• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XShagrath

Do any of ye play board games at work? I imagine there are probably a good few games you could play pretty quick around a lunch time or something.
We have a boardgame day in my department every month where it's all we do all day. We invite people over from other departments and we supply bagels and pastries from Panera Bread. It's usually a pretty good time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Do any of ye play board games at work? I imagine there are probably a good few games you could play pretty quick around a lunch time or something.

Board-game night at work is Monday, usually ~6-10 PM. Play a really wide variety of games and have about 8-15 people regularly. Even got them to put in shelving so I have like 30+ games that I keep at work to have them ready for game night. We also have a "regular" Netrunner night at work on Tuesday, but Netrunner nights are liable to happen 3-4 times in a given week sometimes.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't wait to get Suburbia online so I got it from the local store. Hope to play it Friday night. Almost bought a used of copy of Rallyman and the Eclipse ship pack as well. Those stores are dangerous places.

Icefire1424

We have a boardgame day in my department every month where it's all we do all day. We invite people over from other departments and we supply bagels and pastries from Panera Bread. It's usually a pretty good time.

Are you hiring?

Love the pics all, keep 'em coming!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question regarding Suburbia. If I play a Farm, I get +1 income for every restaurant in play and every restaurant that is played after right?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
We play boardgames/cardgames every lunch, depending on how many people take lunch breaks at the same time. Love Letters/7 Wonders/Lost Cities get the most playtime, because they're quick, easy to set up and cover most player numbers.

We're hiring, too. :p

swoon

Quick question regarding Suburbia. If I play a Farm, I get +1 income for every restaurant in play and every restaurant that is played after right?

yea exactly.

i always see a group of people playing euros in our cafe, but i'm always either rushing to a meeting or in a lunch meeting and i like never see them outside of that one moment. mabe they are ghosts?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
yea exactly.

i always see a group of people playing euros in our cafe, but i'm always either rushing to a meeting or in a lunch meeting and i like never see them outside of that one moment. mabe they are ghosts?

Thanks.

At my last job, we would play Catan at lunch for money.

parasight

Got the new standalone DC Deck Building Game: Heroes Unite. Not bad. Some interesting new synergy, but also some ridiculously strong cards. Definitely going to have to play it more to hopefully get a better idea of the balance. Might eventually merge the two decks and remove some of the bad cards.

zulux21

Got the new standalone DC Deck Building Game: Heroes Unite. Not bad. Some interesting new synergy, but also some ridiculously strong cards. Definitely going to have to play it more to hopefully get a better idea of the balance. Might eventually merge the two decks and remove some of the bad cards.

good to hear, I am interested in it as well, but from the start I had planned to merge the decks as the game feels like it could use more variety in general.

Karkador

Banned
Speaking of the new DC Deck Builder game, could you tell me what kind of characters are on the cards? I see that the player characters are a lot of the less-popular DC characters (though they have a fanbase), and I'm wondering if the rest of the game's cards feature lesser known characters like that. I'm asking because my girlfriend would be pretty hyped if the game was all B-list DC characters...

Karkador

Banned
The kickstarter for that Inceptor board game is pretty sick. Can't resist that aluminum case.... They are posting the rules soon, I want to know how the game plays first; but I'm a sucker for Inception.

Hmmmm....it looks like it has you rolling dice and moving spaces, you use player pawns that are random objects, there are event cards you draw that do random stuff (including lose a turn!), and placing cubes of your color on the board to control certain areas.........

Did they just remake Monopoly?

Hmmmm....it looks like it has you rolling dice and moving spaces, you use player pawns that are random objects, there are event cards you draw that do random stuff (including lose a turn!), and placing cubes of your color on the board to control certain areas.........

Did they just remake Monopoly?

The Mark's subconcious is aware of your presence. Go to jail. Do not pass Start.

Speaking of the new DC Deck Builder game, could you tell me what kind of characters are on the cards? I see that the player characters are a lot of the less-popular DC characters (though they have a fanbase), and I'm wondering if the rest of the game's cards feature lesser known characters like that. I'm asking because my girlfriend would be pretty hyped if the game was all B-list DC characters...

All the a-listers were used up by the first set playable characters, so pretty much any other card is b or c listers lol. Course even with players in "control" of a character, it doesn't stop the game from putting that character as a card in the game as well, so if you are Aquaman, someone could pull and use an Aquaman card as well..... game is pretty shitty on following it's theme.

My GF and I finished Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective last night; completed the 10th and final case. It took us about 3 months, we were savoring the adventure but now it's over.

We're going to tackle Letters from WhiteChapel sometime this week.

Any tips?

blurrygil

The kickstarter for that Inceptor board game is pretty sick. Can't resist that aluminum case.... They are posting the rules soon, I want to know how the game plays first; but I'm a sucker for Inception.

Well that set looks.....trendy, doesn't it? Not really for me. The concept is cool and all. But "ewwww" at those components. Couldn't be any more basic.

And yes...I like Ameri-trashers. So sue me. :)

Went by our FLGS again last night. The gf has the bug on wanting to learn to paint tabletop miniatures (board game stuff). I hoping she sticks with it since she dropped another $50 in supplies. I came dangerously close to nabbing a copy of Ghost Stories, which I've been eyeballing (and been recommended towards) for quite some time. But we've got plenty of games at home to play and still learn, even. Also...Rampage was calling my name on their shelves. Again...came so close to nabbing it.

Finally opened Sentinels of the Multiverse this week (have had it on the shelf since...PAX Prime, I think?!) along with the Rook City and Shattered Timelines expansions (got a great deal on all of them). And I must say: Damn, why didn't I open this sooner??

Sentinels-of-the-Multiverse-Box.jpg~original

*Disclaimer: Not my actual set...but really close*

As I've posted in the past, I don't care for card-based games. But the theme on this is so heavy and well done...I just...LOVE IT. Tried a couple of solo runs to level up my knowledge and will likely introduce this to our group on Saturday. Very excited! Wanting to round things out with the Infernal Relics expansion, but ever since GTG started bundling the expansions together (w/ Rook City), it's really hard to find at a reasonable price. But I do see the new Vengeance expansion is out...wooooooo!!

My GF and I finished Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective last night; completed the 10th and final case. It took us about 3 months, we were savoring the adventure but now it's over.
My wife and I did the first case on Valentine's Day (haven't had a chance to do another one yet) and we really liked it. We finished in about three hours,
even though we had known who the killer was about 90 minutes in just not his motive
. We ended up with 60 something points because we were too thorough. We followed as many leads as we could forgetting (or not knowing) you should try to do it as fast as possible in order to beat Sherlock. Really interesting game, excited to see what the other cases are about.
We're going to tackle Letters from WhiteChapel sometime this week.

Any tips?
Throw it in the trash? Honestly, this game is not one I would play again, it's just not interesting. The game just doesn't give enough to do for the investigators. Sure you can discuss among yourselves but for the most part you wander around the map yelling out numbers hoping one of them is a hit. The Jack side is a little more interesting but if the investigators are clueless as to where you are then it's a boring stroll back to your hideout.

Compare that to Fury of Dracula, if as an investigator, you are lost as to where Dracula is you can use that time to tool up. For Dracula, if the investigators are lost, you still are invested because you can lay traps or sire new vampires. It's a damn shame Fury is out of print because it is a much better game than Letters.
Finally opened Sentinels of the Multiverse this week (have had it on the shelf since...PAX Prime, I think?!) along with the Rook City and Shattered Timelines expansions (got a great deal on all of them). And I must say: Damn, why didn't I open this sooner??

As I've posted in the past, I don't care for card-based games. But the theme on this is so heavy and well done...I just...LOVE IT. Tried a couple of solo runs to level up my knowledge and will likely introduce this to our group on Saturday. Very excited! Wanting to round things out with the Infernal Relics expansion, but ever since GTG started bundling the expansions together (w/ Rook City), it's really hard to find at a reasonable price. But I do see the new Vengeance expansion is out...wooooooo!!
Sentinels is great. I would recommend grabbing the oversized villain cards. They are cheap and make seeing the villain from across the table so much easier. Also can't go wrong with picking up the extra characters, villains, and locations.

blurrygil

Sentinels is great. I would recommend grabbing the oversized villain cards. They are cheap and make seeing the villain from across the table so much easier. Also can't go wrong with picking up the extra characters, villains, and locations.

I was wondering about getting those. Saw some locally and thought about it. Never really thought about the "imposing" theme that would give the villains! I think I'll nab some of those soon. Thanks for that tip. :)

Also, would you (or anyone else) recommend getting the extra tokens pack? I suppose as I continue to add expansions, I might need them. However, I don't see individual games getting any bigger (1 villain v. a max of 4 heroes) to then require the need for more tokens.

Really main advantage of the big villain cards is that everyone can read the text on the card at the table lol. Lot of villains have so much little text that players constantly are picking up and passing around the villain card if you don't got the large ones.

Extra tokens are nice, as some games can really drag out and amount of effects everyone is tossing out can add up.

blurrygil

Really main advantage of the big villain cards is that everyone can read the text on the card at the table lol. Lot of villains have so much little text that players constantly are picking up and passing around the villain card if you don't got the large ones.

Extra tokens are nice, as some games can really drag out and amount of effects everyone is tossing out can add up.

Good to know...cheers.

It just sucks that with the new stuff and extras like tokens, big cards, and last two expansions, it no longer all fits in one box, which was a nice part of the enhanced edition.

FrigidEh

Looking to buy a board game that is easy to drink to and fun for people that wouldn't necessarily play many board games or like them very much. Leaning towards these three right now:

Red Dragon Inn
Wits & Wagers
Settlers of Catan

Should I pull the trigger on any of these?

My wife and I did the first case on Valentine's Day (haven't had a chance to do another one yet) and we really liked it. We finished in about three hours,
even though we had known who the killer was about 90 minutes in just not his motive
. We ended up with 60 something points because we were too thorough. We followed as many leads as we could forgetting (or not knowing) you should try to do it as fast as possible in order to beat Sherlock. Really interesting game, excited to see what the other cases are about.

Cases will only get harder, especially since you'll have to go through more newspapers with each subsequent case. I remember the first case being easy, and I overthought the whole thing much to my GF's amusement (she got the answers right). My answer was the guy shot himself. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Throw it in the trash? Honestly, this game is not one I would play again, it's just not interesting. The game just doesn't give enough to do for the investigators. Sure you can discuss among yourselves but for the most part you wander around the map yelling out numbers hoping one of them is a hit. The Jack side is a little more interesting but if the investigators are clueless as to where you are then it's a boring stroll back to your hideout.

Compare that to Fury of Dracula, if as an investigator, you are lost as to where Dracula is you can use that time to tool up. For Dracula, if the investigators are lost, you still are invested because you can lay traps or sire new vampires. It's a damn shame Fury is out of print because it is a much better game than Letters.

Hmm, thing is we heard a lot of good things about the game from a 2-player perspective. I've heard misgivings about it when played by more than 2 players, but does your opinion of the game waver when it's played by only a couple of people?

Karkador

Banned
I've heard the opposite of joeyjoejoe's opinion - many people poopoo Fury of Dracula and love Whitechapel. I think Whitechapel is fun, but has some issues. I've never played Fury of Dracula.

Cases will only get harder, especially since you'll have to go through more newspapers with each subsequent case. I remember the first case being easy, and I overthought the whole thing much to my GF's amusement (she got the answers right). My answer was the guy shot himself. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Hmm, thing is we heard a lot of good things about the game from a 2-player perspective. I've heard misgivings about it when played by more than 2 players, but does your opinion of the game waver when it's played by only a couple of people?
With two, It doesn't take as long as a multiplayer game, which will drag. You guys might like it, it is popular so there has to be something people are seeing that I'm not. OK, maybe suggesting to toss the game in the trash was a bit harsh.

I've heard the opposite of joeyjoejoe's opinion - many people poopoo Fury of Dracula and love Whitechapel. I think Whitechapel is fun, but has some issues. I've never played Fury of Dracula.
There are definitely two camps of people and, obviously, I fall squarely in the Fury of Dracula camp. Funny thing is, I got Letters because I was looking for a game like Fury minus the combat, which is Fury's only downside. Once I played Letters I realized just how good Fury was in comparison and promptly traded it away.

Looking to buy a board game that is easy to drink to and fun for people that wouldn't necessarily play many board games or like them very much. Leaning towards these three right now:

Red Dragon Inn
Wits & Wagers
Settlers of Catan

Easy to drink to and newbie friendly? Wits and Wagers. Red Dragon Inn is fun but there are a lot of little rules that will trip up newbies. Hell, I still get tripped up on the gambling rules. Catan is a great game, but I wouldn't put it in the drink camp. Maybe if the party was subdued enough and people were just drinking wine or something.

parasight

Yeah it's mostly lesser known characters. There's a lot of Lantern stuff in this one. All the colored rings. Kyle Rayner has a card in the main deck (which is the only card in both games to have an insta-win condition).

The small expansion coming up sounds better for DC deck builder, as it adds new mechanics and such to the game instead of just being more of the same.

blurrygil

Red Dragon Inn
Wits & Wagers
Settlers of Catan

Catan should be a staple. Great entry game. Should be on nearly everyone's shelf. The game is only light-medium heavy in rules and instruction.

Wits & Wagers is a great near-staple game, I believe. Much more of a family game and can get nearly anyone to play. Can be played as a filler between heavier games or makes a great ender to a session.

Red Dragon Inn...well, I didn't like it. It's another "drinking" game where it can be played without the actual drinking. It's actually a wager/hand management game that is extremely light on content. Oddly enough, I found the game to get too convoluted once you near the end, due to the rules. And if you play it as an actual drinking game...forget about finishing. But all in all, I didn't really like the mechanics. All it has going for it is some light theme. Again, this is just my impression.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got a few more Suburbia questions:

1) If I place an investment token on a lake do I immeditaly get $2 for each adjacent tile

and

2) If for some reason I own both slaughter houses, do I then get +2 income for each additional restaurant?

Thanks

1) If I place an investment token on a lake do I immeditaly get $2 for each adjacent tile

and

2) If for some reason I own both slaughter houses, do I then get +2 income for each additional restaurant?

Thanks
1) Yes. The 2x investment tile is like if you just played the tile again.
2) Yes, I think. I'm pretty sure each tile gets resolved one at a time so you would in theory get two bucks.

Yep. Bonus answer: if you invest on a Lakefront Reality, you immediately get $2 for each tile your lakes are adjacent to (and it'll be $4 for each adjacent for future lakes)

and

+2 income each time someone puts out a restaurant, yes

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
1) Yes. The 2x investment tile is like if you just played the tile again.
2) Yes, I think. I'm pretty sure each tile gets resolved one at a time so you would in theory get two bucks.

Yep. Bonus answer: if you invest on a Lakefront Reality, you immediately get $2 for each tile your lakes are adjacent to (and it'll be $4 for each adjacent for future lakes)

and

+2 income each time someone puts out a restaurant, yes

Thanks guys! I just played against Dale solo. Great game. Taking to a buddies place tomorrow for some gaming. Should go over well. Playing with 4 players I imagine you have to keep a good eye on what you have in your borough so you don't miss out on bonuses.

Thanks guys! I just played against Dale solo. Great game. Taking to a buddies place tomorrow for some gaming. Should go over well. Playing with 4 players I imagine you have to keep a good eye on what you have in your borough so you don't miss out on bonuses.

First game I played was 4 player and we totally didn't realize that "every" meant in other boroughs. Been too busy to be the effective rules lawyer I am meant to be!

Neverfade

There are definitely two camps of people and, obviously, I fall squarely in the Fury of Dracula camp. Funny thing is, I got Letters because I was looking for a game like Fury minus the combat, which is Fury's only downside. Once I played Letters I realized just how good Fury was in comparison and promptly traded it away.

Fury > Whitechapel seconded.

Can't decide if I should get the Eclipse ship pack or not.

If it hits the table a lot for you and people have remarked on how all the ships look alike, then sure. If not, it's really expensive, especially knowing there's a ship pack two for the expansion races.

For that kind of money, you should back the Lagoon kickstarter!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If it hits the table a lot for you and people have remarked on how all the ships look alike, then sure. If not, it's really expensive, especially knowing there's a ship pack two for the expansion races.

For that kind of money, you should back the Lagoon kickstarter!

Yeah, that looks interesting, but I may be Kickstartered out for the time being. Think I will wait on the ship pack.

fenners

Fury > Whitechapel seconded.

Thirded. It may not hit the table much, but I'm glad I've got my copy. Got a /lot/ of good memories of playing it with a buddy back in San Francisco - we'd house rule the combat a little to our taste but otherwise it's a great game experience. There's a ton of subtle tactics that become apparent after a few plays.

I've never played Fury, but I hope to at some point. I have Letters and the one thing I do like is the idea that there is no randomness/luck involved by adding dice into the mix. Plus, I can't help but find the Jack the Ripper theme intriguing -- they've done a great job at emulating the Whitechapel district on the game board.

EYEL1NER

I do, but depending on what night it is I can wind up pulling my whole 12-hr shift stuck in the comm center, so I have plenty of opportunity to play. I just asked a coworker this morning before getting off shift if he wanted to play through some Small World tonight, since we have only gotten one game of that in back a couple weeks ago. Maybe we will give Arkham Horror another shot too. Then again, Duel of the Giants came in last night (and seems to be mold-free!) so I need to start reading the rules for it.
If I wasn't playing games at work, I would be watching movies or surfing the web (albeit a very limited access version of the web, being a govt network).

I am sure this gets asked a lot ITT, but what are some good games to play with a spouse that aren't super in-depth? I've looked at a couple GeekLists on the 'Geek but the only two that I have settled on buying are Jaipur and Hanabi. I'll be going home in three weeks and am looking for some games to play with the non-gaming wife. I don't imagine she would get into Last Night on Earth or Firefly if I brought them home with me. Just something basic I guess. I am thinking about getting Love Letter as well, and maybe bringing Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride home with me (though I just saw that giant 15-year anniversary TtR edition and feel like I need to buy it). The only game I REALLY want to get for an intro game for her is Manila, because I know her filipino-pride would force her to play it. But from the copies I have managed to track down, I have decided that one is a bit too expensive (and never going to get cheaper, unfortunately).
Anyway, any recommendations?

Just bought the Firefly Breaking Atmo pack and the Smash Up Awesome Level 9000 expansion a couple days ago. Probably another 2 weeks at least until they get here though. I'm hoping they arrive before I go home, because I want to try them out. That new Smash Up expansion needs to come out soon. And that box that was being discussed on BGG that will be released that will have a new expansion deck and enough room to house everything needs some more info on it. That alone (and the news of a Halloween expansion that could potentially have vampires and werewolves in it) makes me really sad that I will be out of the country during GenCon. Or if I am back, I will just be getting back and spending time with the family will be slightly more important than driving or flying to GenCon.

I am sure this gets asked a lot ITT, but what are some good games to play with a spouse that aren't super in-depth? I've looked at a couple GeekLists on the 'Geek but the only two that I have settled on buying are Jaipur and Hanabi. I'll be going home in three weeks and am looking for some games to play with the non-gaming wife.

Game that my GF loves to play (she loves gaming though), that is super simple and is 2 player, is The Duke. It's like a fun and simple 2 player chess like game but with more variety and the tile flipping is fun.

EYEL1NER

Game that my GF loves to play (she loves gaming though), that is super simple and is 2 player, is The Duke. It's like a fun and simple 2 player chess like game but with more variety and the tile flipping is fun.

I'll be sure to look that up on BGG tonight while at work. I should have probably mentioned more about her, but she is not a gamer at all. Not into history, video games, anime, comics, sci fi, fantasy, or much of anything else I like. I ended up buying Hanabi, Lost Cities, and Love Letter over night and will track down Jaipur, since that is always highly recommended for couples. Take Carcassonne home with me too and we should have a nice stable of games to play.
I plan to maybe bring Cards Against Humanity and Small World as well, because I might be able to take those to an old friend's house while we are on vacation to MO during my vacation to SC. Played my second game of Small World last night and work and had quite a bit of fun. Only three people though, first time last month was with two. I would like to get a 4 or 5 person game going to see how that plays.

Hi folks!

A friend of mine is going to be hosting a prototype game hosting event called Protospiel San Jose in the near future. Attendance will be free, snacks will be provided and there will be a chance to win prizes. The best part is 3 days to play some awesome games in development! Hope to see you there!

When: May 9th to May 11th

Where: Game Kastle (1350 Coleman Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95050)

Also see: http://www.boardgamebuilders.com/

blurrygil

Ok, time for some tabletop pr0n pics from this past month (and many from this past week)!!

My Current Game Storage (As of 3.2.14)
0A7BB4C7-C088-412C-BE90-627A7866C875.jpg~original

Our UBER custom Zombicide scenario dubbed, "South Mall Mayhem" ----> Board Set-up Before
5a4df427-8a87-4dfe-aa97-2cb4edbae2a1.jpg~original

Board After 4 Hours of Play
fbd1add3-325b-4f8c-8a09-0bce88e95c05.jpg~original

Late Night Zombicide at the Cabin with Friends & First Timers
fd8de44a-83b8-4cae-bd7c-7414dae27555.jpg~original

Being All Fancy With Our Raygun Lounge Reservation
2A59AAA6-C50E-409D-8A84-38B72A647672.jpg~original

PandemicNear-Loss with 6 Infection Cards (SO CLOSE...GUH!!!!)
02D243BC-CF6A-4650-8EF8-76B37AA20B51.jpg~original

Girlfriend Picking Up the "Gateway" Games For Her Collection
61abb67b-d898-4630-8929-b657080f39f1.jpg~original

My Weekend Pickups [3.1.14] (SUBURBIA!!!!!!!!111!!!1!!!)
7DF55D3D-30B1-47CC-844D-F232BB64C8C6.jpg~original

Sad Roll for Friend Playing Fortune & Glory (Jake Zane dies in a single roll on his Cliffhanger, LOL!)
4994CCAC-5071-4A70-A6E1-2F3663B03E62.jpg~original

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Great pics.

Played Suburbia over the weekend with my wife and it went over quite well. Very fun game. Also picked up Tide of Iron:Fury of the Bear. Finally got all the expansions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom