• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverfade

Roads & Boats + &cetera has shipped.

This one's been hyped up a lot by a buddy. Hopefully worth the investment!

Also threw Thebes: The Tomb Raiders in there. Seems like a cool little game the wifey will play but will go up to 4 players.

I saw the constructed ships on display at a store once and thought it looked really cool. I love the cardboard ships you put together yourself. I looked it up after, but I gave up on the idea after seeing that it was a short-lived and discontinued thing.

Yeah, sadly I believe that WizKids was bought by a company that didn't have interest in continuing it. I got in to it when I found the packs for $.99 a piece at Target. I then went to every target in town to see if they had any more, haha.

I recently bought a box online for $20 for about 14 ships. That pack has shot up to $28 in the week since. Some of the series are still available at acceptable prices, while some seem pretty rare.

mercviper

So many kickstarters coming to fruition for me this month. I got Repulique and Banner Saga earlier, and today I just picked up my Belfort the Expansion expansion, Eminent Domain (Escalation comes in tomorrow) and Heroes' Tale. :O

daevv

So many kickstarters coming to fruition for me this month. I got Repulique and Banner Saga earlier, and today I just picked up my Belfort the Expansion expansion, Eminent Domain (Escalation comes in tomorrow) and Heroes' Tale. :O

That's a good haul. I'm still waiting on two that have been delayed for months. Dungeon Dice and Berserk: War of the Realms. Neither of which I'm excited for anymore. Dungeon Dice is just a dice game that I think Dungeon Roll or Zogar's Gaze has filled right now in the group. Berserk is 2 player only which means it's a dust collector in our group (ie Netrunner). Doesn't help that many backers of Berserk are getting the game with some or all miscut cards. :(

I haven't backed much other than the Dungeon Roll expansion pack and Coin Age. Both were pay what you want ($5). I almost backed the Mega Man one when it hit the painted minis level but the gameplay vid didn't do much for me.

Been playing Mage Knight solo and liking it alot! Still a ways to go before I can play without looking at the rulebook every few mins.

Quick Question: Anyone here going to Gen Con this year? A few friends went last year and I couldn't go. I may go with them this year. Could have a GAF meetup.

Blizzard

Banned
I just picked up Libertalia! Very excited to give it a try.
Libertalia seems confusing to people at first, but once they play a few ingame days, it becomes easy to pick up because everything happens exactly the same way each day.

It's my favorite pirate-themed game and actually seems pretty balanced scorewise in my experience (say, three players all with scores in the 80-85 range or whatever). I like that each game is a bit different with which cards get used, and how people can have different combo strategies by saving cards for the later weeks.

The main downside for me was that we ran into several situations where the rules didn't seem to PRECISELY specify how certain things worked, so I ended up checking boardgamegeek like 5 times and made a handwritten sheet of fiddly rule notes to keep with the game. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Libertalia seems confusing to people at first, but once they play a few ingame days, it becomes easy to pick up because everything happens exactly the same way each day.

It's my favorite pirate-themed game and actually seems pretty balanced scorewise in my experience (say, three players all with scores in the 80-85 range or whatever). I like that each game is a bit different with which cards get used, and how people can have different combo strategies by saving cards for the later weeks.

The main downside for me was that we ran into several situations where the rules didn't seem to PRECISELY specify how certain things worked, so I ended up checking boardgamegeek like 5 times and made a handwritten sheet of fiddly rule notes to keep with the game. :p
Do you play Topman bonus pays out on ties even? We play no since I think per BGG it sounds like the designer thinks no but some random demo person at a convention thinks yes. For some reason I think BGG has gone with the latter interpretation.

Neverfade

I really hate kickstarter, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to resist backing Fief. Even if they hit no more stretch goals (they will), its already a pretty crazy value as far as so-much-shit-in-the-box goes. Some updated rules might push me over the edge.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I really hate kickstarter, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to resist backing Fief. Even if they hit no more stretch goals (they will), its already a pretty crazy value as far as so-much-shit-in-the-box goes. Some updated rules might push me over the edge.

Yeah, it is very tempting, so much value. I'm not sure about the gameplay though? Is it fun? Can it lay well with 3 players only?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Aw bummer that the ships aren't great. I'm getting them in this week and will likely be firing up some Eclipse next week finally.

How much is going to be exclusive? Because if you wait a few weeks/months after release it will probably be heavily discounted on cool stuff either way.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fief looks great, but I think it's the same thing with all Academy Games for me, which is I'll never find the time or right group to play them. :p

Neverfade

How much is going to be exclusive? Because if you wait a few weeks/months after release it will probably be heavily discounted on cool stuff either way.

Check this stretch list: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/550/014/4f3a079cc1f4e056c5b82c42c7491f04_large.jpg?1390353033

Everything with a "K" next to it is free for kickstarters and is $65(!) bucks for the bundle after the fact. Kickstarting it will still be cheaper if I wanted all that (and I do).

Phthisis

Math trades can be awesome. Hope you like Civilization!

I love it, which is why I wanted it ;) My gf owns it, too.

Neverfade said:

Academy Games titles have some of the best production values. I literally backed it the moment I read "shared victory" on the page (I'm such a sucker for asymmetrical gameplay). Seems like a board game version of Crusader Kings. I am all over it.

I had to back Fief. It sort of reminds me of Virgin Queen light, which is a good thing. VQ is an amazing game, but so goddamn long that it takes at least a month of scheduling in advance to play it. Being able to play a roughly stripped down version of that game, played in a few hours instead of a day, is something I need.

sneaky77

Do they have a how it to play for fief video? I looked at their kickstarter a bit ago and didn't see anything but it was a busy page

Blizzard

Banned
Do you play Topman bonus pays out on ties even? We play no since I think per BGG it sounds like the designer thinks no but some random demo person at a convention thinks yes. For some reason I think BGG has gone with the latter interpretation.
I'll have to find my sheet, but I suspect I went with the French FAQ from this site:

http://fr.marabunta-games.com/?p=598

I don't know if the site is associated with the developers of the games or not.

The boatswain makes you win 5 duplicates if you're "the player with the fewest characters in his lair." If two or more players are in this case, no one can be "the player with the least amount of characters in his den" and therefore nobody wins 5 duplicates.

One might argue that it says "player" instead of "players" and that's in favor of this interpretation. I think it's a reasonable way to play and as long as I have it written down no one should have a big problem with it.

221b Baker Street, a Sherlock Holmes "deduction" game, is god awful compared to Sherlock: Consulting Detective.

Forget the fact that it involves die rolling, but what's lame is being able to solve the crime because you were lucky enough to hit the right locations on the board before the other player did. For example, one of the cases involved descrambling a coded message, and the clues to breaking the code are spread out across the board. I was lucky enough to decide to go one way on the board, while my opponent opted to venture the opposite way. I ended up finding all the right clues because I randomly inspected two areas that were totally unrelated to the particulars of the case.

The cases are laughably easy. Some of the clues virtually solve the entire case for you. For example, you'll find a clue that says, "The killer's last name rhymes with TOWN." And since one of the persons of interest is named Mr. Brown, who was mentioned on the case card, you'd automatically suspect him and 99% of the time you'd be right.

The game pieces are also very cheap.

I would not recommend this game at all.

Phthisis

Had a ridiculously epic game of Darkest Night tonight, with a human player Necromancer. Darkness was up to 21, we finally found three keys to get a holy relic. Gathered in one spot, Necromancer spotted us and moved to us, spawned 3 blights. On our final turn, we each somehow managed to kill a blight (leaving the Necromancer undefended), and the final attack by our Crusader with some bonus dice yielded a single 6. Evil vanquished.

I have a question about Star Wars The Card Game. How do you guys go about deck building? Do I just pick whatever objectives look good/work together or are the individual cards in the set are what important?

Lot of Star Wars is about building themes with your decks, so you want to try and probably build around one of them. One of the things you want to keep in mind besides the general field play, is the whole fate battle aspect as it's one of the most vital parts of the game. Certain objective sets will be more helpful than others with fate cards, as some have very little impact on fate battles. Don't take a bunch of objective sets that have few to no fate cards.

You also want to build to the faction strengths. For the light side, you kind of have to build around sneaky attacks or attacking quick, as your essentially on a timer. Dark side on the other hand can build more defensive and slower turtle style decks, though they can also build aggressive. Harder for the light side to play in a passive role, though they have lot of good cards for quick plays and tricks. Ackbar for example is one of my favorite light side cards, literally it's a trap.

Lot of Star Wars is about building themes with your decks, so you want to try and probably build around one of them. One of the things you want to keep in mind besides the general field play, is the whole fate battle aspect as it's one of the most vital parts of the game. Certain objective sets will be more helpful than others with fate cards, as some have very little impact on fate battles. Don't take a bunch of objective sets that have few to no fate cards.

You also want to build to the faction strengths. For the light side, you kind of have to build around sneaky attacks or attacking quick, as your essentially on a timer. Dark side on the other hand can build more defensive and slower turtle style decks, though they can also build aggressive. Harder for the light side to play in a passive role, though they have lot of good cards for quick plays and tricks. Ackbar for example is one of my favorite light side cards, literally it's a trap.
Awesome, thanks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think I've said it before but SW:LCG is really cool. Too bad I only have room for one LCG in my life because that one is a ton of fun. And different enough from Netrunner that if I had time I would be happy to play both.

Xater

I think I've said it before but SW:LCG is really cool. Too bad I only have room for one LCG in my life because that one is a ton of fun. And different enough from Netrunner that if I had time I would be happy to play both.

I tried it out before and really didn't enjoy it. I get the Netrunner appeal but that game did nothing for me. I only think the deck building aspect of it is interesting.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I tried it out before and really didn't enjoy it. I get the Netrunner appeal but that game did nothing for me. I only think the deck building aspect of it is interesting.

The mechanics are quite interesting. How many games of it did you play?

Found SWLCG to be really unique, was surprised after they essentially redid the game from it's original coop concept to a 1 on 1 competitive game. But they pulled off a nice smooth game system that focuses heavily on theme. The combat system is really neat with a huge amount of bluffing and gambling also involved.

Still waiting to try the semi coop mode stuff that recently came out for it, haven't pulled it out for the group.

And we did a bunch of Ghost Stories today. Fuck you game, fuck you.

ultron87

Just played like 8 games of Two Rooms and a Boom with 11 people. It is really incredible. You don't even need to print stuff, just some playing cards.

Not the hardest decisions to make or anything and it is kind of random, but the pure idea of splitting your whole party into two rooms is really fantastic.

Also, Libertalia is really fun too, but should be played at the start of the night.

Neverfade

Playing cards!

Brilliant. I'd been thinking of a way to play this in the interim until its release.

Did you add roles? And if so, how did you handle that?

Just played like 8 games of Two Rooms and a Boom with 11 people. It is really incredible. You don't even need to print stuff, just some playing cards.

Not the hardest decisions to make or anything and it is kind of random, but the pure idea of splitting your whole party into two rooms is really fantastic.

Also, Libertalia is really fun too, but should be played at the start of the night.

I was thinking of backing this when I saw it on kickstarter. All the roles looked too confusing and it scared me off. I guess it's probably something you need to play first to see if you like it. The 2 rooms interested me.

ultron87

Playing cards!

Brilliant. I'd been thinking of a way to play this in the interim until its release.

Did you add roles? And if so, how did you handle that?

I was thinking of backing this when I saw it on kickstarter. All the roles looked too confusing and it scared me off. I guess it's probably something you need to play first to see if you like it. The 2 rooms interested me.

We just played with the basic roles: president, bomber, and gambler (since it was an odd number of people). That was plenty fun just as the base game. Also I didn't remember any other roles off the top of my head.

We had the gambler as a joker and the president and bomber as the 9 of hearts and spades respectively with the other numbers being the rest of each team. Using the number cards was important because you could just show one of the corners to show that you were on the red or black team, but not if you were the president or bomber. The first time we tried with the aces being the special cards and that made it so you couldn't color reveal, which was a noticeable issue.

For the next time I wanna actually print out the print and play version and sleeve it up. Will just pick the roles that sound interesting instead of all 100 of them or whatever crazy number there are.

zeeaykay

First comic books, now board games. 24 and single is not time I should be turning into a huge nerd, but what can you do.

I picked up the Game of Thrones board game (2nd ED) a year back since me and my friends are huge fans. We've probably played like 7 times, and every time it's better than the last. It was definitely the most complicated thing I've played, but once we got the hang of it, it was smooth as butter.

This weekend, I got the itch, and walked into the game store with my buddy and picked up Descent on a whim. I'm a sucker for good production values. I was only able to play it with me and my buddy this weekend (I played as two heroes, him as the overlord), but I am already looking forward to playing again with a full 5 person group. I can see how this stuff would get addictive, it really is a blast.

I'm hoping to rope a few friends into a weekly thing, a few of us have definitely grown out of and/or were never really into the bar scene, so it shouldn't be too tough. A couple of my other friends will take a bit of convincing, but I think a couple of good rounds of Descent could do the trick!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
First comic books, now board games. 24 and single is not time I should be turning into a huge nerd, but what can you do.

I picked up the Game of Thrones board game (2nd ED) a year back since me and my friends are huge fans. We've probably played like 7 times, and every time it's better than the last. It was definitely the most complicated thing I've played, but once we got the hang of it, it was smooth as butter.

This weekend, I got the itch, and walked into the game store with my buddy and picked up Descent on a whim. I'm a sucker for good production values. I was only able to play it with me and my buddy this weekend (I played as two heroes, him as the overlord), but I am already looking forward to playing again with a full 5 person group. I can see how this stuff would get addictive, it really is a blast.

I'm hoping to rope a few friends into a weekly thing, a few of us have definitely grown out of and/or were never really into the bar scene, so it shouldn't be too tough. A couple of my other friends will take a bit of convincing, but I think a couple of good rounds of Descent could do the trick!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with turning into a boardgame nerd. If you get lucky and find a group of friends that are similarly into it, it can be one of the most rewarding hobbies I can imagine/I have. So much more fun as a group activity than just drinking/video games/whatever.

Phthisis

If you like GoT, I highly recommend the Feast for Crows expansion. It's only 4 players, but adds a new objective mechanic that, IMO, should have been in the original game. To me, the FfC expansion is the definitive way to play.

Xater

There's absolutely nothing wrong with turning into a boardgame nerd. If you get lucky and find a group of friends that are similarly into it, it can be one of the most rewarding hobbies I can imagine/I have. So much more fun as a group activity than just drinking/video games/whatever.

Yeah I used to play video games with friends but board games are much better as a get together. Also more people are into those.

zeeaykay

If you like GoT, I highly recommend the Feast for Crows expansion. It's only 4 players, but adds a new objective mechanic that, IMO, should have been in the original game. To me, the FfC expansion is the definitive way to play.

Whoa, thank you so much for the suggestion. I've had plenty of times where we've had four players and had to make due when it was obviously unbalanced. This will help so much, I didn't even know there were expansions. Thanks man!

When I was 23 and single, I stayed at work one night for board game night, and ended up meeting my wife, so you never know. We might play Suburbia tonight!

fallout

When I was 23 and single, I stayed at work one night for board game night, and ended up meeting my wife, so you never know. We might play Suburbia tonight!
Board games are how I started hanging out with and eventually started dating my fiancee. They can be a great way to meet and hang out with people.

Phthisis

Whoa, thank you so much for the suggestion. I've had plenty of times where we've had four players and had to make due when it was obviously unbalanced. This will help so much, I didn't even know there were expansions. Thanks man!

Yep. There's also a Dance With Dragons expansion with a variable setup (it's based on the situation at the beginning of Dance) and a brand new set of House cards (different characters) for each House. Just be warned, if you or people in your group have not read ADWD, it does contain spoilers.

Neverfade

Me and the fiancee played Thebes: Tomb Raiders tonight.

As far as 2 player games go, this one is pretty solid. I've not played Thebes proper, but it looks like this boils down all the extraneous stuff that never really got me excited about the board game version and made a nice streamlined card game where you're trying to outmaneuver everyone else for the right cards, pressing your luck for when you should go on excavations, and fighting over majority control of excavation knowledge. Thumbs up.

Dreavus

Finally got my copy of Devastation of Indines sleeved and got a few games in with a friend. The game plays very well as just a basic 2 player duel, and I am now wondering when the hell I will get the chance to play all the other modes that come with the game.

The characters we've tried so far have all felt very different, even though everyone shares 6 "base" cards as part of the mechanics. The system of pairing two parts of an attack together (character-unique styles + "generic" base) seems to work quite well, although we have only scratched the surface of the game so far.

I can't wait to try some 2v2!

Karkador

Banned
I tried out Firefly: Out to the Black tonight. I thought this game was an expansion to the big board game, but it's actually a smaller co-op card game where you take on jobs with other crew members and try to pass strength/piloting/intelligence checks by working together.

So with that said, I have a rant.

Damn it, game designers, stop thinking that having hidden information in a co-op game is in any way fun or sensible. Keeping a hand of cards secret from other players in a co-op game, who have absolutely no reason to double-cross you, is silly. Writing rules like "you can't show your hand of cards to anyone, but you can talk about them" is like asking players to be forcefully obtuse.

This Firefly game goes as far as to make you play some cards face-down...yes, because we're totally interested in bluffing and playing mind games with people who we're trying to work with.

Co-op games are supposed to be about solving problems with others. If your co-op game breaks or is too easy because players are sharing information, you need to perhaps design a better game.

Dreavus

I tried out Firefly: Out to the Black tonight. I thought this game was an expansion to the big board game, but it's actually a smaller co-op card game where you take on jobs with other crew members and try to pass strength/piloting/intelligence checks by working together.

So with that said, I have a rant.

Damn it, game designers, stop thinking that having hidden information in a co-op game is in any way fun or sensible. Keeping a hand of cards secret from other players in a co-op game, who have absolutely no reason to double-cross you, is silly. Writing rules like "you can't show your hand of cards to anyone, but you can talk about them" is like asking players to be forcefully obtuse.

This Firefly game goes as far as to make you play some cards face-down...yes, because we're totally interested in bluffing and playing mind games with people who we're trying to work with.

Co-op games are supposed to be about solving problems with others. If your co-op game breaks or is too easy because players are sharing information, you need to perhaps design a better game.

I agree with you 100%. Bonus negative points for ones that say "you can discuss it and say what you're going to do, but you can't be specific" because the instant you do that you open the door for your intent to get across anyways, and then the whole rule is pointless. It's not possible to draw a communication line like that. Sirlin wrote about this in the first half of this preview for one of his other games, and brings up some good points, but it is more referencing team games that include "fuzzy rules" like this. (He also admits "pure co-op" games that aren't "team vs one" or don't have a traitor need a solution)

This is especially ridiculous in another co-op game I've tried called "Space Hulk: Death Angel", where you "can't be specific" or show the card you're playing for the turn, but everyone only has 3 card types to choose from - Attack, Support, and Move. If you say "I'm going to attack" there's really not anything else you can add if you wanted to!

I think one of the reasons they may have the rule is to maintain a quota of individual player agency, so that one person doesn't take over and tell everyone what to do. My response would be that it depends on the personality of those who are playing the game. It doesn't seem like something that needs to be "written in" for the sake of giving everyone a piece of the "action".

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm in the vast minority but I actually don't mind that rule in Pandemic at all (not being able to just have your cards in the open). Bonus points because it seems that most times where I am playing with people whining about the rule they wind up misplaying at some point because of poor communication. Thematically delicious ironing.

I like the no showing cards rule, I don't find it lazy at all, the whole point of such rule is to prevent players from being lazy. In any game where players don't have to hide any info and it's coop, often you have players who just do not actually play the game, they sit there and the groups big talker ends up playing the game for them instead. The whole point is to simply promote actual participation from all players, it's not about creating some kind of secret table fighting or to make the game harder at all. I've seen it many times where players in coop games just let others play the game for them, so I see no problem with rules that promote communication and participation.

If you don't like it, then just play the game with all info public, the rule police are not going to knock down your door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom