• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh, well if they all contain good cards for some deck then I'll get all of them. Just wanted to quickly check there weren't any bad eggs.

They're all such a blur to me. Get the one with Kati Jones and whatever 3/2 agenda goes with your faction at minimum. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow Kati Jones is like Magnum Opus for everybody.

Haha. Well you can only use her once per turn, but yeah she made Runners deadly lategame across the board. C&C added even more good money cards for runners as well. Perhaps not a surprise that this was my tournament performance yesterday:
Runner: W-T-W-W
Corp: T-LW-L

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I find it interesting that every new post about Netrunner has a word I've never seen before in my life. The jargon is the number one reason why I don't play.

There are only about 30 terms you need to know! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/20340/the-jargon-of-netrunner

But seriously you don't really need to know any of it. It's not Magic level of deckbuilding complexity and metagaming at all. It's much more focused on actual tactical in-game performance.

There are only about 30 terms you need to know! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/20340/the-jargon-of-netrunner

But seriously you don't really need to know any of it. It's not Magic level of deckbuilding complexity and metagaming at all. It's much more focused on actual tactical in-game performance.

I'm also not to keen on deckbuilding at all. Even if I was the asymmetrical play always leads to imbalances and I really don't want to do best 2 out of 3 for everything. I'm glad it's taken off, but it just isn't for me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
There's no 2/3, just an "official" match consists of playing both sides, just like Memoir 44 and others. But yeah if you don't like asymmetrical play then it's not really the game for you. Big part of the fun is how different the experience is for Runners vs. Corps.

This isn't true for lots of games.

Examples of lots of these games? Usually it is done to appease folks because of scenario based games especially that can force a person into a situation that is not ideal or balanced. The idea often feels implemented to keep both sides happy by having exact same chances.

Neverfade

Examples of lots of these games? Usually it is done to appease folks because of scenario based games especially that can force a person into a situation that is not ideal or balanced. The idea often feels implemented to keep both sides happy by having exact same chances.

War of the Ring
Kemet
BSG (admittedly after a learning curve)
Middle Earth Quest
Chaos in the Old World
Fortress America
Rex/Dune

That's just a sampling from games I own.

War of the Ring
Kemet
BSG (admittedly after a learning curve)
Middle Earth Quest
Chaos in the Old World
Fortress America
Rex/Dune

That's just a sampling from games I own.

Don't see any of those as asymmetrical in the way Affeinvasion is talking about. Think he means more in line with the likes of Memoir and Space Hulk which tell you to play out a game, and then switch sides assuming same roles.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think I'd probably like it, but don't have the time to get a PhD in Netrunner just to play a game.

Well if you think you'd like it...it's not hard at all to learn. Unless you mean you want to be a top-level tournament player. The game takes maybe 30m to learn, 60m if you want to know literally all the rules corner cases that will probably never come up for you (99% of which are documented in the FAQ).

When you see all the lingo and deckbuilding discussion, what you're seeing is people who just enjoy the tournament and meta aspect of the game, but it's very far from a requirement (otherwise it wouldn't be 10% as popular as it is on BGG).

Netrunner is definitely an LCG that more "traditional" gamers have gravitated toward more so than probably any other CCG/LCG in large part I think because it is fairly simple in terms of core gameplay and also because of the fact that even doing decently at tournaments does not require you to be a deckbuilding wizard like Magic does (not saying this as a knock btw -- many would consider the infinitely greater depth of deckbuilding in Magic to be a pro not a con).

Netrunner is the sorta game that you need to have it in your hands in order for anything to really make sense. That's how it was for me. I had downloaded the OCTGN thing but it was too complicated for me. Friend bought the game and we spent about an hour or two just learning it, playing each faction. The game becomes so much easier to understand then. It was really awesome to have the stuff just click (lol, in-jokes, haha) and be able to somewhat grasp the nuances of the game.

Switters

You guys play any Netrunner?

I'm thinking about picking up the starter, but I was wondering if it was one of those "you need to buy two cores to make a good deck" like the GoT card game.

joelseph

Netrunner is definitely an LCG that more "traditional" gamers have gravitated toward more so than probably any other CCG/LCG in large part I think because it is fairly simple in terms of core gameplay and also because of the fact that even doing decently at tournaments does not require you to be a deckbuilding wizard like Magic does (not saying this as a knock btw -- many would consider the infinitely greater depth of deckbuilding in Magic to be a pro not a con).

The only thing I enjoy doing in Magic more than playing Netrunner is Limited drafts and the occasional EDH game. Netrunner has surpassed magic in every other way for me, and that is saying a lot, I play 10+ hours of Magic a week.

The lore and narrative, the balance, the hidden information. Everything is so dialed in. After 2 games I feel drained and that is a good thing. The entire game is edge of your seat.

joelseph

I'm thinking about picking up the starter, but I was wondering if it was one of those "you need to buy two cores to make a good deck" like the GoT card game.

1 core is fine except for the very extreme tournament cases and chances are if you are in that situation you can simply borrow the needed card. I have never felt limited with my single copy.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The guys over on SUSD plugged my web series! Unfortunately, they had a few fans who really hated it, but that's to be expected I suppose.

In other news, all the talk of Eldritch Horror in this thread, made the wife and I finally bust out Arkham again... not only did we lose, but it felt like maybe we were playing wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on what the deal was. We got ROLLED. It was brutal.

I like the game okay, but I'm strongly considering trading it or selling it, in order to get something we'll play more.

The guys over on SUSD plugged my web series! Unfortunately, they had a few fans who really hated it, but that's to be expected I suppose.

I didn't hate it but I also didn't love it. I thought the girlfriend at the start was the funniest one. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much she is going to be in it.

Are you one of the actors? It can only get better. That's a good thing.

In other news, all the talk of Eldritch Horror in this thread, made the wife and I finally bust out Arkham again... not only did we lose, but it felt like maybe we were playing wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on what the deal was. We got ROLLED. It was brutal.

I like the game okay, but I'm strongly considering trading it or selling it, in order to get something we'll play more.

I hope I get to demo Eldritch Horror at GenCon, but I'm not holding out much hope for that happening.

mercviper

You can make great decks with 1 core. This is probably even more true with the number of expansions that are out now. If you look at the HB decklist that was posted earlier, there's only 1 card you would be missing if you played with a single core. A second core is only needed if you are really really into the deckbuilding and want to play at the super competitive level.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I didn't hate it but I also didn't love it. I thought the girlfriend at the start was the funniest one. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much she is going to be in it.

Are you one of the actors? It can only get better. That's a good thing.
Totally understandable. It's weird territory.

Yeah, writer, director, sound guy, actor, composer, lol.
We unfortunately, for scheduling and money reasons, we can't use our actor friends for major parts, but luckily web series typically have pretty bad acting :)
I'm Donald BTW.

Ash is in every episode of the main show, she lives in LA, so her availability for sketches is pretty limited. She's the only one of us who can act, and we'd use her to death if we could :)

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I hope I get to demo Eldritch Horror at GenCon, but I'm not holding out much hope for that happening.

That game makes me pretty nervous. I guess I don't need to play a game from that series necessarily, but I like the theme fine.

I interviewed the guy behind Cthulhu Wars this weekend, golly is that game gonna be expensive! The pieces are purdy though. It's in the same theme but is sort of a light wargame.

I don't know. I've never done a trade before, but this might be the game I do it with.

We unfortunately, for scheduling and money reasons, we can't use our actor friends for major parts, but luckily web series typically have pretty bad acting :)
I'm Donald BTW.

Ash is in every episode of the main show, she lives in LA, so her availability for sketches is pretty limited. She's the only one of us who can act, and we'd use her to death if we could :)

Yeah I figured she was a proper actor. I don't think the rest of you were completely terrible though. You'll get into the swing of it.

As a first episode it was good enough. Plenty of board gamers can relate to the opening of new board games or the excitement for a new game. Keep up the good work.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but doesn't mean there aren't people out there won't enjoy it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I'm Donald BTW.

Cool, nice work on the first episode. A buddy of mine linked it on Facebook and that's how I came across it.

Positive feedback for Pepboy

Just received Glory to Rome I.V Edition today in the mail from him. Can't say enough good things -- he really went the extra mile to help my Canadian ass.

In other acquisition news. Grabbed the Netrunner Genesis cycle and Creation & Control, as mentioned earlier, along with King of Tokyo Power Up and the Android: Golem novel. Got to finish reading A Song of Ice and Fire first, but I'm looking forward to digging more into the world of Android & Netrunner.

Speaking of KoT, I brought it over to a friend's on Friday and played it with his 6 and 12 year old. We played maybe 4 games of it and I left it with him for the weekend. I got a text on Sunday from him thanking me cause they were playing all weekend and it was the only thing that got the boys away from video games the whole summer. Even the 6-year old won without people throwing the game to him. I lent them Forbidden Island today too. I think I just opened up Pandora's box for these boys by introducing them to board games other than what you'd find in grandma's closet.

So if I had to pick between Rialto and In the Year of the Dragon, which one would play better with two players?

I like the theme of Dragon a lot more, to be honest.

Neverfade

You are the first person in history to ever describe Macao as 'fun'. That game is all about kicking you in your balls while they're in a damn vice grip.

PSA: Coolstuff has Spartacus for 19.99 as their deal of the day. It is already cheap at MSRP for what you get, 20 bucks is a downright steal. My favorite game of the past year, hands down.

You are the first person in history to ever describe Macao as 'fun'. That game is all about kicking you in your balls while they're in a damn vice grip.

Shaggy clearly only plays Feld games so he doesn't have anything good to compare it to.
Oh, snap!

XShagrath

I've never once received a punishment token. Some of the other people I've played with have though. That being said, I think my record is 1/5, so I'm obviously not good.

Of course, I rarely win at any game I play. Even less when it's something that I own.

Affeinvasion said:
Shaggy clearly only plays Feld games so he doesn't have anything good to compare it to.
Oh, snap!
I don't only play Feld games. On Friday, we played Principato (like it a lot), Quarriors (weak sauce), and 7 Wonders (it's okay). Last week was Rialto (Feld) and Dominant Species (really dug this one too).

I've never once received a punishment token. Some of the other people I've played with have though. That being said, I think my record is 1/5, so I'm obviously not good.

Of course, I rarely win at any game I play. Even less when it's something that I own.

I don't only play Feld games. On Friday, we played Principato (like it a lot), Quarriors (weak sauce), and 7 Wonders (it's okay). Last week was Rialto (Feld) and Dominant Species (really dug this one too).

Please don't tell me you played 7 Wonders with two people...

Just got in a game of Bioshock Infinite: Siege of Columbia. Really sold area control game. The mechanic of using your action cards in three different ways (influence, combat, money) is very good and leads to some interesting decisions. The combat itself is very simple but it works. It's also pretty friendly as you will only ever lose 1 unit in combat if you lose, unless you really screw up and don't have any strongholds to retreat to then you lose them all. Booker was always a threat but ended up being a non-issue as he only really attacked once at it was late game so we re fairly well equipped to take him.

I ended up winning pretty handily, but since most of my points were on the board that could have changed at any time. I will say that the end of the game was anti-climactic. I ended up taking an area to grab me a territory point and I was able to claim a goal card that stated I owned four territories. It was also during a turn where we had an f-ton of cards so my friend was gearing up to take some territories back. Oh we'll, still a fun game and my friend and I already made plans to play it again later this week.

Angst

Well if you think you'd like it...it's not hard at all to learn. Unless you mean you want to be a top-level tournament player. The game takes maybe 30m to learn, 60m if you want to know literally all the rules corner cases that will probably never come up for you (99% of which are documented in the FAQ).

When you see all the lingo and deckbuilding discussion, what you're seeing is people who just enjoy the tournament and meta aspect of the game, but it's very far from a requirement (otherwise it wouldn't be 10% as popular as it is on BGG).

Yeah I could definitely learn that, next issue is finding someone else willing to learn and play it. As we mostly play with another couple, 4 or 6 player games is sort of a must for our group.

Xater

They are here! :p

photo1ddqsw.jpg

XShagrath

I hate the 2 player variant. It's a completely different game at that point and that game sucks.
To each their own, I guess. It does change the strategy of the game drastically, but I don't think it makes it a bad game. I'm not a huge fan of the game anyways, and the three player game we played didn't sway me in either direction.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just got in a game of Bioshock Infinite: Siege of Columbia. Really sold area control game. The mechanic of using your action cards in three different ways (influence, combat, money) is very good and leads to some interesting decisions. The combat itself is very simple but it works. It's also pretty friendly as you will only ever lose 1 unit in combat if you lose, unless you really screw up and don't have any strongholds to retreat to then you lose them all. Booker was always a threat but ended up being a non-issue as he only really attacked once at it was late game so we re fairly well equipped to take him.

I ended up winning pretty handily, but since most of my points were on the board that could have changed at any time. I will say that the end of the game was anti-climactic. I ended up taking an area to grab me a territory point and I was able to claim a goal card that stated I owned four territories. It was also during a turn where we had an f-ton of cards so my friend was gearing up to take some territories back. Oh we'll, still a fun game and my friend and I already made plans to play it again later this week.

Cool, might be playing it with a buddy on Thursday.

Slacker

My group's first attempt with a miniatures game is happening tomorrow night with my Target-discount-copies of X-Wing. I've read it's better 1v1. but we play lots of 2v2 games so I could see this working for us.

I guess the Y-Wing and the Tie Advanced are hard to find at the moment? I was hoping to throw those in to add some variety (X-Wing/Y-Wing versus 2 Tie Fighters and 1 Tie Advanced). Instead we'll just have 2v4, around 65 points each side. Should be good for a first game I hope.

Also, I discovered the board from one of the Axis & Allies 1940 games is almost the perfect size for the game (around 3' 0" by 2' 10").

ZTcTslm.jpg

joelseph

They are here! :p

http://abload.de/img/photo1ddqsw.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="Apenheul, post: 76151519"][img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MoZw4xpTm5Q/Ugox8upUlbI/AAAAAAAABtc/Goh13RGuZbo/w1345-h1009-no/doom.jpg[img]
I just couldn't resist for 40 euros, will buy Descent 2nd edition too some time this year.[/QUOTE]

Nice!

Nice!

Masquerades is on my short list.

Reddit is saying Firefly will be on sale so I will be running to Gale Force Nine's booth first thing Thursday for two copies. Cross your fingers Joey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom