• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artadius

Thanks! All bought :) The other two are in my wishlist until they get closer to release.

If you're going to potentially play with 5 or 6 players, you need to get the Character Add-On deck as well which is a separate product... otherwise, you're limited to playing 1-4 players.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bah. My planned room-mate for BGG.Con went & agreed to share with another buddy. So I'm without a room for BGG.Con onsite at this time as the room block is effectively sold out.

Bah.
You can stay with us (friend and I) if you're OK with couch/cot.

joelseph

My dislike for Ascension has all but disappeared after playing a couple games with only the 2 most recent expansions. Energy and transformers are pretty cool! I actually requested the game for tonight. I blame Astro!

Im not sure if this is the right thread to ask for this (do we have a tabletop RPG thread?) but im going to ask here anyway!

So now that Ive bought the Pathfinder Card Game, I want to get all the miniatures for the heroes (base set and character expansion), Ive noticed there is a set with Kyra, Valeros, Merisiel and Ezren, but thats only 4! I need the other 7! haha

Is there a good way to go about getting the rest of the Hero miniatures?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So I got this Pathfinder game so I could actually play a board game for fun for the first time in months.

Managed to snag the 6 player expansion and the poog of zanrongel promo. Now I kind of want to get the other promo..

This is more of what I thought the LOTR LCG would be like. Story based with "living" characters. Still love that game, but this is amazing.

Thanks for the link!

pathfinder:acg is going to open the door for a lot of people into pnp RPGs I think.

Yup. It did for me.

I was already semi interested in trying out a tabletop rpg, but when I can go from one room at PAX playing Pathfinder ACG, then take 20 steps and play real pathfinder right after I was hooked.

I do prefer having a map, and miniatures to show where I am though, so true PnP RPGs dont really interest me as much.

Neverfade

RE: Pathfinder CG -- Can I go ahead and open the Burnt Offerings pack and shuffle those cards into their respective decks before playing the core set Brigandoom scenario? Or are those cards reserved for that pack's adventure?

Edit: Other player can play cards to help your checks? Do they have to be at the same location to do so?

RE: Pathfinder CG -- Can I go ahead and open the Burnt Offerings pack and shuffle those cards into their respective decks before playing the core set Brigandoom scenario? Or are those cards reserved for that pack's adventure?

Edit: Other player can play cards to help your checks? Do they have to be at the same location to do so?

Leave BO out until you start that scenario. Character expansion can go in now. Other players can play blessings of the gods from anywhere and I believe a few bows allow them to help from other locations too. Everything else has to be at the location and the cards have to say add to a check if it says your check they can't use it.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Neverfade

Leave BO out until you start that scenario. Character expansion can go in now. Other players can play blessings of the gods from anywhere and I believe a few bows allow them to help from other locations too. Everything else has to be at the location and the cards have to say add to a check if it says your check they can't use it.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but is that somewhere in the rulebook? "Play cards that affect the check (optional)" section mentions nothing of location restrictions, nor blessings of the gods being playable anywhere.

XShagrath

I'm not saying you're wrong, but is that somewhere in the rulebook? "Play cards that affect the check (optional)" section mentions nothing of location restrictions, nor blessings of the gods being playable anywhere.

Page 16 under Blessings.

Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location.

You know what you are correct about the cards effecting a check. It seems the only restriction is what the card actually says.

Here is a thread on this rule from BGG where Mike the designer posted in.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1024588/can-caltrops-be-used-to-help-other-characters

Still confusing to me and I personally like having to be at the location to use items but that will have to be a house rule I guess.

Blessings I know I read can be used anywhere.

I've hit that point where I'm condensing expansions and letting go of the idea of always using the insert.

Michaels (craft) stores finally have meaning in my life once again.

Yeah, thematically that's why I had to ask. Blessings seem ok, items don't make much sense though.

Most items specify "your" check or checks you make. Those can't be played to help other layers checks.

Also to note, its been clarified by paizo that you can't play a card like an item on another players turn if its not to affect a check. For example the tools card can be discarded to defeat a barrier. You can not play if the barrier encounter belongs to another player. Same with caltrops, which auto defeats a monster if you banish it. Can't play that to help another player. Only cards you can play on other players turns, are to modify checks. Which is mainly blessings.

I've hit that point where I'm condensing expansions and letting go of the idea of always using the insert.

Michaels (craft) stores finally have meaning in my life once again.

Two of those white 600 count card boxes fit in there. I don't want to do that though. The insert is nice but I'm going to be out of room soon. According to Paizo even sleeved the insert will last until sometime in '14 because you remove cards and put them into the expansion boxes.

Neverfade

One more P:ACG question: If a barrier is undefeated, it's just flipped back over and remains on top of the deck (obviously unless noted otherwise), right? Wouldn't be very barrier-ish otherwise, so we played it that way.

Fun game. Setup isn't my favorite but it's a neat romp. We played Brigandoom and with the last location full of cards and on the very last turn, flip the villian and put a crossbow bolt through his heart. Neat!

One more P:ACG question: If a barrier is undefeated, it's just flipped back over and remains on top of the deck (obviously unless noted otherwise), right? Wouldn't be very barrier-ish otherwise, so we played it that way.

Fun game. Setup isn't my favorite but it's a neat romp. We played Brigandoom and with the last location full of cards and on the very last turn, flip the villian and put a crossbow bolt through his heart. Neat!

Setup gets easier after a few plays. The feeling of defeating a villain and actually fighting these villains is really strong In this game! I love it. On a few occasions I have pressed my luck with no health and defeated the encounter. Those rolls really stress you out, especially if you have a few games under your belt with them.

Anyways great little dungeon crawl card game with progression.

Feed me more Paizo!

StoOgE

So I'm trying to set up a subscription for the Pathfinder booster packs on Paizo's website and that thing is really borked. It's rejected 4 different payment methods and trying to specify a different mailing address than billing address is kicking me back to the homepage.

I *really* like the idea of new quests just showing up on my doorstep (plus, you get all the promo cards).

Now I just need to figure out about sleeving and how to get the fire sneeze promo and some sort of better storage solution for this guy that still uses the box.

What is everyone doing with the character cards? Are you marking them up or printing off the character sheets?

Any bane you don't defeat gets shuffled back into the deck unless it says otherwise.

What is everyone doing with the character cards? Are you marking them up or printing off the character sheets?

Double clear sided sleeves, dry erase marker.

Draxal

So I'm trying to set up a subscription for the Pathfinder booster packs on Paizo's website and that thing is really borked. It's rejected 4 different payment methods and trying to specify a different mailing address than billing address is kicking me back to the homepage.

I *really* like the idea of new quests just showing up on my doorstep (plus, you get all the promo cards).

Now I just need to figure out about sleeving and how to get the fire sneeze promo and some sort of better storage solution for this guy that still uses the box.

Call customer service, I had to do the same after it refused a credit twice; but after I called they pushed it through.

I think laminating the character sheets they have on the web page is the best way to go. just haven't done it yet.

edit. Also make sure to check your credit history, the authorizations probably went through; so you would want to contact customer service to remove those authorizations.

StoOgE

Call customer service, I had to do the same after it refused a credit twice; but after I called they pushed it through.

I think laminating the character sheets they have on the web page is the best way to go. just haven't done it yet.

edit. Also make sure to check your credit history, the authorizations probably went through; so you would want to contact customer service to remove those authorizations.

Thanks for the heads up. Yupp, have like 6 authorizations lol

hat_hair

After playing Risk Legacy, I just don't care. We're using pencils. If I ever REALLY want to start these characters from scratch again, I'll print off some new sheets, but for now I actually like having a permanent record of what we've done.

After playing Risk Legacy, I just don't care. We're using pencils. If I ever REALLY want to start these characters from scratch again, I'll print off some new sheets, but for now I actually like having a permanent record of what we've done.

Makes sense in Legacy but this game can be boxed and reused forever if the cards hold up. I would never write on these cards.

that's just personal opinion though. I mean even a sharpie on a clear sleeve will do the job.

StoOgE

Makes sense in Legacy but this game can be boxed and reused forever if the cards hold up. I would never write on these cards.

that's just personal opinion though. I mean even a sharpie on a clear sleeve will do the job.

That's my issue as well. I can see myself wanting to go through these scenarios over and over again through the years.

Risk Legacy I feel like needs to be destroyed as you play it. It's part of the gimmick of the game, and feeling like yo own it by the end is its hook.

Apenheul

This weekend is going to be glorious..

bordspellensept.jpg

Draxal

The character sheets on Paizo's page have all the items, allies, loot, etc... From all six adventuebpaths and since you are constantly rebuilding your deck between scenarios, its a convenient way to to remember your deck contents in case of a failed scenario and switching out characters

Artadius

Re: PACG

I just went ahead and shuffled in the Burnt Offerings cards with the rest of them from the start. I've got multiple characters at different points of completion on top of the fact that my group has yet to start as well.

I haven't noticed anything broken by doing so. The items might be incrementally a bit better than what is in the base set... but the monsters / barriers are probably incrementally a bit harder than those in the base set as well.

Also, @Neverfade re: Barriers/Obstacles

If you fail to pass the check to get past it, you USUALLY shuffle it back into the location deck (thematically, you're just trying a different path or something). It can/will come up again though. There are some exceptions to this though that specifically state on the card that it remains at the top of the location deck if undefeated.

Lot of barriers are one time cards though, no matter if you pass or fail it, they say they are banished. They are not really "barriers" but random events or discoveries.

Artadius

Lot of barriers are one time cards though, no matter if you pass or fail it, they say they are banished. They are not really "barriers" but random events or discoveries.

Well, Barrier cards are Bane cards... and the rules specifically say that if a Bane card isn't defeated, it is shuffled back into the location deck.

The only time you will send a Barrier card back to the box is when it is defeated OR if it is undefeated and it specifically states that you banish the card in its text.

So, stuff like the Locked Passage, Pit Trap, and Slashing Blade will get shuffled back into the deck until they're defeated.

Well, Barrier cards are Bane cards... and the rules specifically say that if a Bane card isn't defeated, it is shuffled back into the location deck.

The only time you will send a Barrier card back to the box is when it is defeated OR if it is undefeated and it specifically states that you banish the card in its text.

So, stuff like the Locked Passage, Pit Trap, and Slashing Blade will get shuffled back into the deck until they're defeated.

As I said, many banes say otherwise , a large number of barriers if undefeated specifically say that they may be banished or are banished. Ones that don't say follow standard bane rules of being shuffled back in the deck.

Gala

My local gamestore here in Germany finally got the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game..... Character Add-On Deck yesterday.

Now I only have to wait for the base set. NOOOOOOO!

daevv

My local gamestore here in Germany finally got the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game..... Character Add-On Deck yesterday.

Now I only have to wait for the base set. NOOOOOOO!

I still haven't received a shipping notice for my pre-order on chapters.ca. It's showing as soldout but I have a delivery date of Sept 12th. I pre-ordered it on August 2nd. :(

Anyone every buy from http://www.bookdepository.com/ ? They have free shipping worldwide and even though the prices are alittle higher then other places it's still cheaper total to Canada than the cheaper places plus their shipping charges.

Here's a question.

What board game has elicited the most swearing in your group? Can be from yourself or other players.

I'd have to say Carcassonne. I've heard many an F-bomb dropped in this game from the other room when it's been played.

Those two player games, man. They're brutal.

Tried Heroes of Metro City, was a kickstarted game by Game Salute so yea red flags. It's actually kind of neat game. Super hero deck builder with some elements from various games, winner being the player who defeats the arch nemesis character. So you kind of have a race to defeat the main villain while also it being semi coop like Legendary where everyone doesn't want the bad guys to win as it's game over for all otherwise. The randomization as with many deck builders can screw players, in this game more so than others since you all lose if you get a bad assortment of cards for your set up. But if you get a good card selection to play with the game can be pretty fun.

Apenheul

We've played Robinson Crusoe twice this evening; the first scenario. The first time we failed to meet the scenario criteria as we were learning how to play the game (I didn't think the manual was very clear so we had to watch a tutorial video), we didn't know what to prepare for. Our second attempt was successful as we had an idea of what was coming in terms of weather effects and useful items to craft so we were able to puzzle ourselves through the first scenario without much trouble, it only took us 10 turns. Tom Vasil mentioned how difficult the game was but honestly I thought it was pretty easy to determine
how much health we could afford to loose so we could just focus on gathering wood all the time
. All in all a pretty good game. I like how thematic the game really is and how everything that happens to you makes sense in the stranded-on-an-island theme.

Is Ghost Stories significantly more difficult than Robinson Crusoe?

What board game has elicited the most swearing in your group?
Space Alert, some knob will always screw something up..

Playing 5 player Pathfinder card game right now and it's hard as fuck?? Haha

We had so many locations to try to close and so many cards in each location that we ran out of blessings so fast it's crazy.

I wonder what we are doing wrong. Haha.

Playing 5 player Pathfinder card game right now and it's hard as fuck?? Haha

We had so many locations to try to close and so many cards in each location that we ran out of blessings so fast it's crazy.

I wonder what we are doing wrong. Haha.

When you encounter a henchmen and defeat them you can try and close the location right then.

Also with that many players you have to use cards to explore again on each turn and don't forget special abilities some allow you to check the location deck etc.

Of course there is always a chance to get bad pulls and bad rolls.

When you encounter a henchmen and defeat them you can try and close the location right then.

Also with that many players you have to use cards to explore again on each turn and don't forget special abilities some allow you to check the location deck etc.

Of course there is always a chance to get bad pulls and bad rolls.

A couple friends failed on trying to kill the henchman or killed them but failed the closing.

What cards let you check the whole deck? I only had cards to check the top card.

We pretty much just got slaughtered though. We only closed 3 decks out of 7, and killed the villain once before he ran away into the 4 other decks that still had a good chunk of cards left.

The first scenario shouldn't be this hard. Haha

Played the first two Black Fang scenarios last night and blew through them solo with Seelah the Paladin. She rocks!

Had a bit of trouble getting a Shadow (combat 13, but undefeated without Magic trait (player moves to a random location after) to stay dead because of the lack of the Magic trait, but I lucked out and scored the Inflict spell which allows a Divine die + 1d6 with the Magic trait and knocked that bitch out.

This game is so fucking great!

After utter defeat in Pathfinder ACG earlier, im going to sit down, watch some videos and play a solo match and see if I can do better, haha.

AMUSIX

Saturday's gaming:

8ovfo4R.jpg

Ended up being a rather long round...cycled the deck once. Plunder didn't come out until way late. The win could have even been stopped, someone didn't realize they were holding Avast! and could have undone the winning play.

V0M4LjA.jpg

Yet another amazing freaking round with this one. Won't give away which haunt we hit, but had a rather large house before everything started. Still, two heroes were trapped in the basement, one way off in one wing of the ground floor, and the fourth was by herself on the upper floor. Heroes ended up losing, which only solidifies my resolve that the heroes should, whenever possible, avoid splitting up. It's like people have never seen a horror movie.

yuYANJd.jpg

Probably my favorite round of this that we've played. Five bots, and, by the end, everyone was down to one life. One player picked up the mini-howitzer and killed two others with it, making it a rather aggressive game. The win was a matter of spaces (the person in second was only two squares away from the flag) so that helped a lot.

xwAtDU9.jpg

After the above games, the group of us went to a local game store that was doing the Magic Celebration event. Ended up being pretty fun. I only have about a month's experience with the game, but my wife is the real beginner. Overall, a good experience, and I resisted (again) buying the Pandemic expansion.

Next week I'm considering a game of Arkham+Black Goat+Innsmouth...not sure how the two expansions will work together, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom