• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Played our first game of X-Wing last night, and as expected it's excellent. I really like the simplicity of the core gameplay. I feel like I can focus solely on what I think my opponents are doing, rather than focusing on what the game itself is doing. I also love that it's really different than any other game in my collection.

We played a four player 74/74 point game (y-wing and 2 x-wings vs tie-advanced and 2 ties) with no upgrades to keep it simple. Next game we'll crank up the difficulty a little bit (and set it up so each player controls two ships).

Anyone have any favorite or least favorite ships? Do you guys play with mission setups? Any other advice for someone getting into the game?

Neverfade

Has anyone played Civilization The Board Game? I'm considering picking it up as I love Civ 5, but I'm afraid that it's similar to Game of Thrones and thus I won't get my group to play it ever... :/

Civ is good fun and very different than GoT. Definitely room for both.

Xater

Bought myself another small filler for 2-6 players. That seems like something you can't have enough off. It's called Cockroach Poker. Not sure if people here know it.

Has anyone played Civilization The Board Game? I'm considering picking it up as I love Civ 5, but I'm afraid that it's similar to Game of Thrones and thus I won't get my group to play it ever... :/

What turned me off to the Civ board game was how dense it was (for my game group's usually length/rules threshold) and I will recommend to research Clash of Cultures as well.

Only main downside to Clash of Cultures is that each civilization starts out the same, and you really only go through one era (no future tech, etc) but it's relatively easy to pick up and plays relatively fast for how big of a game it is (it's still a long game, mind you)

Kijdhefgi

Neo Member
Played quite a few games today:

Dungeon Roll is not bad as a quick and casual game. I like the press-your-luck aspect, and it really does go by pretty fast. Even in a 4-player game, you're doing things half of the time, which is nice. I don't feel like we need to run three or four games at once so that we're not sitting around while people take their turns.

In Macao, I had such a huge lead that everyone else gave up. 6 gold per turn from the Pub/Host combo and the ability to buy tribute twice kept those points increasing steadily. Macao and Burgundy are my top 2 Felds, but I've yet to play Bora Bora and Bruges. No punishment tokens, either!

Pandemic wasn't as bad of a co-op experience as I thought it would be, but we had no Medic and I kept drawing awful cards. Cured three, then ran out of black cubes for the loss. Would play again, but I think I'd rather solo it.

Angst said:
I think it plays more like Civ Rev (the icons are the same in both games) than Civ. That being said if you are a fan of Civ 5 there will be a lot that you will like about Civ the boardgame.

What turned me off to the Civ board game was how dense it was (for my game group's usually length/rules threshold) and I will recommend to research Clash of Cultures as well.

Only main downside to Clash of Cultures is that each civilization starts out the same, and you really only go through one era (no future tech, etc) but it's relatively easy to pick up and plays relatively fast for how big of a game it is (it's still a long game, mind you)
I don't see how Clash of Cultures is less dense than Civ. Granted I've only read the rules for CoC and never played it but it's not an easy game. With Civ the actions are abstracted enough to make them somewhat intuitive. There is a lot to keep track of but the same can easily be said about CoC.

Got most things I wanted at gencon, only missed one exclusive for a miniature game that I will try for tomorrow. Got Firefly after reading most the rules online, it has potential.

But seriously, fuck the FFG line. Near end of day and its at its shortest yet, they tell me its an hour wait to get inside. You can't even look to see what they have as its all walled off with displays. I know they got the wave 3 Star Wars figures and the beta book for the RPG part 2.... but really don't get what the massive all day lines are for.

Ohnonono

Got most things I wanted at gencon, only missed one exclusive for a miniature game that I will try for tomorrow. Got Firefly after reading most the rules online, it has potential.

But seriously, fuck the FFG line. Near end of day and its at its shortest yet, they tell me its an hour wait to get inside. You can't even look to see what they have as its all walled off with displays. I know they got the wave 3 Star Wars figures and the beta book for the RPG part 2.... but really don't get what the massive all day lines are for.

Do you know if Wryd had a bunch of their Con exclusive stuff? Tryin to get my local store owner to pick me up the exclusive crew.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

That sucks. I want to find out more about Eldritch Horror.

That sucks. I want to find out more about Eldritch Horror.

The game demos are open for ppl, they have EH out to try. Its their sales booth that's closed up and has the worst line of the con. Paizo had massive line but it moved quick since they had folks walking the line to quick checkout ppl who want to pay cash and get out.

Managed to get all the things I wanted. Went to the PP booth first to grab High Command, then Romance of the Nine Empires. Couple Oof other things too. And yes, Fuck the FFG line.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Bioshock Infinite: Siege of Columbia did not blow me away...

I just finished playing it tonight. I had fun with it. I like the voting mechanic. A question I have is with the skylines. Basically you can use them to fly over enemies territories as long as you keep rolling successfully? Not the best game ever, but pretty solid.

joelseph

There are unpublished cards in the Netrunner demo deck.

Waited through the FFG line and Pathfinder lines yesterday, my feet are killing me.

Demoed zman stuff before the floor closed, Bruges looks awesome.

Want to try asmodee's rampage.

Underwhelmed with the Netrunner datapack, will have to play with them.

Off to painting class.

Xater

Waited through the FFG line and Pathfinder lines yesterday, my feet are killing me.

Off to painting class.

It IS awesome. Been playing it for a while. ;)

I just finished playing it tonight. I had fun with it. I like the voting mechanic. A question I have is with the skylines. Basically you can use them to fly over enemies territories as long as you keep rolling successfully? Not the best game ever, but pretty solid.
Yes. You can move as far on the skyline you want as long but you must roll for each stop along the skyline. As long as you roll a thumbs up you are good. Even if you don't roll a thumb as long as you discard the proper amount of cards you can continue. The dream no thumbs up roll is three 0's. It's as good as a thumb because you will have to expend 0 cards.

I liked the game quite a bit personally. It doesn't do anything super groundbreaking but what it does do it does well. For instance, I really like the hand management. There is some really interesting choices that need to be made. With the limited hand size you need to figure out when would be the best time to play your cards. At the end of the day, it is just a "dudes on a map" game so you know what to expect and there are very little surprises in it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Off to painting class.
It's all about Jackson my friend.

I am so excited for the release of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. I should have had one of you GenCon people pick me up one.

its ok.

Im going to throw some of my pathfinder minis and cardboard characters into the box too.

should be real fun with my board game group.

Got to try Eldritch Horror. My initial assessment of it looking like Fortune and Glory meets Arkham was quite spot on. It is much less component heavy game though compared to lot of FFGs recent stuff which is nice. Simple game that is much more story based in that everything you do is narrative like scenarios and solving mysteries. Character have far more stats and even special story rules that kick in if they go insane. Coop game, each player takes two actions. Once all players go, everyone has an encounter depending where they are at on the board similar to Fortune and Glory, and like that game you take a card of corresponding location and make stat checks to accomplish goals, sometimes multi tiered goals. Then as usual there is a mythos deck which creates some chaos for players and then players repeat.

Game is to ship with four old ones which have unique mysteries that you must solve in order, similar to the storylines found in Mansions of Madness.

Game overall seems faster than traditional AH but our demo guy said roughly two hours for four players on average, and longer the more players involved.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got to try Eldritch Horror. My initial assessment of it looking like Fortune and Glory meets Arkham was quite spot on. It is much less component heavy game though compared to lot of FFGs recent stuff which is nice. Simple game that is much more story based in that everything you do is narrative like scenarios and solving mysteries. Character have far more stats and even special story rules that kick in if they go insane. Coop game, each player takes two actions. Once all players go, everyone has an encounter depending where they are at on the board similar to Fortune and Glory, and like that game you take a card of corresponding location and make stat checks to accomplish goals, sometimes multi tiered goals. Then as usual there is a mythos deck which creates some chaos for players and then players repeat.

Game is to ship with four old ones which have unique mysteries that you must solve in order, similar to the storylines found in Mansions of Madness.

Game overall seems faster than traditional AH but our demo guy said roughly two hours for four players on average, and longer the more players involved.

I was just catching some of the BBG live stream of the game. Think it looks great. I really like expeditions and they way you get assets from the reserve part of the board. They said it will be out at Christmas, which is when I might a attempt a 8 player game of it!

My one concern is that it seems that turns move quick and that there might not be enough encounter cards in the game and that you might start cycling through similar events quicker? Could be wrong about that though. Length wise, shorter would be nicer, but I don't really have an issue with that.

Finally got into FFG due to short line for once. Apparently all the crowds was mainly for the new wave 3 of Star Wars X-Wing ships. Almost every on in line to checkout had stacks of the new figs. Only other new item released early for gencon was that odd vampire game they recently announced and the beta books for the second part of the star wars rpg, and the first adventure book.

I was just catching some of the BBG live stream of the game. Think it looks great. I really like expeditions and they way you get assets from the reserve part of the board. They said it will be out at Christmas, which is when I might a attempt a 8 player game of it!

My one concern is that it seems that turns move quick and that there might not be enough encounter cards in the game and that you might start cycling through similar events quicker? Could be wrong about that though. Length wise, shorter would be nicer, but I don't really have an issue with that.

Yea at the demos the stacks of cards for each encounter type as fairly small, and they were also sleaved cards. But don't know if all the cards in the final version are being used. All the components were marked with big BETA on them and didn't feel final. Only one old one and set of mystery was present so assume there will be more components than this. Player turns do move quick as most involve just doing skill tests. Skill test is just you roll as man d6 as the required stat, any 5's or 6's is a success. You just need to roll one success generally to pass a test, again like Fortune and Glory. All in all it does look like its a much faster game than AH, and board is not covered in monsters you have to manage like in AH. Victory involves more scenario based objectives, like go to certain place on boar and pass a specific challenge test. So its not always same thing of just closing portals and getting elder signs.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
man... not going to GenCon was a huge mistake...

Any gaffers know if they are doing BGG con this year? I can't remember if I already asked.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
man... not going to GenCon was a huge mistake...

Any gaffers know if they are doing BGG con this year? I can't remember if I already asked.

Yes, at least 3-4 iirc, me included.

Still trying to see if I can rope in a friend to go with. I'll be on the lookout for gaffers regardless though. Some of my best times at BGG were playing tons of games with Flynn and Stooge a few years back and mercviper last year.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Sweet!
Well, if anyone is interested a friend rented us a suite in the hotel to do interviews in, and we're planning on having a shin-dig of sorts one evening with free food and drinks. We were mostly just gonna invite people we interview and some other interesting people in the community we've become friendly with online, but Gaffers will definitely be welcome.

Obviously, people will have better stuff to do, but throwing it out there.

Do you guys normally do a meet up?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't think we've done a meet up per se, but more just hook up for games at various times. Sometimes even play lots of games. All I'm looking for at BGG, since I usually come with 1-2 people at most, is a good group of new folks to play lots of games with. :D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
so excited

BRz6W1WCIAAIJ1G.jpg:large

mercviper

Sweet!
Well, if anyone is interested a friend rented us a suite in the hotel to do interviews in, and we're planning on having a shin-dig of sorts one evening with free food and drinks. We were mostly just gonna invite people we interview and some other interesting people in the community we've become friendly with online, but Gaffers will definitely be welcome.

Obviously, people will have better stuff to do, but throwing it out there.

Do you guys normally do a meet up?

I'll be there this year too!

Last year Astro and I pretty much just let each other know when/what type of game we were playing via google hangout and whoever was available/wanted to come showed up. Not really super organized but it worked.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Those large x-wing minis are AWESOME! Anything imperial that would fit at that scale? Gunboats? Some sort of dwarf Star Destroyer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbG4b2MPjY0

go to around 5:45 to see some video of those ships with a x-wing for scale. HUGE! I think that corvette is around the same size as my lego one (the recent release, not the UCS one).

Got a lot of friends at Gencon, Gonna have to make room for it next year now that I live close(ish). That PF card game looks dope as well, even if the cards themselves are a bit bland.

Played Winter Tales at the ffg booth, they only got one demo running for it. Think most here will end up hating it. Its extremely light game that is narrative based. You play on teams of 2 on 2. The cards are your currency to do everything, each one being just an abstract children's pencil sketch. You spend card to move two spaces, once you reach an objective site you begin a story. You then play one card at a time and tell a story depending on the card pictures, you just be creative with this. You keep playing cards and adding to the story until you want to stop. Then next player goes and continues the story as they like in same way, and this goes around the table everyone getting a chance to play cards and adding to the story. The player then who started the story gets one last ditch to add to the story and it then ends. The team that played most cards wins that objective, if a tie, the last team to added to the story wins it. Getting an objective earns you points while still having cards in hand can get you some points too, even if your team didn't win. This goes back and forth and is essentially about card management to best score points. Cards can also be spent to attack players in same back and forth card chucking and story telling manner to cause characters to be delayed. Players can also hide cards to create secret attacks like traps, again with story telling.

There isn't much to the game at all, its for those who like to be creative and want some fun narrative based gaming. The use of characters and setting is largely to create a unique story setting and opportunities. Dorothy and the Tin Man are part of the rebellion, while snow white and the mad hatter are part of the winter empire that is supposedly oppressive. But characters and such have no mechanical bearing on game. Pretty game with cool setting, but its not going to be very popular with a lot of folks. Role players will probably have some fun with it.

Do rebel transports even have weapons?

Four twin blaster cannons.

But they will be boring to play, essentially more of a objective like thing for scenarios I would imagine.

Neverfade

Oh man, the new BSG expansion stuff is brutal. We just got our nuts fucking stomped in a 5 player game. Gonna try the new Cylon leader option with 5 people next time. Mutiny cards are a bitch to manage, although those are easily my favorite part of the expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom