• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, the new BSG expansion stuff is brutal. We just got our nuts fucking stomped in a 5 player game. Gonna try the new Cylon leader option with 5 people next time. Mutiny cards are a bitch to manage, although those are easily my favorite part of the expansion.

Hoping to see a lot of impressions and reviews on this soon. Even though I love the game I was kinda doubting to buy the first two expansions because of the mixed impressions. But if this turns out to be good I might just buy this one if it works well with only the basegame. I am in a buying mood though and weekend is almost over, so I might just spend my money on different games...

Oh man, the new BSG expansion stuff is brutal. We just got our nuts fucking stomped in a 5 player game. Gonna try the new Cylon leader option with 5 people next time. Mutiny cards are a bitch to manage, although those are easily my favorite part of the expansion.

Need more info!

I passed on Pegasus because I played a friend's copy and the whole New Caprica phase is bullshit and a real momentum killer. We really never got into Cylon Leaders either.

Would love to know if this one is good. I ready up on some of the changes they made to the characters and they sound delightful.

Apenheul

Music to my ears!

Apenheul

Yesterday I've been playing board games for 10 hours (got to practice before purchasing Twilight Imperium 3, right?) and went to sleep with a headache. Oh well, I had a good time anyway. This is what I've played:

Gears of War: The Board Game - Playing this together with a cousin, we completed the third scenario (Belly of the Beast, where you first encounter Theron Guards) and made an attempt at Roadblocks (the scenario with Tickers all over the place). It's a pretty challenging game with only two players and we only win one out of four times but I'm really enjoying it and committed to complete all scenarios.

King of Tokyo - During the afternoon family visited me so I had an opportunity to introduce King of Tokyo to them, the Yahtzee-ish push-your-luck concept can easily be taught to newcomers although with 6 players the game moves quite slowly because nobody wants to stay in Tokyo for a whole round. Still I had a good time.

Arkham Horror - During the beginning of the evening my gaming group arrived and for some reason they love Arkham Horror above anything else (except maybe Battlestar Galactica). I personally enjoy the game and am usually willing to play it, but gameplay-wise I just don't find it very interesting. I don't feel like I really have control over anything, a whole bunch of things just happen and all I can do is hope that I can successfully pass totally random skill-checks that you can't see coming. Anyway, three of us started with Elder Sign cards and I had Find Gate, so in a very short time we finished the game by sealing 6 gates and the doom track was only at 2. It was extremely easy this time.

Doom - It was almost midnight but three of us were unsatisfied from winning AH so easily, I suggested unwrapping and learning how to play Doom. After 40 minutes of punching out cardboard pieces and reading the rulebook we decided that I'd be the Overlord and the other two would be playing marines. Four hours later and about halfway through the first scenario we just called it a day; we were really tired, I had a headache and the sun would rise again in less than two hours. I look forward to playing Doom again.

Galaxy Truckers looks to be my next purchase. It's a weird feeling being limited by what my friends will realistically want to play. Didn't buy Formula D because my enthusiasm leading up to getting it was met with a wall of silence. Ended up buying Quarriors but after a few games it feels like a rushed purchase.

Didn't get to touch it, there was always a huge crowd watching it and they only had one table set up with it. Its a huge game, a bit odd for what is more of a party game.

Xater

Didn't get to touch it, there was always a huge crowd watching it and they only had one table set up with it. Its a huge game, a bit odd for what is more of a party game.

Uhm what I have read they just had a huge version of it. It was like 200% the size of what the game you buy will be.

Sorry for yet another Android post. I'm building a shaper deck for Kit and I'm trying to decide between two consoles, Desperado and Toolbox. Is Desperado worth splashing considering Kit only has 10 influence to spend? I like the credit bump of Desperado but the additional MU and link of Toolbox looks good too even though it costs more to install.

joelseph

Any Rampage impressions?

Demo unit was a little too big for a normal table, production sample looked too small to be fun compared to the demo unit.

Gameplay was rock solid through the first 3 quarters of the game. Last quarter of the game can start to drag as meeple stragglers are eaten.

The penalties for going off table or knocking meeples off is sufficient to keep people in check most of the time but pieces will fly off the table.

The blowing action is hard to pull off compared to the stomp and car actions. Stomp can make quick work of the board. (To stomp you flick the feet disc of your monster until it is touching the sidewalk around a building, you can then lift your monsters body above the building and drop it.)

The powerups and special actions are varied and add some clever mechanics to the game.

The game looks amazing and plays great, it is an instant hit.

The one thing I am worried about is there enough player interactivity to stop another player from steamrolling a game.

There was also a strange corner case in a game I was watching where a floor was hanging off the game board edge with meeples on it and there were already too many meeple run-aways to make going after the floor to be profitable but you need to clear the board to end the game.

Innovation bombed with my group, hard. Is there any reason to keep it as a two player game?

I really like the theme and the mechanics, but 3-4 players definitely wasn't that much fun and I don't know if anyone would wanna play 2 players when we have other 2 player games.

Just got back from GenCon. I had a lot of fun touching base with the developers whose games I've kickstarted. Highlights were definitely the Giant Catan game (and I don't even like Catan) and winning a King of Tokyo tournament this morning for a Space Penguin.

I tried to limit my pickups and I succeeded in only getting Dungeon Roll, until I picked up Duel of Ages II Master Set (which I immediately regretted after walking 6 blocks and back with the game...it weighs a ton!).

I asked the lady from Asmoder. The actual game is about 2/3 the size and should fit on a regular table. Yeah, I did not like the blowing mechanic.

More impressions when I get back home.

Xater

I am kinda excited for Battlelore Second Edition but now I have also seen Warhammer Disk Wars. That looks like a cheap alternative to real miniature gaming. I will take a good look at both of those and probably pick up one of them.

The one big annoyance of Gencon, well just to me I guess but it was Kickstarter (yea I made it clear how I'm getting sick of kickstarter). Seemed everywhere you went, it was kickstarter this, kickstarter that. Oh you like that, it's a kickstarter exclusive. Look at this cool kickstarted project you missed and the exclusives you will not get now. When is this coming out? Oh it's not, your just pimping a future kickstarter. HUGE booths like CMON and Gamesalute where almost every single item is kickstarted.

Retail shop owners must be giddy.....

It's not a great game, but evil baby orphanage from wyrd has all the promos from kickstarter for free. And they even had the tins that were from the kickstarter.

Serpent's Tongue is another one where the kickstarter clearly went to developing the game. The components looked amazing and I haven't run in to developers who were as enthusiastic about their game since Sentinels of the multiverse.

I try to back games that are clearly seeking funds in order to be able to exist in the retail space, not trying to circumvent it. That's why I try to stay away from game salute.

The one big annoyance of Gencon, well just to me I guess but it was Kickstarter (yea I made it clear how I'm getting sick of kickstarter). Seemed everywhere you went, it was kickstarter this, kickstarter that. Oh you like that, it's a kickstarter exclusive. Look at this cool kickstarted project you missed and the exclusives you will not get now. When is this coming out? Oh it's not, your just pimping a future kickstarter. HUGE booths like CMON and Gamesalute where almost every single item is kickstarted.

I went with a friend who's a major Kickstarterer and he had a slightly different opinion:

A lot of the stuff he backed he hasn't received yet, but its sure fun seeing other people walking around with them in their hands all weekend long at the con (Zombicide Season 2 and something something Metro to name at least two)

I went with a friend who's a major Kickstarterer and he had a slightly different opinion:

A lot of the stuff he backed he hasn't received yet, but its sure fun seeing other people walking around with them in their hands all weekend long at the con (Zombicide Season 2 and something something Metro to name at least two)

Well Zombicide season 2 folks were the one who kickstartered it, you could pick up your copy early at the con on Saturday (they just got them in). Game salute though was full of games that kickstarter backers didn't get yet but they had stacks for sale

fenners

He'll be getting his season two stuff in the mail in the next couple of weeks, along with the extras/promos that buyers at GenCon /didn't/ get for their full price purchase.As Battlemonkey said, backers could go pick up their games if they wanted. As a backer, I have no problem with how CMN handled Zombicide at Gencon.

BattleMonkey said:
Game salute though was full of games that kickstarter backers didn't get yet but they had stacks for sale

Now /that/ doesn't surprise me.

Retail shop owners must be giddy.....

There's a growing number of retailers being more vocal against some Kickstarter games & choosing not to stock them.

Xater

I kickstarted some video games but so far board games have not been something that seemed like a good idea to me. In my opinion there has also not yet been a break out hit when it comes to quality.

I kickstarted some video games but so far board games have not been something that seemed like a good idea to me. In my opinion there has also not yet been a break out hit when it comes to quality.
Alien Frontiers, Zombicide, and Flash Point Fire Rescue are three I immediately thought of that are really good kickstarted games. I'm sure there are more, but of course there are far more poor or mediocre KS games out there than really good ones.

fenners

Alien Frontiers, Zombicide, and Flash Point Fire Rescue are three I immediately thought of that are really good kickstarted games. I'm sure there are more, but of course there are far more poor or mediocre KS games out there than really good ones.

I think we've all discussed at length how the success of kickstarter allows more mediocre games come to market but at the same allows some gems to reach a niche audience the existing publishers aren't willing to go after. But man, some doozy of underdeveloper games get out there & take people's money because of it.

Lost Valley will be good once it is released.....

Reprints are different to new games on KS - the quality of the design has already been proven (like Tammany Hall).

Xater

I actually forgot that Alien Frontiers and Flash Point were Kickstarter games. I am not yet convinced of Zombicide. I haven't played it yet ,but that looks to me more like people are excited more about the miniatures than the game ;)

Reprints are different to new games on KS - the quality of the design has already been proven (like Tammany Hall).

I would also not count reprints. Those are a completely different story.

I didn't sit down with it, but did see it and took a picture. The new folks behind the game were sharing booth space with FFG. I haven't picked up the last expansion for it either so not sure if I want to invest more in the game. Fantastic game but it's size and setup/clean up is a pain for a mainly two player game

Luckily I've only Kickstarted the two Zombicides and Pandasaurus games' because most of them I still have hesitations with. I don't blindly Kickstart CMoN's projects either. Closest I came to another project was Kingdom Death Monster but that one rubbed me the wrong way with all the addons.

Ohnonono

Just preordered Pathfinder card game and the character expansion. Pretty excited after all the vids. I love that it is one campaign for the year where everything levels up with your character. Can't wait to roll some skill checks.

Just preordered Pathfinder card game and the character expansion. Pretty excited after all the vids. I love that it is one campaign for the year where everything levels up with your character. Can't wait to roll some skill checks.
I'm going to keep an eye on this one. It seems really similar to Sentinels of the Multiverse, but I love the idea of a campaign where you level up your characters and award them better weapons. Seems neat.

Have to wait till Wed to play my copy :( Had to ship all my con purchases home UPS, GF and me bought way too much. And Indy's hotel taxes are ridiculous, this was a pricey trip lol.

Danoss

All the Kickstarter projects where I have pledged and the product is ready in time for Gen Con, but not leaving enough time for the mail-out, have offered backers the ability to pick the product up at the event. Seeing a bunch of people carrying a particular product with them might urge a lot of people not aware of it to take a look. It's beneficial to both the backers and the product makers.

When the volume of sales for many items in tabletop gaming are not great, you can hardly fault anyone for taking the opportunity to sell more when it's still fresh in peoples minds and the excitement is there. If a pick-up at the event is feasible and is not offered, then it can be seen as a middle finger to backers. If it's not, who cares? More sales and more interest often equates to more product support; everybody wins.

Not having a go at you or your mate, just offering a different perspective.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just scored all of Descent (first edition) for $200 (minus maybe that quest compendium)! Guy has it all in a storage caddy and at least semi separated so now I get to lay it all out and inventory it (hopefully without my son eating a piece or three :) wow, that is a TON of plastic and cardboard! I thought the collected TI:3 was a bunch of stuff, this is a whole 'nother level.

Did it mostly for use with second edition, so now I gotta get that conversion kit.

Damn, that is a lot of plastic and cardboard :p why is there not a Mass Effect game made like this?????

Just scored all of Descent (first edition) for $200 (minus maybe that quest compendium)! Guy has it all in a storage caddy and at least semi separated so now I get to lay it all out and inventory it (hopefully without my son eating a piece or three :) wow, that is a TON of plastic and cardboard! I thought the collected TI:3 was a bunch of stuff, this is a whole 'nother level.

Did it mostly for use with second edition, so now I gotta get that conversion kit.

Damn, that is a lot of plastic and cardboard :p why is there not a Mass Effect game made like this?????

Use it for 1st edition, it's a better game :p

I actually wonder what the consensus on this is. I know some people who loved 2nd ed. for all the reasons that the people I know who loved 1st ed. hated it for.

From BGG it seems quite divided. Lot of the folks who like 2E hated 1E, and the other way around as well with folks who loved the original.

They are so different though, if you took away the name Descent, you would think they were two completely different games. I'm keeping both as they are so different. But I think in a way they appeal to different groups.

joelseph

I'd be in the black if I sold the space penguin that I won, but I really want to keep him.

Better sell it quick before ebay floods with the gencon penguins and the leftovers go up on BGG Store =)

Speaking of, I heard rumors that the Trains GenCon board will go up on BGG Store as well. I don't regret paying $30 for mine, it has my hometown on it!

fenners

Better sell it quick before ebay floods with the gencon penguins and the leftovers go up on BGG Store =)

Sadly they're not giving BGG store any more King of Tokyo promos :( Hopefully they'll be at BGG.Con.

Speaking of, I heard rumors that the Trains GenCon board will go up on BGG Store as well. I don't regret paying $30 for mine, it has my hometown on it!

Heh. I enjoyed Trains last year. How's the english version?

joelseph

Heh. I enjoyed Trains last year. How's the english version?

Just higher production level. The cards are extremely good looking.

The board is double-sided. One side is Tokyo, the other side is Osaka. 1 sided GenCon board given out in the AEG swag box is Indiana. The couple games I have played I really enjoyed the familiar dominion action with the added layer of board position and forced waste management. Still getting my mind around strategies.

fenners

Just higher production level. The cards are extremely good looking.

The board is double-sided. One side is Tokyo, the other side is Osaka. 1 sided GenCon board given out in the AEG swag box is Indiana. The couple games I have played I really enjoyed the familiar dominion action with the added layer of board position and forced waste management. Still getting my mind around strategies.

Yeah the first game I played, we treated it as Dominon & then mid-game we realised to focus on the train element. Played it again rightaway, which is rare for BGG.Con games ;) Waay more strategic thought in the second game. Really enjoyed it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Almost pulled the trigger on Trains today, but will probably let the world digest it for a few months. Afraid of it being a game you "solve" at the outset like Dominion, but that seems less likely given the board element. Theme is also a little dry. They should have called it supertrains or something and have trains with wings and maglev and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom