• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

They are selling alot of Pathfinder:ACG! Makes me happy.

I've posted a ton in here before but I adore this game. Enjoy everyone.

Yeah, its selling well. I just don't like the promo stuff for subscriptions (and I don't like kicstarter only promos). But that's just a petpeeve of mine.

hat_hair

The Amazon sale on Lords of Waterdeep is tempting...

I really like Lords of Waterdeep. It's fun and easy to play, so people that don't like complex games can enjoy it. The theme is great. It isn't so excessively long that it takes up your whole evening, but it's still a good solid length.

The only flaw I had with it, until the expansion came out, was that it almost felt too tightly designed. The expansion adds some crazy swingy stuff that makes it a bit more unpredictable and exciting.

ultron87

I've fallen to the hype and loaded up a CoolStuffInc order headlined by Pathfinder ACG and the character pack thing. Also got Letters from Whitechapel, some Magic stuff and a Tie Interceptor for X-wing.

ParityBit

The advantage for ordering directly from Paizo, minus the small discount which other online retailers will likely beat, is getting promo cards. That's the real reason people are doing it.

Anyone out there doing this? They come out every two months? I am debating it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
What happened? Is it worth the hassle for the promo cards (whatever they might be)?

Their site kind of sucks.

It kept rejecting my CC, but then his me for multiple authorizations, and it won't let me change the shipping address to be different than the billing address.

They sorted it out pretty quick though.

I think it's probably worth it. I mean, promos might be hard to come by otherwise and for a game with deck-building the more the merrier. I figure my cost from them might be the same as my FLGS plus I get promos.

ParityBit

Their site kind of sucks.

It kept rejecting my CC, but then his me for multiple authorizations, and it won't let me change the shipping address to be different than the billing address.

They sorted it out pretty quick though.

I think it's probably worth it. I mean, promos might be hard to come by otherwise and for a game with deck-building the more the merrier. I figure my cost from them might be the same as my FLGS plus I get promos.

Well ..... I guess I will give it a try and see what happens. *crosses my fingers* I haven't even tried the game yet! I am such a sucker.

StoOgE

Well ..... I guess I will give it a try and see what happens. *crosses my fingers* I haven't even tried the game yet! I am such a sucker.

The game is fantastic. If you've ever thought to yourself:

"Hey, I like the idea of a P&P RPG, but the realities of actually playing one mean that it will never happen"

This is the game for you.

"Hey, I like the idea of a P&P RPG, but the realities of actually playing one mean that it will never happen"

Exactly this! I have my group playing Pathfinder:ACG and they all love it and they love the narratives that come from our games. I brought up maybe Star Wars: Edge Of The Empire or Dnd and one of them said. "If they made a Star Wars Pathfinder Card game I would totally play, Im not really into role playing though"

:(

This is my biggest problem with Tales of Arabian Nights. Most of my friends are musicians. You think they'd be into the whole creativity thing.

whoa the guy that said that is also a musician.

Exactly this! I have my group playing Pathfinder:ACG and they all love and they love the narratives that come from our games. I brought up maybe Star Wars: Edge Of The Empire or Dnd and one of them said. "If they made a Star Wars Pathfinder Card game I would totally play, Im not really into role playing though"

:(

This is my biggest problem with Tales of Arabian Nights. Most of my friends are musicians. You think they'd be into the whole creativity thing.

ParityBit

So I finally tried to add this to my cart and subscribe today. When I did, it automatically added the base game and character expansion (which I have)

Any way to get JUST the subscription?

daevv

Anyone pre-order the Pathfinder game through chapters.ca and not have it ship yet? If so send them an email asking about the delay. It wasn't until I sent the email did I get a shipping notice. A friend who was in the same boat emailed them a day after me and got a shipping email the same day. Weird I know. Delivery date still shows as the 12th, which won't happen but at least it's shipped. :)

ParityBit

OK I emailed support about the promo cards, namely if I will get the first one if I start now with pack #2.

For those of you who play the Star Wars miniature game ... How many ships do you buy for each type? Right now I have one of each, plus an extra X-wing and Tie fighter from the expansion packs (only one starter kit).

I have seen a lot of options for storage, what do you use? I am sick of all the little boxes and bags and all that hubbub!

Karkador

Banned
Picked up Suburbia last night:

PQIPOsE.jpg

It's quite cool! I love city-building and this game captures the SimCity feel while simplifying its balancing act of income/population. I've only played it solo so far, but I can't wait to take it to a board game night.

I've decided that Manhattan Project isn't grabbing me and needs to go. But I really like worker placement as a mechanic and want something more than just Agricola.

Dungeon Pets or Dungeon Lords? I already really adore the theme to Dungeon Pets.

Thought about T'zolkin but the Dungeon series is drawing my interest more.

daevv

Finally got my Kickstarter copy of Dungeon Roll today. It left the US, went to Sweden, then back to Canada and then to me. Fun little game that is good to play solo.

I bought the Axis and Allies 1984 classic edition and the 1992 edition of Supremacy of a guy on Kijiji yesterday too. Both games were complete and in good condition. I was surprised at the bigger size of the A&A box as I'm used to the current ediions I have.

Karkador

Banned
If you like Worker Placement, you should check out Lords of Waterdeep. I played it the other night and had a good time with it. It uses the D&D license, but you're sending people to recruit hero cubes to complete your quest cards, and there's also town building and playing intrigue cards to vary things up.

I've decided that Manhattan Project isn't grabbing me and needs to go. But I really like worker placement as a mechanic and want something more than just Agricola.

Dungeon Pets or Dungeon Lords? I already really adore the theme to Dungeon Pets.

Lords of Waterdeep?

edit: haha the post right above mine! awesome.

I own all three, Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Pets, and T'zolkin.
Dungeon Lords - Really strong in theme but it can be a pain to teach. The game takes place over two years with each year has a planning phase and then a combat phase. Each phase play completely differently and you probably could create a game with either phase, that's why it's a challenge to teach. Another downside is, it's really a four player only game. If you regularly play with less I would pass. Besides those two problems, I love it. Really fun to play and challenging.

Dungeon Petz - It's a sort of refined Dungeon Lords. Like Dungeon Lords there are really two phases to this game that play completely differently. The difference is I feel there is more connection to the two phases and thus easier to teach. It plays well with less than 4 so that's a plus. I personally prefer Dungeon Lords to Dungeon Petz but Petz is still a really good game. The challenge is there but it is more forgiving than Lords.

T'zolkin - Out of the three this is my favorite. The gear mechanic is a neat one and it requires you to think multiple turns ahead. The problem is because of this new players will feel lost and feel like the game is playing them. However, once you get it, it really clicks and you feel like a genius when things go your way.

The store where I got the Pathfinder game had only gotten in 6 copies of the base game and even less add on packs. Did manage to get a spare promo card they had. I didn't know about the subscription though...

What are you you going to do with Manhattan project?

Rayven

aka surume
Got Glory to Rome Black Box last week. It's purty. Fun, but tough to teach.

There's a bunch of order of operations nuance which tripped us up repeatedly. Especially Legionary and thinking with free client actions that match the lead role.

What are you you going to do with Manhattan project?

Sell it and the expansion together. The good thing about board games, as opposed to video games, is that even after a while, it's easy to get a good portion of the money back.

It's got a wonderful theme, and has some great worker placement mechanics, but it's not a big hit in our group.

ultron87

Played through a solo two character game of Pathfinder ACG a little earlier this evening. Seems pretty fun. Will need to figure out how to introduce it to my group.

I find it kind of weird that I can have two characters in the same location but if the thing they encounter just has a single skill check, the active character is forced to do it even if there is a character far more suited to the check or combat standing right next to them. That really hurts the flavor of being in a party. But I guess it makes sense from a game play perspective since otherwise you'd just roll around from location to location with everyone in a big super party.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Bought the Pathfinder ACG as well. Haven't had a chance to play yet.

After reading the rules and reading up on how the game is going to expand I'm already super concerned about card management, though. I had intended to run a campaign with her and with my friends at work, which doesn't seem like a crazy, outlandish, edge-case scenario. But it sounds like it'll be almost impossible without a stupid amount of card shuffling :/

You start by shuffling cards from AP1 (and soon AP2) into your library as you reach that point in the story. But to play with a different group you'd need to strip them back out to avoid hitting power loot (or more importantly enemies) before you're supposed to.

This will become doubly confusing once you start REMOVING cards from the library when AP3 comes out. Have fun figuring out what should be in your card pool for your friend group that's on AP4 vs. your wife group, which is on AP2.

It's unreasonable to expect anyone to buy a separate box for each group they have running.

I appreciate that the game is pretty elegantly designed and maybe this is the best the designers could do to keep a feeling of the game "escalating," but it seems like something else should have been possible. Maybe each adventure could have drawn from specific base game cards + the new cards in its adventure pack, so when you end the scenario you could easily sort them back out to store or something

fenners

Visited the new "boardgame bar" here in Austin last night, Emerald Tavern. It's a nice idea, a bar with large tables for open gaming etc. Unfortunately it seems more like an average game shop with tables & a good selection of beer at this point. It's a nice idea, but they'll have to decide quite what they want to be - if /I/ was them, I'd be aiming to the bar with games instead & aim to make my profit off beer/food, not a small selection of games.

It's certainly been busy this week, apparently. Hopefully they find their niche - Austin has a large amount of gamers for sure but a good solid number of stores to go with them too.

Played through a solo two character game of Pathfinder ACG a little earlier this evening. Seems pretty fun. Will need to figure out how to introduce it to my group.

I find it kind of weird that I can have two characters in the same location but if the thing they encounter just has a single skill check, the active character is forced to do it even if there is a character far more suited to the check or combat standing right next to them. That really hurts the flavor of being in a party. But I guess it makes sense from a game play perspective since otherwise you'd just roll around from location to location with everyone in a big super party.

Well it doesn't really work that way in pnp games either when it's your turn its your turn and the party kind of watches. It would make sense if you encounter a creature, you fought first then everyone at that location had to also If you didn't defeat it. Not sure how that would work with the blessing timer though.

Apenheul

It's been a while since I've played Agricola but earlier today we had some time to kill before a soccer match so I brought it to the table and together with 2 friends I've played the I-deck for the first time and I got tied for first place with 39 points. Can't wait to try the K-deck too some time as strategies with the E-deck started to get predictable with my group. Can you also just mix these decks?

Which scenario is it?

Blackfang's with 6 players. The extra locations the more players add really ramp up the difficulty for that scenario, and the deep dungeon kept getting some of the toughest monsters randomly put into it so they just got stronger. We kicked the scenarios butt on our last try but then got stuck with Blackfang cornered in the Dungeon and essentially near the bottom. The timer kept causing us to lose the scenario, no one ever died :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's been a while since I've played Agricola but earlier today we had some time to kill before a soccer match so I brought it to the table and together with 2 friends I've played the I-deck for the first time and I got tied for first place with 39 points. Can't wait to try the K-deck too some time as strategies with the E-deck started to get predictable with my group. Can you also just mix these decks?

I think most people mix them, but it does dilute the I-Deck quite a bit. Personally I like to pick one core deck and then splash in a mini-deck like one of the country decks, World Championship, or something (no joke decks like X-Deck though).

Just played xwing and freaking loved it! Is there any word on them reprinting the wave 1 ships?? Xwings, tie fighters everything is gone and selling for alot on classifieds.

Fantasy flight would be crazy to not reprint all of their ships. They want to keep growing the game. I'm just surprised there hasn't been a steady supply of x wings and tie fighters.

Just played xwing and freaking loved it! Is there any word on them reprinting the wave 1 ships?? Xwings, tie fighters everything is gone and selling for alot on classifieds.

They have been reprinted several times already, they will put out more. They were out of Y Wings for a while too since it was one of the slower sellers and didn't get reprinted last time, it at Benson they said they were ready and com in soon around wave 3. Most local places around me still have a bunch of the wave 1 stuff.

Apenheul

I think most people mix them, but it does dilute the I-Deck quite a bit. Personally I like to pick one core deck and then splash in a mini-deck like one of the country decks, World Championship, or something (no joke decks like X-Deck though).
I didn't know country decks existed, for now I'm fine with the base game but it's good to know that I can spice it up if needed.

Rayven

aka surume
Played a 5 player game of Yedo last night. Really is a heavy Lords of Waterdeep. By heavy I mean beefy quests and extra mechanics like auction phase, patrols which make action spaces risky, player mat with personal action spaces, trading. Oh, and Stone Age style - take turns placing workers, then get resources later when you take turns removing them.

It was smooth after a couple rocky learning rounds and I liked it overall. Would play again, but 5 players took us almost 4 hours o_O Also not sure how it plays with 2 b/c of auction. Might be different rule set.

And man, that board is so loud. Made learning even tougher b/c it's difficult to see anything in that mess.

AcridMeat

Banned
That feeling when you like board games but you don't have no one to play them with... :(
Had this feeling for so long. Yesterday I found out my friend was up for playing a game, so we went to a local store and I picked up Dominion: Intrigue (they didn't have just the base game). We had a ton of fun! Neither of us had played it before.

Now I already want to get another game, the x-wing miniatures game.

Find a card shop that does board game nights, that's what I did!

StoOgE

Played a 5 player game of Yedo last night. Really is a heavy Lords of Waterdeep. By heavy I mean beefy quests and extra mechanics like auction phase, patrols which make action spaces risky, player mat with personal action spaces, trading. Oh, and Stone Age style - take turns placing workers, then get resources later when you take turns removing them.

It was smooth after a couple rocky learning rounds and I liked it overall. Would play again, but 5 players took us almost 4 hours o_O Also not sure how it plays with 2 b/c of auction. Might be different rule set.

And man, that board is so loud. Made learning even tougher b/c it's difficult to see anything in that mess.

The playing time should drop considerably on subsequent plays. We're at about 2-2.5 hours for a 5 player game.

Still, by far the longest game we've put out. I think all of our other games are 1.5 hour at the longest.

Rayven

aka surume
The playing time should drop considerably on subsequent plays. We're at about 2-2.5 hours for a 5 player game.

Still, by far the longest game we've put out. I think all of our other games are 1.5 hour at the longest.

I'm sure it will. Auction phase really held up the early rounds, but the last couple were significantly quicker. Very fun game overall and I prefer it to LoW.

I'm really excited by the prospect of Golem Arcana, but I think they really mismanaged this kickstarter campaign. I'm really hopeful that it gets funded, but stretch goals look impossible.

Anyone have any idea how to make Firefly game sessions a little faster? Very thematic and fun, but it's horrifically slow to play. That first mission (the intro mission recommended by the book) is ridiculous in the money requirements for it.

Two plays so far:
  1. Never finished this game. Ran 2+ hours and we had to stop because the store was closing.
  2. We finished it, but I think it took 3+ hours. It was definitely the money ($5k or $7k needed when we were broke most of the time) that was the barrier. Once the first goal was completed, it was a race to finish the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom