitely worth a consideration, thanks. Anyone else have any other suggestions? :)

7 Wonders is now getting plaid nearly every lunchbreak, I don't want people to burn themselves out of it by only having 1 game to play :lol

Quoting myself here! I'm about to buy King of Tokyo, and possibly the Leaders expansions for our 7 Wonders game :) Still looking for input on <60mins long (preferably 30-45, MAYBE 60), 6player-capable games! We'll usually be 4/5 people playing, but can be up to 6. :) 7 Wonders has been a huge hit, King of Tokyo seems like a sweet addition.

I'm thinking:

Race for the Galaxy? (not sure how much fun/how long it takes with 6 people though)

Dominion? Might be, but might take too long, again, not sure. I only have the base set but I'm open to expansions :p

Coop? (Pandemic, Flash Point?) Again, not sure how long those take, haven't played them

I'm welcoming any other kind of suggestion! :) Looking for lunchbreak games, so we don't burn out on playing 7 Wonders 4 times a week :lol

GTI Guy

Quoting myself here! I'm about to buy King of Tokyo, and possibly the Leaders expansions for our 7 Wonders game :) Still looking for input on <60mins long (preferably 30-45, MAYBE 60), 6player-capable games! We'll usually be 4/5 people playing, but can be up to 6. :) 7 Wonders has been a huge hit, King of Tokyo seems like a sweet addition.

I'm thinking:

Race for the Galaxy? (not sure how much fun/how long it takes with 6 people though)

Dominion? Might be, but might take too long, again, not sure. I only have the base set but I'm open to expansions :p

Coop? (Pandemic, Flash Point?) Again, not sure how long those take, haven't played them

I'm welcoming any other kind of suggestion! :) Looking for lunchbreak games, so we don't burn out on playing 7 Wonders 4 times a week :lol

I think RftG, Dominion, and Pandemic are 4 player only...Pandemic might go to 5 with an expansion though...

Smiley90

I think RftG, Dominion, and Pandemic are 4 player only...Pandemic might go to 5 with an expansion though...

Right, Dominion is 4p, totally forgot. RFTG allows for 6 with expansions... but yeah :x Hence me asking for other games here :)

Smiley90

How about Cards Against Humanity? :)

I have it, but it doesn't strike me as a game you can really play a lot. It's more of a party game that you take out SOMETIMES, because if you play it too often all the combos get old... :x

Dreavus

Dominion CAN go up to 6 players with a second set of base cards, but I would recommend against it (better off with two 3 player games at that point).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom