• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't even considered the time factor in a larger game, but that makes sense. The simultaneous game setup sounds like a good idea.

I'm also going to look into the party games mentioned in the OP (Time's Up, Wits & Wagers, and Say Anything). They all sound like big potential hits.

Get Resistance or Avalon. They're an incredible amount of fun, especially if your group is decent at lying/deceiving. ;P

One-Night Ultimate Werewolf is pretty damn fun if you are into lying games with 5+.

Looks awesome. The review I read said it's a shorter, slightly easier version of the original Ultimate Werewolf game. Any reason to pick One-Night over the other?

The main differences I've gathered is One-Night doesn't require a moderator, nobody gets eliminated, and the game is significantly shorter. Is that about right?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Looks awesome. The review I read said it's a shorter, slightly easier version of the original Ultimate Werewolf game. Any reason to pick One-Night over the other?

The main differences I've gathered is One-Night doesn't require a moderator, nobody gets eliminated, and the game is significantly shorter. Is that about right?

Correct. And technically it doesn't require a mod because "there's an app for that" (Android & iOS).

Correct. And technically it doesn't require a mod because "there's an app for that" (Android & iOS).

Doh, doesn't ship until January. Maybe I'll go the Ultimate Werewolf route instead. It sounds like a total blast, although I might intimidate some of my newbie audience with the moderator role.

So...the Resistance, then?

parasight

How's Pathfinder the Card Game for someone who's never really played any pen & paper RPG? Is there a lot of mechanics to learn like Duel of Ages?

Smiley90

Yeah, the more I read up on it, the better it sounds. Man, I'm going to purchase something like 5 board games tonight.

Question: is the original Resistance the best bet for starting out? My wife LOVES Arthurian tales, so I'm thinking Avalon may be better.

They're both the exact same mechanism, but Avalon has more variety due to a bigger role variety. I'd say Avalon tops Resistance in basically everything. Not that Resistance isn't fun, though. Resistance more relies on "lying" though, which can make it REALLY simple for the resistance if the liars aren't good. Avalon has more inherent confusion, which makes the game more fun and less easy to figure out who's who.

They're both the exact same mechanism, but Avalon has more variety due to a bigger role variety. I'd say Avalon tops Resistance in basically everything. Not that Resistance isn't fun, though. Resistance more relies on "lying" though, which can make it REALLY simple for the resistance if the liars aren't good. Avalon has more inherent confusion, which makes the game more fun and less easy to figure out who's who.

Sounds awesome.

So I bought Resistance Avalon, Say Anything, Wits & Wagers, and Time's Up Title Recall. I'll be keeping the first one for me and giving the other three away as presents. Should be a fun gaming holiday.

Omikron

just wanted to jump in and say repos have done a great job customer service wise. I had an issue with sticky dice in ghost stories and I emailed them with details etc and replacements arrived today, but also included a promo pack of ghosts. really great.

Apenheul

I was playing Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game solo just to learn the rules before me and two other people jump in and I don't think I ever had less fun playing a game solo; when playing with others I imagine deciding who goes where and exchanging items, helping others in combat etc makes the game a lot more interesting. I've listened to an interview with Mike Selinker on the Quarter to Three podcast which sheds some light on future expansions and how more mechanics will be introduced later on, i.e. something with cards that stick to your weapon. Sounds good.

I was playing Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game solo just to learn the rules before me and two other people jump in and I don't think I ever had less fun playing a game solo; when playing with others I imagine deciding who goes where and exchanging items, helping others in combat etc makes the game a lot more interesting. I've listened to an interview with Mike Selinker on the Quarter to Three podcast which sheds some light on future expansions and how more mechanics will be introduced later on, i.e. something with cards that stick to your weapon. Sounds good.

Really I constantly play solo and love it! I have narrowly escaped death a few times and it came down to 1 roll or one card pull.

Good times.

I usually hate solo games of any kind, but I can't imagine Pathfinder being fun without other players *shrug*

The solo setup of the game also is likely kinda boring and if I did play solo I would be playing multiple roles to add more variety to the game, but I can't imagine that being fun with all the decks you will be managing and hands.

shas'la

Really struggling with the rule book from Dungeon Roll. Its such a hard read, and i cant find anywhere it mentions that when you use a die to defeat monsters etc, that it get "tapped", I've seen playthroughs and know that's the case but the rules defeat me.

The only thing that gets "tapped" in Dungeon Roll is your main character's ultimate ability. When you use a die to kill a monster it goes to the graveyard (and is dead for the rest of your dungeon delve unless you can potion "resurrect" it).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Played Eldritch Horror and Fortune & Glory on Saturday. Really enjoyed both. Prefer Eldritch mainly because I like the theme more as well as the art. Disappointed my Eldritch board doesn't lay flat.

PBY

Banned
Just got lost cities for the gf and I.

Neither of us are down with fantasy nerdery, but it will really turn her off.

Good purchase? Looking for something light and fun.

Smiley90

Just got lost cities for the gf and I.

Neither of us are down with fantasy nerdery, but it will really turn her off.

Good purchase? Looking for something light and fun.

Lost Cities is about 0% fantasy nerdery. It is very light and fun and even people who really dislike boardgames have had fun with it. At least those that I've played with. Good purchase.

PBY

Banned
Lost Cities is about 0% fantasy nerdery. It is very light and fun and even people who really dislike boardgames have had fun with it. At least those that I've played with. Good purchase.

Nice, was a straight up blind buy from the OP. This is a pretty great thread btw.

Slacker

Nice, was a straight up blind buy from the OP. This is a pretty great thread btw.

My wife is turned off by all things fantasy too. Her favorite game by a mile is Ticket to Ride. We play almost every version out there, but we like 1910 Mega Game the best. After that she likes Jaipur and Lost Cities a good bit too. I can't get her to play anything else. :p

PBY

Banned
My wife is turned off by all things fantasy too. Her favorite game by a mile is Ticket to Ride. We play almost every version out there, but we like 1910 Mega Game the best. After that she likes Jaipur and Lost Cities a good bit too. I can't get her to play anything else. :p

Nice, might have to try out ticket to ride then.

TheExodu5

Banned
Played Descent Second Edition again tonight.

I really dislike this game. What a letdown after the first edition, which was pretty solid.

Karkador

Banned
Played the newly released Coup tonight, back-to-back with Mascarade. Coup kind of fell off my radar after reading too many negative things about it, but I think it's a fairly interesting game. The political theme of it is not exactly strong, but I found it interesting that you'll sometimes let people get away with a bluff for the purpose of letting them eliminate another player- just to then do it to them later. Or maybe you'll do actions that mask your intentions, or maybe you'll just try really hard and hunt the bluffers and come down on them for lying.

Definitely sits happily alongside Mascarade and better than I thought. Also, the money tokens for the game are really neat.

Angst

Nice, might have to try out ticket to ride then.
Yeah my girlfriend loves TTR too and so do I. If you get the US map, make sure to get the 1910 expansion as well. It brings bigger cards, more replayability and overall better balancing. Or you could just get the Europe map, although it is a tiny bit more complicated. Just a tad though.

Really like Eldritch Horror. Tried it at Gencon but that was just the short demo. To us it felt like it ran much smoother than a game of Arkham Horror, and being more scenario based adds a bit more variety to what you do compared to AH.

Only negative is still, like AH it can take long time to play it.

Neverfade

EH is on the docket for tomorrow night's session. I'm pretty stoked.

I'm not sure what's happening to me -- excited for a damn coop! :)

I've even been looking at Arkham in a new light.... might reaquire if EH goes over well.

I haven't gamed much this year, as my 3 friends who I usually play with consisted of a couple who split up and most of my games require or are at their best with more than 2 players. Does anyone have any recommendations for decent 2 player game of medium difficulty at most? Dominion, TTR and Carcassonne are what we've been stuck with for the most part. I was thinking about Netrunner, Memoir 44 and Agricola All Creature Big & Small.

Angst

I haven't gamed much this year, as my 3 friends who I usually play with consisted of a couple who split up and most of my games require or are at their best with more than 2 players. Does anyone have any recommendations for decent 2 player game of medium difficulty at most? Dominion, TTR and Carcassonne are what we've been stuck with for the most part. I was thinking about Netrunner, Memoir 44 and Agricola All Creature Big & Small.
Netrunner is amazing, but so is apparently both Memoir 44 and Agricola ACBS. What theme appeal to our the most? You can try Memoir and Netrunner online, for free. Although playing face to face is infinitely more fun it'll give you an idea of the games.

daevv

Smash up. yay or nay?

I like the art work and style and love card games. I watched the Dice Tower overview. Just wondering what it's like when actually played with 3-4 people. Card quality?

Snakes and Lattes here in Canada has the game and the two expansions in a bundle for $55 with free shipping.

Netrunner is amazing, but so is apparently both Memoir 44 and Agricola ACBS. What theme appeal to our the most? You can try Memoir and Netrunner online, for free. Although playing face to face is infinitely more fun it'll give you an idea of the games.

I'm not really picky when it comes to theme. I'm particularly attracted to Memoir 44 as it's something I think my dad might like and it looks simple enough for him to pick up too. I might give Netrunner a try online first, though it seems to come very highly recommended by most.

I'm not really picky when it comes to theme. I'm particularly attracted to Memoir 44 as it's something I think my dad might like and it looks simple enough for him to pick up too. I might give Netrunner a try online first, though it seems to come very highly recommended by most.
Using OCTGN? Very bad idea. The program is great when you know how to play the game but it is terrible when you are trying to learn. The problem is OCTGN doesn't really enforce rules and it's up to the player to get things playing right. I would suggest just biting the bullet and shelling out for one core set. Thankfully the core set is not too expensive and it contains everything you will need to start playing. If you like the game enough to get into deckbuilding get another core set and some of the data packs.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Smash up. yay or nay?

I like the art work and style and love card games. I watched the Dice Tower overview. Just wondering what it's like when actually played with 3-4 people. Card quality?

Snakes and Lattes here in Canada has the game and the two expansions in a bundle for $55 with free shipping.
It's light fun. I enjoyed it when I posted it for the first time at BGG but since you draft factions there might be some issues if you have greatly varying skill levels involved.

Smash up. yay or nay?

Nay. It's too long for how light the game is and the theme bugs me. If you want a deeper game that plays similar, grab Blood Bowl Team Manager.

Karkador

Banned
Smash Up does feel long, but I suppose you could play to less points (maybe 10 instead of 15)

Netrunner is great, but maybe pushing your difficulty requirement a little. Check out a tutorial video on Youtube and see if it's for you. Agricola ACB&S is a great game for 2, packing a lot of game into a little box...just make sure to pick it up with one of the expansions to get the most replayability out of it.

You could also try getting a couple of smaller 2-player games. I really like Mr. Jack Pocket. Lost Cities is pretty fun. Jaipur is also supposed to be very good.

TheExodu5

Banned

Netrunner. Also check out Lord of the Rings Confrontation.

daevv

It's light fun. I enjoyed it when I posted it for the first time at BGG but since you draft factions there might be some issues if you have greatly varying skill levels involved.

Nay. It's too long for how light the game is and the theme bugs me. If you want a deeper game that plays similar, grab Blood Bowl Team Manager.

Smash Up does feel long, but I suppose you could play to less points (maybe 10 instead of 15)

Thanks guys! I'm gonna pass for now. Maybe in 2014. :)

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out. As for Netrunners difficulty, it isn't something that will bother me, but I'll look up a video to see if I think it'll be easy enough to teach my friend. She's usually pretty patient.

joelseph

Finally got my KS copy of Coup. Lol at this box not fitting and people defending it. This whole process has tested my patience with KS as a whole.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out. As for Netrunners difficulty, it isn't something that will bother me, but I'll look up a video to see if I think it'll be easy enough to teach my friend. She's usually pretty patient.
Netrunner can get difficult with some of the card combos in the data packs, but the basic decks they have you build in the core set are pretty straight forward. The one thing that can get tricky is timing, when things trigger and when you can trigger things.

Neverfade

Azathoth just thoroughly destroyed our booty hole in Eldritch Horror, and it was a ton of fun. We only solved one mystery, and the board was a hot mess stacked against us. We have much to learn.

Dreavus

I was looking up Avalon after work today, looks pretty damn awesome. The Merlin mechanic sounds right up our group's alley.

I smell a potential Christmas gift for the one looking to get his own copy of Resistance.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just tried Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective tonight. Very cool game. We were way off the mark with our investigation, and we failed to follow a very important lead at the start to its conclusion, but it was still a lot of fun. Definitely unlike anything else I've ever played.

Apenheul

Sooo.. I've played Sentinels of the Multiverse, it was quite good to be honest and (like I mentioned before) while I admire the way SU&SD looks at games I disagree with their video review of SotM. To summarize; they say it's a game in which you have no choice but to constantly pick the card that does the most damage. I think they misunderstood the game or something, IMO you're not building an engine in SotM but you're reacting to a dynamic puzzle. The question is not so much about which card you should play but who should destroy which target and in which order so that we can deal the most damage to the villain. And then there's the environment deck that may block you from playing cards for an entire round, so be prepared to change tactics.

Also, it looks like I'll finally be playing BattleStar Galactica Daybreak tomorrow.

Karkador

Banned
Just tried Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective tonight. Very cool game. We were way off the mark with our investigation, and we failed to follow a very important lead at the start to its conclusion, but it was still a lot of fun. Definitely unlike anything else I've ever played.

This sounds interesting, I had never heard of it. How long did a playsession take and how many did you play with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom