• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYEL1NER

That 40K LCG does look interesting. I showed it to a buddy and he was immediately sold on it, which is cool because it means he will buy it and I will get to play it (if it comes out soon anyway). I kind of sucks though because he was planning on buying Netrunner and I was really hyped about that.

I made my first CSI purchase last night. Their APO shipping rates are pretty high, so I have never even considered seriously buying something from them. Since I will be home at my apartment for vacation in a couple days though, I decided to look around a bit. Imagine my surprise when I saw that Jaipur came in stock yesterday! Guess it got a reprint and it has started making its way around to different retailers. I added that shit to my cart pronto and then proceeded to add the new Smash Up expansion (can't wait to play the new classes, they sound OP as hell) and Forbidden Desert. I went to my coworker and asked if there was anything he wanted, because I wanted to place an order and I could throw some of his stuff on there to hit $100, then bring it back up here on my flight when vacation is over. He wanted to get back into Magic and get me into it and ended up dropping quite a bit on some stuff a couple days ago but he said sure and had me add 16 or so booster packs to my order to put me at a hundo.

That stuff is supposed to get to my apartment the day after I do, so that will be nice. The only other game I would die to have to play with my wife is Manila, but the prices on that will have me looking for a while I bet. Glad to get Jaipur now though.

KJ869

Netrunner and WH40k LCG seem very diffrent kind of games. Netrunner is assymmetrical and theres no battlesystem or anything.

EYEL1NER

Netrunner and WH40k LCG seem very diffrent kind of games. Netrunner is assymmetrical and theres no battlesystem or anything.
Oh, I don't think he is looking for something that is the same. I have been reading about Netrunner for a while and hyping it up to him, hoping he would buy it and we could play. He told me recently that the most fun he has had playing games with me at work is when we play Smash Up, and that is because he greatly prefers card games to board games. So he dropped a bunch of dollars on MtG cards recently so we could play and was telling me that he was getting more interested in Netrunner. I was like "That's great! You pick that up and I will get Pathfinder and Thunderstone and we will be set on card games!" Turns out he used to be really big into 40K and his reaction last night when I saw the link in here and showed him was "Welp, looks like Netrunner will have to wait a while longer, because I am getting that. Hell, I'll even pre-order it!"

Not what I wanted to hear.
I suppose I'll have to buy it, if it would only drop a tad bit closer to $20 for the base set.

octobot

Myth arrived today! Components seem decent and I was really surprised at how good the metal hero inserts and treasure tokens are. Haven't sleeved anything yet and I still need to give the rules another go before my first play through on Friday. Also looking at the list of items that are coming in the next shipment this game is going to require a lot more storage than the core box provides.

1982258_10153962512310525_845555290_n.jpg

1509875_10153962512240525_266588961_n.jpg

1511350_10153962512110525_1947431762_n.jpg

1381584_10153962512155525_30577191_n.jpg

1911933_10153962512195525_1773420008_n.jpg

Just came across a $60 collectors edition of Metal Gear Solid Risk at a local game store. I've always wanted one but have no idea what a normal price range is on it. Should I just go ahead and buy this one regardless as its the last they have in stock?

I think there's a difference between the Collector's set (which may have been limited run) and the regular edition you see in stores.

They both were called "limited edition", but they are exact same contents. The one you find in stores is the basic edition. The other limited edition was the exclusive from buying it direct from USAopoly and featured different box art, but that is only difference, the box.

Karkador

Banned
They both were called "limited edition", but they are exact same contents. The one you find in stores is the basic edition. The other limited edition was the exclusive from buying it direct from USAopoly and featured different box art, but that is only difference, the box.

Lol, seriously? No pewter figurines or anything?

Karkador

Banned
It's a pretty neat game, but I kinda wish it included the expansion in the regular box. The base game probably gets old kind of quick, but I only played it once.

Ferrio

Banned
So my friend recently got introduced to Quarto, and he promptly bought it himself and introduced me to it. It's a great one-on-one game, that's basically a complex version of tic-tac-toe. The rules are simple, complete a row of 4 pieces that share a common trait. The traits are short/tall, solid/hole, round/square, white/black. If a 4 pieces all share atleast one of those traits, it's a win. The last rule is you don't pick your piece, your opponent does after their move. This makes the game revolve around setting up win conditions and denying your opponent winning pieces.. but forcing them to give you winning pieces.

Great game.

C1dpSyf.jpg

Apenheul

Ugh, last night I was playing Terra Mystica with 4 other guys, we were almost in the final round and three people still had a decent chance of winning when all of a sudden my dog decided to jump on the table out of nowhere and all the pieces moved all over the place :( I need a higher table

blurrygil

Ugh, last night I was playing Terra Mystica with 4 other guys, we were almost in the final round and three people still had a decent chance of winning when all of a sudden my dog decided to jump on the table out of nowhere and all the pieces moved all over the place :( I need a higher table

bad-dog.gif

blurrygil

Myth arrived today! Components seem decent and I was really surprised at how good the metal hero inserts and treasure tokens are. Haven't sleeved anything yet and I still need to give the rules another go before my first play through on Friday. Also looking at the list of items that are coming in the next shipment this game is going to require a lot more storage than the core box provides.

1982258_10153962512310525_845555290_n.jpg

1509875_10153962512240525_266588961_n.jpg

1511350_10153962512110525_1947431762_n.jpg

1381584_10153962512155525_30577191_n.jpg

1911933_10153962512195525_1773420008_n.jpg

That looks absolutely fantastic, man. Thanks for the pics. More in the future, I hope.

I skipped out on the KS because:

A) I didn't like the artwork. Seemed too cartoony based on the theme, for my tastes. But dem metal tokens!!

B) I was already committed to a mess of other tabletop projects. Particularly Zombicide Season 2.

However, I am in for MERCS: Recon. Looks promising and a much better design for its theme as a CQ room-to-room combat game.

Karkador

Banned
Anyone else contribute to the Heroes Wanted kickstarter when it was up? Game looks like a ton of fun and I'm a sucker for superheroes.

I thought the idea of the board/scenario being a newspaper (and there being many different scenarios/papers to play on) was a very neat idea, but every superhero-themed game I've played so far has left a lot to be desired.

blurrygil

I thought the idea of the board/scenario being a newspaper (and there being many different scenarios/papers to play on) was a very neat idea, but every superhero-themed game I've played so far has left a lot to be desired.

Even Sentinels of the Multiverse...? :'(

That looks absolutely fantastic, man. Thanks for the pics. More in the future, I hope.

A) I didn't like the artwork. Seemed too cartoony based on the theme, for my tastes. But dem metal tokens!!

B) I was already committed to a mess of other tabletop projects. Particularly Zombicide Season 2.

However, I am in for MERCS: Recon. Looks promising and a much better design for its theme as a CQ room-to-room combat game.

Mercs is same art and sculptors as myth. But their minis have always been better than their artwork.

Have any of you played the standard game of MERCS? I think I want to buy a couple army boxes, and just play it like a board game, is it worth grabbing? I like the 5v5 aspect of it, its what I wanted out of Infinity, but I couldnt get that to work out right, so I never bought any of those minis, haha.

octobot

I'm not too crazy about the art myself (I received a signed litho of the box cover but not sure what I'll do with it). But I do like all the graphic design elements (icons etc) that they used. The minis however are real great and the aesthetic of their art seemed to fit 3d better.

I plan on playing some Myth today (Friday) so I'll take some more pics of the game (and can offer more opinion of how it plays)

I'm keeping an eye on the Mercs kickstarter but mainly for the $40 Myth level (tapped out my kickstarter budget for a bit with a GameFrame)

Have any of you played the standard game of MERCS? I think I want to buy a couple army boxes, and just play it like a board game, is it worth grabbing? I like the 5v5 aspect of it, its what I wanted out of Infinity, but I couldnt get that to work out right, so I never bought any of those minis, haha.

You can play army box vs army box, but I believe the armies are not exactly balanced to play against each other. Infinity I still say is the most balanced miniature game out there.

And Merc is typical skirmish wargame, so it is very rules heavy.

octobot

Punched out all the components, sleeved the cards and organized the bits. Going to start with the first quest tutorial listed on the Myth website as my introduction to play.

1979704_10153970261200525_1730904285_n.jpg

You can play army box vs army box, but I believe the armies are not exactly balanced to play against each other. Infinity I still say is the most balanced miniature game out there.

And Merc is typical skirmish wargame, so it is very rules heavy.

How else would you play MERCS? I thought it was supposed to just be box vs box?

Infinity seems awesome, but I just want a 5v5 game, I dont want to have to worry about points.

Apenheul

Punched out all the components, sleeved the cards and organized the bits. Going to start with the first quest tutorial listed on the Myth website as my introduction to play.
Looking forward to your impressions, have you played Gears of War the board game? I hope it scratches that same itch.

octobot

Looking forward to your impressions, have you played Gears of War the board game? I hope it scratches that same itch.

I haven't played Gears (ive played the D&D boardgames, Descent, Pathfinder adventure card game and Mage Knight as similar games)

My quick impressions are that the game has a lot of potential. In my play through I had to stop a bunch and check rules and reference FAQs etc. I really like the hero decks and how they function different from each other (I played the soldier and brigand and the abilities and how each deck functioned felt different). How the Darkness (the AI opposition) operates is neat, the more the heroes perform big actions to hurt the Darkness the more it activates. The base gameplay seems very open ended, I was only playing the predetermined tutorial but in the real game you have a lot of control of how many enemies you face and what sort of tiles you encounter. I am going to watch some play through videos to see if that helps with the areas I'm not certain on. Overall I liked what I played and am looking forward to more

I actually think the art in Myth is what would make it approachable for more people. I really like the cartoony vibe, though that's coming from a perspective that doesn't really get into the serious fantasy look of games like Descent or DnD board games.

Heck, my group really gets into games like Super Dungeon Explore even though Descent (2.0?) is probably quicker, more streamlined, and probably just better and more strategic. My group scoffs at the ideas of long games (won't play anything that might go over 90 minutes at times) but will gladly sit through a 3 hour Super Dungeon Explore session and feel like it took no time at all.

Though, Myth was probably the last kickstarter I'll ever do. It was a fun run of trying it but researching, watching playthroughs, and seeing impressions after release makes me okay to wait.

Unless it has super cool exclusives. Though what does it say that I feel the Coup and Flash Point expansion kickstarters were my favorite ones to do?

blurrygil

Mercs is same art and sculptors as myth. But their minis have always been better than their artwork.

Indeed. The gameplay itself is what sounds intriguing for me. A friend of mine just backed it, so there's a shine of promise to me right there. :D

1979704_10153970261200525_1730904285_n.jpg

Nice shelf back there. Need pics of that!

Those aren't ALL of the map tiles, are there? :-o

I actually think the art in Myth is what would make it approachable for more people. I really like the cartoony vibe, though that's coming from a perspective that doesn't really get into the serious fantasy look of games like Descent or DnD board games.

Heck, my group really gets into games like Super Dungeon Explore even though Descent (2.0?) is probably quicker, more streamlined, and probably just better and more strategic. My group scoffs at the ideas of long games (won't play anything that might go over 90 minutes at times) but will gladly sit through a 3 hour Super Dungeon Explore session and feel like it took no time at all.

Though, Myth was probably the last kickstarter I'll ever do. It was a fun run of trying it but researching, watching playthroughs, and seeing impressions after release makes me okay to wait.

Unless it has super cool exclusives. Though what does it say that I feel the Coup and Flash Point expansion kickstarters were my favorite ones to do?

I'm finally learning SDE and actually gonna start playing with the gf tonight. So much Q&A, I've learned, due to the original rulebook being just TERRIBLE.

However, after all the assembly and learning of the game, I'm stoke for tonight. SDE is just plain pretty and exciting on the eyes. That's likely why my group wants to finally play it; even if it is a fairly long and rule-checky game.

*Disclaimer: I've owned the SDE box for a year and a half now w/o ever opening it. Been distracted by too many other games. Plus I was very intimidated by the assembly. So I would just keep putting off opening the box. That, and I got the game for only $45 new. So I didn't worry about the investment. :)

Karkador

Banned
I tried playing Madeira the other night. You guys...I think I found my limit for things I'll tolerate from a eurogame... Dear Europe: there is such a thing as "too much" in board games.

Karkador

Banned
That is the most european euro game to have ever europed.

Yeah D:

But why stop at dice-rolling worker placement area control area activation resource management ability-buying colonization when you can also do like Agricola and make you have to feed your people (AND FEED YOUR SHIPS) or else you suffer negative VPs EVERY ROUND

I felt like I lost the game every round, holy shit.

Honestly, I felt like the game had a lot in common with Troyes (using a central pool of dice to activate board actions), except Troyes is a lot more cohesive and coherent of a game, and the thing with the dice is a lot more interesting. I'd rather play Troyes. You should all play Troyes.

I tried playing Madeira the other night. You guys...I think I found my limit for things I'll tolerate from a eurogame... Dear Europe: there is such a thing as "too much" in board games.
This was played at a table next to me at game night. It looked really busy and involved. I still want to give it a try, but I really like hard as nails Euros.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
For Stooge: Will this include the super-duper extra cards version?

Edit: I see the press release thingy addresses this with the expansion released later this year.

No, for a couple of reasons. Mostly logistics, but we have a nice surprise for the expansion that I don't think anyone sees coming :)

octobot

Indeed. The gameplay itself is what sounds intriguing for me. A friend of mine just backed it, so there's a shine of promise to me right there. :D

Nice shelf back there. Need pics of that!

Those aren't ALL of the map tiles, are there? :-o

There are more tiles, that's all I needed for the tutorial. There are 10 double sided realm tiles in the base game (with more coming with the stretch goal second shipment). I'll take a pic of my shelf tomorrow:)

Karkador

Banned
Would anyone like to help me write the new OT? We are slowly but surely approaching 20,000 posts. I can do the graphic design, but writing everything is hard

Got our copy of Myth, as well, and now the sleeving-weirdo in me wishes I had gotten the matching extra sleeves since the custom ones are so nice for the heroes.

Probably going to try a solo adventure to learn the rules, but man, after looking through that tome of a rule book, we've resolved to trying a game later knowing full well we're going to be confused/lost the whole time.

Still ages better a rulebook than Super Dungeon Explore's though!

Neverfade

Don't think I mentioned this last week, but played the most bizzare game of Innovation ever. Buddy of mine scored 138 points... and lost. WTF.

Mista Koo

Played Alien Frontiers for the first time today, I've enjoyed it. The mechanics were very simple but interesting enough once I actually understood them.
The game ended with 3 players tying 2 points away from the winner, who wasn't the only person who actually played the game before.

So my friend recently got introduced to Quarto, and he promptly bought it himself and introduced me to it. It's a great one-on-one game, that's basically a complex version of tic-tac-toe. The rules are simple, complete a row of 4 pieces that share a common trait. The traits are short/tall, solid/hole, round/square, white/black. If a 4 pieces all share atleast one of those traits, it's a win. The last rule is you don't pick your piece, your opponent does after their move. This makes the game revolve around setting up win conditions and denying your opponent winning pieces.. but forcing them to give you winning pieces.

Great game.

C1dpSyf.jpg
I had this as a kid ages ago, alongside Abalone and two games I can't remember.
I wonder how different it would be if I played it now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Played Alien Frontiers for the first time today, I've enjoyed it. The mechanics were very simple but interesting enough once I actually understood them.
The game ended with 3 players tying 2 points away from the winner, who wasn't the only person who actually played the game before.

I had this as a kid ages ago, alongside Abalone and two games I can't remember.
I wonder how different it would be if I played it now.

Taking a stab at it based on my own youth:

Othello/Reversi.

Also a great game.

Apenheul

Yesterday I've played A Game of Thrones 2nd edition for the first time, one of my colleagues brought it and we played it with six players. I was playing the Greyjoy house and sat between a very aggressive player and a diplomatic one, since I was constantly holding off the aggressive Stark player I earned the sympathy of the others. Nobody was feeling sorry for him when I took over some of this areas, and by the time they realized that I almost had seven castles it was too late for the other players to do something about it. Perhaps it was because I've never seen the TV series or read the books that it didn't really click with me, it didn't feel the slightest bit of epic to me. As someone who appreciates the elegance of Diplomacy's battle system and how it creates tension I thought GoT's was unnecessarily puzzly due to some design choices that seemed just there so satisfy the theme and prevent players from dominating by numbers.

I guess it's just not my kind of game.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yesterday I've played A Game of Thrones 2nd edition for the first time,
I guess it's just not my kind of game.

Burn him!

But yeah, AGOT, like BSG, is a game encumbered with extra "Stuff" to match the theme. If you dig the theme, it is great, if you don't, then it weighs the game down. It also relies heavily on metagaming bargaining, if folks are doing that then it can really fall flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom