• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenners

I see joeyjoejoeshabadoo's got a shipping notification for Zombicide Season 2 already. Bastard :p

I'm waiting for Prison Outbreak + Toxic Box of Zombies (skipped the mall for now, I'll have enough toxic zombies to mess around with between the promos & this box) + the various kickstarter promos obviously. Looking forward to digging into Prison Outbreak, all the spoilers so far for missions/tiles look really interesting to me. Love the security rooms that block line of fire etc.

But what about the expansions...how much room is left with sleeves, i wonder

It depends, the expansions are not meant to be mixed in and left in the box. You only use the base set cards and when you play a specific adventure pack's scenario, you mix in some of those cards into the pools of base cards, but afterwards you usually will take them out as you are not supposed to mix the adventure cards. The game has slots for the 6 adventure packs to come, but in their original box. It is possible to probably fit all the future cards in there but you will need to get rid of the boxes for them and probably have to just keep them organized in another means, like a rubber band.... you could possibly lay them in the tray then and make em fit.

I see joeyjoejoeshabadoo's got a shipping notification for Zombicide Season 2 already. Bastard :p

I'm waiting for Prison Outbreak + Toxic Box of Zombies (skipped the mall for now, I'll have enough toxic zombies to mess around with between the promos & this box) + the various kickstarter promos obviously. Looking forward to digging into Prison Outbreak, all the spoilers so far for missions/tiles look really interesting to me. Love the security rooms that block line of fire etc.
Yup, super excited to get my season 2 box in. I traded away season 1 recently because I couldn't think of a scenario where I needed both. However, I've been itching to play Zombicide again ever since I traded it away.

Ohnonono

It depends, the expansions are not meant to be mixed in and left in the box. You only use the base set cards and when you play a specific adventure pack's scenario, you mix in some of those cards into the pools of base cards, but afterwards you usually will take them out as you are not supposed to mix the adventure cards. The game has slots for the 6 adventure packs to come, but in their original box. It is possible to probably fit all the future cards in there but you will need to get rid of the boxes for them and probably have to just keep them organized in another means, like a rubber band.... you could possibly lay them in the tray then and make em fit.

You mix the first 3 adventure decks together. After that you remove old cards as you encounter and defeat/choose not to aquire them. On BGG the designer said 3 800 count card boxes fit in the box and to make some dividers. He said they played it that way the entire test period and as long as your organized it works just fine.

Apenheul

BSG Daybreak expansion has been shipped! Expecting it to arrive tomorrow together with Robinson Crusoe although it won't be for at least two weeks before I can get the group together.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, super excited to get my season 2 box in. I traded away season 1 recently because I couldn't think of a scenario where I needed both. However, I've been itching to play Zombicide again ever since I traded it away.

Probably when you are surrounded by a fuck ton of zombies and there are no mini's left so you have to give them an extra activation ;)

Since I was a late backer, I imagine I won't get mine until late September.

joelseph

But what about the expansions...how much room is left with sleeves, i wonder

I did not sleeve the adventure pack expansion that was included in box because I don't want to spoil it until I am ready.

I did however sleeve the character expansion pack and 2 gencon promos and they fit with the base cards in the original molding.

I had to swap the 'Blessings' location with the 'Henchmen' location. That will make sense when you are looking at it.

Enjoy!

fenners

Probably when you are surrounded by a fuck ton of zombies and there are no mini's left so you have to give them an extra activation ;)

Since I was a late backer, I imagine I won't get mine until late September.

The shipping order is dependent on what you ordered in this first round of the season (biggest bulks of "same" order details first essentially) so they can whizz through their queue (i.e. "grab xyz 100 times" that's 100 orders done, "grab xyzvw" for the next 100 etc). So there's no particular order based on when you backed or alphabetical etc. Depends how many people ordered the same as you.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The shipping order is dependent on what you ordered in this first round of the season (biggest bulks of "same" order details first essentially) so they can whizz through their queue (i.e. "grab xyz 100 times" that's 100 orders done, "grab xyzvw" for the next 100 etc). So there's no particular order based on when you backed or alphabetical etc. Depends how many people ordered the same as you.

Hmmm, that's cool. I got the $150 pledge and an extra character.

daevv

Chapters.indigo.ca has the Dungeon Command games on sale right now for $30 and free shipping. If you use the promo code WelcomeAugust you get another $5 off. If you are a free plum card holder you get an additional $1.33 off. I ordered the Undead set and the total came to $26.61 to the door. Great deal for anyone in Canada looking to start playing or to add monsters to the Legend of Drizzit, Ravenloft, Asharden game sets. I'm not sure which set is the best for learning to play so I went with cool figures. :)
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/search/?keywords=dungeon command&suggest=1

Why hasn't my Pathfinder order shipped Amazon?! The expected delivery date has been tomorrow for like a week.

Well the product still has not shipped and the date hasn't changed.

:/

Pathfinder card game in hand. The box is ginormous!

Picked it up at my local FLGS (CSI). Sad they don't have Bruges in stock.

none of my local stores have it or even care. Amazon is all over the place with delivery dates.

I am pretty frustrated but I guess i will just have to wait.

Brick

Really jonesing for Pathfinder to ship. I'm starting to consider canceling my Amazon order and hunting one down locally, since Amazon is saying that it won't ship until Sept. 12th. Anyone have any impressions of the game yet?

I went ahead and canceled my Amazon order. They gave me all kinds of date ranging from Friday to the 12th. I called around today and finally 2 of my FLGS said they will be getting it today or tomorrow.

its weird because stores in Idaho and stuff have had it since last week.

Ohnonono

Really jonesing for Pathfinder to ship. I'm starting to consider canceling my Amazon order and hunting one down locally, since Amazon is saying that it won't ship until Sept. 12th. Anyone have any impressions of the game yet?

My short impression is that it is really really good. Tom Vassal and Joel Eddy both loved it for what that is worth as well.

joelseph

It's good. As a card gamer after I got a strong grasp of the mechanics I am totally happy with the purchase. Will be interested in how well they support it with future expansions.

The box is awesome, but my minor complaint is the top is so tight it's hard to get off!

It's fun. If you are looking for a narrative RPG like experience, you are not going to get one, but it does kinda break down the table top RPG experience into a random card game. You have scenarios that can be played in chains like an adventure, each giving rewards that if your character survives, can keep progressing through each subsequent adventure.

Depending on players, you build a set of location decks where you are tasked with mixing in random elments according to that locations rules. You then mix in the scenarios villain and henchmen throughout all the decks and you shuffle each deck. Players then play it fully coop, there is no GM involved and it all depends on the randomness of the game. Each scenario essentially breaks down to a variation of digging through the location decks for the villain while you have to close down the locations to prevent the villain to escape to another deck where he can hide.

While its based off d20 game, the game doesn't use any d20's so it makes use of most other sized dice with the simple meet or beat a specific difficulty number.

There is only a short paragraph description of the scenario, so it's obviously up to players imaginations to come up with reasoning behind some of the stuff.... why is there a bugbear in the library?!

The one off scenario play is fun, but the main highlight of the game is the continual progression, as each adventure pack that is released will be increasing that story paths difficulty. Players can play the scenarios similar to a RPG earning loot and upgrading their characters.

It's pretty neat as it keeps a slight feel of a table top rpg but highly condenses it into a randomized card game. If your looking for story and such in your rpg you will find it kinda bland in that manner, but if your in it more as a card game and like the whole progression aspect, it should satisfy a person.

Long term replayability will remain to be seen with how the adventure packs are set up, but players also can get creative and attempt creating their own adventures too.

Ohnonono

It's good. As a card gamer after I got a strong grasp of the mechanics I am totally happy with the purchase. Will be interested in how well they support it with future expansions.

The box is awesome, but my minor complaint is the top is so tight it's hard to get off!

LOL, that top is a fucking menace. My wife laughs at me cause it takes longer to get the damn box top off than it does to play.

Totally gonna end up buying the Runelords campaign book just for the hell of it because of this game.

Karkador

Banned
I cancelled my Amazon order, too, and found it last night at a local shop. Actually, I ended up playing Dwarven Miner with Tom Vasel, too, and he pointed out my big Pathfinder Card Game box and said it was fun.

ultron87

Argh I'm standing here between Magic rounds being tempted by the Pathfinder card game. It appeals to me on every axis, but I'll never get to play it. Mostly because I'm currently running my friends through the campaign it takes all its characters from. Spoilers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
People were complaining about this becoming the Netrunner thread -- and now it's the Pathfinder thread! (And no one's posting in the new NR thread.) :p

Purely joking.

In non-Pathfinder news though, I played Forbidden Desert yesterday. Quite fun and challenging, but I don't think it's as good of a gateway as Forbidden Island. It's definitely more different from FI than I expected.

daevv

Argh I'm standing here between Magic rounds being tempted by the Pathfinder card game. It appeals to me on every axis, but I'll never get to play it. Mostly because I'm currently running my friends through the campaign it takes all its characters from. Spoilers.

You can play it solo. That's how I intend to learn how to play it, before introducing it to the gang.

I got the Lords of Waterdeep expansion today. Looks fun. Time to punch out some pieces (one of my favorite things to do) and read the rulebook. :)

Waterdeep expansion is nice and simple. I wouldn't recommend the long game option though as the game doesn't really have enough spaces for all the extra pieces. If you play the Skullport module with long game option, it kinda defeats the purpose of the corruption mechanic since it forces players to take corruption no matter what. It's supposed to be a risk/reward mechanic that I think the long game variant in the expansion does not work with. It works better with the Undermountain module or it might be ok if you add both modules to the game.

People were complaining about this becoming the Netrunner thread -- and now it's the Pathfinder thread! (And no one's posting in the new NR thread.) :p

Purely joking.

In non-Pathfinder news though, I played Forbidden Desert yesterday. Quite fun and challenging, but I don't think it's as good of a gateway as Forbidden Island. It's definitely more different from FI than I expected.

It's the new thing. It will wear off in a few months.

Artadius

My Miniature Market order arrives on Friday.

So much goodness in one box its crazy.

Pathfinder + Character Add On Deck
BSG Daybreak
Lords of Waterdeep Skullport Expansion

Saturday Game Night will be grand.

joelseph

I am doing the Extra Life fundraiser again this year. I am raising money for November 2nd when me and my buddies will be playing boardgames for 25 hours straight with all proceeds going to help kids in The Children's Hospital Network. Last year my friends and family donated over 1,000 dollars that went directly to the Peoria Children's Hospital. This year, with the help of my gaming crew Lighter Thieves, we are trying to crush that! If you can spare a small donation please take a moment to follow the link. Many thanks fellow boardgaffers.

Joelseph's Extra Life donation page

Just finished my first couple Pathfinder games. Holy shit.. This game is like crack for me. I feel like Paizo has a damn good engine here and if they just keep feeding me adventures they will get A LOT of my money. This is exactly what I have been looking for in a game for my group.

My hat is off to these guys I haven't played a game that I loved as much as this in my first play ever.

You can write this off as hyberbole or whatever but this game is seriously amazing.

I realize normal pathfinder and RP guys are gonna laugh about card driven game with no D20 but for what I need this game is perfect.

My first adventure came down to a few rolls and It felt like an epic last throw of my dagger to defeat the villain or die trying.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah I just finished a game by myself and it was pretty fun. Quite simple to play through, as well. I can easily imagine playing through a full campaign with other people would feel pretty rewarding (and wouldn't take that long)

Yeah I just finished a game by myself and it was pretty fun. Quite simple to play through, as well. I can easily imagine playing through a full campaign with other people would feel pretty rewarding (and wouldn't take that long)

Exactly this! We have tried to get some real pathfinder going and it just doesn't fit what we need. This can be brought out. Play a adventure in our campaign, level up and stow everything for next time. It's simplicity is great for the board gamers in my group but its deep enough with card decisions that I really enjoy it.

Karkador

Banned
How do you find the setup? Because people said in previews that was what they were dreading the most, but I think it's not all that bothersome. I thought it was actually kind of fun to do.

How do you find the setup? Because people said in previews that was what they were dreading the most, but I think it's not all that bothersome. I thought it was actually kind of fun to do.

Yeah it's not bad at all. Once you know what you are doing its like puting together dominion. Little more complex but I thought it was fine.

Just played again and smoked Black Fang with the cleric. Damn skeletons had no chance.

I have the pathfinder beginner box for the RP game so I have little stand up cardboard cut outs for characters.

Im going to throw them in the card game box.

Make sure to read up on the pathfinder official thread on the game and the rulings. Lot of iffy rules in the game that clarification helps to have.

Make sure to read up on the pathfinder official thread on the game and the rulings. Lot of iffy rules in the game that clarification helps to have.

Where is this thread? BGG? Paizo.com??

thanks man.

Paizo. The BGG stuff is ok but the Paizo staff is going to try and stay off it for official answers as much as possible as any official rulings will be done on Paizo's site. They don't want answers being put on two different boards and causing potential conflicts since there is different devs answering questions.

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/adventureCardGame

Thank you!

I am doing the Extra Life fundraiser again this year. I am raising money for November 2nd when me and my buddies will be playing boardgames for 25 hours straight with all proceeds going to help kids in The Children's Hospital Network. Last year my friends and family donated over 1,000 dollars that went directly to the Peoria Children's Hospital. This year, with the help of my gaming crew Lighter Thieves, we are trying to crush that! If you can spare a small donation please take a moment to follow the link. Many thanks fellow boardgaffers.

Joelseph's Extra Life donation page
Donated!

Neverfade

Mascarade: A lot of fun. If you like Love Letter or Coup, you need this.

Personally, it shits upon Coup from a great height. Completely replaces that one.

Personally, it shits upon Coup from a great height. Completely replaces that one.

Did you mean Coup, the game done by the Resistance team? I thought Coup had a lot of potential, but if what you're saying is true ...

Neverfade

Did you mean Coup, the game done by the Resistance team? I thought Coup had a lot of potential, but if what you're saying is true ...

Coup wasn't by the same guy who did Resistance, but that guy did sell/give the rights to retheme it to a game in the Resistance universe, yes. I have the French version (just different art from the original small print run). From play 1, I never thought it was that great. Love Letter is superior IMO, but that one only played 4. Mascarade plays up to 13, has no player elimination and succeeds at the "who's who" game infinitely better than Coup. Unless I'm somewhere where someone else insists on bringing a copy of Coup out, I doubt I'll ever play that game again.

joelseph

Disagree. Like Bruno's similar game Citadels, Mascarade can start to drag at larger numbers. When you have over 5 IMO I would rather be playing the quicker Coup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom