• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't give any details.. but you Ameritrashers may have won.

I think we will be putting out two thematic games early next year. Possibly with minis and lots of custom die.

Minis and dice! I'm already in.
wSmAmRd.jpg

Bumping. I'm not looking for "stress-free" necessarily. Just not competitive. Sometimes I want to play a board game and not be competing with whoever I'm playing with, you know?

Can't comment on the games you mentioned (aside from Pandemic, which is pretty good, but definitely stressful). If you want a lighter game that isn't co-op, but is still very stressfree, check out Dixit. Basically: Beautiful art cards, a player makes up a little "story" about one secretly, each other player provides a card from their own hand that matches the story, and then everyone tries to guess which was the original. Repeat until you have a winner.

Bumping. I'm not looking for "stress-free" necessarily. Just not competitive. Sometimes I want to play a board game and not be competing with whoever I'm playing with, you know?
How about something like Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's technically a competitive game but if you are playing it to win you are playing it wrong. The game is a story telling game and the only thing you are really doing in the game is traveling a map having encounters. The encounters are little stories read from this giant book. Each encounter is different and each will either reward you with new skills or curse you in some fashion. Think of it like a more elaborate Choose your Own Adventure.

Angst

Ok, reposting my earlier question.

I want a game that's not too complicated and that's different from my current games.

My current collection:

1. Ticket to Ride (USA, Asia and Africa) - me and my group love this
2. Airlines Europe (recommended by GAF earlier) - half my group like this more than TTR, half thinks it's good, but not better than TTR. I love it, thanks Neverfade for the recommend!
3. Game of Thrones The Board Game - this didn't go down well with my group. Too many rules and too american. :p
4. Settlers - it's ok, but not my favourite
5. Carcassone - just got this
6. Monoply, Risk, Scrabble and the usual casual/bad games.

I'm considering Escape: Curse of the Temple, Pandemic, Flash Point or something similar. Or if someone else has a good recommendation. I have a buddy going to Germany next week and as games are much cheaper there I'm going to let her pick it up. Downside is that rules and game text will be in German. I do speak German, but I'd prefer to avoid text-heavy games.

fenners

See that its by game salute and then also read the first line of the kick starter lol. Fuck them, I'll wait to get it at coolstuff for 40% off.

Have CSI stocked any of the previous editions, I thought GameSalute wouldn't deal with discounters? Regardless, I thoroughly agree with your stance.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Think I'm done with alien frontiers and their piecemeal expansions and updating of the original game. Good game worth owning but not spending $30+ every few months over because they keep tweaking the board or dice or tokens or something.

Think I'm done with alien frontiers and their piecemeal expansions and updating of the original game. Good game worth owning but not spending $30+ every few months over because they keep tweaking the board or dice or tokens or something.

Yep, base game is good but I don't like how they are treating the game.

Neverfade

+1 fuck game salute. I trade for any game that uses them that I'm interested in, as I refuse to support their bullshit.

And fenners is right, they don't discount. Game Salute games are available through their website, Amazon, and boards and bits, or a local store -- none of which are allowed to discount them if they want to keep receiving stock.

Korey

Another way to go is to look for board games that don't have much interaction. A lot of people say that when you're playing Agricola you're actually playing against the game rather than the other player.

Much depends on whether you get really worked up about those scores at the end of the game.

look into co-op games? Elder Sign, the ones listed there Pandemic, FlashPoint, the D&D dungeon crawlers, mice and mystics.. there are quite a few co-op games out there.

Can't comment on the games you mentioned (aside from Pandemic, which is pretty good, but definitely stressful). If you want a lighter game that isn't co-op, but is still very stressfree, check out Dixit. Basically: Beautiful art cards, a player makes up a little "story" about one secretly, each other player provides a card from their own hand that matches the story, and then everyone tries to guess which was the original. Repeat until you have a winner.

How about something like Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's technically a competitive game but if you are playing it to win you are playing it wrong. The game is a story telling game and the only thing you are really doing in the game is traveling a map having encounters. The encounters are little stories read from this giant book. Each encounter is different and each will either reward you with new skills or curse you in some fashion. Think of it like a more elaborate Choose your Own Adventure.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em coming.

I'll look into:

Agricola
Elder Sign
Pandemic
FlashPoint
Mice and Mystics
Dixit
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Forbidden Island
Shadows over Camelot
Ghost Stories
Atlantis Rising
Robinson Crusoe
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Sentinels of the Multiverse

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Agricola is a pretty deep dive. I'd suggest something light and co-op like Pandemic or even Forbidden Island (even simpler than Pandemic but still fun and works great with casuals).

fenners

Agricola is a pretty deep dive. I'd suggest something light and co-op like Pandemic or even Forbidden Island (even simpler than Pandemic but still fun and works great with casuals).

Listen to Astrolad. Agricola's a fantastic game, but it's not like the others you've discussed at all.

Today, I might make my first board game purchase ever: Netrunner. Pretty hyped, looks great, and hopefully my SO will like it as well. We need something a little more deep than Scrabble.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jumping from scrabble to a ccg like game is a pretty big leap.

Seriously! Man I love Netrunner, but just know it will take you a few hours to learn it, and hopefully you have a playing partner who is equally patient. [This is usually the place where people say don't buy an LCG/CCG if you don't plan on deckbuilding, but imo Netrunner is a standout in this respect in that it plays perfectly well out of the box. You just have to swap the neutral cards around to whatever factions you want.]

Jumping from scrabble to a ccg like game is a pretty big leap.

Yeah, but we both want something challenging and varied, and the theme of the game is something we both love, so it fits. There's plenty of patience between the two of us so we'll be fine. I'll be sure to update about our first game though, and how it goes.

Great thread btw.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Netrunner deckbuilding can be agony. Do I put Bank Job back in because multi-server Corp is becoming a (big) thing again? Are traps enough of a threat that I really need to keep those Infiltrations? What about Forged Activation vs. Emergency Shutdown vs. Account Siphon? For now I've ditched Shutdown entirely even though pre-release people hilariously claimed it was game-breakingly strong. Ha. I have 3 Account Siphons but always misplay them, so maybe now that I have Kati Jones (and an actual resource to protect), I should reduce or eliminate them.

Sometimes I'm jealous of people who have pure gimmick decks that have little flexibility in the deckspace. When you play Aggro Gabe and old-school Big-Ice/Accelerated-Beta-Test HB there's just way too many tough decisions in the deckbuilding.

SupaNaab

Any recommendations for co-operative games? I already own Pandemic (Reprint) and am awaiting the expansion reprint in July.

I've been watching Dice Tower reviews and it seems like Shadows over Camelot, Ghost Stories, Atlantis Rising and maybe Robinson Crusoe (I can't even tell if this is out yet) seem best. Arkham Horror looks like it might be too deep (or even bloated with expansions) to pick up for the group I'm playing with.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Shadows is a really nice game with similar complexity to Pandemic.

Also check out Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

Any recommendations for co-operative games? I already own Pandemic (Reprint) and am awaiting the expansion reprint in July.

I've been watching Dice Tower reviews and it seems like Shadows over Camelot, Ghost Stories, Atlantis Rising and maybe Robinson Crusoe (I can't even tell if this is out yet) seem best. Arkham Horror looks like it might be too deep (or even bloated with expansions) to pick up for the group I'm playing with.

Shadows is a really nice game with similar complexity to Pandemic.

Also check out Flash Point: Fire Rescue.
What Stooge said. Flash Point is really good and on par with Pandemic. Ghost Stories is fun but be prepared to get your ass kicked 90% of the time, but when you do win its an accomplishment. As far as other co-ops not mentioned, I really like Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's a super hero card game where everyone is working together to defeat the big bad.

Netrunner deckbuilding can be agony. Do I put Bank Job back in because multi-server Corp is becoming a (big) thing again? Are traps enough of a threat that I really need to keep those Infiltrations? What about Forged Activation vs. Emergency Shutdown vs. Account Siphon? For now I've ditched Shutdown entirely even though pre-release people hilariously claimed it was game-breakingly strong. Ha. I have 3 Account Siphons but always misplay them, so maybe now that I have Kati Jones (and an actual resource to protect), I should reduce or eliminate them.

Sometimes I'm jealous of people who have pure gimmick decks that have little flexibility in the deckspace. When you play Aggro Gabe and old-school Big-Ice/Accelerated-Beta-Test HB there's just way too many tough decisions in the deckbuilding.
Uh you ditched Emergency Shutdown? Why? o_O Seems like a fairly solid card, what changed?

Was able to pick up a copy of Zombicide. I wonder when Season 2 stuff will be available to non-kickstarter people?

Season 2 wont be out for some time. Prob fall/winter.

Been about a week now and through three different contact spots, Guillotine has still not gotten back to me about their mistake in my 1st kickstarter phase 2 stuff.

Omikron

Forgot to cross post from AusGAF....

Played Kingsburg tonight, with a stack of modules from the expansion set.

7pwUZSm.png

Kinda fun light dice roller, although you don't get to make a huge amount of interesting decisions. Board is awesome though.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Forgot to cross post from AusGAF....

Played Kingsburg tonight, with a stack of modules from the expansion set.

7pwUZSm.png

Kinda fun light dice roller, although you don't get to make a huge amount of interesting decisions. Board is awesome though.

I'm a big fan of kingsburg, I love unconventional dice rolling. How are the expansion modules?

fenners

Was able to pick up a copy of Zombicide. I wonder when Season 2 stuff will be available to non-kickstarter people?

The first round of kickstarter season 2 deliveries are due in September.. But CoolMiniOrNot have been pretty good at adding people 'late' to the kickstarter if you email them - I know the "open window" for people upgrading their kickstarter pledges via their tool is still open so now could still be a good time to jump in.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The first round of kickstarter season 2 deliveries are due in September.. But CoolMiniOrNot have been pretty good at adding people 'late' to the kickstarter if you email them - I know the "open window" for people upgrading their kickstarter pledges via their tool is still open so now could still be a good time to jump in.

Cool. I will send them an email, thanks.

Omikron

I'm a big fan of kingsburg, I love unconventional dice rolling. How are the expansion modules?

Worth it for the player board expansions alone. I would never play without.

The 'destiny' cards and 'role' cards I can kinda do without, but still use them :)

MikeDip

Worth it for the player board expansions alone. I would never play without.

The 'destiny' cards and 'role' cards I can kinda do without, but still use them :)

Thanks' I'll check it out. Do you like any other games with unconventional dice rolling? I really enjoyed the space one too, but I can't remember the name.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Uh you ditched Emergency Shutdown? Why? o_O Seems like a fairly solid card, what changed?

I put it back in because I'm waffling now. Going with 2 ES and 2 Siphons. I think. Might ditch the E3 feedback implants even though they work so well in certain situations.

mercviper

I put it back in because I'm waffling now. Going with 2 ES and 2 Siphons. I think. Might ditch the E3 feedback implants even though they work so well in certain situations.

I wish I didn't stomp my friend into not playing this so I have a reason to deckbuild for it again. :< I kicked up that new Hex TCG though so in 4 months I should be able to fill that void.

Thanks' I'll check it out. Do you like any other games with unconventional dice rolling? I really enjoyed the space one too, but I can't remember the name.
Macao has an interesting use of it's dice. I think the game is too unforgiving to be fun but that one mechanic is really neat. I also thought Rolling Freight is a very good game that uses it's dice for different actions. Troyes is supposed to be good too, but I've never played it.

Castles of Burgandy is supposed to be the new hotness with die-rolling. I haven't played my copy yet though
Really good game, so many choices when all you do it roll two dice.

MikeDip

Thanks, I'm gonna check out those games, especially Castles of Burgandy.

Also, I picked up some plano boxes yesterday and wow! They are incredible. I used one for Thunderbolt Apache leader, and I don't know how I ever went without this before, it makes everything so easy.

blurrygil

Yeah, but we both want something challenging and varied, and the theme of the game is something we both love, so it fits. There's plenty of patience between the two of us so we'll be fine. I'll be sure to update about our first game though, and how it goes.

Great thread btw.

Welcome to the family. Cheers!

So with Kickstarter, if I want to add one of the options, I just add the listed price to my pledge amount right?

No one's replied?

To answer your question, you don't need to. Most KS's will use their PledgeManager to forward you a link to where you can add stuff later. Just pick your pledge level (double check it has all of the bonuses you want/don't want!) and go with that.

What are you checking out, IIMA? :)

For me, I'm thinking of diving in on Galaxy Defenders. Only 27 hours left on the KS. Man, I'm a sucker for the sci-fi "homage" style minis. Where else can you pair up Robocop and Lt. Ripley?! :D

It all gives me this SEGA Aliens Syndrome feel. I'm diggin this.

Galaxy Defenders on KS

2397a872a721159ce882a9c8250a6faa_large.jpg

Welcome to the family. Cheers!

No one's replied?

To answer your question, you don't need to. Most KS's will use their PledgeManager to forward you a link to where you can add stuff later. Just pick your pledge level (double check it has all of the bonuses you want/don't want!) and go with that.

What are you checking out, IIMA? :)

For me, I'm thinking of diving in on Galaxy Defenders. Only 27 hours left on the KS. Man, I'm a sucker for the sci-fi "homage" style minis. Where else can you pair up Robocop and Lt. Ripley?! :D

It all gives me this SEGA Aliens Syndrome feel. I'm diggin this.

Galaxy Defenders on KS

2397a872a721159ce882a9c8250a6faa_large.jpg

Yeah I was reading the comments section of GD and learned about the option of adding additional items later but that increasing my pledge worked just the same and also helped the funding of the game too, so I opted to do that. The game looks like X-Com the board game which is awesome to me and I love co-op games. So yeah I nabbed one of the early bird rookie pledges and will add the Xeno-hunter and xeno-morph. Also got Gear and Pistons too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom