• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Also, remember the number 1 rule.

Inserts are meant to be thrown away and replaced with plano boxes and plastic bags.

Flynn said:
Sure they do. If people who play serious board games hate the cards they keep 'em in.

:lol

Well played.

Neverfade

StoOgE said:
Also, remember the number 1 rule.

Inserts are meant to be thrown away and replaced with plano boxes and plastic bags.
If only every game came with inserts like the ones in Tikal and Colosseum... :(

StoOgE

Neverfade said:
If only every game came with inserts like the ones in Tikal and Colosseum... :(

Small Worlds insert for storing races is amazing. The insert that holds everything else went right in the trash.

Dominions insert is also amazing.

I try and save them if they have cool artwork on them or actually hold all of the pieces well, otherwise they go right in the trashcan. They take up about 30% of the boxes volume and half the time the game barely holds everything after you have punched and bagged them.

dogbert

StoOgE said:
Small Worlds insert for storing races is amazing. The insert that holds everything else went right in the trash.

I try and save them if they have cool artwork on them or actually hold all of the pieces well, otherwise they go right in the trashcan. They take up about 30% of the boxes volume and half the time the game barely holds everything after you have punched and bagged them.

I got a plano box for my Small World gumpf - with all the expansions, it needed it. I see the next expansion is coming with another insert...

StoOgE

dogbert said:
I got a plano box for my Small World gumpf - with all the expansions, it needed it. I see the next expansion is coming with another insert...

yeah, I held out on ditching the Small World box because it was so awesome. It seems to have paid off since the new one is coming with an insert for all of the other races.

Neverfade

StoOgE said:

That would require owning Small World though :p

StoOgE said:

What would be amazing is fitting 500 cards in a properly sized box. Fuck Dominion's insert.

Shoogoo

Hey, I have got the opportunity to buy the Doom boardgame + the expansion at a very good price. Should I go for it?

Back then I owned Space Crusade (the 'easy' Space Hulk from MB) and loved it.

I'm afraid that the amount of mission is a little low but I guess there are fans (BGG) who made new scenarii?

Chorazin

Shoogoo said:
Hey, I have got the opportunity to buy the Doom boardgame + the expansion at a very good price. Should I go for it?

I'm afraid that the amount of mission is a little low but I guess there are fans (BGG) who made new scenarii?
Go for it, it looks like a ton of fun. I'd jump on the chance to get it!

StoOgE

Picked up Cranium and a game called Argue! for 5 dollars total today thrifting.

I personally *hate* Cranium.. but several friends love it and I'm still trying to build my part game collection.

Argue is a game where you are given a silly topic with two sides and then two people debate the issue (you are given a side, you don't pick which one). The other players vote on who made their point better and the winner gets points. And you go around the table until everyone has debated twice and total up points. It might be fun.

StoOgE

Shoogoo said:

It is pretty highly regarded on BGG. I'd go for it. Worst case scenario if the price is that good you can probably sell it and at least get your money back.

Shoogoo

StoOgE said:
It is pretty highly regarded on BGG. I'd go for it. Worst case scenario if the price is that good you can probably sell it and at least get your money back.

Both for £50. I consider it a good price since the expansion is kindish hard to find. I'll take it, thanks for the advice guys :)

I plan on painting the minis with my girlfriend too, any website with speedpainting advices is welcome :)

StoOgE

platypotamus said:
You're good people, Stooge.

I actually decided to lump it and most of the party games I've bought into a group and trade them away at BGG-Con.

I'll keep Beyond Balderdash and Time's Up since they are actually good party games and get rid of the filler. I don't play enough party games to keep a collection of them. Especially ones I try and avoid playing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just played some LNOE using the Zombie Pillage scenario and cards. Great stuff. Most fun I've had with that game even though we played a couple rules wrong. (Game is easy but fiddly with certain rules.)

BattleMonkey: How do you store your Voltron Monsterpocalypse figures? They just come in this janky box without storage and a couple of them already broke off in the box (superglue did the trick) but I really don't know what to do from here.

AstroLad said:
BattleMonkey: How do you store your Voltron Monsterpocalypse figures? They just come in this janky box without storage and a couple of them already broke off in the box (superglue did the trick) but I really don't know what to do from here.

I have all my monsterpoc stuff in some plastic tool box thing with a bunch of compartments that let me organize it, it's all mixed together with various sets now.

Thanks to Borders for the 40% off coupon I picked up Space Hulk: Death Angel for $13. I just ran through two solo games and I got to say, shit's fucking hard. I got smoked both times in the second to last room. Besides being super tough it wasn't too bad and I did enjoy myself. Be forewarned the rulebook is garbage. The game isn't nearly as difficult to play as the book makes it seem.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Thanks to Borders for the 40% off coupon I picked up Space Hulk: Death Angel for $13. I just ran through two solo games and I got to say, shit's fucking hard. I got smoked both times in the second to last room. Besides being super tough it wasn't too bad and I did enjoy myself. Be forewarned the rulebook is garbage. The game isn't nearly as difficult to play as the book makes it seem.

Space Hulk is always hard on the marines. Need expansion that somehow lets you play a Xenos mode though :D

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Definitely going to play more LNOE tonight. Soo broken and unbalanced at times but soo good.

pretty much my exact feelings. The game is fun in spite of itself.

I really wish I had my copy already, but I have to wait for BGG-Con for delivery :( I almost gave the guy an extra tenner and told him to throw it in the mail.

Game would have been *perfect* for Walking Dead tonight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
Space Hulk is always hard on the marines. Need expansion that somehow lets you play a Xenos mode though :D
Hey BM we played a learning game of Voltron and really enjoyed it. Thinking about getting a nice set together for the holidays when more friends and family are over. Posted this on BGG but I figured you'd be a better source:
-Cost not really an issue.
-Already have Voltron, which I just got and am really starting to like quite a bit in just a day of play, leading to my desire for MORE.
-Thinking about 2P Battle Box.
-Really need a set that is conducive to playing with new people and doesn't require any metagame-type knowledge, or even any drafting, just here's your army here's mine let's go. (Or, conversely, pick one of these armies but they're all pretty equal anyway so just pick the coolest.)
-Would love to have cool buildings and monsters; game is just gorgeous.
-Going off that, lots of armies is great as long as their is some sensible way to keep them segregated that doesn't go against the condition above re metagaming.

The new 2 player battle boxes are good deals since it comes with everything for 2 players and 2 complete force.

Sticking with the 2 player box set is a perfect first step though and if you really enjoy it, then perhaps buy singles to create new armies to mess around with, or simply buy more figs to add onto the armies you get in the starters.

You can see the different armies and all of their figs here: http://www.monsterpocalypse.com/gallery

I originally had a bit of everything since I was running events for our former store but now don't play as much and sold off most off my extras and basically kept a Martian and Cthul army.

If you can find them, the map packs add alot to the game as well, the first pack was the best as it came with an exclusive building and 3 double sided maps so that was 6 different playgrounds to mess around with. The first couple strategy guides you can get cheap usually online and the first 1 or 2 came with maps as well. They also had extra rule stuff, scenarios, and some solo play modes I believe.

Game plays well with faction purity, though at higher tourny play you do get people mixing stuff together but thats usually for the hardcore metagamer types, most people I've met and even at tournies I ran never mixed factions outside of tag team games.

Shoogoo

Anybody ever bought from iconusa.com? Their prices are interesting but the website sucks a bit :D

edit: nevermind, it was my connection who was acting up badly. Still, my question remains, anybody bought something there? No Paypal :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fyi, miniaturemarket has a $10 off $100 sale today. these guys probably have the best prices out there. just picked up a nice monpoc set, but they also have pretty much every big board game

code is GENC59

AstroLad said:
fyi, miniaturemarket has a $10 off $100 sale today. these guys probably have the best prices out there. just picked up a nice monpoc set, but they also have pretty much every big board game

code is GENC59

Thanks! Do you know if these stack? ie. $20 off $200? I almost always buy from them or B&B but didn't receive any mail regarding this offer. My only complain with them is that they don't use packaging peanuts and they don't carry Carson City :p

EDIT: Just checked, they don't

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BomberMouse said:
Thanks! Do you know if these stack? ie. $20 off $200? I almost always buy from them or B&B but didn't receive any mail regarding this offer. My only complain with them is that they don't use packaging peanuts and they don't carry Carson City :p

EDIT: Just checked, they don't
No, but you can make two orders I think. My last order with them was really nicely packaged, each item had this air bubble wrap stuff around it.

Played some Dominion last night.

One of the things that I still like about the game is the way I can see what should be a killer combo, and try to make it happen (with mixed results).

Last night I saw the Bridge (one of my favorite cards!) and the Ironworks both on the board. I thought to myself, "it'd be sweet if I could get a bridge out before an ironworks, and use it to grab a card costing five instead of four..." Then I saw a mining village, with the +2 actions to make it happen.

I was hoping to be able to get some duchies (then dukes, also out!) and maybe even a gold or two (double bridge before ironworks :-D), but I didn't have as much luck with it as I hoped (it netted me one duchy). I blame my wife's stupid saboteur :(

StoOgE

Man,

Those Monsterpocolypse Mini's look pretty damned awesome. Price is pretty good for the quality as well.

Is the game itself fun? What would you compare it to on the board game side?

Also, any thoughts on Heroclix or the Star Wars mini games?

I love DC comics and wouldn't mind a game where I can be Hal Jordan and take on the Sinestro Corps if the game is fun. Star Wars mini's look pretty nice as well assuming I could limit it to OG Star Wars trilogy.

Oh snap, there are Lovecraft Monsterpocalypse pieces.

Heroclix is a very simple battle game, most of the people I know who enjoy and play it are the hardcore comic book fans, not really the regular gamer types. I never was a fan of the clix games so I can't give a fair assessment outside of the figures being pretty awful.

Star Wars minis was a fun game, but it's a game thats no longer supported as WotC did not renew the license for SW games. The figs are still in demand and worth good money. Simple game that is largely about making armies as creating unique ability combos more than anything as the combat itself is very simple affair. I have a huge collection of the stuff being a fanboy, but I mainly have it for use with the Star Wars roleplaying game. The mini game is a streamlined version of the D20 rpg system that focuses on pure combat play.

Monsterpocalypse is pretty fun, it has a unique battle system that I really can't compare to anything I've played in either board game or miniature war gaming. It feels like a hybrid mini/board game. It's all about Kaiju battles and it does a great job at it. You can pick up enemy monsters and toss them through buildings, slam enemy tanks aside, swat helicopters into each other, etc. Game is focused on destroying you're opponents monster while the rest of the force is made up of the smaller grunt units who die very easy, but they respawn each turn. Game is heave on placement strategy because one bad placement of your forces and you can get pounded on hard. Each faction usually has it's unique traits as well.

Neverfade

If you like RFTG, I think you're going to enjoy 51st State. The mechanics are plenty different and theres a lot of shit that's going to confuse people, but it comes off with a very similar feel to the whole process.

I like the draft. You wonder who would pass up a great card, only to later realize each faction can utilize different cards with varying efficiency.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Good news about 51st State neverfade. Looking forward to trying it out.

StoOgE said:
Man,

Those Monsterpocolypse Mini's look pretty damned awesome. Price is pretty good for the quality as well.

Is the game itself fun? What would you compare it to on the board game side?

Also, any thoughts on Heroclix or the Star Wars mini games?

I love DC comics and wouldn't mind a game where I can be Hal Jordan and take on the Sinestro Corps if the game is fun. Star Wars mini's look pretty nice as well assuming I could limit it to OG Star Wars trilogy.

Oh snap, there are Lovecraft Monsterpocalypse pieces.
You should really check out Voltron. For 25 bucks it is a steal. The minis are absolutely amazing and (the clincher for me) beautifully pre-painted. You get one big Voltron and Lo-Tron and a bunch of little minis that have nice detail to them too. The only thing that threw me is that the "board" is a big poster fold-out basically rather than a hard board, but it's nice and glossy at least. The tutorial game was fun and I can't wait to dig in more. There is definitely a lot of depth there -- manual is like 20 detailed pages but it's one of the best manuals I've read recently in terms of teaching a fairly complex game. Game right now to me feels like a tactical rpg with awesome components and I love that both Voltron and the starter pack (which I just ordered today) are self-contained so I don't have to mess with any of the meta stuff or set building that I would never have time for.

StoOgE

Yeah, after LNOE I am looking for some fun stupid dice rolling action.

Heroscape's theme just does nothing for me at all. Dragon's vs Spiderman was last appealing when I was 9.

Heroclix is nice because I can create epic DC battles, but looking at some vids, the game seems *really* simple.

I may have to play a round of Monsterpocalypse at BGG-Con to get a feel for it.

Heroscape is also pretty crappy game all around. It's like the most simple of simple miniature games. The only cool thing is the tile sets that the game boxes come with, as they work for many other games like Battletech. I tossed all my Heroscape figs long ago, but got a big box of the tiles still :lol

Don't see anything unbalanced about LNOE, it plays out differently each time and it's often a luck factor of card draws and what heroes you randomly get dealt for the scenario.

The only "unbalanced" thing was the Deadly Weapons expansion, really for the zombie side, that set sucked as the deadly weapon cards for zombies are pretty weak compared to the new cards the survivors get, which are very powerful.

StoOgE

Has anyone here played pitchcar mini?

I've played Pitchcar a few times and I love it as a stupid party game.. but my condo is pretty small and my kitchen table is only a 4' diameter circle which makes it pretty well impossible to set up pitchcar. I'm going to get a 4' by 4' square table with leaves that make it 4' x 6' which is probably still too small. I was thinking pitchar mini might be better, but I want to make sure the game is as good as it's big brother.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
Don't see anything unbalanced about LNOE, it plays out differently each time and it's often a luck factor of card draws and what heroes you randomly get dealt for the scenario.

The only "unbalanced" thing was the Deadly Weapons expansion, really for the zombie side, that set sucked as the deadly weapon cards for zombies are pretty weak compared to the new cards the survivors get, which are very powerful.
It's probably more a matter of theme takes precedence over gameplay . . . but it totally works. We played the Get to the Truck scenario last night and it was absolutely amazing. By the end we commented on how it almost felt like a completely scripted game and set of card draws made to feel like a zombie movie. Game included heroes turning into zombie heroes, a hero saying "There's no time, leave it!" to keys that could have been used for escape, and a last-turn mad dash that involved a detective finally finding rusty keys, throwing them to the farmer's daughter, but then being completely surrounded by zombies and unable to escape (literally being one turn away from escape).

Neverfade

I'm with Astro. Unbalanced.

Doesn't mean its not fun, but a scenario certainly can be unbalanced.

Get to the Truck. One person gets Jenny & Jake. My character gets gasoline for not having a starting space.

Zombies stood no chance.

Call it luck of the draw if you wish, I call it poor scenario design. The others are much better.

Neverfade

StoOgE said:
Has anyone here played pitchcar mini?

I've played Pitchcar a few times and I love it as a stupid party game.. but my condo is pretty small and my kitchen table is only a 4' diameter circle which makes it pretty well impossible to set up pitchcar. I'm going to get a 4' by 4' square table with leaves that make it 4' x 6' which is probably still too small. I was thinking pitchar mini might be better, but I want to make sure the game is as good as it's big brother.

Crokinole is your answer, good sir! :D

It's more luck than balance. Unbalance game is one where it generally favors a specific player or you start off on equal footing but it always go in the same direction each time. Space Hulk is an example of a game that is unbalanced in favor of the Xenos player, though many will say it's intentional and as the rules state both players swap player sides.

Any thematic game that involves players starting not on the same footing, will seem unbalanced to hardcore euro gamers.

I would not call a game unbalanced because of a single scenario with a specific random selection being made.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I really didn't like LNOE my first go-round with it. It wasn't a failure or anything, just not a huge hit so it collected dust for nearly a year. But that's the great thing about board games, you can bust out years-old ones and feel like you haven't missed a beat. I think all of us knowing the rules better this time really helped. For a modestly light game, it does have a lot of moving parts to keep track of and some occasionally tough rules decisions. Get 5+ Remains in Play cards out and I almost want a DM like I do for AH sometimes.

Neverfade

I personally want a really great zombie "gamer's" game. LNOE scratches an itch, but not the one I'd like scratched most of the time.

Although, I've not played All Things Zombie or that Zombie Diplomacy (forget the name) game.

Edit: BTW, another play of 51st State last night. This one was a bit more involved and reeeally ended up being multiplayer solitaire as there was just gobs of shit to track. I didn't have time to see what the other person was doing. I'm going to need several more plays, this time with 3 and 4 players before I can really decide if I like this enough to edge out RFTG...

fenners

Thanks to someone at work clearing out their attic & offering the findings to the scavengers in the office, I'm getting a pile of Car Wars books & Autoduel magazines, and an old copy of Nuclear War + its expansions. Score!

And on the subject of LNOE, I think it scratches that zombie itch nicely too. Some scenarios are unbalanced in that the rules of the game can be exploited to swing the balance in one direction, but I don't think that's a slam or a knock against the game/system.

I almost put my copy up for sale on BGG & decided to keep it even if it doesn't get much play because it's just fun with the right people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom