• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTI Guy

I have it, but it doesn't strike me as a game you can really play a lot. It's more of a party game that you take out SOMETIMES, because if you play it too often all the combos get old... :x

Here's a few...

Citadels
The Resistance
Glory to Rome
Shadows Over Camelot

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Citadels no -- you guys will love it. Shadows is a deeper traitor game a la BSG (but a bit simpler).

Mhmmm I think one of my coworkers actually DID bring Citadels once, I just wasn't there. So that's definitely around. I'm not TOO big on the traitor games, especially because they're usually "the more people, the better", and I'm not sure 4-6 people is enough for that? What's Glory to Rome like?

which one of Resistance/Shadows is better, given that they're both traitor-based games then? Having both would be somewhat of a waste :p BGG reviews indicate that Resistance is better? 5player minimum though makes me wary of how much fun it actually IS with 5 players :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Not a lot of 6p games that are under an hour.

Looking through my collection real quickly...

Could likely be done in an hour or less:

Bohanza - up to 7
Back to the Future - up to 6
7 Wonders - up to 7
Resistance - up to 10
Dominion (w/ Intrigue expansion) - up to 6
Red November - up to 8
Cash N Guns - up to 6
Citadels - up to 7
Slide 5 - up to 10
Ave Caesar - up to 6

Borderline - may slip past an hour depending on players, rounds played, etc:
Winner's Circle (aka Royal Turf) - up to 6
Saboteur - up to 10
Alhambra - up to 6
Bang - up to 7 or 8 (depending on expansions)

Hour minimum:
Isla Dorada - up to 6
Last Night on Earth - up to 6
Battlestar Galactica - up to 6
Tales of the Arabian Nights - up to 6
Power Grid - up to 6
Senji - up to 6
Arkham Horror - up to 8
Starcraft - up to 6
Formula D - up to 10
History of the World - up to 6

A lot more games are 4 or 5 player max.

Smiley90

Not a lot of 6p games that are under an hour.

Looking through my collection real quickly...

Could likely be done in an hour or less:

Bohanza - up to 7
Back to the Future - up to 6
7 Wonders - up to 7
Resistance - up to 10
Dominion (w/ Intrigue expansion) - up to 6
Red November - up to 8
Cash N Guns - up to 6
Citadels - up to 7
Slide 5 - up to 10
Ave Caesar - up to 6

Borderline - may slip past an hour depending on players:
Winner's Circle (aka Royal Turf) - up to 6
Saboteur - up to 10
Alhambra - up to 6
Bang - up to 7 or 8 (depending on expansions)

Hour minimum:
Isla Dorada - up to 6
Last Night on Earth - up to 6
Battlestar Galactica - up to 6
Tales of the Arabian Nights - up to 6
Power Grid - up to 6
Senji - up to 6
Arkham Horror - up to 8
Starcraft - up to 6
Formula D - up to 10
History of the World - up to 6

A lot more games are 4 or 5 player max.

yeah if it was just 4/5p I'd know a lot more games too... But... we're up to 6 and I don't want to exclude anyone. 7 Wonders has been a HUGE hit and it's getting a lot of playtime, so I'm thinking something like that.

King of Tokyo I'll probably end up buying, I know one of my coworkers HAS Citadels, so we can bring those 2 as well.

XiaNaphryz

Forgot to add:

Hour minimum:
Dominant Species - up to 6
Eclipse - up to 6 (9 w/ expansion)

yeah if it was just 4/5p I'd know a lot more games too... But... we're up to 6 and I don't want to exclude anyone. 7 Wonders has been a HUGE hit and it's getting a lot of playtime, so I'm thinking something like that.

King of Tokyo I'll probably end up buying, I know one of my coworkers HAS Citadels, so we can bring those 2 as well.

Our game group often ends up in situations like yours - when there's 6 or 7 people, it's not easy to get 2 4p games going, and doing a 5p and a 2p on the side doesn't always work (but it can, given the right games and people). What we often do in these situations is, if there's a game a few people aren't familiar with, pair 1 or 2 people up together as a team and play a 4p or 5p game. Sometimes pairing a newbie w/ an experienced player so they can more quickly see both how to play and some strategy, sometimes pairing the newbies together if they want to figure it out on their own. This approach highly depends on the players involved, of course.

Smiley90

Forgot to add:

Hour minimum:
Dominant Species - up to 6
Eclipse - up to 6 (9 w/ expansion)

Our game group often ends up in situations like yours - when there's 6 or 7 people, it's not easy to get 2 4p games going, and doing a 5p and a 2p on the side doesn't always work (but it can, given the right games and people). What we often do in these situations is, if there's a game a few people aren't familiar with, pair 1 or 2 people up together as a team and play a 4p or 5p game. Sometimes pairing a newbie w/ an experienced player so they can more quickly see both how to play and some strategy, sometimes pairing the newbies together if they want to figure it out on their own. This approach highly depends on the players involved, of course.

I`m not even going to consider hour minimum games, sorry, but thanks anyway :D It`s at work, where we DO have flexible lunch break (research wohoo), but taking people away from their experiments for more than an hour is not the best idea. 1hour is more of a maximum, actually. (hence why 7 Wonders is perfect. Up to 7 people, lots of replayability, lots of fun, and really fast). The games are played while we eat and talk, so we don`t play super-fast, either.

XiaNaphryz

I`m not even going to consider hour minimum games, sorry, but thanks anyway :D It`s at work, where we DO have flexible lunch break (research wohoo), but taking people away from their experiments for more than an hour is not the best idea. 1hour is more of a maximum, actually. (hence why 7 Wonders is perfect. Up to 7 people, lots of replayability, lots of fun, and really fast). The games are played while we eat and talk, so we don`t play super-fast, either.

Another thing you can consider is that there are games that, after experience, can go around 45 minutes. But the first game or two may take 60-70 min due to learning - so in those cases, you may want to do a few learning sessions where you may not finish the game, but once everyone's familiar with the game you can go for a full game.

Smiley90

Another thing you can consider is that there are games that, after experience, can go around 45 minutes. But the first game or two may take 60-70 min due to learning - so in those cases, you may want to do a few learning sessions where you may not finish the game, but once everyone's familiar with the game you can go for a full game.

Makes sense. Like I said, we can have quite flexible lunch breaks, so I can easily go all `k the first game is gonna take a bit longer` and it`ll be fine. I just don`t know too many games that are short AND support up to 6 people. Getting some good suggestions here though, totally forgot about King of Tokyo, will also look into Resistance and Shadows, or whatever else comes up :)

has anyone got any tips for leveling the playing field for BSG?

we are up to multiple games where the cylons just trounce us with no human wins. the closest we have got is 7 distance after which usually the fleet gets us as a revealed cylons abuse the ridiculously powered super crisis cards then move the fleet to finish us off. we have tried with no sympathiser and increased resources to no avail. I kinda get the feeling we are missing something basic but we always try to use as many exec orders to double up on actions and use resources where we can. any tactics we are missing for the humans?

Hero

we are up to multiple games where the cylons just trounce us with no human wins. the closest we have got is 7 distance after which usually the fleet gets us as a revealed cylons abuse the ridiculously powered super crisis cards then move the fleet to finish us off. we have tried with no sympathiser and increased resources to no avail. I kinda get the feeling we are missing something basic but we always try to use as many exec orders to double up on actions and use resources where we can. any tactics we are missing for the humans?

Are you ever throwing anyone into the brig?

mercviper

Quoting myself here! I'm about to buy King of Tokyo, and possibly the Leaders expansions for our 7 Wonders game :) Still looking for input on <60mins long (preferably 30-45, MAYBE 60), 6player-capable games! We'll usually be 4/5 people playing, but can be up to 6. :) 7 Wonders has been a huge hit, King of Tokyo seems like a sweet addition.

I'm thinking:

Race for the Galaxy? (not sure how much fun/how long it takes with 6 people though)

Dominion? Might be, but might take too long, again, not sure. I only have the base set but I'm open to expansions :p

Coop? (Pandemic, Flash Point?) Again, not sure how long those take, haven't played them

I'm welcoming any other kind of suggestion! :) Looking for lunchbreak games, so we don't burn out on playing 7 Wonders 4 times a week :lol

What about Wits & Wagers, For Sale, or Dixit? They're on the lighter end of things but play up to 7,6,6 respectively and play very quickly.

Another thing about Resistance is that I find the most enjoyable games of those tend to get super rowdy, so I don't know if that's okay in the workplace. Also, the big plus I find it has over mafia/werewolf is that you don't knock a person out for the entire game so everybody is playing the whole time.

Dominion can be played up to 6, you just need an expansion that provides more estates/duchys/provinces. The addendum to the rules that allow for 6 are basically +3 of each VP card per person and game ends on 4 piles going out instead of 3.

For Flash Point(6), I think you'll be okay, but anyone AP prone could push you past an hour. Don't play Pandemic with more than 4, you'll never win if you try to modify the game to allow that. Well maybe you could if you wrote your own special event to reshuffle all of part of the discard. (Now I want to write that event...)

XiaNaphryz

Don't play Pandemic with more than 4, you'll never win if you try to modify the game to allow that. Well maybe you could if you wrote your own special event to reshuffle all of part of the discard. (Now I want to write that event...)

Bah, our group has beaten Pandemic with 5 players. Win rate's still hovering around 50% though at that size. ;)

Xater

Quoting myself here! I'm about to buy King of Tokyo, and possibly the Leaders expansions for our 7 Wonders game :) Still looking for input on <60mins long (preferably 30-45, MAYBE 60), 6player-capable games! We'll usually be 4/5 people playing, but can be up to 6. :) 7 Wonders has been a huge hit, King of Tokyo seems like a sweet addition.

I'm thinking:

Race for the Galaxy? (not sure how much fun/how long it takes with 6 people though)

Dominion? Might be, but might take too long, again, not sure. I only have the base set but I'm open to expansions :p

Coop? (Pandemic, Flash Point?) Again, not sure how long those take, haven't played them

I'm welcoming any other kind of suggestion! :) Looking for lunchbreak games, so we don't burn out on playing 7 Wonders 4 times a week :lol

Flash Point absolutely fits the bill. You can also play it with 6 players out of the box and it's great fun.

Blizzard

Banned
Citadels and the resistance are both "werewolf/mafia" style games, right? Are the other 2 as well?
Citadels is only werewolf/mafia style in the sense that each round, everyone has a secret role, but it changes up every time around the table, and your role is just to help you do better in the overall game of collecting gold and buying buildings for your city.

Neverfade

How are they abusing the Super Crisis cards?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I played like six games of Sentinels of the Multiverse yesterday with a group of my friends. My one friend has well over 200 board games, but Sentinels is by far my favorite thing we've played. What a great god damn game.

Anyone know of any good looking kickstarter games currently going on (besides Dungeon Roll?) I am feeling generous.
Zombicide: Prison Break. It's a full game/expansion, they are also doing a full on expansion that needs either games. The expansion is called Toxic City Mall.
Legacy Forbidden Machines. Its an expansion for Legacy Gears of Time. One of the pledge levels has the base game included.
Expedition is a reprint of a supposedly good Wolfgang Kramer game.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Got my copy of Thunderbolt Apache Leader. Now to learn how to play, there are so many choices to make when setting up a campaign.

So, I have some SimShitty money coming back to me sometime this week or next and was thinking about applying the refund to a board game. I've seen a few posts about Tammany Hall, but wanted to see your opinions about the following games:

Tammany Hall: Looks real nice as a political intrigue game. It has really good reviews, so the only thing I really want to know is how it holds up replay-wise.

Ground Floor: Like all interesting Kickstarters, I completely missed it but was still impressed with it. It looks like a very interesting Euro game with a nice theme.

Tzolk'in - the Mayan Calendar: It has really good reviews and is played nearly every week by a local gaming group (but I've never gotten a chance to play it).

So, I have some SimShitty money coming back to me sometime this week or next and was thinking about applying the refund to a board game. I've seen a few posts about Tammany Hall, but wanted to see your opinions about the following games:

Tammany Hall: Looks real nice as a political intrigue game. It has really good reviews, so the only thing I really want to know is how it holds up replay-wise.

Ground Floor: Like all interesting Kickstarters, I completely missed it but was still impressed with it. It looks like a very interesting Euro game with a nice theme.

Tzolk'in - the Mayan Calendar: It has really good reviews and is played nearly every week by a local gaming group (but I've never gotten a chance to play it).
Tammany Hall is a great game. It has pretty high replay value. Besides the initial setup the immigrant cubes are drawn at random so never really know which immigrants are going to come on the board.

Tzolk'in is great as well, probably my favorite out of the two. The game has a number of different paths to victory and I find it fun to just try something completely new every time I play. That may be just because it's still a new game but even after the newness wears off I like the idea of having multiple strategies I can use to try and win.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Yggdrasil is a nice solo game. It is easier with just one player so you can ramp up the difficulty which is nice.

Elder Sign is fun, but I mostly just play the Omens app.

For dedicated solo games, the Hornet Leader & Thunderbolt/Apache Leader games are AWESOME, especially TAL. DVG really has a good system with TAL, I hope he exploits the hell out of it.

Victory Point Games makes a bunch of solo games. Nemo's War is a classic. Legion of Darkness is a fun fantasy theme to their States of Siege system (which basically has the player trying to beat back 4-5 lines of advancing enemies. The cards all a surprising amount of theme, be it fantasy or historical). I have one of their new boxed games on order, if they can up their production quality to match the game play they will be a force to be reckoned with.

I have Fields of Fire, which is supposed to be a stellar solo platoon tactics game, but was defeated by the rules. There is a new rulebook out, gotta try it out.

Runebound is pretty fun solo, you just race against a clock mechanism. I actually think FFG is gonna reboot both Runebound and Arkham Horror in the next few years, which will probably be for the better, despite the wailing of the interwebs of all the guys (like me) who have the hundreds of dollars of expansions for these games. Getting rid of the movement dice mechanic in Runebound will go a long way to making that game play better. I like the fidelity of the combat system, but it is slow. I don't necessarily want it reduced to a single die roll, but some streamlining might help.

I just finished my first campaign of TAL, thanks so much for the recommendation, it's awesome!

Would you recommend any of the other leader series if I already have and enjoy TAL? Are they different enough to warrant another purchase?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Tammany Hall may be the greatest game in the history of board games and everyone should own at least 10 copies.

JesseZao

So iso dominion is finally working again for me!

Just in time for iso dominion to actually shut down tomorrow :(

I really should learn how to play Innovation on iso.

Unison

Should I buy Alhambra or Flash Point? I'm tossing up between these two.

Both are worthwhile, with several expansions...

The biggest difference is that one is competitive (Alhambra... though it's not really aggressive), while the other is cooperative. I would say that Alhambra is a little easier to get into if you're looking for a gateway game. Flash Point is easier to make difficult if you want more of a challenge.

Personally, I prefer Pandemic to Flash Point, and there's no need to own both, so if I was going to recommend one, I'd say Alhambra ...

Unison

Anyone know of any good looking kickstarter games currently going on (besides Dungeon Roll?) I am feeling generous.

I'd second the recommendation for Expedition... I've played the old version, and it's a lot of fun and easy to learn, with subtle strategies.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1545517208/expedition-famous-explorers-a-game-by-wolfgang-kra

They've added the minis into the $40 game, which makes it a much better value proposition than it initially was. I am hoping it funds, because I'd love a copy.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I just finished my first campaign of TAL, thanks so much for the recommendation, it's awesome!

Would you recommend any of the other leader series if I already have and enjoy TAL? Are they different enough to warrant another purchase?

The other "leader" games don't have the map and counter system of TAL, they abstract the geospacial relationship between units a bit more. I have Hornet leader but have not gotten to play it yet as my baby is WAY more work than I expected :) Phantom Leader is on iOS, so you could try it out for 10 (maybe $15). Anyway, virtually the same system, but some tweaks. I really like that map system though, I hope he updates Corsair Leader (WW2 era) to use it, as I imagine it could represent Japanese island bases and maybe even fleet deployments really well. I've not tried the submarine version, but I suspect it is roughly similar. I'm hoping "The Hunters" from GMT is a more personal single U-boat experience.

It is brutally expensive and hard to get, but I hear "Where there is Discord" is a great solo game about the Falklands conflict.

I got "In Magnificent Style" from VPG. WOW, did they ever upgrade their components! No joke about the carbon residue though, now I know why no one else uses a laser :) ill post a review when I get it to the table. Also got "Friday" from Friedman friese. Small solo card game. Wish Rio Grande would proof the rules a bit better, sucks to see basic typos in their FF games as it makes them feel cheap ( the "speach" card in First Sparks is a good example). Also ordered the latest "Hold the Line" game from Worthington Games. Covering the 7 years war, looks to be a tactical wargame around the C&C level but without the card management system so it should play solo a bit better. Got the Locknloaded Eisenberg Gap game on order as well, another easy solo system I hear.

Are there any other current production modern war games? The genre seems amazingly sparse aside from the GMT card driven games and a few others. I want Abrams versus T90s, strykers and MRAPs, drone strikes and paladin artillery!

What's the verdict on Zombicide now it's been out for a while & the prelaunch craziness has subsided?

I still really enjoy it. Finally finished painting all the miniatures from the Abomination pack a few weeks ago. But it also depends on who you play with. I have one friend who just can't think ahead and it sort of feels like we're playing for him at times because he's always asking what to do. But when everyone "gets" the game it's great. Pledging for this new Kickstarter of theirs was my easiest no brainer out of how much enjoyment I got out of it the first time.

What's the verdict on Zombicide now it's been out for a while & the prelaunch craziness has subsided?
I think it's a lot of fun. Sure there are issues with the rules and the leveling system can be exploited to make things easier but it's still a fun game to play.

If you were thinking about jumping in on the kickstarter I would just go for the season 2 set and ignore season 1 and the expansion. Season 2 is a complete game and if you end up liking it you can pick the expansion up for cheaper later and not miss anything from the kickstarter.

fenners

I think it's a lot of fun. Sure there are issues with the rules and the leveling system can be exploited to make things easier but it's still a fun game to play.

If you were thinking about jumping in on the kickstarter I would just go for the season 2 set and ignore season 1 and the expansion. Season 2 is a complete game and if you end up liking it you can pick the expansion up for cheaper later and not miss anything from the kickstarter.

Yeah thinking of jumping in on the Inmate level for the Prison set. Doing the Prison+ToxicMall seems like a dumb waste of money as there's no 'extra' value to it, the Toxic Mall will be available separately for less via CSI etc. Ta, Joey.

Interfectum

my wife is really getting into jigsaw puzzles, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for knowledge of a really good jigsaw puzzle. (quality, image, etc)

my wife is really getting into jigsaw puzzles, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for knowledge of a really good jigsaw puzzle. (quality, image, etc)
I think any good tile laying game may scratch that it. Carcassone is a good light one that feels kind of like building a puzzle. Another game I can think of is Vegas Showdown which has an auction element but the tile laying is used to build your casino. It's more of a spacial puzzle but it still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom