• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairhome

Those figures look a little too close to their inspirations. You think they might get asked to change it? Game looks pretty cool though.

Some hideous looking miniatures.

Those figures look a little too close to their inspirations. You think they might get asked to change it? Game looks pretty cool though.

Yea Guillotine got contacted by Miramax to change 2 of their 1st kickstarter figs. The redesigns look nothing like their homages now which kinda killed em.

blurrygil

Some hideous looking miniatures.

I agree. Some of them don't look too fantastic. But I tend to overlook that sort of stuff. I'm not picky on appearances.

Yea Guillotine got contacted by Miramax to change 2 of their 1st kickstarter figs. The redesigns look nothing like their homages now which kinda killed em.

I don't think the look was really "killed". I think they look pretty good, actually. I particularly like the S2 figures. :)

I agree. Some of them don't look too fantastic. But I tend to overlook that sort of stuff. I'm not picky on appearances.

I don't think the look was really "killed". I think they look pretty good, actually. I particularly like the S2 figures. :)

If they were smaller board game figs I would be fine, but at 28+mm scale I'm used to much better.

Talking of the s1 kickstarter exclusives that ended up getting changed, they look nothing like what they are supposed to be portraying. The Kill Bill bride went from having the famouse yellow like jumpsuit and katana to some biker like jacket, wearing a beret and using an Uzi?

If they were smaller board game figs I would be fine, but at 28+mm scale I'm used to much better.

Talking of the s1 kickstarter exclusives that ended up getting changed, they look nothing like what they are supposed to be portraying. The Kill Bill bride went from having the famouse yellow like jumpsuit and katana to some biker like jacket, wearing a beret and using an Uzi?
That's not as bad as the replacement Marvin character art. The new one looks busted.
New
o2heHjJ.jpg

Old

The art isn't even the same quality and looks slapped together.

I put it back in because I'm waffling now. Going with 2 ES and 2 Siphons. I think. Might ditch the E3 feedback implants even though they work so well in certain situations.
hahaha :D

Whatever happened to Emergency Shutdown -> Forged Activation Orders? Yes I know it's just a cute combo and requires 2 cards, 2 clicks and 1 cred to kill 1 piece of ICE (and it isn't even a guarantee), but it's probably hilarious when you get it to fire, especially on something nasty like a Archer or Adrian's Wall :p Even so I would think ES by itself is usually cost efficient?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hahaha :D

Whatever happened to Emergency Shutdown -> Forged Activation Orders? Yes I know it's just a cute combo and requires 2 cards, 2 clicks and 1 cred to kill 1 piece of ICE (and it isn't even a guarantee), but it's probably hilarious when you get it to fire, especially on something nasty like a Archer or Adrian's Wall :p Even so I would think ES by itself is usually cost efficient?

yes, keeping two of each but not praying for the combo.

mercviper

That's not as bad as the replacement Marvin character art. The new one looks busted.
New

Old

The art isn't even the same quality and looks slapped together.

Ouch. Kinda glad I didn't kick in extra if that's the case.

Speaking of Zombicide, I was playing with the spring batch of survivor/zombivors and found rules for them here http://castlesandcooks.com/2013/05/14/arena-review-zombicide-set-1-survivors-and-zombivors/ in case anyone wanted to know what stuff like Rotten did. I know I had a hell of a time searching for it.

Quick list of new skillsets:

Is that all you've got?: I dub thee, Super Tough. You can use this Skill any time the Survivor is about to get Wounded cards. Discard one Equipment card in your Survivor’s inventory for each Wound he’s about to receive. Negate a Wounded card per discarded Equipment card.

Low Profile: The Survivor can’t be targeted by allied Ranged Attacks and can’t be hit by car attacks. Ignore him when shooting in or driving through the Zone he stands in. Weapons that kill everything in the targeted Zone, like the Molotov, still kill him.

Toxic Immunity: The Survivor is immune to Toxic Blood Spray. Something Season 2 related.

Super Strength: The Damage value of Melee weapons used by the survivor is 3.

Webbing: All equipment in the Survivor’s inventory is considered in hand.

Zombie link: The Survivor plays an extra turn each time an extra activation card is drawn in the Zombie pile. He plays before the extra-activated zombies. If several Survivors benefit from this skill at the same time, the players choose their activation order.

Rotten: At the end of his turn, if the Survivor has not taken a Combat Action, driven a car and has no produced a Noise token, place a Rotten token next to his base. As long as he has this token, he is totally ignored by any and all types of Zombies (except Zombivors) and is not considered a Noise token. Zombies don’t attack him and will even walk past him. The Survivor loses his Rotten token if he takes any Combat Action or makes noise. Even with the Rotten token, the Survivor still has to spend extra Actions to move out of a Zone crowded with Zombies.

Collector: [Zombie Type]: The survivor doubles the experience gained each time he kills a Zombie of the specified type. e.g. Collector: Fatties, you gain 2xp per fatty killed instead of 1xp.

And finally rules pertaining to Zombivors:
Zombivors are only killed after taking 5 wounds, not 2.
Zombivors do not all get a standard +1 Action at the Yellow Danger Level.
Optional game mode: Resurrection Mode.

Resurrection Mode: After your Survivor dies, the following round at the beginning of the player phase, revive as a Zombivor. You lose all wounds and retain all items + experience levels, and can re-choose skills where applicable as you see fit.

Neverfade

Ordered:

City of Remnants. That SD&SU review pushed me over the edge, and no one else had any thoughts, so looks like I'm the guinea pig.

Mage Wars: More of a gamble as I don't get a ton of 2 player gaming in, but the game seems so damn meaty.

At the Gates of Loyang (again): recently sold in auction. immediately regretted. only out a couple bucks. lesson learned.

Neverfade

There is nothing about this game that looks appealing to me.

I felt that way for the longest time, too. I've been watching a lot of videos of it and with a better understanding of how it works, it seems like the next step for Summoner Wars -- a game that on paper I really wanted to like, but didn't really get hooked on. I may end up eating crow certainly, but I doubt I'll have a hard time unloading this one should I not like it -- people seem to eat it up.

Keasar

I absolutely love Mage Wars, it may not look like much but there is a ton of strategy and tactical options in there. And it is fun to try and outsmart your opponent each turn by trying to predict his spell selection, counter them, throw fireballs or summon giant monsters to eat him. Also do love the depth of all the cards, like casting a water spell on something that is on fire puts out the fire.

Thinking about ordering the Force Master vs. Warlord expansion next time, have my month set now with Memoir '44 and City of Remnants incoming this week.

Ordered:

City of Remnants. That SD&SU review pushed me over the edge, and no one else had any thoughts, so looks like I'm the guinea pig.

Mage Wars: More of a gamble as I don't get a ton of 2 player gaming in, but the game seems so damn meaty.

JesseZao actually had some impressions on the game, pretty much convinced me together with SD&SU (seriously, those guys are dangerous for my wallet).
I've yet to play a four-player game, which would probably be more ideal, but it was still fun with two. It has has a lot of different mechanics that work together smoothly. As long as you aren't expecting a straight warfare game like Risk and realize it's a victory point game (a problem many newbies have with Twilight Imperium) I think there is a lot of fun to be had.

And as said, if you like a 2P (or even up to 4P with some extra spell books) with a load of depth and customization, Mage Wars is awesome. I believe SU&SD is gonna do a review for it at some point. They did a Impressions article over a month ago (once again, selling me on the game, curse you English people!).

ParityBit

Does anyone own the Star Wars X-Wing miniature game? (I am assuming yes)

If yes, what is your storage solution? If anything? I currently have one of each ship, including the Falcon and Slave 1. I am hoping to find something more elegant than the boxes they came in!

If yes, what is your storage solution? If anything? I currently have one of each ship, including the Falcon and Slave 1. I am hoping to find something more elegant than the boxes they came in!

Bunch of us in the miniature gaming thread do. There is special cut foam trays if your willing to spend the money from battlefoam or kr multicase.

Frankly easiest to do is just get those big plastic flat tool/screw trays with dividers you can custom play around with that can hold multiples of each ship along with their tokens and cards. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005QWYF/?tag=neogaf0e-20 , they come in many sizes and you can find them often in various hardware stores. I put entire wings of fighters with all their discs and token in each compartment, and have big enough ones that fit even the falcon of slave 1.

To piggy back off that, has anyone found a solution for storing Zombicide miniatures that isn't from Battle Foam? The shipping to Canada from them is obscene.

To piggy back off that, has anyone found a solution for storing Zombicide miniatures that isn't from Battle Foam? The shipping to Canada from them is obscene.

Did you paint them? Otherwise just toss them in a zip lock bag. The figs don't need protecting and are fairly sturdy. Keep the survivors separate from the zombies.

mercviper

Did you paint them? Otherwise just toss them in a zip lock bag. The figs don't need protecting and are fairly sturdy. Keep the survivors separate from the zombies.

I pretty much just do this for my figs. Might consider better protection once I get around to painting them, but for now it's just easier to have a ziplock for each type of zombie or chit

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I pretty much just do this for my figs. Might consider better protection once I get around to painting them, but for now it's just easier to have a ziplock for each type of zombie or chit

Yeah, I just got them ziplocked as well.

I emailed CMON and they are going to add me as a late backer to Zombicide Season 2, which is awesome.

Yeah, I just got them ziplocked as well.

I emailed CMON and they are going to add me as a late backer to Zombicide Season 2, which is awesome.

Wow really. How did you contact them? Still haven't heard a single reply from them about my kickstarter shipping mistake and used three different emails/contacts.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wow really. How did you contact them? Still haven't heard a single reply from them about my kickstarter shipping mistake and used three different emails/contacts.

I emailed them from the CMON website. Originally I did it from Kickstarter, but got no reply. The webmaster is supposed to add me then I can PayPal my pledge.

You can find generic pluck foam in camera cases and the like, and while it's not a custom cut, you can make things fit pretty easily and snugly.

The case I use is this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HJTK5Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

sneaky77

Why do people say that you need two sets of cards in the LCG's to be competitive? Is there no way to be competitive otherwise? I guess if they keep releasing packs every month do people buy 2 packs of everything?

mercviper

Why do people say that you need two sets of cards in the LCG's to be competitive? Is there no way to be competitive otherwise? I guess if they keep releasing packs every month do people buy 2 packs of everything?

Which LCGs? I can't say for others, but if you're talking about Netrunner, they for some odd reason didn't pack 3x of every card in the base set, so some of the better cards that you would want to run 3x of wouldn't be possible without a second set. They don't make the same mistake with their expansions. You can always play without the full set, but that's like saying you'd want to run the engine at 90% efficiency instead of 100%.

Well for many of the core sets, you need to buy 2 core sets of the lcg to get the max amount of specific cards you need. FFG changed the way they pack lcg expansions with now more cards and you get the max of the number of cards you can have in each expansion now generally. But back with Warhammer Invasion years ago they changed to the format of giving you all the cards you need in each expansion pack. Starter core sets still don't give you enough though.

joelseph

FFG big box expansions often will not contain max copies of the chase cards. The small box expansions do as far as I know.

sneaky77

Which LCGs? I can't say for others, but if you're talking about Netrunner, they for some odd reason didn't pack 3x of every card in the base set, so some of the better cards that you would want to run 3x of wouldn't be possible without a second set. They don't make the same mistake with their expansions. You can always play without the full set, but that's like saying you'd want to run the engine at 90% efficiency instead of 100%.

Is there a reason why you couldn't be competitive with just one copy of the core? Just thinking out loud really lol

Is there a reason why you couldn't be competitive with just one copy of the core? Just thinking out loud really lol

If your competitive playing with other folks who are, then you need all options available that they have. Do you need those two sets? No usually not unless there is not much else choice. As more cards come out, you will usually have to buy the new stuff to be competitive.

mercviper

You're going to have to define competitive for me. If you're playing against a guy with a playset of Melange Mining or Desperado, both core cards in their respective decks, they will be much more consistent in getting them out and helping them win, and there really isn't a proper replacement for them in the remaining core cards.

Desperado is a 1-of, though since it's a console you can only have 1 out in play at any time, you would still want a second copy to increase your chances of drawing it earlier. The other consoles in the core set are off-color, so including them in your deck inhibits and restricts your deckbuilding options for splashing off-color programs/events.

Melange you get 2, but it's such a core item for all corporation decks that you want to play 3 copies, again to increase the chances of getting it earlier. I'd say the closest economy booster to one would be Adonis Program, but the benefits are still a far cry from Melange. Adonis is also HB specific, locking you into HB or reducing your off-color options whereas Melange is a neutral card.

You don't need to play with a full playset to win. In the end the game is still heavily luck reliant like any other card game, so you can still win by running other cards as substitute if you draw the nuts. But, for competitive deckbuilding, the idea is to mitigate the luck as much as you can so you can be consistent. You do this by minimizing the types of cards you need to run in your deck to win, and by running multiple copies of those cards to increase your chances of drawing the winning combinations before the other opponent.

No, I haven't. I'm just so paranoid given the cost of the game. I guess if people here haven't had any issues with them just being in a ziplock bag, then I don't see a reason I can't just do that.

Has anyone had any luck finding small ziplock bags for pieces? I mean the kind that dice come in. Just bought Flash Point and almost lost my shit when I saw the amount of pieces in the box after punching them out. I'd prefer to separate them.

No, I haven't. I'm just so paranoid given the cost of the game. I guess if people here haven't had any issues with them just being in a ziplock bag, then I don't see a reason I can't just do that.

Has anyone had any luck finding small ziplock bags for pieces? I mean the kind that dice come in. Just bought Flash Point and almost lost my shit when I saw the amount of pieces in the box after punching them out. I'd prefer to separate them.
Here is 1000 3x5 in. baggies for $12.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004000394/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amazon has plenty of different sizes for cheap.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah I have a bunch of those tiny baggies. Realize I probably look like a drug dealer. That and Hugo's Amazing Tape are absolutely indispensable.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Netrunner: One thing that'll definitely make you come back around on Emergency Shutdown is playing Weyland with Archer, Hadrian, and 3x Oversight AI. Thanks Emergency Shutdown. :D

Netrunner: One thing that'll definitely make you come back around on Emergency Shutdown is playing Weyland with Archer, Hadrian, and 3x Oversight AI. Thanks Emergency Shutdown. :D
Criminal always have the best tricks :) Although Test Run is certainly good and I guess Chaos Theory has an interesting trick.

ParityBit

Bunch of us in the miniature gaming thread do. There is special cut foam trays if your willing to spend the money from battlefoam or kr multicase.

Frankly easiest to do is just get those big plastic flat tool/screw trays with dividers you can custom play around with that can hold multiples of each ship along with their tokens and cards. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005QWYF/?tag=neogaf0e-20 , they come in many sizes and you can find them often in various hardware stores. I put entire wings of fighters with all their discs and token in each compartment, and have big enough ones that fit even the falcon of slave 1.

You can find generic pluck foam in camera cases and the like, and while it's not a custom cut, you can make things fit pretty easily and snugly.

The case I use is this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HJTK5Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Those are both some great ideas! Man that Zeikos case is really hard core looking for the game :) I will check out these avenues.

Do you guys own multiples of the ships? At this point I was able to snag one of each (one starter too) But I do not know if its worth having more of one, and which ones!

Var

I am thinking of picking up Last Night on Earth, but I will mainly be playing with just 3 people. I am kind of concerned how much fun it would be without a big group.

I am thinking of picking up Last Night on Earth, but I will mainly be playing with just 3 people. I am kind of concerned how much fun it would be without a big group.
3 works just fine. You will have one player play the zombies and two players playing two survivors each. Down time would be minimal too, so that's a plus.

Picked up City of Remnants (on sale at CoolStuffInc, half off and today only.), A Song of Ice and Fire LCG and Kingsburg. Pretty stoked to get these next week.

Is it really bad? Netrunner is awesome so I figured FFG's other major LCG would be pretty cool too.

It wasn't a LCG, it was one of their older CCG's that they simply repackaged as a LCG a long time ago. It was around for years and it seriously has a ridiculous sized faq with all the card issues.

I didn't even think the game was anything special, felt like it was partially based off their Cthulhu CCG. Rulebook was mess at explaining things properly and getting the faq really opens your eyes. The decks in the core set felt nowhere balanced either.

Faq is currently 30 pages

tm24

Hmm. City of Remnants on sale and i have been wanting to get Seasons too. Could probably pick up Formula D to get to 100 and free shipping

Hmm: Shipping is less than 8 bucks, maybe i shouldnt spend all that money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom