• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParityBit

The game is fantastic. If you've ever thought to yourself:

"Hey, I like the idea of a P&P RPG, but the realities of actually playing one mean that it will never happen"

This is the game for you.

I have been emailing Paizo, it appears that the only way to get the earlier promo cards is to know someone, or to order the base came or character add-on.

Looks like if I sign up, I will have to either get the character pack, or forgo the promo cards already released.

*le' sigh*

Anyone have any idea how to make Firefly game sessions a little faster? Very thematic and fun, but it's horrifically slow to play. That first mission (the intro mission recommended by the book) is ridiculous in the money requirements for it.

Two plays so far:
  1. Never finished this game. Ran 2+ hours and we had to stop because the store was closing.
  2. We finished it, but I think it took 3+ hours. It was definitely the money ($5k or $7k needed when we were broke most of the time) that was the barrier. Once the first goal was completed, it was a race to finish the other two.
From what I understand, the get X amount of money scenarios are faster than the "intro" scenario. Also time goes down a bit when people are familiar with the game. Other than that, not much. It's just a long game and the two hours printed on the box is really stretching it.

joelseph

iuIaErV.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The pathfinder box has so much empty space in each compartment.... I'm not supposed to take out the cards from the expansion boxes and add them to the general storage compartment, or am I?

daevv

Edit: Question on the game I've been on google, BGG, and paizo.com but haven't found this example. I'm in the last of the 3 locations as the other 2 are closed. I encounter the main Villain right away and defeat him. Do I win outright or just close the location and then fight him next turn for the win?

One of my Pathfinder cards is cut wrong and totally off center. Anyone else get one like that? I'm glad it's one of the blessings that you get a few of.

Xater

Read that the German publisher of everything Pathfinder is not bringing the card game over. Their reasoning is the box size and that they have to delay all the releases (like that's something new), I call bullshit.

ParityBit

The game is fantastic. If you've ever thought to yourself:

"Hey, I like the idea of a P&P RPG, but the realities of actually playing one mean that it will never happen"

This is the game for you.

So I still have not pulled the trigger on this subscription. I have a couple of more questions.

When does it get shipped/delivered? If I order though Amazon and using Prime I should get it release day I believe. Right now its for $15.40 to get adventure set 2.

Xater

Have you guys seen that Small World 2 is out on iOS? They made an amazing app I think. I especially like how they show the description of all the powers when you have to pick a race. it also is pretty much fully featured when it comes to local and online play. Basically the same high quality game that Ticket to Ride is on iOS.

So I still have not pulled the trigger on this subscription. I have a couple of more questions.

When does it get shipped/delivered? If I order though Amazon and using Prime I should get it release day I believe. Right now its for $15.40 to get adventure set 2.

You shouldn't get hanged up on the promos, they are only one card each release, and some won't be usable with the adventure paths like the location cards, which are only meant to be used for if your going to make your own scenarios.

I wish I could trick my wife into trying Pathfinder.

On the continuum of Lords of Waterdeep --> Mage Knight -- > Descent --> D&D, where does it fall on the "she will consider this role playing" scale?

Similar question for that Yedo game that Stooge mentioned.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Read that the German publisher of everything Pathfinder is not bringing the card game over. Their reasoning is the box size and that they have to delay all the releases (like that's something new), I call bullshit.

My offer to buy any NA-only game and bring them over the ocean for Christmas still stands. I live at the German border, so I can just send it with national mail afterwards.

Xater

My offer to buy any NA-only game and bring them over the ocean for Christmas still stands. I live at the German border, so I can just send it with national mail afterwards.

I know. I have made a note of that, but I wait until Essen. It all depends on how expensive that will be for me. :p

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I wish I could trick my wife into trying Pathfinder.

On the continuum of Lords of Waterdeep --> Mage Knight -- > Descent --> D&D, where does it fall on the "she will consider this role playing" scale?

Similar question for that Yedo game that Stooge mentioned.

Yedo is in the Lords of Waterdeep Category.

StoOgE

Xater

Very much so looking forward to this. I like what they've been doing with these by really adding some nice wrinkles to the game without making it too divergent from traditional TTR.

I've got Africa and China. Need to get India and this.

Yeah I am also missing India. It seems to be OOP. I'll get it once there is a reprint.

Preview of the new multiplayer formats coming to Star Wars LCG. Mainly focuses on the new semi coop mode where multiple players go up against one single major opponent deck. Very much similar to the old WoW TCG Raid decks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Very much so looking forward to this. I like what they've been doing with these by really adding some nice wrinkles to the game without making it too divergent from traditional TTR.

I've got Africa and China. Need to get India and this.

The Asia maps are both fantastic. What a screaming deal. Africa is decent but bummer they went away from the double-sided maps. That said I really like the idea behind this new mechanic -- discouraging the boring but effective card-hoarding strategy.

StoOgE

Oh man do I wish I could publicly post things that I know.

My tell all book into this industry would be *amazing*.

Mostly it would be about two companies. Everyone else is super cool so far.

StoOgE

Queen rapes dogs and Game Salute killed a man in 1990.

Close?

I like Queen Games!

Game Salute also doesn't bother me so much now that they are publicly accepting the fact that they are publishing games.

My current ire is with a company that isn't consumer facing.

Neverfade

How much money are they saving (or losing) by not letting their games be sold through traditional online distribution?

Seems to have bit Tasty Minstrel in the ass, but GS afaik is holding strong.

Boken

Banned
Dear board game gaf.

looking for a game to play regularly with the gf - what are some great boardgames/card games that are fun for 2p and have high replay value?

Also, I've looked at innovation, nightfall, line wars, summoner wars - anybody have experience with these?

mercviper

Current fotm is probably love letter. Monopoly card game is surprisingly good too. Are you looking at heavier 2p games? What about cooperative? What type of board gamer is your gf?

Other suggestions:

Jab
Dominion

Cooperative:

Pandemic/flashpoint
Elder sign

Of what you listed, summoner wars and night fall are both fun competitive games, one with a 2d strategic board element and one focused on matching card combos and deck creation.

Innovation is pretty good too and highly replayable since each card is unique so you almost never have the same experience playing the game.

Never played line wars so I have no input on that.

Xater

Dear board game gaf.

looking for a game to play regularly with the gf - what are some great boardgames/card games that are fun for 2p and have high replay value?

Also, I've looked at innovation, nightfall, line wars, summoner wars - anybody have experience with these?

Tell us how heavy tou want to go and maybe a general direction?

I enjoy quick more simpler 2 player games, so my recommendations are Jaipur and Hive.

Also Carcassonne with a. Few expansions is an amazing 2 player game. I don't think I'll ever stop playing that game...

Boken

Banned
not sure what heavy means. our gaming sessions are around 40-60mins, sometimes longer.

Neither of us are boardgamers - though I love TCG like MTG and the ilk. My gf hasn't really played board/card games before. We play League of Legends together - and I'm thinking of branching out and picking up a board game/card game.

We are competitive, but we also like co-op games. we are quite cerebral and like complexity. i like more interaction than not

right now im eyeing pandemic and summoner wars

tm24

not sure what heavy means. our gaming sessions are around 40-60mins, sometimes longer.

Neither of us are boardgamers - though I love TCG like MTG and the ilk. My gf hasn't really played board/card games before. We play League of Legends together - and I'm thinking of branching out and picking up a board game/card game.

We are competitive, but we also like co-op games. we are quite cerebral and like complexity. i like more interaction than not

If competition is your game, Summoner Wars is perfect. Theres an Ios version if you want to test spin it, but its a fairly straight forward game that is pretty deep

mercviper

To me, heavier typically means more complex rule sets and generally more taxing on the brain. For instance, I consider both pandemic and summoner wars somewhere around light to medium on the scale.

If you think your gf will like a card game like mtg, then I would highly suggest netrunner.

The coop games I suggested are basically big puzzles that you can work as a team to resolve, but may be too light/easy for your tastes, since the difficulty in them basically falls upon random chance.

Innovation is a great choice since it is highly interactive.

1955 is a great two player game with simple rules but a lot of thought goes behind each move. Even more of the same can be said about carcassone and I will second it as a great recommendation.

Jab is a different take on your usual card game and you'll enjoy it if you like playing stuff like speed/ers/slapjack with a normal playing deck of cards.

Summoner wars ends up kinda like chess, but each side gets their own specialized pieces they can play with. Still a great choice as well.

I'd also recommend finding a video review/playthrough of a game from dice tower or bgg to get a feel of how any particular game is played.

Xater

Yeah if your girlfriend might also enjoy something that's TCG like you should really look into Netrunner.

Innovation and Summoner Wars will probably also work for you guys.

Jambo might be worth a look.
2 player, cards with powers, lots of interaction, easy to learn, and relatively cheap.
Jambo

Boken

Banned
My thoughts so far:
- Pandemic - sounds fun and cool, but seems more like an occassional party game. Seems like a game we could easily optimise after a few sittings - I'm looking for a game we can play 2+ times a week.
- Android: Netrunner - sounds mechanically brilliant, but i feel like we'd waste a lot of time deckbuilding? and theres no interaction during deck building time. Its also just the two of us in a game with 7 factions

hat_hair

My thoughts so far:
- Android: Netrunner - sounds mechanically brilliant, but i feel like we'd waste a lot of time deckbuilding? and theres no interaction during deck building time. Its also just the two of us in a game with 7 factions

If you only buy the Core set, deckbuilding takes seconds. Grab your faction cards and mix in the neutral cards and you're ready to go.

I'm going to take another opportunity to evangelise Yomi as well. It's a card version of a fighting game, which means you get the fun of Street Fighter without having to learn how to do your combos. It's fairly pricey, so check out the free online version to see if you think it could be fun before spending any money on it.

Xater

My thoughts so far:
- Pandemic - sounds fun and cool, but seems more like an occassional party game. Seems like a game we could easily optimise after a few sittings - I'm looking for a game we can play 2+ times a week.

Pandemic can be balls hard, especially if you also get the expansion. It's definitely not a party game.

If you think deck building with Netrunner might take too long maybe take a look at the Star Wars LCG? In that game you just pick objective cards which come with 5 specific cards each. So you pick 10 of those and you are done.

Tutorial for the Star Wars game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9dWPwoUQ-Y&hd=1
Just the part about deckbuilding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az7d9ihKdb8&hd=1

Boken

Banned
If you only buy the Core set, deckbuilding takes seconds. Grab your faction cards and mix in the neutral cards and you're ready to go.

I'm going to take another opportunity to evangelise Yomi as well. It's a card version of a fighting game, which means you get the fun of Street Fighter without having to learn how to do your combos. It's fairly pricey, so check out the free online version to see if you think it could be fun before spending any money on it.
yomi is quite fun!
Pandemic can be balls hard, especially if you also get the expansion. It's definitely not a party game.

If you think deck building with Netrunner might take too long maybe take a look at the Star Wars LCG? In that game you just pick objective cards which come with 5 specific cards each. So you pick 10 of those and you are done.

Tutorial for the Star Wars game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9dWPwoUQ-Y&hd=1
Just the part about deckbuilding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az7d9ihKdb8&hd=1
i dont actually know if itd take too long - i just know there are 252 cards, so i presume there is a fair amount of time spend making the decks at first.

jambo looks quite interesting actually - pick up and play, good replayability, competitive

Barmaley

Neo Member
Seeing how popular playing Netrunner on octgn is around these parts, would anyone be interested in playing some Warhammer Invasion over octgn? I've had the game for years, but rarely I got to play it because I didn't know anyone who was ready to put in as much effort in it as I was (which was minimal, really). So in that sense octgn is a godsend.

Xater

yomi is quite fun!

i dont actually know if itd take too long - i just know there are 252 cards, so i presume there is a fair amount of time spend making the decks at first.

jambo looks quite interesting actually - pick up and play, good replayability, competitive

The base game comes with pre-constructed decks. Also you don#t need all the cards. It depends on which runner or corp you play.

AcridMeat

Banned

I used to play that online version of yomi semi-regularly. It's super fun, but still too expensive for me. :/

Neverfade

Bruges hit the table tonight. Pretty cool game. Super easy to teach but the card variety allows for a fair bit of strategy. One of the better Feld's IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom