• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't think they are mutually exclusive, but I do think that if you like Smash Up and have the ability to process a bit more complexity you will definitely enjoy Blood Bowl. Blood Bowl is just such a fantastic game overall though. Feel like it's a bit underappreciated but I guess appreciated enough to keep getting great expansions. :)

I never really felt Smash Up and Blood Bowl were similar. You compete over a card, but the games are very different that it never occurred to me to compare them.

I never had Smash Up take 90 min either to play, I mean it can drag on for what it is, but I think worst I ever played was about 40min.

Did the last expansion overfill the box? Cause I had no issue getting in the other sets, only sucky thing is not having dividers and labels for them, going to be forced to pick up more at gencon this year. At least the labels were being given out free

Irrelevant. I want a fancy wooden divider set.

EYEL1NER

I'm going to need to look into Blood Bowl I guess, if people are bringing it up in relation to Smash Up. I love Smash Up and have it and two expansions (first and then newest, want the Cthulu expansion but don't like the idea of the madness cards). I've even been thinking about finding someone to pick up the new Smash Up stuff for me that will be at GenCon.

So yeah, I am now very interested in Blood Bowl.

Mista Koo

Last night's first plays:
  • Love Letter: Great short light game, so easy to get into too.
  • Bang!: I was the sheriff, Willy the Kid and was basically the strongest. The game dragged on forever, I won but it was so boring since I had barely any bang cards and I shouldn't try killing others. The health meters are genius.
  • Avalon: The Resistance: We only played with Merlin and Assassin since the group wasn't big enough, the Assassin saved as the spies. I hate how I almost always play as a spy and I have no idea what to do as a Resistance member lol, also after two rounds as a spy no one trusts you anyway.

Also played King of Tokyo without Tokyo, I call it Queen of the Dance Floor:

YIYERJk.jpg

Played Resistance:Avalon for the first time today with 5,7,9 and 10 players. Seven seemed to be the real sweet spot. Not sure how i feel about Merlin, good can spend the game completely killing it, sweeping quests, then evil gets, at worst a blind 1/4 chance to win the game, so he only really seems fair with a near max number of players. plus it seems to be very difficult to even be useful as Merlin. Other then that, real fun stuff to play with the family, lots of laugh out loud moments.

Neverfade

Without Merlin Avalon is just the shitty version of regular Resistance.

There's definite strategy in playing the character and unless everyone is asleep at the wheel, it's not a blind guess. Additionally, the evil team already HAD a shot at winning once --but perhaps Merlin was too good at his job-- but then that makes the choice easier if so. It's all one circular, beautiful Ferris wheel of scheming.

I'm itching to get One Night Ultimate Werewolf. I still loooove playing Avalon but the mood has to be right otherwise people feel really strained and tense after a round or two. Enough of my friends have plenty of eperience with Werewolf so I hope ONUW can be the happy medium for everyone.

Karkador

Banned
You can pretty much play ONUW with a regular werewolf set (or a homemade one) and the free app. At the very least, you can try it out before buying

ONW has had a bit more of a mixed reception in my gaming group from the 4-5 times I've played it. There's been a couple of times we played in a group of 8, where there was only 1 werewolf who never ended up getting swapped so was pretty easy to figure out the baddie.

Avalon seems to work better if only because it's very rare that anyone gets totally ignored (even an obvious baddie can have an impact due to the voting/mission selection). Plus almost everyone has memorised the "close your eyes" spiel - the Werewolf one still needs learning!

The free app they have for the night direction stuff is really really useful. No one needs to remember the order and it clearly says what every role has to do.

Tried that but unfortunately it's too quiet to hear in the FLGS where we play - they have a habit of blaring 'Tabletop' episodes on the big screen so the narrator tends to get drowned out by Wil Weaton.

Karkador

Banned
Tried that but unfortunately it's too quiet to hear in the FLGS where we play - they have a habit of blaring 'Tabletop' episodes on the big screen so the narrator tends to get drowned out by Wil Weaton.

One person can still listen to it (while keeping their eyes closed, so they can still play) while saying it out loud for everyone

ultron87

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Haha yeah, the app is awesome (love apps that improve the play experience -- like this and 7 Wonders) but it does often fall victim to phone-speaker syndrome if you are in a busy area.

Neverfade

There's a Coup expansion Kickstarter up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/coup-reformation-kickstarter-edition?ref=live

It seems like it really just adds a "faction" mechanic to the game which adds another strategy layer onto the game. This BGG post sums it up pretty well. It'll also include the previously KS exclusive Inquisitor card, which I've been wanting for awhile, and cards so you can play with more people. I'm totally down with that for 15 bucks.

15 fucking bucks? Amazing. I also wrote a rules summary in this very thread a few months back. As either that or the linked article will show, the expansion is essentially implemented with a number of double sided tokens equal to the number of players. You can use a coin, a playing card, literally anything two sided. Plus, the inquisitor also replaces a role from the base game. You don't even need the new card, just play the rules whenever that role is played. This should be a pay what you want 3 dollar deal TMG style.

There's a Coup expansion Kickstarter up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/coup-reformation-kickstarter-edition?ref=live

It seems like it really just adds a "faction" mechanic to the game which adds another strategy layer onto the game. This BGG post sums it up pretty well. It'll also include the previously KS exclusive Inquisitor card, which I've been wanting for awhile, and cards so you can play with more people. I'm totally down with that for 15 bucks.

Our group is head over heels in love with Coup at the moment. I'll definitely be picking up the expansion, but I worry it'll change the game too much.

Just ordered Glass Road and 1893 Bruxelles.
Glass Road is quite good. I picked it up last week as a birthday gift for myself and have played it a few times with my wife. Manipulating the resource wheel can be challenging but once you figure out how to make it work for you you feel awesome. It's also a stupid fast game. My wife and I finish a game in less than 45 minutes.

Musan

You don't need to buy Coup to play, you can use a normal deck of cards. Jack-Ace for the roles, everything else for money. I think you can also use coins for the Reformation expansion.

EYEL1NER

So $30 for the Coup KS Edition AND the exclusive KS edition of the expansion?
Damn, I might finally be backing something on KS I guess. The game, expansion, and a bunch of promo cards for $30 doesn't sound bad. Then again, if it comes out in August, I will possibly be back in the states for good at that point and will no longer have my coworker that I game with around. So it is very possible that the game will get delivered and then sit in a shelf forever.

Chairhome

An old friend of mine came to visit with her husband, and turns out they're big into board games. I took him to a local spot that carried games and he found the one that he had been looking for (Betrayal at House on the Hill). After looking into it... I should've picked one up, too. Looks like a lot of fun, and I guess its scarce now that it's been featured on Tabletop. Gonna call around some local stores today and see if I can track down a copy... seems sold out everywhere else (or expensive)

There was a recent reprint of Betrayal, but yea tabletop helped in it selling out again along with many were waiting for the reprint for a while now.

daevv

If you want the official version, easiest way to get it now is to back the expansion's kickstarter. You can get the original game and the expansion together.

That's what I did. For $35 I get both shipped to me in Canada. That's way cheaper than what Coup alone is going for since it went out of print. Also signed up for the Gen Con pickup.

I've also been keeping an eye on a Canadian Kickstarter game called Allegiance: A Realm Divided. It's similar to MTG or the iOS/physical game Shadow Era. It was cancelled last year in their first attempt but back now and has hit the halfway mark with 25 days to go. It looks like a 2 player game but can play up to 3 or 4. Looking through the rule book it has a cool free for all rule where you attack to the left only but it's not the last person standing that wins it's the first to defeat another player. Could create some unique games where on one turn you are defending from a player trying to beat you only to then help them fend off attacks from a different player. Lots of components and cards plus the pledge includes free shipping to NA.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ug-games/allegiance-a-realm-divided-0?ref=users

Leunam

Question for you guys:

The other night after a game of Formula D between me and three other friends we got to talking about board game design. One of the guys in the group is working with some friends on a board game which is nearing completion. From the stuff they've shared it looks like I would enjoy it, and I've considered pitching some of my ideas to them.

One of the other guys brings up his own ideas for smartphone integration. His initial idea is for an app for tracking tokens, counters, number totals, etc. The rest of us have no problem with this, as long as the app is free, and it is completely optional. At this point I tell him that I'd rather spend money and resources working on the game and let fans make their own free apps. But he was very insistent that it could be something integral to the game. We told him that not everyone has a smartphone, and he disagreed, even after we pointed out one of the guys with us (the designer) doesn't have a smartphone and it would exclude him from the game.

We went on to tell him that a big part of the feel of a board game is managing physical items, cards, tokens, whatever. This was especially important for a game like Formula D, where you have a mini-gearbox for shifting gears and tracking vehicle wear. Seeing stacks of tokens can give a good visual cue as to where your opponent stands in the game, and it changes your approach. Relegating that to a smartphone kind of takes that away.

The last idea he had was potentially having USB ports on the board for connecting your phone. This is where the rest of us were completely against the idea and what essentially killed any possible discussion of using apps for games we design.

We touched on other things like the phone serving as a distraction, battery life, compatibility between the different OS's, and availability.

Which I guess brings me to my question: How do you guys feel about smartphone integration with boardgames? Worthwhile or not?

I think it could be useful for things like hidden information or things that change dynamically but I would avoid it for just replacing money or something like that.

Karkador

Banned
There are some Netrunner nerds who use an app to track money and clicks and stuff. It's neat, I guess...but I like having physical pieces.

One problem with digitizing a board game (and this is true for tablet/PC/online versions of board games, too), it's hard to undo mistakes and accidents. If I'm playing a board game with reasonable people, they will usually allow people to take back a move that was done in error - and it's usually pretty easy to step back a move or two. Sadly, I've found that to NOT be the case in a lot of digital implementations of board games. Once you click the wrong thing, you're stuck with it.

But to more directly answer your question, I think there might be some room for integrating electronics and smartphones and such into board games - but so far, your friend's ideas sound very superfluous.

I think it would be cool if an app faciliated playing a game that would normally take a lot of math and bookkeeping. You could let some math-obsessed designer go wild with complexity while still making the game smooth and accessible for many players.

blurrygil

Anyone have a Descent 1.0 core that they don't want anymore?

I've been bitten by the 2E bug and want to get fully stuck in... :p

Which I guess brings me to my question: How do you guys feel about smartphone integration with boardgames? Worthwhile or not?

For researching info, hidden or otherwise.

Other than that: You turn that shit off at my table or sit out in the rain.

fenners

Anyone have a Descent 1.0 core that they don't want anymore?

I've got a spare 1E core that's had the shrinkwrap taken off but everything inside is still in the original sealed polybags etc.. Completely unplayed... Shipping would be a pain for the FFG coffin box..

Leunam

Thanks for the replies so far.

For tracking data, I agree that apps can definitely be useful. But we like the feel and sight of stacks of tokens in our play area. I was telling my friends that while playing Netrunner earlier in the day I felt intimidated seeing the pile of credits on my friends side of the table. It was only around twenty credits, but a pile can put you in a certain frame of mind that influences your game.

Hiding information or doing research using an app makes a ton of sense. Didn't even think of that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I find it hugely beneficial for things like stat-tracking (not in-game, but results, with the sort of game-specific stat tracking that no all-purpose tracking solution like BGG can provide -- see 7 Wonders app -- the amount of stuff they track is incredible), randomization (start player, kingdom cards, wonders, etc.), and reference (e.g., for symbols -- though a searchable rulebook would be an incredible idea that I don't think anyone has implemented).

A really good reference app to that end would be the official 7 Wonders companion app. Decent ones would also include Sentinels Sidekick and the Fantasy Strike app (randomization only).

In terms of replacing physical elements, I'm not really into that either. FFG seems fixated on this type of app and I just find them professional looking but mostly useless to me. If they released a Netrunner app that had great stat-tracking, a searchable manual, etc.? I'd be all over that.

Has anybody played Fleet? I'm trying to figure out what people are seeing in it that I'm not. The game seems interesting on paper, fun theme, multiuse cards, engine/tableau building, and a fast playing time. What's not to like? Apparently something because I'm not seeing the appeal.

I think the game's short length might be it's major problem. The game ends right before it starting to get good. It's like if you finished Agricola after the first harvest phase. Sure you've built something at that point but nothing you planned for came into fruition.

Is this normal? I believe we had the proper amount of licenses setup (10 in a three player game). We only played, maybe, six rounds before the license cards were depleted. Which is one end game condition, the other is running out of fish crates, but I have no idea how that is possible given the size of the license deck.

EDIT: And I'm an idiot. We screwed up the setup, should be twice as many cards. I'm going to give it another shot to see if it gets better.

Phthisis

In the most recent math trade, someone posted a brand new copy of the Memoir 44 Air Pack. Grain of salt, obviously, but that's worth a bit of money if it's real.

In the most recent math trade, someone posted a brand new copy of the Memoir 44 Air Pack. Grain of salt, obviously, but that's worth a bit of money if it's real.

I sold a '44 Airpack on ebay for about $120 dollars last year. Has it gone up much from there?

edit: oh its about $180 now.

Holy crap I should sell mine. I never even used it and it's like mint still. It added too much complexity to M44 to me, neat idea but had as many rules as the whole game just to add in the airpack.

I like phone-integration when it's used for:

Randomized game setup: Being able to quickly set up a game like Dominion or others that have a long setup process is a huge help.

Real-time games: The phone app for Space Alert is one of the best things you can get. It even adds randomized missions, which is great! I also have the Escape app, but mostly for the ease of locating and playing the mp3s.

I'm not much of a fan elsewise, unless it's for a bookkeeping service such as One Night Ultimate Werewolf. But if I'm playing a game where every move matters and it is about the pieces, I want that tactile part of board game, and the ability to easily fix mistakes.

zulux21

Takenoko is a good buy if your looking for a good, light family game. If you want something heavier, Eclipse at $50 is not bad and Nations at $55 is good too. Both Eclipse and Nations are solid games.

eclipse requires the right group... the game of eclipse I played, my wife and I didn't have any fun, a guy who is normally easy going left in the middle of the game pissed off, and the other few players were having an ok time. I've heard in general it's very good for what it is, but it's clearly not a game everyone can get into.

nations sounds interesting, but I have problems spending more than $30 on games I haven't played before.. I did pick up rise of augustus, tokaido, takenoko, and koryo though, as they all seem like good filler games (games to play inbetween bigger more serious games) and can be played with two players so if it's just me and my wife we can play them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Eclipse really hits home with a lot of people because it threads the needle nicely between Euro and thematic/confrontational. Kinda like how Twilight Struggle does too. But yeah it can take maybe an hour to learn well and the playtime is usually 2.5-3.5 hours for 4-6 players unless you have people who can take turns quickly. Other issue is if you get attacked early it can really cripple you, but you did usually play some role in this (e.g., not responding to an opponent's buildup) AND even better then you can turn the game into a minigame of doing anything you can to screw/hobble the person who attacked you (pretty fun imo, and a fair part of the cost of being ruthless in that game).

I love it ... but that said I own both expansions and have these nice playfield things and I haven't played it since BGG.Con, so yeah you really need the right setup for it to hit the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom