• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Suburbia is really fun. They really shoulda nabbed the SimCity license since they nail it better than most. Albeit simpler. Only real cons are boring aesthetics and (this might be a pro depending on what you're looking for) the fact that it's fairly light (don't take my SimCity comment too seriously, but it definitely has that kind of feel).

Karkador

Banned
I would love to see a Suburbia expansion that puts a transportation system on top of the city, perhaps between player cities, too. IMO, that would have been the first expansion for the game.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to see a Suburbia expansion that puts a transportation system on top of the city, perhaps between player cities, too. IMO, that would have been the first expansion for the game.

Having not even played it yet, I would say I would want a 6 player expansion, :lol

Any good Lord Of The Rings board games out there?
A lot, some good some not so good. Some of the good ones that I've played,
War of the Ring: Really big and fairly complex. Downside is it only plays two but the upside is it's basically the book in boardgame form. Free Peoples are trying to pitch the ring in Mount Doom before the Shadow player takes over Middle Earth. Most of the game takes place on this giant two board wide map of Middle Earth where armies from both side are duking it out. The Fellowship is represented as well, of course, with Frodo and Sam as the Ring bearers. It's a neat game that I don't play nearly enough because of the time commitment and the fact that it's only two players.

Lord of the Rings: This is an old co-op game, maybe the first one to make it big. Each player plays a Hobbit and you are trying to make your way across a number of boards collecting cards and defeating challenges. It's a really hard game to win but it's simple to play. Downside is it's a bit abstracted and you don't really feel like you are playing in the Lord of the Rings.

LotR: The Confrontation: This is an ok two player game that basically plays like complex Stratego.

I'm a huge fan of Clash of Cultures. I love the simplicity, love the look, and love how easy it is to get people into it.

I just want a little bit more of it, and was eyeing the civ board game, but then they go and announce the "Civilization" expansion.

Elephants are in. Finally the elephants.

Edit: This might be the first board game bling I ever buy for just a single game. http://www.shapeways.com/model/1119302/wonders-3-5.html?li=shop-results&materialId=6

blurrygil

I'm a huge fan of Clash of Cultures. I love the simplicity, love the look, and love how easy it is to get people into it.

I just want a little bit more of it, and was eyeing the civ board game, but then they go and announce the "Civilization" expansion.

Edit: This might be the first board game bling I ever buy for just a single game. http://www.shapeways.com/model/1119302/wonders-3-5.html?li=shop-results&materialId=6

I took a look at this at my FLGS yesterday. My gf is big on Civ for PC and wants a nice, big resource builder/war game and thought this would be pretty good.

Impressions?

Phthisis

Nice. I'd go if I didn't live down the street from Raygun Lounge. But the lady wants to try the food, so we'll make more of a effort soon. :)

Post in the Seattle-GAF thread?

Thank you! I will do that.

Also, someone asked for pictures, so here's a mini session report from A Distant Plain (my board GOTY 2013) I played against friends a few weeks ago:

1606421_10101185485918575_1289002360_o.jpg

Things going on in this picture: Government forces (blue) and U.S. led Coalition troops (tan) have massed in the south to secure the borders and provinces against Taliban (black) incursion.

1491319_10101185485938535_617138309_o.jpg

Things going on in this picture: the Taliban have infiltrated the capital city of Kabul in preparation for acts of terror to lower the Coalition player's victory margin. Sensing the urgency of their hold on the city beginning to slip, the Government and Coalition players have began to reinforce the area. With the help of the opium-growing Warlords (green), the Taliban have managed to stake a rally point for their guerrillas who are flooding in from nearby Pakistan

1537789_10101192196405705_578280729_o.jpg

Things going on in this picture: a series of daring Government raids have exposed the Taliban sleeper cells in Kabul. Meanwhile, with all their effort directed at securing Kabul, the Warlords have spread across the northern countryside, where there is no Government enforcement of law of any kind

1534831_10101192196475565_759256734_o.jpg

Things going on in this picture: with the end of the game nigh, the Coalition player mis-times his action and is unable to pull troops out of the country while the Government is supported and beloved by the people. Because of this, the Warlords are able to keep Afghanistan in anarchy, allowing them to reap profits through the opium trade with no hope of reprisal. The Taliban had been setting up for a major push across the Pakistani border to supplement its dwindling successes in Kabul, but too little too late.

Oh man, those Uranium Barrels for Power Grid look pimp!

Also, someone asked for pictures, so here's a mini session report from A Distant Plain (my board GOTY 2013) I played against friends a few weeks ago:

1606421_10101185485918575_1289002360_o.jpg

Things going on in this picture: Government forces (blue) and U.S. led Coalition troops (tan) have massed in the south to secure the borders and provinces against Taliban (black) incursion.

1491319_10101185485938535_617138309_o.jpg

Things going on in this picture: the Taliban have infiltrated the capital city of Kabul in preparation for acts of terror to lower the Coalition player's victory margin. Sensing the urgency of their hold on the city beginning to slip, the Government and Coalition players have began to reinforce the area. With the help of the opium-growing Warlords (green), the Taliban have managed to stake a rally point for their guerrillas who are flooding in from nearby Pakistan

1537789_10101192196405705_578280729_o.jpg

Things going on in this picture: a series of daring Government raids have exposed the Taliban sleeper cells in Kabul. Meanwhile, with all their effort directed at securing Kabul, the Warlords have spread across the northern countryside, where there is no Government enforcement of law of any kind

Things going on in this picture: with the end of the game nigh, the Coalition player mis-times his action and is unable to pull troops out of the country while the Government is supported and beloved by the people. Because of this, the Warlords are able to keep Afghanistan in anarchy, allowing them to reap profits through the opium trade with no hope of reprisal. The Taliban had been setting up for a major push across the Pakistani border to supplement its dwindling successes in Kabul, but too little too late.

Looks like Labyrinth

Phthisis

Looks like Labyrinth

Same designer and publisher. Different system, though.

For my money, the COIN series (Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain, and the upcoming Fire in the Lake) are some of the most amazing pieces of design and one of the most compelling, narrative experiences in tabletop gaming. They are incredible.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net...40/1606421_10101185485918575_1289002360_o.jpg

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net...540/1491319_10101185485938535_617138309_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd....540/1537789_10101192196405705_578280729_o.jpg

Hell, yeah COIN games! I own this as well, but haven't gotten it to the table yet. I did play Cuba Libre and I absolutely love it.

Keasar

Same designer and publisher. Different system, though.

For my money, the COIN series (Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain, and the upcoming Fire in the Lake) are some of the most amazing pieces of design and one of the most compelling, narrative experiences in tabletop gaming. They are incredible.

I take it then A Distant Plain is recommended over Labyrinth? I am a huge fan of GMT's Twilight Struggle and wanna get another one of their games (have been eying Dominant Species for a while) that is more based on world history/events.

Phthisis

I take it then A Distant Plain is recommended over Labyrinth? I am a huge fan of GMT's Twilight Struggle and wanna get another one of their games (have been eying Dominant Species for a while) that is more based on world history/events.

If you like Twilight Struggle, Labyrinth is way more your speed, probably. ADP is way more complex (though way more rewarding, IMO). It's got really subtle nuances and mechanics that really unpeel themselves after three or four (or more) plays. Unlike TS, you won't be able to grok ADP after the first game. You kind of have to experience it multiple times to really get an overarching sense of how all the gears work. That is at once both its biggest strength and weakness. If you're going to pick up a COIN game, I highly highly recommend Cuba Libre as your first go, as it's way more accessible than either ADP or Andean Abyss.

What I like about Labyrinth is that it's an exact 50/50 hyrbid of TS' card driven mechanic and the COIN series' geographic strategy. Alternatively, you could go with 1989, which is basically Twilight Struggle that only takes place in Eastern Europe rather than the globe. A sequel of sorts.

I'd also honorable mention Sekigahara if you want a GMT game. It's simple, fast, strategic and tactical, and really beautiful.

platypotamus said:
And I was there today. Just selling a couple magic cards. Not sure what I'm going to spend my store credit on yet. Thinking maybe either Nations or Bruges.

Both great games! Bruges would be my choice if I had to pick, as I like its design and mechanics a bit more.

Keasar

I am not really afraid of complexity (I have survived Twilight Imperium, Mage Knight, Mage Wars etc.) so A Distant Plain wouldn't be too hard I think. I'll take a look at them including Sekigahara that I remember now reading about on ShutUp&SitDown a while ago. Thanks. :)

d1rtn4p

Love this thread. Had never heard of A Distant Plain or Sekigahara before. Now I own them both. Can't wait to dig in with my group next week!

I am not really afraid of complexity (I have survived Twilight Imperium, Mage Knight, Mage Wars etc.) so A Distant Plain wouldn't be too hard I think. I'll take a look at them including Sekigahara that I remember now reading about on ShutUp&SitDown a while ago. Thanks. :)
The COIN series is really fascinating. For one, it's a card driven series but you don't have a hand of cards. In fact there is no hidden information at all (unless you play with the deception variant in Cuba Libre) everything is on the board, it's up to the player to make the right decisions. Each faction plays differently from the next with their own goals and win conditions.

I've only played Cuba Libre, despite owning the entire series. I've read the rules to the other two games and I would say Cuba Libre is a good starting point in the series. It's a smaller map which leads to more competition but is more manageable. The deck is also the smallest out of the three games so it's a game that can be completed in a more reasonable time, which is good if you want to get it to the table more.

I took a look at this at my FLGS yesterday. My gf is big on Civ for PC and wants a nice, big resource builder/war game and thought this would be pretty good.

Impressions?

I wanted a Civ-type board game and was eyeing well... Cid Meier's Civ Board Game first, but I looked over the rules and components and crazy tech trees and felt it'd be too much for my gaming group.

Clash of Cultures is a different beast. Everyone starts on the same footing and has the same tech tree. The tech tree is awesome. The rules for actions and movement and combat are simpler. The components are awesome. You really feel this big unique world is being made and seeing all the physical cities pop up is a lot of fun for me.

Downsides? Only 1 army type and 1 ship type (though tech advances give bonuses). You are the same as everyone else, so no special civ bonuses. Movement rules through forests are a little fiddly but keep the game balanced. Hidden objective cards for points (I like this though) and the random events can be well, random.

Event cards hurt you most of the time, but there are technologies to counteract this, and better, you choose (by advancing technology) when events occur. The resource management system in the game makes knowing how much of each you have a breeze.

I hope the new expansion adds new civs and troop types without complicating things too much. I know Civilization (Cid Meier's) is a much deeper game but if I wanted that... I would just play the PC version.

blurrygil

Clash of Cultures is a different beast. Everyone starts on the same footing and has the same tech tree. The tech tree is awesome. The rules for actions and movement and combat are simpler. The components are awesome. You really feel this big unique world is being made and seeing all the physical cities pop up is a lot of fun for me.

Downsides? Only 1 army type and 1 ship type...

Event cards hurt you most of the time, but there are technologies to counteract this, and better, you choose (by advancing technology) when events occur. The resource management system in the game makes knowing how much of each you have a breeze.

I hope the new expansion adds new civs and troop types without complicating things too much. I know Civilization (Cid Meier's) is a much deeper game but if I wanted that... I would just play the PC version.

This is actually my fave reason to get it. Keeps the core game balanced while the upcoming expansion (Clash of Cultures: Civilizations) can be added optionally to mix things up. This game just went on my list, now.

Musan

Nations isn't bad as well. Commonly called a streamlined Through the Ages. Due to only seeing a small portion of the cards each game, has a lot of replay value. I found Civilization a bit too fiddly for my tastes.

J-Roderton

Lord of the Rings: This is an old co-op game, maybe the first one to make it big. Each player plays a Hobbit and you are trying to make your way across a number of boards collecting cards and defeating challenges. It's a really hard game to win but it's simple to play. Downside is it's a bit abstracted and you don't really feel like you are playing in the Lord of the Rings.

Just ordered this one. Thanks. After watching a few Youtube videos it seems like the best for my situation. My gf and I love Lotr and this one should be pretty fun.

War of The Ring seems really cool, but that seems like a lot for someone new.

So my collection is at the point where I want to put them on shelves or something, perhaps in a nice display somewhere.

Where do you guys store your board games, and how? Do you just pile them on top of each other, or do you have shelving units?

Neverfade

So my collection is at the point where I want to put them on shelves or something, perhaps in a nice display somewhere.

Where do you guys store your board games, and how? Do you just pile them on top of each other, or do you have shelving units?

I had a woodworker craft a shelf for me. Its pretty dope.

Ikea Expedit shelves are a fan favorite, but they just got discontinued. If you have the money for those, I'd snag some up while they're available.

Edit: Here's my shelf.

IYjNXDq.jpg

It's long since overflowed. I have a computer desk that has some shelving built into it thats also full. And a coffee table that has some storage space under it that's also full... and on and on...

Have any Canadians ordered online from Supernova Games? Prices seem to good.
I ordered Descent 2e from them 2 weekends ago. The $10 shipping to Alberta was great and it arrived pretty quick. I usually use Germangames.com or Meeplemart.com, but Supernova had it cheaper. No complaints at all, would buy from them again.

Keep in mind that they're a Qubecois company, so some games are in french. The description should specify.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered Descent 2e from them 2 weekends ago. The $10 shipping to Alberta was great and it arrived pretty quick. I usually use Germangames.com or Meeplemart.com, but Supernova had it cheaper. No complaints at all, would buy from them again.

Keep in mind that they're a Qubecois company, so some games are in french. The description should specify.

Cool, thanks. I'm Alberta as well. Thinking of getting Suburbia.

blurrygil

I had a woodworker craft a shelf for me. Its pretty dope.

Ikea Expedit shelves are a fan favorite, but they just got discontinued. If you have the money for those, I'd snag some up while they're available.

Edit: Here's my shelf.

IYjNXDq.jpg

It's long since overflowed. I have a computer desk that has some shelving built into it thats also full. And a coffee table that has some storage space under it that's also full... and on and on...

OG Fortress America...?!? HIGH FIVE!!! :D

The Expedit line is nice; but if you want cheap, dirty and effective--try the IKEA Kilby model. Only $25. Strong, durable and easy to modulate your boxes into. They're 76" tall. Lots of space to place games in. Keep in mind the shelf unit itself is NOT fully modular, like most others (Billy, Expedit, etc); and you must build it pretty close to the specifications as to how you see it. However, I have filled one full bookcase that fits everything perfectly for me. I think these are a solid choice for shelving games if you're not picky on the need for modularization or decor.

IKEA Kilby Bookcase

kilby-bookcase__28292_PE114917_S4.jpg

IMG_0168.JPG

*Pic above not mine; posted for size reference*

What game is this?

Clash of Cultures, my friend.

Clash-of-Cultures-cover.png

pic1412322-1.png

How tall do you go with them? How well does it all hold? Seeing as I posted about the Kilby bookcases, I'm just curious how they might compare for the same price.

I use Ikea shelves as well and kinda just have stacks. This is two of my long shelving units, I got more shelves out of view of this pic going around the sides of the game room.

9248671122_cf934ae358_c.jpg

I would get taller shelves if I have to, but like the shorter longer ones as I got up a collection of expensive art prints on the walls.... would have to take them down to make room for taller shelves lol

ultron87

My games are currently stored on twenty dollar Ikea shelves bought 5 years ago that have somehow survived 3 moves. One has an unsettling lean to it so it looks like it'll collapse at any moment

Since I live twenty minutes from an Ikea I should probably go upgrade at some point to something slightly sturdier.

Karkador

Banned
I use Ikea shelves as well and kinda just have stacks. This is two of my long shelving units, I got more shelves out of view of this pic going around the sides of the game room.

9248671122_cf934ae358_c.jpg

I would get taller shelves if I have to, but like the shorter longer ones as I got up a collection of expensive art prints on the walls.... would have to take them down to make room for taller shelves lol

When are you inviting us all over to play? :eek:

joelseph

Digging the pictures!

My setup:

The game rack

QceN1gU.jpg

Long shot of the room. Main gaming table is the granite island, small table is for overflow games.

XFz1EYG.jpg

Dice Monkey on the island

OGf0Jin.jpg

Action shot

HeLaES8.jpg

Board porn

a4iXhjW.jpg

Hah, already have the problem of too many friends locally who want to come over for the game nights. Been kinda annoying since it forces us into playing the larger games when so many games really are designed for 4 players. Game room outgrew my playerbase :(

And also parking is an issue in my neighborhood lol

Do any of ye play board games at work? I imagine there are probably a good few games you could play pretty quick around a lunch time or something.

blurrygil

Digging the pictures!

My setup:

The game rack

QceN1gU.jpg

Long shot of the room. Main gaming table is the granite island, small table is for overflow games.

XFz1EYG.jpg

Dice Monkey on the island

OGf0Jin.jpg

Action shot

HeLaES8.jpg

Board porn

a4iXhjW.jpg

DICE MONKEY!!! Legit.

And love the Medieval Times flags...lol.

Do any of ye play board games at work? I imagine there are probably a good few games you could play pretty quick around a lunch time or something.

Small stuff on rare occasion. But nothing serious. Surprised at, considering my place of work, there isn't more of it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom