• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy it, hunt down instructions online in the language you want, print and voila? I didn't see any specific files for BB4 on BGG, but I'm sure someone has to have SOMETHING.

I said in the first post that I thought it felt less convenient. With all the expansions it requires many pages of rules. It is no dealbreaker but it is a big reason in the choice between the Dutch and German version for me.

blurrygil

Runewars is great. The only drawback is that the heroes are.... lacking in the base game. The expansion makes them not nearly as worthless.

A fun empire building game. Very Twilight Imperium light -- albeit still a good 3 hour game with a full compliment of 4, most likely. Note that the combat is based on a fate deck and not dice if that sort of thing bothers you.

I've been curious about this, as well. My group and I like Defenders of the Realm, so this also caught my eye.

I played Merchant of Venus last night, we played with FFG's Standard game. I actually really liked it but there are flaws. First off, the game is just too long and sort of fizzles out at the end. The most exciting part about the game is the first two thirds. The exploration in the beginning is fun and provides an element of surprise. The middle part of the game is getting your engine running. The problem is the last third, you are just sort of moving around trying to find something to do or finishing up whatever it is you were doing in the first two thirds of the game. I honestly think you can lop off the last ten rounds and not really miss anything.

Gala

Runewars is great. The only drawback is that the heroes are.... lacking in the base game. The expansion makes them not nearly as worthless.

A fun empire building game. Very Twilight Imperium light -- albeit still a good 3 hour game with a full compliment of 4, most likely. Note that the combat is based on a fate deck and not dice if that sort of thing bothers you.

Thanks for the impression! So because I love sci-fi-themed games, I should pick up Twilight Imperium as well?

mjc

So I've decided to jump headfirst into the world of board games. I mainly wanted to get into them because my gf was interested in game nights. So I predominantly went with games that at least focused on 2 players. I did a bit of research and ordered:

Smash Up (And the expansion)
King of Tokyo (And the expansion)
Lost Cities
Pandemic

I think those should be a nice springboard for both of us since we're new to the idea of board games. (Outside of Monopoly and the old standbys) Would you guys have any other recommendations for must have games? Eventually I'd want to have game nights with some friends too. (Which is why I grabbed Smash Up and King of Tokyo)

Flynn

I'm considering picking up Small World. It looks like a good game. Opinions?

I am not crazy about it -- very light area control. The upside is that there is a lot of variety with the way that the armies and power slot together. If you are curious try the iOS app.

Phthisis

Thanks for the impression! So because I love sci-fi-themed games, I should pick up Twilight Imperium as well?

Twilight Imperium is THE sci-fi game. Just don't expect to be able to knock out a game in any reasonable amount of time. Playing it is an all-day (or multi-day) affair. That said, it will give you experiences that you will remember forever.

Neverfade

From BGG:

There's a new website called Esoteric Order of Gamers -- they offer free (donation optional) rules sheets. They seem really nicely designed and have a nice selection. I might buy card stock just to make a couple of these.

This is a rebranding of UniversalHead's Headless Hollow rules site, so needless to say its pretty damn handy.

Runewars is probably a good jumping off point. It takes probably half the time to play a game. If you like Runewars, then I can recommend TI3 heartily. It adds plenty to make the game different enough from Runewars, but they both have a somewhat similar feel.

Unison

I think those should be a nice springboard for both of us since we're new to the idea of board games. (Outside of Monopoly and the old standbys) Would you guys have any other recommendations for must have games? Eventually I'd want to have game nights with some friends too. (Which is why I grabbed Smash Up and King of Tokyo)

A nice gateway euro like Catan, Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne might be a good next step. The latter two of those play very well with two.

That being said, take your take acquiring new games... watch video reviews online... wait until you've played what you have to get a sense of your tastes.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I can't give any details.. but you Ameritrashers may have won.

I think we will be putting out two thematic games early next year. Possibly with minis and lots of custom die.

Neverfade

Anyone have any experience with City of Remnants? Shut up & Sit Down's review has me pretty excited to check it out, but all of their reviews do that. Hell, they make Mage Knight look fun.

Impressions?

So I've decided to jump headfirst into the world of board games. I mainly wanted to get into them because my gf was interested in game nights. So I predominantly went with games that at least focused on 2 players. I did a bit of research and ordered:

Smash Up (And the expansion)
King of Tokyo (And the expansion)
Lost Cities
Pandemic

Great start. I am in a similar boat and looking at a wide selection of games to add to my collection. Smash Up and King of Tokyo were actually in my Amazon basket not less than an hour ago oddly enough, but instead I chose to get my wife a slew of books for my wife for mother's day :p Since you and I seem to be in a similar situation, I'll share my next planned couple of purchases.

Survive: Escape From Atlantis + expansions
Carcassonne
The Settlers of Catan
and I will get King of Tokyo and Smash Up with expansions as well

I just bought Ticket to Ride today and plan on playing it tonight. It's one of those games where I've herd nothing but good things about so I'm eager to give it a test run.

Tried out Arctic Scavengers. We really liked it. Deck builder essentially but with 3 different ways you acquire the cards instead of the usual one most deck builders have. Combat is not threatening or harmful to anyone, it's just another method of potentially winning another card for your deck. Theres also not tons of special abilities or unique card effects that create rule issues, the cards mainly focus on 4 main stats and modify them.

Keasar

I really need to stop watching Shut Up & Sit Down, when they like a game, they just radiate enthusiasm for it that is infecting. Now I am considering looking at City of Remnants too next month because of them.

Any GAFers with experience of it?

mjc

Goddamnit I realized when my order from Amazon got here that I ordered the Lost Cities board game and not the card game. Should I keep it anyways...is it a solid little game? Looks like its from the same people but a variation on the game.

sneaky77

I really need to stop watching Shut Up & Sit Down, when they like a game, they just radiate enthusiasm for it that is infecting. Now I am considering looking at City of Remnants too next month because of them.

I watched their video because of this post and now I am on the same situation

Also watched the watch it played explanation of the rules and that made it look really cool also

JesseZao

I've yet to play a four-player game, which would probably be more ideal, but it was still fun with two. It has has a lot of different mechanics that work together smoothly. As long as you aren't expecting a straight warfare game like Risk and realize it's a victory point game (a problem many newbies have with Twilight Imperium) I think there is a lot of fun to be had.

So new Bystander cards for Legendary expansion are posted up, look like they now have "reward" abilities that trigger when you rescue them instead of being blank cards for use with other cards.

Whut'd the send ya? I'll buy anything extra or don't want! :3

Yea I'm sure I could unload it, but waiting to hear from CMON about it and what they want me to do. Hopefully they let let me keep the wrong item and just send me what I asked for hehe.

JesseZao

Picked up Arkham Horror today. Now I just have to figure out how to play it.....

Really not too complicated. Just follow the action phase descriptions from the rule book. You'll have to reference it for monster types and timings, but it'll click once you've played a couple of rounds. "Hardest" part is the somewhat lengthy setup.

fenners

Really not too complicated. Just follow the action phase descriptions from the rule book. You'll have to reference it for monster types and timings, but it'll click once you've played a couple of rounds. "Hardest" part is the somewhat lengthy setup.

I will say, the Headless Hollow summaries are excellent for Arkham Horror, and there's a great couple of flow charts on the Geek that handle the "flow" better than the rule book.

JesseZao

I will say, the Headless Hollow summaries are excellent for Arkham Horror, and there's a great couple of flow charts on the Geek that handle the "flow" better than the rule book.

Yeah. I def look for videos and geek files to learn a game faster/easier, was mostly just saying it's not a terribly hard game to learn.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to the next Tide of Iron expansion.

pic1658650_md_zpsc3300dbf.jpg

1A Games is taking a lot of community feedback, which is great. The kickstarter should begin soon. It will also be released into stores. Glad that it isn't in the hand of FFG anymore.

Angst

Looking forward to the next Tide of Iron expansion.

pic1658650_md_zpsc3300dbf.jpg

1A Games is taking a lot of community feedback, which is great. The kickstarter should begin soon. It will also be released into stores. Glad that it isn't in the hand of FFG anymore.

Why? I thought FFG was a pretty solid publisher.

Angst

Are there any good super fun non-competitive games for two players? Competitive games stress me out.

I'm looking for something similar, although I'd like it to scale up so it fits more players as well.

Currently my options are:

Pandemic - seems a bit too complicated for my group
Escape: Curse of the Temple - I'll probably order this, though it's far from stress-free :p
Flash Point - Or maybe I'll get this instead, can't really decide. It certainly looks interesting.

Edit: ok, I've narrowed it down to either Escape or Flash Point. I can't pick one... Halp

blurrygil

So new Bystander cards for Legendary expansion are posted up, look like they now have "reward" abilities that trigger when you rescue them instead of being blank cards for use with other cards.

Yea I'm sure I could unload it, but waiting to hear from CMON about it and what they want me to do. Hopefully they let let me keep the wrong item and just send me what I asked for hehe.

Haha, I hope so as well!

Oh man oh man, I might bite on Tides of Iron now. I want to compare it to Memoir 44 and see which "wins out" as my WWII game of choice. :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I hope so as well!

Oh man oh man, I might bite on Tides of Iron now. I want to compare it to Memoir 44 and see which "wins out" as my WWII game of choice. :)

Memoir is definitely easier to play, but for me I just love the components and minis that come with ToI.

Korey

I'm looking for something similar, although I'd like it to scale up so it fits more players as well.

Currently my options are:

Pandemic - seems a bit too complicated for my group
Escape: Curse of the Temple - I'll probably order this, though it's far from stress-free :p
Flash Point - Or maybe I'll get this instead, can't really decide. It certainly looks interesting.

Edit: ok, I've narrowed it down to either Escape or Flash Point. I can't pick one... Halp

Bumping. I'm not looking for "stress-free" necessarily. Just not competitive. Sometimes I want to play a board game and not be competing with whoever I'm playing with, you know?

Flynn

Bumping. I'm not looking for "stress-free" necessarily. Just not competitive. Sometimes I want to play a board game and not be competing with whoever I'm playing with, you know?

Another way to go is to look for board games that don't have much interaction. A lot of people say that when you're playing Agricola you're actually playing against the game rather than the other player.

Much depends on whether you get really worked up about those scores at the end of the game.

sneaky77

look into co-op games? Elder Sign, the ones listed there Pandemic, FlashPoint, the D&D dungeon crawlers, mice and mystics.. there are quite a few co-op games out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom