• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hat_hair

Disagree. Like Bruno's similar game Citadels, Mascarade can start to drag at larger numbers. When you have over 5 IMO I would rather be playing the quicker Coup.

Mascarade doesn't drag nearly as much as Citadels at high player numbers. I had great fun playing it with 11 this weekend.
The problem Citadels has as the number of players increases is the downtime during character selection. Add into that the chance of being assassinated, and you could easily not do anything for about 10 minutes.

That said, Coup is a quicker game, and something I'm happier to play a few games of in a row. I think they're both fine, but I haven't played as much Mascarade yet.

Neverfade

Disagree. Like Bruno's similar game Citadels, Mascarade can start to drag at larger numbers. When you have over 5 IMO I would rather be playing the quicker Coup.

To each their own I guess. Player elimination kills coup from me right off the bat. We knocked out two games in an hour, completely reasonable. Plus that length gave the game enough breathing room to really open up with some great bluffing strategies that simply aren't possible in Coup.

Edit: like guy above said, this isn't nearly as long as the insufferable citadels.

joelseph

Won a crazy game of Guildhall over lunch.

Was within 4 of the win, guy to my right had a really crazy last turn and was threatening to win next turn needing a red farmer sitting at 19 points. Instead of assassinating a farmer out of his guild I killed a dancer from the player to my left, dug it off the top of discard with my first historian to close the dancer guild. I was then holding two completed guilds threatening to win next turn no matter what. The guy to my left assassinated a farmer, durdled a dancer and drew up. I guess the guy to my right with 19 had a terrible hand, first action he dumps the entire thing. Draws 6. Didn't draw a red or blue farmer. I win!

This took far longer than I thought, but here's the second half list of impressions I had for the games I played at GenCon this year:

Legacy: Gears of Time: (Purchased)
  • Gameplay: It's a time-manipulation game where players are trying to establish technologies in the past and claim credit for them in the present. Because there's more than one time-traveler, players will run into choices in whether to help other travelers establish their technologies (and get a cut of the credit) or to travel further back in time and invent the technologies first.
  • Impressions: It's a neat thinking game where players are trying to figure out how to balance getting complicated technologies established and how to help/hinder other players at the same time.
  • Recommendation: I like it enough to buy it, but I really need to play it with more than two players. With two players, the technologies we established weren't really all that complex (Combustion Engine = Fire + Wheel), but with more players, we could really go nuts with stuff like Space Flight, paranoia with the influence rule, and our limited number of actions per round wouldn't feel as restrictive.

Rampage: (Preordered)
  • Gameplay: It's a dexterity game where players actually play the characters from the video game, going around, smashing buildings, throwing cars, and eating people. It looks fun!
  • Impressions: This is what I thought Smash Up! was last year. Imaging my disappointment when I sat down at the AEG table and all I saw were cards. Anyways, it looks really fun (the line was too long to try it). You're stomping buildings with your dinosaur, throwing cards all over the place, and a nice game-balance is that you're penalized for game pieces that fly off the board. The only thing I don't like is that your dinosaurs can blow. Call me a germaphobe, but that mechanic can only lead to terrible things.
  • Recommendation: Wonderful for kids, fun for adults, sure-fire hit. Now, the game board I saw at Gen Con is a bit larger than life. The presenter said the actual game is only 2/3 the demo size and should fit on most tables.

Terra Mystica:
  • Gameplay: It's a very heavy game that involves territory control, magic management, exclusive actions (action spaces only open to those who get there first), and a diversity of victory point scoring options.
  • Impressions: Seemed awesome from the Shut Up! Sit Down! video review, so I got a bunch of friends to sit down with me at Z-Man's booth to learn how to play. No one at Z-Man really knew how to play. The person who guided us seemed less than enthused, forgot a lot of things, and our game ran really ragged. If I hadn't found another heavy game (Archipelago), I might have still overcome this experience and bought it, but really, the looks on all four of our faces sealed the deal.
  • Recommendation: There are quite a few of the long, complex, and multiple-paths-to-victory euro games (Eclipse, Archiplago, etc.). I like their themes better, so I can't recommend this game. I could see potential, but it's no longer on my watch list.

Libertalia: (Purchased)
  • Gameplay: It's a light, role-playing game where you play the part of pirates looting a treasure ship. You choose roles (like Citadels) and take actions based on the role special ability and loot based in the order based on the role's value.
  • Impressions: Very fun. Unlike a lot of role-playing card games, all players know what possible roles are on each turn, but have to remember and guess based on this. All players select from an identical pool of roles in each of their hands and will have their turn order based on which role is selected. Turn order matters because the loot value ranges from good to very bad. Role selection matters because they range from acquiring alternate loot to killing other characters.
  • Recommendation: I like it a lot as a quick (1 hour) game of strategy amongst schemers. Easy to teach, fun to play, and thematically very nice. This was bought by a friend and we look forward to playing it.

Catan Dice:
  • Gameplay: It's Settlers with Dice!
  • Impressions: Cut-n-paste from my Cinque Terre review: It's like making a Settlers of Catan clone where all players start in the exact same spot, you're forced to build in predefined places in a predefined order, and you've taken away all of the players and made it a solo-game.
  • Recommendation: We needed Ore, so we played it. The ore lead to the purchase of Shear Panic and Automobile: Wheels to Wealth, so I don't completely regret the lost time.

Shear Panic: (Purchased)
  • Gameplay: A very light unit placement game that plays very much like a puzzle, but is multiplayer. You control sheep and over the course of the game, you're trying to manuever your sheep to where they need to be based on the phase of the game.
  • Impressions: It's very fun and is another nice icebreaker/in-between game. The pieces are surprisingly well-detailed and the puzzle aspect is very fun. The dice adds a nice element of randomness to an otherwise fixed game system.
  • Recommendation: I would have gotten it if my friend hadn't already.

Automobile: Wheels to Wealth: (Purchased)
  • Gameplay: It's an economic game where you're playing an automobile tycoon, trying to be the most successful during the dawn of the automobile market. Each turn, you're making decisions about what role you will play (represented by six different iconic pioneers), building factories, producing cars, marketing/advertising, etc. to try to get ahead.
  • Impressions: It's a very nicely themed game. It was very interesting during our demo (but since we only played half the game, we couldn't get a sense of who was ahead as our strategies hadn't panned out yet).
  • Recommendation: I liked it enough to buy it an look forward to playing a full game.

Copycat: (Purchased)
  • Gameplay: This is a very odd experiment that turned out well. Friedemann Friese decided to make a game that took the mechanics he liked from a bunch of other games and mixed them together. This game has a mix of deck-building, worker placement, and rotating market. It is only up to 11 rounds (other game-ending conditions exist) and plays quick once people get the hang of it.
  • Impressions: We had a good time playing it, though it wasn't too obvious who was going to win until the 10th round of our game. Two players played the economic game and I played the straight-victory-points game. I peetered out and the player who had the best idea won. I'm very sure out next game will go far differently than this first one.
  • Recommendation: It's a fun multi-faceted game, but I need more playthroughs to get a true feel for it. At the end of our game, we "thought" we figured out the best play strategy, but that's all theory-crafting until someone proves it. Also, I find this article funny:

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/16052/designer-diary-copycat-or-how-to-design-a-broken-g. This was bought by two of my friends.

Legacy: Gears of Time and Copycat are very good. I've only played Legacy: Gears of Time with four players and it can get vicious. The "event" cards (or whatever they are called) seem very powerful and can really set people back. The expansion is supposed to fix that aspect of the game and I might pick up a copy when it comes out.

Copycat plays fantastically with 2 players and is probably my favorite way to play. With more players it can get a bit long and drag but with two it's very quick and snappy. My wife and I can knock out a game in 60 minutes.

I thought Sheer Panic was so-so. It's a pretty game but it's a bit too puzzley for me.

fenners

Shear Panic is not light... It /looks/ like it is, but it's really a nasty abstract that's hard to explain & play well because of the damn playing aid being so horrible... It goes on too long for what it is. I adore the pieces but the game is so-so at best. Took me /ages/ to trade it away too.

Their games are so hit & miss. Always look gorgeous, but not always as well developed. Antics is fantastically tough though.

Yeah, Shear Panic can definitely suffer from analysis paralysis. Also, why didn't they include a fence in the box?

The randomness of the four phases seems a bit off-putting to new players. The dice, though it mixes up the various game instances, could also piss away any planning you had.

I played a game of Pathfinder: ACG with a dude at work and we lost the scenario by 1 turn. The villain would have shown up if we had one more turn. Thinking back we missed a check by 1 to close a location that would have saved the scenario because we blew 5 more turns closing that stupid bridge. Also I received an item from a chest that allowed me to recharge a card from discard into my draw pile keeping me alive for that last turn.

What could have been!

It was amazingly fun.

I really love this game.

Artadius

Yeah, Pathfinder ACG is really good. Its not going to be everyone's cup of tea... but I can see it having no issue with longevity. Between solo plays and group plays and lots of different classes to choose from and loads of different upgrades to find during your adventures... it'll be a while before it gets old.

I haven't been this pleased with a solo play experience since Mage Knight. At least this game can still be played in less than an hour or two at the most when my friends play with me unlike Mage Knight.

Keasar

Terra Mystica:
  • Gameplay: It's a very heavy game that involves territory control, magic management, exclusive actions (action spaces only open to those who get there first), and a diversity of victory point scoring options.
  • Impressions: Seemed awesome from the Shut Up! Sit Down! video review, so I got a bunch of friends to sit down with me at Z-Man's booth to learn how to play. No one at Z-Man really knew how to play. The person who guided us seemed less than enthused, forgot a lot of things, and our game ran really ragged. If I hadn't found another heavy game (Archipelago), I might have still overcome this experience and bought it, but really, the looks on all four of our faces sealed the deal.
  • Recommendation: There are quite a few of the long, complex, and multiple-paths-to-victory euro games (Eclipse, Archiplago, etc.). I like their themes better, so I can't recommend this game. I could see potential, but it's no longer on my watch list.

Me and my friend had a absolutely fantastic time with this game after I bought it watching the Shut Up & Sit Down review. Sounds like it was the Gencon worker's fault on this one. It is a fantastic game with so much to think about and each round is a complex puzzle on how to use your available resources too most effect, and it is just so lovely designed.

Hope you might consider giving this game another chance under better circumstances.

joelseph

Echoing the gencon TM experience. Old dude running the demo was more concerned with Bruges and did a poor job of guiding us through our demo.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Stooge, you gonna be in Essen this year?

Probably not. We definitely won't have a booth (I own European rights to two titles. One is sold out and the other won't make Essen). We were originally going to go, but it looks like I'm going to be in meetings following New York Comic Con all week, which bleeds into Essen.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
My shop didn't have Yedo yet, but I picked up Pathfinder ACG. The wife and I dig it hard. The rules could be more clear, but we dig it.

Almost grabbed Bioshock Infinite too,, bit it's expensive.

tm24

Ok, so im reading all these posts about Pathfinder, but im confused. Is this basically like Descent in that you make one continuous adventure hopefully with the same group, but the game is based around cards?

Ok, so im reading all these posts about Pathfinder, but im confused. Is this basically like Descent in that you make one continuous adventure hopefully with the same group, but the game is based around cards?

In a way yea. Uses cards to essentially create random encounters and then you use dice rolls to take on tasks and combat. You can earn cards as loot and between scenarios customize your deck with newly acquired cards.

tm24

In a way yea. Uses cards to essentially create random encounters and then you use dice rolls to take on tasks and combat. You can earn cards as loot and between scenarios customize your deck with newly acquired cards.

This sounds freaking awesome. Is it as dependent as having the same group of players playing like Descent or can i just play with whoever?

For you guys that play X-Wing miniatures. Would there be enough fun or play-ability if I just start off by buying 1 Core Set and 1 of each of the X-Wing and Tie Fighter expansions?

This sounds freaking awesome. Is it as dependent as having the same group of players playing like Descent or can i just play with whoever?

You can always play with whoever but the game allows you to keep you character and items you have found on adventures in an adventure path (think campaign) I've played a ton of 1 off games with friends and I am also in the middle of the campaign that starts in the set. If anything happens to my fighter I am going to cry.

This is easily game of the year for me and probably one of my favorite games of all time. I have a tendency to get a little hyperbolic but this game checks every box for me personally.

Take my money Paizo!

For you guys that play X-Wing miniatures. Would there be enough fun or play-ability if I just start off by buying 1 Core Set and 1 of each of the X-Wing and Tie Fighter expansions?

1 core set will get old very very quick, but once you start playing, you will almost surely want more than just one of every ship. You will see how certain ships work and you will suddenly be buying entire wings of each ship. I personally get 3 of each fighter and one of each big ship, but that's just me and I like the idea of owning complete fighter wings. Some folks out there go for even more for the optional flexibility.

Not really, having a player drop out for a session or even die is not going to have a huge impact on the game. Players do get better through a adventure campaign, but it's fairly minor since its often a few upgraded cards or an ability will have a +1 on it. Every 2 months a new adventure pack will release that increases the difficulty of the story, by the end of it..... yea it will make more of a difference and having a built up group will be helpful. But death will happen, and you kind of depend on your group mates to make up the slack. If a group gets deep into an adventure cycle and they essentially wipe, I can see it being almost game over if the difficulty spikes as much as they seem to indicate.

mercviper

Got love letter and that's been a huge hit so far. Game can get pretty tense for how light it is lol. Also got 2 different groups to play eclipse IRL now so that's gonna get me my eclipse fix in the foreseeable future :D

TechSamurai

Neo Member
So excited, my Netrunner core arrives on tomorrow!

August was a fun board game acquisition month:

Formula D
The Resistance: Avalon
7 Wonders
Galaxy Trucker
King of Tokyo
Forbidden Desert
Star Wars X-Wing

....I might need to join a support group...

I really want to pick up that Star Wars X-Wing minis game but man my wallet.

can it play 2 players out of the box? I realize its not ideal but a game can be played?

daevv

Guess I should of pre-ordered the 5-6 player expansion pack for Pathfinder card game too. It's now sold out on chapters.ca and also gone up in price to the regular $20. It was just under $15 before.

Expected delivery date for the actual game is Sept 12th. :(

Guess I should of pre-ordered the 5-6 player expansion pack for Pathfinder card game too. It's now sold out on chapters.ca and also gone up in price to the regular $20. It was just under $15 before.

Expected delivery date for the actual game is Sept 12th. :(

I grabbed one at my FLGS a few days ago for retail. It was the last one in the valley. This thing seems to be selling really well.

I am almost to the end of the AP in the box and my Paladin has come a long ways. I can't wait for The Skinsaw Murders.

I wish you could acquire gold from the adventures to spend at an item shop.

anyways I am rambling. I love this game.

You can play, but it's really more of just a demo for the game with very limited options.

thanks! would 2 core sets be decent?

I grabbed one at my FLGS a few days ago for retail. It was the last one in the valley. This thing seems to be selling really well.

I am almost to the end of the AP in the box and my Paladin has come a long ways. I can't wait for The Skinsaw Murders.

I wish you could acquire gold from the adventures to spend at an item shop.

anyways I am rambling. I love this game.

thanks! would 2 core sets be decent?

Really for a full fun game you will want 100 points, and that can be 3-6 ships depending on your builds. A big part of the game is the customization, the starter sets really are not worth it outside of getting the dice and all the templates to play. X-Wing's and Tie's you also buy individually outside the starter come with different cards as well than whats in the starter.

It's a miniature game, not a board game, I really don't recommend it to anyone unless they understand that and that it's going to require more of an investment. It's not really something you just buy a set amount of and be 2 player ready. Players generally will need to buy what they want to play with and for 2 players or more you will need to buy a big collection of figs if your the one essentially buying for all to play.

Apenheul

Picked up Robinson Crusoe and managed to resist buying Mice & Mystics and Memoir 44 today. I've still got Daybreak to play, 3 scenarios of Gears of War to finish, two decks to try out with Agricola and I want to give Race for the Galaxy another chance (this game somehow got ignored after the first time I've played it). I really need to slow down on board game purchases as on average I play each game five or six times before moving to the next one.

X-wing and Escape: the Curse of the Temple have been ordered. Thought about Jamaica but thought I would wait and watch some more reviews of it.

Picked up Robinson Crusoe and managed to resist buying Mice & Mystics and Memoir 44 today. I've still got Daybreak to play, 3 scenarios of Gears of War to finish, two decks to try out with Agricola and I want to give Race for the Galaxy another chance (this game somehow got ignored after the first time I've played it). I really need to slow down on board game purchases as on average I play each game five or six times before moving to the next one.

I want Robinson Crusoe so bad...I guess I'll wait for the reprint.

AMUSIX

So, I've always enjoyed board games, but lately been getting into them a lot more. I suppose setting up a Saturday game day sort of boosted things...but also been reading a hell of a lot more BGG, a friend got me into actually playing Magic on Fridays, and I've been watching SU&SD, TableTop, and the Dice Tower. For no real reason, thought I'd post some observations:

1) I've added a lot of awesome games to our selection...Resistance, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Pirate Flux, Pandemic+On the Brink, Formula D, and a number of others that I'm forgetting right now. Find that each game caters to a different group, which is nice, as it's rarely 'what should we play' and more 'this game is perfect for right now' (if that makes any sense).

2) Classic games (like Risk, Clue, Scrabble, 221B Baker St, Sorry, Trivial Pursuit) are still awesome. Again, these so cater to different groups, though I find most of them to cross groups than the newer class (maybe because of the general familiarity with them).

which brings me to my third point

3) There is a rather loud contingency of board gamers who just suck. They come off as elitist (using terms like "ameritrash") and hypocritical (scoffing at any game that uses roll-to-move while accepting rolls for combat or skill). These were the guys that kept me from getting more heavily into current board games for so long.

Overall, it's pretty cool to be playing more games. Arkham still gets pulled out no more frequently than twice a year (and only with the proper group) and there are games that I so want, but not sure if I could find the right group to enjoy them (I'm looking at you, Tales of the Arabian Nights). Still, I always enjoy pulling out Ticket to Ride to introduce yet another person to non-classic game....as much as I enjoy pulling out Sorry to shut someone up when they say that the classics don't hold any strategy and fun.

Oh, also, a small tip on those who hate roll-to-move, if the game uses 2D6 consider a swap out for 3D4. It makes the bell curve far smoother, with fewer rolls at the extremities. We did this for Clue (Master Detective Edition, bitches) and added a 'second roll on triples' rule. This meant that the minimum roll was a 4, and that the bell curve was skewed higher (peaking at 9 or 10 instead of 7). Of course, not all games can use this swap.

Finally, maybe someone here can help me with a question my friends and I ran into in Betrayal. Posted this over at BGG, but haven't gotten a response yet.

So just got the game, and have had a blast with it today. On our first playthrough, we hit Haunt 26, which is the Pied Piper haunt.

At this point, rats appeared everywhere in the house (I believe every single rat token was used). My character was the only one upstairs, in a room along with two rats. Since I really wasn't a fighter (the priest, but was holding the angel feather) I decided to run for it, and got out to the upstairs landing, where there were no rats.

So play goes on until it hits the traitor's turn. She moved her character, then the monster turn happens...here's where we ran into some trouble.

At this point, my character is in a ratless room. However, there are five rats in the four rooms connected to it, and two more just one room beyond. Now, rats can attack as a group, so here's our question on how we are supposed to play this:

Option A:
Rat1 moves into the landing and attacks. Combat is fully resolved with Rat1.
Rat2 moves into the landing and attacks. Combat is fully resolved with Rat2.
Repeat steps for Rats 3-7.

Option B:
Rat1 moves into the landing and attacks. Combat is fully resolved with Rat1.
Rat2 moves into the landing and attacks as a swarm along with Rat1 (if Rat1 is not already dead). Combat is fully resolved with Rat2+Rat1.
Rat3 moves into the landing and attacks as a swarm along with Rat1 and Rat2. Combat is fully resolved with Rat3+Rat2+Rat1.
Repeat steps for Rats 4-7, building the swarm each time.

Option C:
Rats1-7 all move into the landing and then attack as a single 7-rat swarm.

Option A seems like it'd be, by far, the weakest for the traitor, as each rat is fighting on its own, and can be killed off individually. It also seems to make the rat's ability to swarm pointless.

Option B gives the hero a slight chance to kill off an early rat or two, but once the swarm happens, no rats can die, leading to the hero taking repeated poundings, and almost certain death.

Option C is a single massive attack, again creating almost certain death for the hero, but it also means that the hero has to survive that single attack in order to get through the ordeal.

If it is Option A, how then does the swarm ability come into play? (Rats are able to combine to attack as a single entity, increasing their might up to a maximum of 8, AND they can't be killed while in a swarm).

Thank you all for any help...

Oh, and if you DON'T own Betrayal yet, go get it.

Summoner Wars is cheap though. Really you only need the faction decks as the reinforcement packs are for deck building which you will probably only do if your getting competitive with opponents.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah I bought the Master Set to get the board and (hopefully) a selection of factions to play with. 6 Factions + a nice play board + tokens seems pretty good for $35, as opposed to $10 per set. I'm looking at it more as a casual thing for board game nights (it seems pretty easy to learn), not really for deck building. I love that it's basically HoMM with cards.

I got to play the Pathfinder card game at PAX over the weekend, what an awesome game.

It ended up leading to me and my buddy playing the real Pathfinder game, which was great fun, the 2 people we played with great, they were really good at explaining everything (better than the DM, haha) and one of them was playing as the little Druid with the pet cat, and she was just destroying everything in our path, it was hilarious to watch, haha.

It also lead us to go down and play D&D Next, which was insane, all 4 of the other dudes with us were a massive amount of fun to play with, and the lady running our table was fantastic. We ended up being WAYYYY slower than everyone else around us, it was pretty funny, we kept trying to do really crazy and stupid things and chatting everything out between us, it was an awesome experience for me and my friend whos only DnD experience was pathfinder that was had played the night before, haha.

In the end, it all just made me have to buy the Pathfinder Card game, and 4 more sets of dice, haha. I cant wait to play this game with my friends.

ParityBit

So ... question about the pathfinder card game...

What should I buy? I was going to order from Amazon since I just found out about this. Multiple starter sets? Or which expansions, etc.

Danka!

Draxal

So ... question about the pathfinder card game...

What should I buy? I was going to order from Amazon since I just found out about this. Multiple starter sets? Or which expansions, etc.

Danka!

Only need one starter set for pathfinder, you don't want to ever mix in a second one. So first starter set + the first expansion is all that's available right now. (not including promo cards).

ParityBit

Only need one starter set for pathfinder, you don't want to ever mix in a second one. So first starter set + the first expansion is all that's available right now. (not including promo cards).

Thanks! All bought :) The other two are in my wishlist until they get closer to release.

fenners

Bah. My planned room-mate for BGG.Con went & agreed to share with another buddy. So I'm without a room for BGG.Con onsite at this time as the room block is effectively sold out.

Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom