• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

Concerning Alien VS Predator...

has anyone NOT found someone to partner with for the invite reward? If the person that backed last posts "X invited me", where X is the other person, in Update #6, both me and you get a free model. PM me if you want to arrange this.

edit: Looks like they changed this so it only happens if they get 2000+ backers?

Guess which game arrived in the mail this morning.. oh and also Sentinels of the Universe (present for a friend) which SU&SD also didn't appreciate. Paul and Quinns always talk about the things that matter most to me (gameplay, tactical / strategic decisions) so I should be alarmed, however, I almost don't see the 'game' in Escape and they praised that one to heaven. I hope to play Pathfinder TGC some time next week and we'll see whether the experience makes up for its mechanical shortcomings.

Pathfinder is more of a rpg lite than a board game, yes there is gamey elements but its essentially a rpg that uses cards to randomly generate content. It's great if your into rpgs, but I think the hype got alot of people to buy it who aren't into the genre. Sentinels is awesome outside it's art.

Damn I'm still going back and forth on the AvP Kickstarter... I guess I can always sell it to get my money back if I decide that I don't want it later? Those KS-only resin minis could perhaps make it worth something down the line. Hmmmmmm so difficult...

Does anyone know how it plays?

Its just way to expensive for what you get, and the figures are not kickstarter exclusive, they will eventually release them for general purchase as they are being made for the AvP wargame. It will probably all be alot cheaper down the line when it's mass produced and you can buy it online at a discount retailer. There might be some value in the resin figs for a while down the line like Sedition Wars, but I see it doing the same thing as SW where it just completely dies in value once it's out in the wild and being sold at discount.

Ledsen

Its just way to expensive for what you get, and the figures are not kickstarter exclusive, they will eventually release them for general purchase as they are being made for the AvP wargame. It will probably all be alot cheaper down the line when it's mass produced and you can buy it online at a discount retailer. There might be some value in the resin figs for a while down the line like Sedition Wars, but I see it doing the same thing as SW where it just completely dies in value once it's out in the wild and being sold at discount.

That's interesting. One thing I'm wondering is, how much better is the quality of the resin figs likely to be compared to the ones they release later? If I can just wait and get the stuff at the same price or cheaper, for basically the same quality, I'll probably cancel my pledge.

Apenheul

Pathfinder is more of a rpg lite than a board game, yes there is gamey elements but its essentially a rpg that uses cards to randomly generate content. It's great if your into rpgs, but I think the hype got alot of people to buy it who aren't into the genre. Sentinels is awesome outside it's art.
That's good to hear, I will try to play it with players who enjoy seeing their characters grow and aren't min/maxers.

Krelian

While I still haven't decided on my next deck builder I got Ghost Stories from Amazon today. I've been meaning to give this game a try for a while now so with the recent price drop I finally decided to order it.

AcridMeat

Banned
A little bit unrelated, but has anyone played the steam version of Ticket to Ride? It's on sale for $5 right now so I'm considering it.

edit: I had some in my steam wallet, so now my question is does anyone have it and want to play? :)

fenners

Thanks for your opinions, i'll probably sit this one out then. Guess I might pick it up if it ever goes retail.

The Heroquest kickstarter's been yanked because of a legal dispute. Surprise surprise. Best it happens now & not after the kickstarter ends (Hi, Upfront!).

Karkador

Banned
A little bit unrelated, but has anyone played the steam version of Ticket to Ride? It's on sale for $5 right now so I'm considering it.

edit: I had some in my steam wallet, so now my question is does anyone have it and want to play? :)

I'm in! We have to add each other on Steam

Edit: OH NO I dun goofed and didn't notice that the game + all the DLC was also on sale for $2 more :C :C :C

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The Heroquest kickstarter's been yanked because of a legal dispute. Surprise surprise. Best it happens now & not after the kickstarter ends (Hi, Upfront!).

I'm still waiting for Up Front. :(

On the upside, UPS tried to deliver my copy of Wrong Chemistry today, so yay!

Neverfade

You guys probably know I'm not super hot on Coup. However, one of my gaming groups rather enjoys it and it gets played with them a decent bit. Last nite I got introduced to the Reformation expansion, and while it doesn't push the game over Mascarade or Love Letter for me, it goes very far into turning the game into something I don't borderline dislike.

It's a very simple concept, and you can add the rules to your game without needing to purchase it first, barring you scrounge up a few simple tokens. You'll need tokens that are dual sided, one for each player, that represent your faith. One side is Protestant, the other Catholic (this is obviously for the original Coup release, I don't know of any thematic reasoning for the Resistance retheming). Each player is given an alternating faith as to not be the same faith as the persons next to you -- barring one couple in an odd player game.

After this the additional rules state that you can only attack people of opposite faith unless EVERYONE is the same faith -- then the infighting can begin. Adding the real twist to the game is there is an additional "bank" type area called the Almshouse and you can pay one money (forget whichever historical currency this game uses) to it to change your own faith, or two money to change any other player's faith. Lastly, you can claim to NOT be the duchess to take up to three money from the almshouse supply.

And that's really it. I find vanilla coup to be over before I can even get a handle on any sort of tactics and this fixes that for me. Positioning yourself to be immune from the guy who's about to coup is pretty great and makes for some really hilarious moments when everyone's trying to not be a target.

I'll never play vanilla Coup again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played my first Feldie yesterday, finally: Castles of Burgundy. The setup is a bit long and the theme and art could not be any more bone dry (literally if you tried to make a drier game it would wind up being less dry just because your self-awareness would inevitably make some elements over-the-top dry which would be entertaining), but I enjoyed it a lot and my wife liked it even more. Definitely want to play through a few more times and then start using the random estates. After that I do still have Trajan lying around for Feld #2 but by the looks of the rules probably best we went with CoB first.

Neverfade

I'd recommend Bruges, Astro. it has a board but it is largely a card game. Of his works, it'd likely be most up your alley.

Luna is also a pretty unique worker placement game that doesn't get enough love.

AcridMeat

Banned
Got a chance to play King of Tokyo! last night with a group. I enjoy it, there's a lot more tough decision making than I imagined. We never had great cards on the table though, until our last game where someone got Jets as they took over Tokyo.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'd recommend Bruges, Astro. it has a board but it is largely a card game. Of his works, it'd likely be most up your alley.

Luna is also a pretty unique worker placement game that doesn't get enough love.

Cool -- I'll definitely consider it for a future CSI order then. I plan on playing a fair amount of CoB for sure. I just learned Suburbia at BGG.Con a few weeks ago -- and I really liked that, and in many ways CoB feels like a better version of that in terms of core and novel mechanics (prefer the theme of Suburbia a ton but it's OK).
[q]Got a chance to play King of Tokyo! last night with a group. I enjoy it, there's a lot more tough decision making than I imagined. We never had great cards on the table though, until our last game where someone got Jets as they took over Tokyo.[/q]
KoT is so boss. Pick up the first expansion when you can -- you'll really enjoy it.

Played my first Feldie yesterday, finally: Castles of Burgundy. The setup is a bit long and the theme and art could not be any more bone dry (literally if you tried to make a drier game it would wind up being less dry just because your self-awareness would inevitably make some elements over-the-top dry which would be entertaining), but I enjoyed it a lot and my wife liked it even more. Definitely want to play through a few more times and then start using the random estates. After that I do still have Trajan lying around for Feld #2 but by the looks of the rules probably best we went with CoB first.

I love Burgundy. It goes in the pile with Stone Age and Kingsburg for "games that use dice in an awesome way".

Karkador

Banned
So I played Caverna last night.

Some people (such as, a very popular and well-known board game reviewer, local to my area) are hot with praise over Caverna, saying it completely replaces Agricola for them and is better in every way. After playing it, I think I kind of have to disagree a little bit.

First of all, I have to mention how utterly daunting it was that the box seems almost twice as thick as Agricola. Opening the box, you find what seems like twice as many components. You have all the same amount of things as in Agricola, plus a TON of tiles, new chits, as well as new bits like ore/rubies, additional animals (dogs are pretty awesome, though). Just taking all this stuff out and finding a place for it on the table during setup is pretty overwhelming. The end result looks like maybe 2 or 3 board games worth of things. I also think it's a little inexcusable, at the game's price point with so many components, to not have any kind of insert in the box for them to go (especially the tiles).

As for the gameplay itself, it certainly feels like an evolution of Agricola, but perhaps in a direction that is meant more for hardcore players and people bored with Agricola. I like some of the changes and I generally think tiles for rooms as powers/fences work a lot better than cards (as they do in All Creatures Big and Small). Dogs are also awesome.

However, it comes off perhaps less accessible than Agricola does for families and casual players. There's just too much STUFF going on. All Creatures Big and Small distilled the original and made a very fun and relatively quick 2-player version (I love this version, and you can see the origin of ideas in Caverna from here). I wish Caverna had gone more in that direction (and it kind of did), but with the intention of adding even more complexity on top of the game, what with weapons and adventures and options pouring out of the game's every orifice.

Overall, I enjoyed the game, but I don't necessarily think it replaces Agricola.

Smiley90

After playing Resistance many times, my friends and me played Avalon for the first (and second and third and fourth) time last night. The added character roles really add a lot more suspense/confusion to the game. In Resistance (especially with plot cards) it would become somewhat obvious who was a spy and who wasn't pretty fast, whereas we never really ran into that in Avalon. Love it.

TheExodu5

Banned
After playing Resistance many times, my friends and me played Avalon for the first (and second and third and fourth) time last night. The added character roles really add a lot more suspense/confusion to the game. In Resistance (especially with plot cards) it would become somewhat obvious who was a spy and who wasn't pretty fast, whereas we never really ran into that in Avalon. Love it.

Yup, Avalon is fantastic and a big improvement over Resistance.

So far, I've tried everything except for Mordred and Oberon.

After having played about 35 games and getting a good feel for the balance, this is how I usually set up my games:

5 players - Merlin, Assassin
6 players - Merlin, Assassin, Percival
7 players - Merlin, Assassin (optional: Percival and Morgana)
8 players - Merlin, Assassin, Percival

Not sure about 9 or 10 players yet...I've only played those two playercounts early on so I'm not sure how the balance works out. 6 and 8 players, I feel that the Loyals need a bit of help, so I like to add in Percival without Morgana. I'd only ever consider adding Lady of the Lake with 9 players or more, and even then it's not necessary...add her in if you're getting bored and want to spice up the game.

One thing that's really nice about Avalon is that it's really easy to keep the game balanced. If one side is winning more often than not, then just add in a role to help the losing team.

Smiley90

We played 8 players with all of

-Merlin only
-Merlin, Mordred, Percival
-Merlin, Mordred, Percival, Oberon, Morgana

I felt like adding ALL the roles was a bit too much, 3 felt like the sweet spot. I did NOT see coming who was who at the end at all.

Karkador

Banned
Everything you said about Caverna sounds great, personally. ACBAS neutered too much game for me.

I definitely think there are and will be people who think Caverna is great, and I don't mean to dissuade them. The game is cool. I just a disagree that it completely makes Agricola obsolete. I think Agricola is probably still more accessible (in Family mode, at least) than Caverna is, even if some things about it are harsher.

Caverna gives you many concessions and options to not struggle so much with getting food and such, it comes at the price of having that many more options and resources and mechanics to consider when doing things. Meanwhile, the time limit is the same, so you still feel that crunch to get more things done on time.

Did you already get burned out on Agricola, or have it all figured out? Because I'm thinking that's the type of player this new game is addressing, rather than a refinement for new players. I've just started playing the Agricola games, so I'm still fresh and content with playing them.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Oh man,

Just signed a deal for my favorite game that came out this year.

Really excited. Our first "small" game too. Hopefully we can retail it for 20-25 bucks.

Neverfade

Did you already get burned out on Agricola, or have it all figured out? Because I'm thinking that's the type of player this new game is addressing, rather than a refinement for new players. I've just started playing the Agricola games, so I'm still fresh and content with playing them.

Neither, I just don't think its as great as BGG would have people believe. I used to actively hate it, and I've grown to like it a fair bit, but until I get my hands on Caverna and see whats up, Le Havre is the best Rosenburg.

Karkador

Banned
Neither, I just don't think its as great as BGG would have people believe. I used to actively hate it, and I've grown to like it a fair bit, but until I get my hands on Caverna and see whats up, Le Havre is the best Rosenburg.

I have yet to play Havre. What did you hate about Agricola before?

Neverfade

I have yet to play Havre. What did you hate about Agricola before?

Agricola feels like work. Its controlled bleeding. Until late game, feeding your people can feel harrowing.

Le Havre has feeding people, but unlike Agricola, just about everything you can do is an awesome choice. If someone takes space X, then space Y is still great. It just feels rewarding.

In other news, my buddy Evan Derrick's game, formerly The Resistance: The Boardgame and before that BSG Express, has had its contract released from Indie Boards and Cards (working with that guy sounds nightmarish) and picked up by Stronghold games under the name Dark Moon, with a John Carpenter's The Thing-like theme where miners on a moon of Saturn unearth a symbiote/parasite thing. He sounds confident that this version of the game is highly improved upon the original BSG Express, which was already really fun. Keep an eye on that one.

hat_hair

Agricola feels like work. Its controlled bleeding. Until late game, feeding your people can feel harrowing.

Le Havre has feeding people, but unlike Agricola, just about everything you can do is an awesome choice. If someone takes space X, then space Y is still great. It just feels rewarding.

This encapsulates my feelings on these games perfectly. Agricola is punishing in a way that reduces the fun. Lords of Waterdeep has a similar feeling of accomplishment.

Today I played a copy of Gear and Piston, which was a kickstarted worker placement game. It was a decent enough game, but it felt a bit short, as though there should be another couple of turns.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I disagree -- find Le Havre to be basically useless unless you're playing with someone very close to your experience level (maybe even worse than Twilight Struggle) since so much of the game is known right away. There's way too little variance to keep my interest, relatively speaking. Now it's still a great game, but that's why I prefer Agricola.

I love Burgundy. It goes in the pile with Stone Age and Kingsburg for "games that use dice in an awesome way".
Yep, two more of my favorites. Although I rarely play Stone Age anymore because I have so many worker-placement games, and it's not quite my favorite lightweight worker placement (Kingsburg, Alien Frontiers, and Waterdeep beat it out).

Neverfade

I disagree -- find Le Havre to be basically useless unless you're playing with someone very close to your experience level (maybe even worse than Twilight Struggle) since so much of the game is known right away. There's way too little variance to keep my interest, relatively speaking. Now it's still a great game, but that's why I prefer Agricola.

Guess I've been lucky enough to play with people who can grok it pretty quick. I've never had a game where new people didn't look at the wharf or the colliery or one of the tons of other awesome buildings and not say "I need this so I can deny you the bonus for using it free of charge".

On the other hand I routinely hand new people their ass in Agricola.

Smiley90

Which 7 Wonders expansion(s) is/are generally considered the best/must-haves? Definitely one of my group's most played games and I figured it's about time to add some variety to it. Do the expansions add some more interactions to the game? Cause.... that's kind of the ONE thing the base game feels like it's lacking.

Blizzard

Banned
Which 7 Wonders expansion(s) is/are generally considered the best/must-haves? Definitely one of my group's most played games and I figured it's about time to add some variety to it. Do the expansions add some more interactions to the game? Cause.... that's kind of the ONE thing the base game feels like it's lacking.
I specifically DON'T like the city/spies expansion though it does add interactions in the sense of screwing other players out of gold, potentially permanently setting them back if they don't manage to anticipate and play safe enough ahead of time.

I do like the expansion which adds the famous people (I forget what they are called) with special powers, because it adds another dimension but does not punish individual players in particular.

Neverfade

Oh man,

Just signed a deal for my favorite game that came out this year.

Really excited. Our first "small" game too. Hopefully we can retail it for 20-25 bucks.

That's too expensive for Donburiko, but I wish it was Donburiko. Hey -- I think they need a stateside publisher!

If you want interaction, Cities. The interaction is minimal and you do get pissed off when a far off civ builds something that takes your gold. I personally prefer Leaders over Cities. The extra leaders drafting phase helps guide a strategy before you even see your first hand.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Leaders is fun but it's kind of a separate thing in that it introduces a whole new phase and that's it. Cities integrates more tightly into the base game. So depends what you're looking for. They both introduce some real randomness and sometimes even imbalance into the game and that drives some people nuts. Personally I always play with both and love doing so. If I had to pick one I'd go with Leaders.

joelseph

Coup KS was the worst KS I have done to date. Still waiting for my copy to arrive while a copy sits on the shelves of my LGS for the past month.

On the opposite end of the KS experience I must say, 2 Rooms and a Boom is being ran great! I look forward to their final product.

Slacker

Played Ticket to Ride: Nederlands for the first time yesterday, and it looks pretty great. The new feature in this version is the addition of toll tokens. Almost every route on the board is a double route, and both sides of the route can always be used, even if you're only playing with 2 or 3 players. The first person to claim a double route has to pay its printed cost (between 1 and 4 tokens) to the bank. When someone wants to claim the second route, he has to pay the printed cost to the player who had previously claimed the first route. The tokens are very important because players get bonuses depending on how many tokens they have at the end of the game.

I need to play it a few more times to make sure the token bonus at the end isn't a little too strong. In our first game with four players, I ended up with the most tokens which netted me a 55 point bonus, and I ended up winning by a pretty large margin. I'm really looking forward to playing it with just 2 players as the double-route thing should make things interesting.

And it's old news but I also snagged For Sale as my free game at my FLGS's buy-two-get-one-free sale (I was looking for Boss Monster but it's sold out). I really like For Sale, though. Easy to pick up for kids and adults, fast, and just enough strategy to provide some interesting decision-making situations. Perfect addition to our Family Game Night lineup.

I agree with this completely, which is why I never added Le Havre to my collection. My favorite worker placement game by a longshot is The Manhattan Project.

parasight

Coup KS was the worst KS I have done to date. Still waiting for my copy to arrive while a copy sits on the shelves of my LGS for the past month.

On the opposite end of the KS experience I must say, 2 Rooms and a Boom is being ran great! I look forward to their final product.

Seriously. I still don't have mine and yet my friend who lives in the same area got his last week already, which is still months after the intended target date (October). That said,we ran a few games this Sunday and it's really fun. I think I enjoy it more than Love Letter.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Count me as another Coup backer who hasn't yet gotten his stuff. No big deal to me though I have a ton of games to plow through and even though I backed it I'm not a huge Coup fan. (Just don't like lying-based games though for some reason I find it slightly easier to get into more complex lying games like BSG and especially Shadows.)

I picked up Krosmaster Arena in one of the BF sales (CSI has it today as well) -- looking forward to trying it out. Seems like a game with minis as pretty as Monsterpocalypse but with a ruleset that's actually comprehensible to non-wargamers.

I have the Dominion base game and am considering picking up Intrigue to expand the number of players for my family coming during Christmas. Any of the other expansions worth it? Alchemy seems like a clear pass for me, but which other ones do you guys recommend? Are any too overpowered and spoil the original game?

Slacker

I have the Dominion base game and am considering picking up Intrigue to expand the number of players for my family coming during Christmas. Any of the other expansions worth it? Alchemy seems like a clear pass for me, but which other ones do you guys recommend? Are any too overpowered and spoil the original game?

I don't really like Alchemy (popular opinion seems to agree), but aside from that most of the expansions are pretty cool and add some cool stuff to the game. I personally really like Prosperity and Dark Ages.

One thing to consider: Dominion with 5+ players can drag on a bit and get a little tedious. One remedy I've seen suggested on the internets is to split larger groups up into two tables. Have each table play a game with whatever set of ten kingdom cards you decide. Record everyone's scores, then have everyone swap tables and play the other set of cards. Add up scores from both games and you have an overall ranking. If you're feeling even more sporting make the top two or three play one more game against each other for the championship.

edit: Whoops and to be clear to do the above you need two sets of "base" cards (meaning money and victory point cards). Intrigue comes with another set so if you buy that you'll have everything you need. If you decide you want one of the other expansions instead you can snag the base cards by themselves as well.

I don't really like Alchemy (popular opinion seems to agree), but aside from that most of the expansions are pretty cool and add some cool stuff to the game. I personally really like Prosperity and Dark Ages.

One thing to consider: Dominion with 5+ players can drag on a bit and get a little tedious. One remedy I've seen suggested on the internets is to split larger groups up into two tables. Have each table play a game with whatever set of ten kingdom cards you decide. Record everyone's scores, then have everyone swap tables and play the other set of cards. Add up scores from both games and you have an overall ranking. If you're feeling even more sporting make the top two or three play one more game against each other for the championship.

edit: Whoops and to be clear to do the above you need two sets of "base" cards (meaning money and victory point cards). Intrigue comes with another set so if you buy that you'll have everything you need. If you decide you want one of the other expansions instead you can snag the base cards by themselves as well.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't even considered the time factor in a larger game, but that makes sense. The simultaneous game setup sounds like a good idea.

I'm also going to look into the party games mentioned in the OP (Time's Up, Wits & Wagers, and Say Anything). They all sound like big potential hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom