• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Was thinking of picking up Race for the Galaxy. Thoughts? Mostly would play it as a 4 player game.
It seemed like it would work quite well as a 3 or 4 player game to me. There are a lot of symbols to absorb the first time, even with the cheat sheets, but it should go better after that.

I really like the art on the cards.

Zalasta

Was thinking of picking up Race for the Galaxy. Thoughts? Mostly would play it as a 4 player game.

Only if you play with people that doesn't get turned off easily by a steep learning curve. As other people have mentioned, the symbols take a while to learn and grasp the concept.

As an alternative, I would suggest Eminent Domain. Similar in a many ways but much more accessible.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Only if you play with people that doesn't get turned off easily by a steep learning curve. As other people have mentioned, the symbols take a while to learn and grasp the concept.

As an alternative, I would suggest Eminent Domain. Similar in a many ways but much more accessible.

I don't think the learning curve is nearly as steep as people say. My wife has a fairly short attention span when it comes to rules and such and she picked it up quite quickly.

The cheat sheets are quite good.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That looks pretty good. More up my alley. I LOVE miniatures; but not miniature GAMES. I need tiles or boards. Something a little more concrete with my groups as they're mostly newbs and friends (with a sprinkle of tabletop vets).

Played my first game of Red Devils with a buddy last night. Took a few rounds to wrap our heads around the system, but once we got going we got through the rounds a lot faster. Most of the info you need is on the cards and board, which is nice. The card driven play is really fun allowing for some interesting tactics. I imagine if you get expansions for bigger maps and use more soldiers things could get really interesting, This is the first game I played having to measure and I got a lot faster as we played. I think it is the type of game that a person could play it solo pretty easy in fact the first scenario in the game has rules for solo play.

I'm lucky that with this game and Tide of Iron I have one buddy who loves these type of games.

Icefire1424

Played my first game of Red Devils with a buddy last night. Took a few rounds to wrap our heads around the system, but once we got going we got through the rounds a lot faster. Most of the info you need is on the cards and board, which is nice. The card driven play is really fun allowing for some interesting tactics. I imagine if you get expansions for bigger maps and use more soldiers things could get really interesting, This is the first game I played having to measure and I got a lot faster as we played. I think it is the type of game that a person could play it solo pretty easy in fact the first scenario in the game has rules for solo play.

I'm lucky that with this game and Tide of Iron I have one buddy who loves these type of games.

This is sparking my interest as a good middle ground between M44 and Flames of War. Really wanted to get into FoW, but time and money requirements a bit to steep for now.

Keep weighing in as you play more, really interested. Looks like you can only get it from the manufacturers site for the moment?

Absolutely love RFTG. It takes a while to get a hang of the game (probably because of all of the card symbols and the perceived randomness of the game itself), but once you figure it out, the gameplay is very rewarding. I mostly play with one other person though, and the mechanics of the two-person game changes the dynamic of role-choosing.

I haven't played race much as a 4 player game but it's a solid 2, 3 and 5 player game so I imagine 4 would be just fine.

It's a lot like purto rico, except if you know what you are doing (aka don't have to look up symbols) can be played in 30-45 min.

the game is broken up to multiple actions you can take each turn, unlike purto rico everyone selects their action at the same time, thus you can have overlapping actions, the end result of every player that choose that action gets a bonus, while everyone else just takes that action in the order of actions.

your action choices are explore (which happens first) which allows you to get some more cards (which is important as cards are not only what you play, but what you use to pay for other cards) the bonus for selecting this action is either seeing more cards to choose from or taking more cards, you choose by selecting one of two action cards for this action.

develop (in order action 2) which allows you to play certain types of cards by paying their costs (they typically are point scoring cards or cards that give you bonuses while playing other cards or taking other actions) the bonus for this action is simple, reduce the cost to play by 1.

settle (action 3) this phase you place planets, these things can really do anything, but the big thing they can do is get goods on them to sell for cards or points in a later phase. the bonus for playing this one is you draw a card after placing your planet.

consume (trade) with this action you first are able to trade a single good from a plant at a predetermined rate of trade (plus any bonuses you have from developments and planets) this often can get you way more cards then exploring would. This is actually a special action only available to the person that took the consume trade card which will still trigger the normal consume phase.

consume (action 4) you sell all of your goods that you can. Planets and developments have actions that allow you to sell the goods for points thus you resolve as many as you can, you get to choose the order though so if you want to keep some goods around and use up certain consumes up first so you can you can do that. There is a second consume card aside from trade that allows you to get double points.

finally the last action is produce... this one just puts more goods on your planets that support them. Those come in two flavors though, normal worlds that get goods, which all of them will get goods if anyone plays a produce action, and windfall worlds which only get goods if you choose produce (but come in play with one on them)... there are some cards that allow you to place goods on windfall worlds with the produce action merely being taken.

With the basic actions taken care of how the gameplay progresses is you just take actions and work on developing, settling, and consuming stuff to get the most points (each of the cards that you play have a point value) the way you end the game is someone gets 10 (or maybe 12... I can't remember which right now lol) cards in front of them or you run out of points (you use a set number based on how many players) to give people from trading.

Personally I really enjoy the game. There are a number of different ways you can win. There are also a number of expansions that alter the gameplay a decent amount (not all of the expansions play well with each other though as the newest one won't play with the older 3 at all) it should also be noted the base game only supports 4 players, it's not until you get any expansion that it supports 5.

It's hard to recommend race to people who can't remember symbols or don't like having a long explanation before a game... once you get the game down though it's very easy to remember and see how things play together. If you don't mind that though, and like the idea of a quick easy to set up resource management game it's really solid.

note: the cards you get are all randomly drawn from a deck... this doesn't mean the game is luck based as you will see enough cards to pick and choose in general... though if you hate the idea of taking from a random deck there is always draft rules in the rule book that would allow you to draft your own deck.

I think that should give you an idea about race :p

Thanks guys. I went and picked it up. Looking forward to it!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This is sparking my interest as a good middle ground between M44 and Flames of War. Really wanted to get into FoW, but time and money requirements a bit to steep for now.

Keep weighing in as you play more, really interested. Looks like you can only get it from the manufacturers site for the moment?

Yeah, I think there is only the rare retailer that may have it. They don't really keep stock and just build what they need as it is needed so nothing really goes out of print. Love that when you get more soldiers that they are unique to you. It isn't a very cheap game, but I love the quality and painted mini's. I will try to put up some more pics later.

The D-Day Sergeants Kickstarter should ship in June. Really excited about that, especially since it is lower cost version of the mini's game. Hopefully for people that didn't get on the Kickstarter will be able to pick it up shortly after. Great value with that, you get 26 soldiers, 48 map tiles and a ton of scenarios.

Li Kao

So I had the opportunity to play 2-player games of Ticket to ride and Ankh-Morpork yesterday. Turned out pretty good. Well, mixed, but I say it was pretty good so it was pretty good.
One thing that astonish me is the strange way people approach and learn rules. I was thinking that a brain-dead fish could understand Ticket to ride and it took me several tries to make her understand that the colors on the board are not linked to the colors of her meeples. And after that, I would say that a good 50% of the still simple but more convoluted Ankh-Morpork was understood immediately.

So yeah, Ticket to ride is one of these games that bore me to tears in digital format, and while I'm not rolling on the floor thinking about its physical version, it was definitely a fun time with a light game. Cool family game.

And Ankh-Morpork ? Well someone said it is a chaotic game and... totally. To the point that after one play session I can't even say if I think the game is good or not. But what I know is that I had a really good time playing it so...
The game seems to have lots of flaws at first though (even if I don't care about them, I had great fun) :
- The board is nice but really over-ornated (thanks internet dictionary), leading to some confusion.
- There seems to be an awful lot of luck with the card-driven mechanism and all. I was killing my opponent's meeples like a mass murderer and she could rarely put her hand on this type of cards.
- If it was a video game I would think of the building cards use as an UI flaw. There is nothing really pushing the player to remember to look at them and use them, leaving to many turns were the cards weren't used. So yeah, not a flaw of the game, a flaw of the user you say ? Mmh, yes. And no. I couldn't help remembering Last Will and its bonus cards on the player's own little board. In this case you would have to be, errh, really absent-minded to miss them. I know, not really comparable, and nit-picky. But still.

Mista Koo

So I played more than a few games the past few weeks but I've kept forgetting to post about them. I've bought Hanabi, Once Upon a Time and The Resistance
These were the highlights:
  • Hanabi: OMG this game is fantastic. At first we were playing with all sorts of communications. We'd ask other players for their opinions on what to give that one player, we'd ask players what are they going to play and we discuss what will happen on the few next turns.
    Today we played by the actual rules (no talking outside of pointing out the hints) and holy cow it's a totally different game and a better one. The fact that you can't say anything makes it so frustrating and intense. We managed to reach 20 (all time high) and actually establish a few strategies. Oh and we did add a house rule where you ask people about their cards and remind them of what they should know :p
  • Once Upon a Time: This game is so much fun. Sometimes I don't even want to win because I value the story more. It depends a lot on the players though and the stories can range from nice to nonsensical crap. I actually retconned a terrible play by a player before me as a hallucination spell :p
  • Ladies and Gentlemen: We played this (very sexist) game on valentine's eve with 10 players. The ladies were 4 guys and a girl, the gentlemen were 4 girls and a guy. Interestingly enough the guys team finished in first place and the girls team finished last :p I liked how asymmetrical the game is and I basically have no idea what game the gentlemen roles had.
The rest:
  • Illumanti: The rules made the game seem way harder than it actually is. By the time we understood the rules I didn't really wanna play it but I thought it would've been a waste since I already spent time on that.Two players dropped out soon afterwards anyway.
  • Pandemic: I already knew the game beforehand but it was nice to finally play it.
  • Pit: I loved how chaotic it is.
  • King of Tokyo: See Pandemic.
  • Set: Depends so much on experience, you can read the patterns way easier when you've played the game for a long time.
  • Spot It: A better partier alternative to Set, although more about identification than pattern recognition.
  • 7 Wonders: I realized I've really enjoyed 4 games made by this same designer.
  • Eldrich Horror: I wasn't really invested in the game and dropped out after a while. They lost but thankfully not because of me.
  • For sale: Fun simple game. Love the fact that the two phases are very different yet very related.

• Ladies and Gentlemen: We played this (very sexist) game on valentine's eve with 10 players. The ladies were 4 guys and a girl, the gentlemen were 4 girls and a guy. Interestingly enough the guys team finished in first place and the girls team finished last :p I liked how asymmetrical the game is and I basically have no idea what game the gentlemen roles had.
Did you play this the "Penny Arcade" way by putting the Ladies and Gentlemen at different tables? I haven't played it that way yet, but it's a brilliant way to play the game. I think what's funny about the game is how the Ladies side of the game is more involved and interesting. Something like shopping for an outfit for a party can be seen as a frivolous activity in real life is treated, in the game, with depth and strategy not seen on the other side of the table where the Gentlemen are doing "serious" business stuff. The Gentlemen's side is so simple and quite silly. All you are doing as a Gentlemen is flipping tiles to try to find commodities that will make you the most money. Interesting game and a lot of fun.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One thing that astonish me is the strange way people approach and learn rules. I was thinking that a brain-dead fish could understand Ticket to ride and it took me several tries to make her understand that the colors on the board are not linked to the colors of her meeples. And after that, I would say that a good 50% of the still simple but more convoluted Ankh-Morpork was understood immediately.

Yup -- I really just try to take a laid-back attitude to teaching games in terms of my expectations. It is beyond random what people will grok. And then there is a critical rule that I will literally repeat 5+ times throughout my teaching, only to have someone go "OHHHH, [rule], I didn't know that's how it worked!" 45m into our playsession. Just gotta be chill and take it in stride. :p

Angst

I've recently realized most people hate reading rules for a game and either just plays games they (think) they know the rules for already. I enjoy learning new games, so I'm pretty much the rules guy in our group.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've recently realized most people hate reading rules for a game and either just plays games they (think) they know the rules for already. I enjoy learning new games, so I'm pretty much the rules guy in our group.

Same. Also not a huge fan of the "no need to teach we'll just figure it out as we play" type. But different strokes.

Apenheul

My new personal high score for Agricola (3 players, basic deck) is now 41 points. I have no idea if that's considered high or low but it's the first time in my gaming group that someone had more than 40 points. I already thought of a couple of ways to get more points so I'll try again soon.

On Monday evening I'll be playing Battlestar Galactica at work with my colleagues, just the base game so it shouldn't take 4+ hours hopefully.

Mista Koo

Did you play this the "Penny Arcade" way by putting the Ladies and Gentlemen at different tables? I haven't played it that way yet, but it's a brilliant way to play the game. I think what's funny about the game is how the Ladies side of the game is more involved and interesting. Something like shopping for an outfit for a party can be seen as a frivolous activity in real life is treated, in the game, with depth and strategy not seen on the other side of the table where the Gentlemen are doing "serious" business stuff. The Gentlemen's side is so simple and quite silly. All you are doing as a Gentlemen is flipping tiles to try to find commodities that will make you the most money. Interesting game and a lot of fun.
No, we were on a long dining table and each "couple" were sitting on different sides of the table. But each side had no clue what the other is doing.
Me and another guy chose to be on the ladies side since it seemed more interesting, then everyone thought it would be interesting to play the opposite gender.

The most fun was the silly banter and commenting on how ugly the others' clothes were and how they dare wear the same clothes as us :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Didn't even know Lords of Vegas had an expansion coming out next month! Definitely one of my top underappreciated games and thanks to Neverfade for recommending it. Unfortunately it doesn't hit the table quite as much as I'd like because it doesn't click with everyone but I'll definitely nab the expansion. Probably throw it in there with the Spider-Man Legendary expansion (big game in my family) and the next Netrunner Big Box all coming up next month.

Karkador

Banned
And Ankh-Morpork ? Well someone said it is a chaotic game and... totally. To the point that after one play session I can't even say if I think the game is good or not. But what I know is that I had a really good time playing it so...
The game seems to have lots of flaws at first though (even if I don't care about them, I had great fun) :

Yep, that's Ankh Morpork! I totally agree with you on all points here. I don't care that the game feels rather random (I take it the universe it's based on is the same way), I don't care that it's not this mechanically sharp eurogame requiring tight calculation, it's just fun to play. It may not please the hardcore gamers, but I think a lot of people new to gaming can get into it and enjoy the chaos and killing eachother.

Phthisis

Got in my first game of Mythic Battles today. Really fun little system that sort of pares down a miniatures game and turns it into a frenetic tactical skirmish. And the art is amazeballs.

zulux21

So I played more than a few games the past few weeks but I've kept forgetting to post about them. I've bought Hanabi, Once Upon a Time and The Resistance
These were the highlights:
  • Hanabi: OMG this game is fantastic. At first we were playing with all sorts of communications. We'd ask other players for their opinions on what to give that one player, we'd ask players what are they going to play and we discuss what will happen on the few next turns.
    Today we played by the actual rules (no talking outside of pointing out the hints) and holy cow it's a totally different game and a better one. The fact that you can't say anything makes it so frustrating and intense. We managed to reach 20 (all time high) and actually establish a few strategies. Oh and we did add a house rule where you ask people about their cards and remind them of what they should know :p]

• Personally I think you should remove that house rule ASAP and instead merely have it where you can ask them what cards they know information about, but not allow them to say what they know, or if they do, you can't confirm if they are correct or not. The issue with the house rule you have now is it's very likely to lead to extra information being given that shouldn't be (we actually did that for a while ourselves and switched to this other rule)

another rule we play by that aren't in the rules...
    if someone accidentally gives extra info... such as pointing out a 3, but missing a second 3 (basically saying that you should play that first 3 i pointed out) both 3s are taken and then shuffled and then put back so the player doesn't know which one was the important 3.

As always you are free to play how ever you have fun, but at least for my group getting there without giving out any extra info accidentally makes the game more fun.

Oh also... you might not have missed one of the rules but we did for the longest time. When you complete a stack all the way to 5 you get an extra clue token back. That helps out a bit :p

as for once upon a time, my house rule for that is always... DONT TRY (hard) TO WIN lol.
    instead aim for telling a fun story, with going out of your way from time to time to say words that people might have. it allows for a lot more laughs as it passes the story around more as people twist the story repeatedly to try to get to their endings.

Mista Koo

Personally I think you should remove that house rule ASAP and instead merely have it where you can ask them what cards they know information about, but not allow them to say what they know, or if they do, you can't confirm if they are correct or not. The issue with the house rule you have now is it's very likely to lead to extra information being given that shouldn't be (we actually did that for a while ourselves and switched to this other rule)

another rule we play by that aren't in the rules...
if someone accidentally gives extra info... such as pointing out a 3, but missing a second 3 (basically saying that you should play that first 3 i pointed out) both 3s are taken and then shuffled and then put back so the player doesn't know which one was the important 3.

As always you are free to play how ever you have fun, but at least for my group getting there without giving out any extra info accidentally makes the game more fun.

Oh also... you might not have missed one of the rules but we did for the longest time. When you complete a stack all the way to 5 you get an extra clue token back. That helps out a bit :p

as for once upon a time, my house rule for that is always... DONT TRY (hard) TO WIN lol.
instead aim for telling a fun story, with going out of your way from time to time to say words that people might have. it allows for a lot more laughs as it passes the story around more as people twist the story repeatedly to try to get to their endings.
I didn't exactly get the first part. The idea is to just treat the game as if everyone is marking their cards with what information they were given about them. Playing late at night causes people to forget all sorts of information lol, also people will often accidentally misplace the card they know about. In a way it's like playing a digital version of the game.
I really like the rule about reshuffling, will start doing it as it makes a lot of sense. And yes we know about the extra token on 5s.

As for Once Upon a Time that's what I go for, but this was the first time I play with this group and this guy goes "they see a flying mushroom and monsters" out of nowhere just to play two cards, I tried to veto it but the other players let it go.

Hmm... Trying to decide on a good family game. Options are Garden Dice, or Flash Point. A 14-yo and a 11-yo will be playing.

Anyone have any experience with either one?

daevv

Having the guys down for a board game night! Wife is outta town for work and we have a civic holiday tomorrow.

Starting the night with Drunkquest. Gonna try for at least one game of some or all of these: Betrayal at House on the Hill, Lords of Waterdeep, Citadels, Talisman, Robinson Crusoe, Resistance, and King of Tokyo.

Karkador

Banned
Hmm... Trying to decide on a good family game. Options are Garden Dice, or Flash Point. A 14-yo and a 11-yo will be playing.

Anyone have any experience with either one?

Flash Point is fun and a good co-op family game. The theme is really easy to understand and get into. It's pretty easy to understand the rules, but the game can be quite challenging, as far as I've played.

I've never played Garden Dice.

People in my gaming group find Avalon too stressful. Instead they play Shadow Hunters. It's still fun but way less so because of all the dice rolling and the nature of 3 decks of cards :(

Having the guys down for a board game night! Wife is outta town for work and we have a civic holiday tomorrow.

Starting the night with Drunkquest. Gonna try for at least one game of some or all of these: Betrayal at House on the Hill, Lords of Waterdeep, Citadels, Talisman, Robinson Crusoe, Resistance, and King of Tokyo.

Why the hell would you start with drunkquest? You're not going to be able to play anything else after that game.

Karkador

Banned
People in my gaming group find Avalon too stressful. Instead they play Shadow Hunters. It's still fun but way less so because of all the dice rolling and the nature of 3 decks of cards :(

You could try Bang the Dice Game, which is similar-ish to Shadow Hunters, with some key differences : everyone can use their special powers at any time, and they're all pretty unique; the dice rolling is like Yahztee or King of Tokyo (it feels like playing King of Tokyo) with re-rolls and stuff, so it's a bit more fun than rolling a regular ol' d6 + d4, and it's generally a faster game.

I will say, though, that I think the cards in Shadow Hunters are the most interesting thing about it.

On the other hand, you guys could try playing One Night Werewolf. You get a lot of the same hidden role and deduction gameplay without there being a ton of stress or accusations, because it literally takes like 5-10 minutes to play a game (you're likely to play more than once).

ultron87

We played a bunch of One Night Werewolf last night. It took us a bit to really get into it because all our previous Mafia/Werewolf experience has taught us not to readily volunteer information due to the risk of getting killed the next night. But that obviously doesn't matter in this. So it took a couple games to get everyone talking with you there were actually puzzles and lies to catch people in.

Really fun once we got into it. I'd definitely suggest their free smartphone app. It makes the night phase way easier to do.

Yeah, One Night Werewolf looks really cool for the Avalon fan that I am because I used to despise how popular Werewolf was even though you're eliminating players every round (and one poor soul the first round). We played it in college and groups of friends would regularly bulk together and lynch everyone but themselves. The times we'd have a better group, it was so hard to not have people wandering around although I guess a game of CAH ran in parallel would have been cool for the dead players.

Played some KOT with the expansion and the Halloween pack this weekend. I really really enjoy how they managed to add-on to that game. Rolling for 3 hearts or 3 claws really adds a kind of 'big plays' mentality to it and it's really cool to see how that dynamic promotes big hits to people both in and out of Tokyo.

Played a 4 player game of Luchador but my friend had the very reductive view that it was purely a dice rolling game with no choices. After playing just the one game it was easy to tell him that while it is purely a dice based game, there is still the risk/reward nature in holding blocks or going for the super moves and whatnot. €30 was kind of steep for the game I felt though. Also, why did they print off 6 of the score sheets if it is only a 4 player game??

Shadow Hunters was played a few times this weekend and the game is really fun. The sooner that I just accepted that the game was going to be out of my control in terms of what information will be dealt out and what cards will come into play, the better time I had. The rounds were always very different which was cool and I am a reeeeeaaaaal sucker for hidden role games lately.

Also managed to play my second game of Galaxy Trucker ever. Holy shit, I loooove the game. I am not sure what expansions (if any) my friend has but I thoroughly enjoy that game. 3 player game, one complete new player, myself and my friend who owns it and the final scores reflected that but even just getting a somewhat positive number at the end was enough of a victory for me. Taking solace when that really great player loses some parts is always exciting.

All in all, it's been a great weekend for board gaming in my life. What is always weird is that there is always a "what will we play" moment where everyone is kind of not sure what to play despite all the board games we collectively have. Tis mighty odd.

Surburbia... I want it. Someone tell some good tales!

(Should we have some kind of format to these kind of posts in future OTs or something? I feel that sometimes I tend to look out for posts with games I know in them and perhaps others do as well. Maybe I should just embolden the titles as I have seen others do.)

zulux21

I didn't exactly get the first part. The idea is to just treat the game as if everyone is marking their cards with what information they were given about them. Playing late at night causes people to forget all sorts of information lol, also people will often accidentally misplace the card they know about. In a way it's like playing a digital version of the game.
I really like the rule about reshuffling, will start doing it as it makes a lot of sense. And yes we know about the extra token on 5s.

As for Once Upon a Time that's what I go for, but this was the first time I play with this group and this guy goes "they see a flying mushroom and monsters" out of nowhere just to play two cards, I tried to veto it but the other players let it go.

As I said really it's about what ever your group enjoys the most, thus if you enjoy playing that way then by all means do it that way. I was just saying that for my group the even stricter guidelines of not being able to retell info made the game more enjoyable. You actually have to remember what you know and what others know, you have to place your cards properly, or if you forget let people know that you don't know and have to deal with wasting another clue on you... it just makes it a lot more stressful and all the more rewarding when you do well (we tend to play with the variant that has you play until you make a mistake instead of when the cards are out... with 5 players it's come up a number of times that someone with a 5 they couldn't play picks up another card that they need to play as the last card and it's impossible to finish with a perfect score.

Karkador

Banned
(Should we have some kind of format to these kind of posts in future OTs or something? I feel that sometimes I tend to look out for posts with games I know in them and perhaps others do as well. Maybe I should just embolden the titles as I have seen others do.)

Hey this is a really neat idea for the next OT. Have a specific format for a game impression post or something like that, so people can scroll through and find those through the crowd.

My buddy brought over Space Alert, and I played it for the first time on Saturday. It was a five player game with only two of them having played the game before. I had no idea what was going on or what I was supposed to be doing. I feel like my buddy didn't fully explain the rules or what we had to do. We ended up winning the game since it was the training mission, but ultimately moved on. Not sure if I'll get to play this again, but if so, should I read up on the rules and objectives in advance?

Also, my gf and I have been playing Pandemic with On the Brink recently, and man, the game really upped the difficulty. We thought the base game got pretty easy after a while, but since getting the expansion, we keep getting our asses kicked both by the virulent strain challenge and mutation challenge.

Karkador

Banned
My buddy brought over Space Alert, and I played it for the first time on Saturday. It was a five player game with only two of them having played the game before. I had no idea what was going on or what I was supposed to be doing. I feel like my buddy didn't fully explain the rules or what we had to do. We ended up winning the game since it was the training mission, but ultimately moved on. Not sure if I'll get to play this again, but if so, should I read up on the rules and objectives in advance?

Space Alert actually has an extensive tutorial manual, as well as a script to train new players how to play. Was your friend using that at all? I think the game is a lot of fun (and not that complicated, despite there being a separate tutorial manual), but no game is fun if you aren't taught how to play it right.

Yea we haven't been able to get into space alert, tried it several times. Frankly find the tutorial to be complete ass, and so many players are stuck being completely lost.

Space Alert actually has an extensive tutorial manual, as well as a script to train new players how to play. Was your friend using that at all? I think the game is a lot of fun (and not that complicated, despite there being a separate tutorial manual), but no game is fun if you aren't taught how to play it right.

He definitely didn't do that. We were also playing with two "casual" players so he didn't want to overwhelm them with an extensive rule explanation. It ended up just making three out of the five players (including me) feel lost on what was happening.

Karkador

Banned
It's totally an easy game! The nice thing about Space Alert is that you can add/remove game mechanics to it, and it's still fun either way. I think even for casual players, the very basic game is not too complex (but again, teach the game!).

It's totally an easy game! The nice thing about Space Alert is that you can add/remove game mechanics to it, and it's still fun either way. I think even for casual players, the very basic game is not too complex (but again, teach the game!).

It did seem like an easy game, but since we didn't fully get the rule/objective breakdown, we felt lost. Only the two people who knew how to play the game did anything. Everybody else was like... uhh, what should I be doing?

Oh well, I'm sure we'll try again at some point.

blurrygil

Yup. I've beeen unceremoniously dubbed the "Rules Nazi". >_>

Didn't even know Lords of Vegas had an expansion coming out next month! Definitely one of my top underappreciated games and thanks to Neverfade for recommending it. Unfortunately it doesn't hit the table quite as much as I'd like because it doesn't click with everyone but I'll definitely nab the expansion.

Nice! Just watched some reviews of that on TDT and I went from 70% sure to 99% sure on getting it.

Finally got a chance to visit Card Kingdom/Cafe Mox this weekend here in Seattle. Holy balls: Nearly every damn table was full of families w/ kids playing (*see: barely paying attention to) Tokyo Wars or Ticket to Ride.

The Gates have truly opened wide, these days. Not necessarily a bad thing.

This Week's Sessions:

Pandemic [Group Debut] - Lost a 5-Epidemic level game due to outbreaks in Europe. First time I've ever lost with the group in that region (blue). Felt...weird. We didn't help ourselves much as our Quarantine Specialist didn't really interject herself into the heart of the outbreaks there and kinda just passed on needed cards to others, slowing her progress.

Dominion - Played this for the first time, this weekend. Never even touched it as I tend to stay away from card games, in general. I liked it and the gf hosted (first time as well). Basic rules (the starting 10 kingdoms the rules suggest) allow for little to zero conflict against each other. But it was nice to get the basics down. Picked up Intrigue Expansion this weekend (we've LONG had the core game, just never opened it) and looking forward to adding that into the mix.

Anyone have any good storage suggestions? The lady is looking into some now but just want some fellow GAF-ers opinions on their own.

Machine of Death - Lots of hilarious assassinations, plans and weird executions. The highlight? To assassinate Ted Kennedy, who is hiding on top of the Washington Monument, you need bacon-flavored whiskey, a pizza-delivery Chinook chopper...and Slenderman.

Formula D [Group Debut] - This ran pretty long and we started late, so we never completed our six-car, single-lap, advanced-rules race. The highlight was that the two ladies that were part of our group both got out to a solid lead for most/all of the race. We had some pretty good fun and turns sped up as players learned. Looking forward to our next race with hopes of completing two laps and including pit stops.

Zombicide - Played the C8 scenario "Belly of the Beast":

• You have to trap the Abomination inside the bunker. Here is
    the plan:

[*]Find the bunker key. The places where you can find it are
    marked with a red “X”. Take the red Objectives until you find
    the green one.

[*]Lure the Abomination into the bunker. Yes, everybody
    will probably have to play the bait. The bunker is the player
    starting room, in tile 7B.

[*]Lock down the bunker with the Abomination inside.
    You can lock the green door once you have the green Objective.

[*]Flee! Reach the Exit Zone with all Survivors. Any Survivor
    may escape through this Zone at the end of his turn, as long
    as there are no Zombies in it.

Slide3.JPG

*Ignore the other graphics*

Pretty tough, as the mission calls for an indestructible Abomination to be played. What makes it a bit tougher is that we have house-ruled the "Abom" to get 2 Actions when it has LOS on a Survivor + the ability to go thru and destroy doors. However, we were able to sneak everyone together into the nearby building at the top of the map, forcing the Abom to return to single-action movements. Towards the end, we had to run for our lives as he finally saw someone and sprinted after our group. So we played a little ring-around-the-rosey to keep ahead of him and lured him into the bunker with a sacrificial Survivor (not me this time!). Here's the awesome part of that plan: Our sacrificial guy managed to gain a level while IN the bunker, thus earning the Slippery ability! With that, he snuck out of the bunker while the Abom was on him and survived. Sadly, he died during the escape; but he served his purpose, lol.

Great, great session of this game. Lots of fun and intense moments. This is why this game our group's "main". :-D

Recently acquired Escape: The Curse of the Temple! run through some vids and a solo session and we're ready to host this week or weekend!

Eyeballing Ghost Stories, as well. GAF really has me wanting to go out and nab this ASAP.

Dominion - Played this for the first time, this weekend. Never even touched it as I tend to stay away from card games, in general. I liked it and the gf hosted (first time as well). Basic rules (the starting 10 kingdoms the rules suggest) allow for little to zero conflict against each other. But it was nice to get the basics down. Picked up Intrigue Expansion this weekend (we've LONG had the core game, just never opened it) and looking forward to adding that into the mix.

Anyone have any good storage suggestions? The lady is looking into some now but just want some fellow GAF-ers opinions on their own.

Dominion is my former roommates' and my favorite game before I moved out. Between the three of us, we had all of the expansions sleeved so I got one of those cardboard boxes that stores ~3000 cards. I then printed out a bunch of dividers on cardstock from somebody who posted a template on BGG.

It definitely took some time and a bit of money to sleeve and store the cards, but if you think you'll play a lot of Dominion, it's well worth it.

Phthisis

Finally got a chance to visit Card Kingdom/Cafe Mox this weekend here in Seattle. Holy balls: Nearly every damn table was full of families w/ kids playing (*see: barely paying attention to) Tokyo Wars or Ticket to Ride.

Ha, I was there this weekend, too. Hell, I'm there almost every weekend. It's a mecca.

I think I have played Eldritch Horror 5 times already and have yet to win, :lol

My group won once. And we didn't feel like we deserved it. It was literally a last-chance lucky roll, but we feel like we may have broken or missed some critical rules getting to that point :)

blurrygil

Ha, I was there this weekend, too. Hell, I'm there almost every weekend. It's a mecca.

Nice. I'd go if I didn't live down the street from Raygun Lounge. But the lady wants to try the food, so we'll make more of a effort soon. :)

Post in the Seattle-GAF thread?

Dominion is my former roommates' and my favorite game before I moved out. Between the three of us, we had all of the expansions sleeved so I got one of those cardboard boxes that stores ~3000 cards. I then printed out a bunch of dividers on cardstock from somebody who posted a template on BGG.

It definitely took some time and a bit of money to sleeve and store the cards, but if you think you'll play a lot of Dominion, it's well worth it.

Yeah we figure. Might find one of the custom boxes there are online and go with that. We're willing to pay a premium to simply make it all easier and look nice.

Winning board from a game of Suburbia. Love this game.

I was holding that game in my hands, this weekend. Didn't pull the trigger because the store wanted too much for it, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom